Shadowman #1 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.
Re: Shadowman #1 Discussion

Post by grendeljd »

JustinJordan wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Maybe it plays off the personality of the Host when it generates the 'costume', thus it would be different every time. And in this case it would be drawing on the subconscious as Jack likely has no idea what just happened to him at the end of the issue... :?
This is actually what happened. Jack would, were he trained the way he ought to have been, be able to change the costume to look like whatever he wants. Since he didn't, the Loa drew from his mind what it thought it ought to look like.

And I'm glad y'all dug it - we're pretty proud of the book.

Seriously, this just made my week. Glad I was in tune with the intention - thanks for the response, Justin!

BugsySig wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:I thought it was very interesting what Justin said about the costume- It could be anything he wants it to be if trained.

I know Grendeljd is in a design contest- Good luck man, that would be mind blowing to design something that could potentialy show up in the book :hope:

Interesting...now the "redesign a recently redesigned character" contest makes a little more sense...cool beans for the winner if it turns out to be true.
Hot damn, that would be pretty awesome if the contest winning designs get used somehow, based on Justin & Patch's concept for how the new Shadowman outfit works!

I don't think this will be the case though - The website that is hosting the contest is all about doing costume redesigns just for the sake of it, its their whole M.O. &/or reason for being. If this contest was mining for a costume variant idea to use, I think they would have stated that as part of the rules. And as far as i know, Valiant is just providing some comic bundle prizes for the top 3 designs...

I wouldn't doubt that they may do a little talent scouting based on the submissions though :D :hope:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

liked the start of shadowman...however it felt rushed...I think it could have benefited from 2 or 3 more pages...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

ShadowTuga
Chapa Zero in Portuguese translated to English would be Chapa Zero.
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

grendeljd wrote:
JustinJordan wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Maybe it plays off the personality of the Host when it generates the 'costume', thus it would be different every time. And in this case it would be drawing on the subconscious as Jack likely has no idea what just happened to him at the end of the issue... :?
This is actually what happened. Jack would, were he trained the way he ought to have been, be able to change the costume to look like whatever he wants. Since he didn't, the Loa drew from his mind what it thought it ought to look like.

Seriously, this just made my week. Glad I was in tune with the intention - thanks for the response, Justin!

BugsySig wrote:
hawkeyeps wrote:I thought it was very interesting what Justin said about the costume- It could be anything he wants it to be if trained.

I know Grendeljd is in a design contest- Good luck man, that would be mind blowing to design something that could potentialy show up in the book :hope:

Interesting...now the "redesign a recently redesigned character" contest makes a little more sense...cool beans for the winner if it turns out to be true.
Hot damn, that would be pretty awesome if the contest winning designs get used somehow, based on Justin & Patch's concept for how the new Shadowman outfit works!

I don't think this will be the case though - The website that is hosting the contest is all about doing costume redesigns just for the sake of it, its their whole M.O. &/or reason for being. If this contest was mining for a costume variant idea to use, I think they would have stated that as part of the rules. And as far as i know, Valiant is just providing some comic bundle prizes for the top 3 designs...

I wouldn't doubt that they may do a little talent scouting based on the submissions though :D :hope:
I think that my biggest issue with the suit is not that it comes out of nowhere, it's just how "functional" and "cool" it is, for a 21st century person; I think I would have swallowed it better if Jack was wearing some sort of "voodoo ceremonial clothes", if I'm making any sense.
But then, THOSE can be ceremonial clothes, in a way (the symbol on the shirt)...
Anyway, this is a nitpick; and after a 3rd read, I'm growing into it (the rest of the book was great, imho).

And Mr. Jordan, it's a very classy gesture of you and Mr. Zircher to take time and talk to the fans. It speaks volumes for the passion you guys have for this book. :clap:
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

grendeljd
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Re-read this again last night, caught the license plate on the creature-cop car; DAV LPH

Nice nod. :wink: :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JustinJordan
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by JustinJordan »

ShadowTuga wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
JustinJordan wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

BugsySig wrote:

I think that my biggest issue with the suit is not that it comes out of nowhere, it's just how "functional" and "cool" it is, for a 21st century person; I think I would have swallowed it better if Jack was wearing some sort of "voodoo ceremonial clothes", if I'm making any sense.
But then, THOSE can be ceremonial clothes, in a way (the symbol on the shirt)...
Anyway, this is a nitpick; and after a 3rd read, I'm growing into it (the rest of the book was great, imho).

And Mr. Jordan, it's a very classy gesture of you and Mr. Zircher to take time and talk to the fans. It speaks volumes for the passion you guys have for this book. :clap:

No problem! I like talking to people about it. I try to keep a light touch with the forum, because I don't want people to not say what's on their minds just because we're around and about. I don't know that it would necessarily happen that way, but it crosses my mind, you know.

As to Jack's costume - well, like I said, the idea is that the Loa took from Jack's mind what it should look like. Fundamentally, it looks that way because that's what Jack thinks it ought to look like - so you get something that is somewhere between a superhero costume and tactical gear because of Jack. Because he's a young guy raised on comic books and movies, so it formed his mental image of that.

Which, I get, doesn't necessarily work for everyone. On the upside, you will see, eventually, previous Shadowmen with different costumes.

ShadowTuga
Valiant fan since: 2012

Post by ShadowTuga »

JustinJordan wrote:
ShadowTuga wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
JustinJordan wrote:
grendeljd wrote:

BugsySig wrote:

No problem! I like talking to people about it. I try to keep a light touch with the forum, because I don't want people to not say what's on their minds just because we're around and about. I don't know that it would necessarily happen that way, but it crosses my mind, you know.

As to Jack's costume - well, like I said, the idea is that the Loa took from Jack's mind what it should look like. Fundamentally, it looks that way because that's what Jack thinks it ought to look like - so you get something that is somewhere between a superhero costume and tactical gear because of Jack. Because he's a young guy raised on comic books and movies, so it formed his mental image of that.

Which, I get, doesn't necessarily work for everyone. On the upside, you will see, eventually, previous Shadowmen with different costumes.
:) I get it. So Shadowman "works with" Jack's mind, rather than simply possessing him as a different entity; and so there's traces of Jack's personality that made the suit look like that...
I'll be honest, that explanation alone makes it work for me. I see the light now, or rather the shadow. :D
And Many Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
“To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to receive it or not.”
Yamamoto Tsunetomo

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

JustinJordan wrote:This is actually what happened. Jack would, were he trained the way he ought to have been, be able to change the costume to look like whatever he wants.

On the upside, you will see, eventually, previous Shadowmen with different costumes.
So, you are saying that Josiah purposefully wanted to look like Shaft? :D

(Maybe the Shadowman of the 1940s will look like Superman. That is an "S" on the chest, right?) :P

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

greg wrote:
JustinJordan wrote:This is actually what happened. Jack would, were he trained the way he ought to have been, be able to change the costume to look like whatever he wants.

On the upside, you will see, eventually, previous Shadowmen with different costumes.

(Maybe the Shadowman of the 1940s will look like Superman. That is an "S" on the chest, right?) :P
So there may be a loincloth-sporting Shadowman or one that wears socks and sandals?!?! :o
:hm:

JustinJordan
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by JustinJordan »

greg wrote:

Who wouldn't want to look like Shaft?

superggraphics
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by superggraphics »

Hey Justin,

Thanks for your reboot of Shadowman... Absolutely my favorite of all the original Valiant characters... I looove the new look!!! Please stay on the book for as long as possible and keep knocking it out of the park!!!

G

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

JustinJordan wrote: Who wouldn't want to look like Shaft?
+1 they say that cat Shaft is a baaaaad mother....
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Shut your mouth!

manga4life
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by manga4life »

Amazing first issue and the absolute best issue Valiant has put out yet, for me it's right up there with Harbinger #3 and X-O #4 for me (my two favorite issues Valiant released) and I'd say it definitely surpassed them. The art was amazing, it reminds me a lot of classic early 90's Image (which I loved) and the writing was awesome and left me wanting more, especially of this Mr. Twist character who just seems so badass after that awesome intro. I think the debate about the end and whether or not Jack knew of the Shadowman mantle before hand is a bit silly, I believe he's obviously under the control of the power and it's going to guide and help him along the way, I don't think he knew it existed before hand and will probably spend some time figuring it all out when he's not in action.

I loved the story about his parents and him trying to find them along with the answers he found, that would have been my reaction too if I was Jack. All in all everything about this issue was spectacular and I am heavily anticipating the second issue in December, it just sucks having to wait a whole month but at least there are other Valiant books to read in the interim.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

JustinJordan
I make Valiant comics.
I make Valiant comics.

Post by JustinJordan »

Blood of Heroes wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Shut your mouth!
I'm just talkin' bout Shaft.

Chris Campbell
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by Chris Campbell »

I never read Shadowman before, so this is my first issue! Absolutely loved the story, the art, the hero and the villains. What else is there!? Kudos, guys.
Valiant Podcast available on iTunes, Stitcher, and by direct download at Taylor Network

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Chris Campbell wrote:I never read Shadowman before, so this is my first issue! Absolutely loved the story, the art, the hero and the villains. What else is there!? Kudos, guys.
Not to mention you're posting on a messageboard right after the author's post. :D

It don't get no better'n this!

manga4life

Post by manga4life »

The fact that the author is posting on this forum shows that he cares about his fans and fans of the product, very few actually give a damn enough to reach out to their readers. Over at the Dynamite forums I've seen a few creators post, same over on CBR, but it's rare and I respect Mr. Jordan for coming on here and giving his $.02 towards the discussion.

I just re-read issue #1 last night before bed and it was every bit as good as it was the first time, I seriously think this book has the potential to become my #1 Valiant title and maybe my favorite title in all of comics, we'll have to wait and see how the rest of the arc goes though. So far this book is off and running with a bang and I'm excited to engulf myself with more of this character.
NEW BLOG IS UP!

Twitter.com/manga4life

http://manga4life-blog.blogspot.com - 4/13/13 "CLASSIC GAMING: Discovering new gems is always the funnest part."

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

I just read this first issue and VERY much enjoyed it. This may be the strongest VEI relaunch to date. Well conceived story structure and Zircher's strong, crisp art adds to the enjoyment.

One question, 'Son of Marius, Son of Julien' ok, who's the Anne Rice fan? :thumb: Mr. Zircher or Mr. Jordan?
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Thanks for chiming in Mr. Jordan. I really appreciate you guys utilizing the other encarnations of Shadowman. This legacy idea is what really draws me to the book along with incorporating the deadside, which visually just kicks major *SQUEE* so far. A few of the covers had me really concerned I wasnt going to enjoy it but once I got to the interiors I knew it had major potential. Really enjoyed this first issue, just wish it was a little longer! Seemed like such a quick read. Look forward for what's to come, seems promising. Thanks again for chiming in, we appreciate it :thumb:
Last edited by MoonChild on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:54:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

Who does this Justin Jordan guy think he is anyway? And he's only got 10 posts - NOOB!

:looks at Shadowman cover:

Ohhhhh. Sorry, carry on.

:kidaround:

Seriously, thanks for posting on here. Very cool to get to chat with you guys on here and Twitter. Very different from the 90s. Very awesome. I love Shadowman #1 and I'm sure after a couple issues, I'll be putting it at the top of my list of favorite comics. I'm pretty sure most here would still be honest knowing you're reading the forum. We don't pull punches much. Just check some of the posts about politics, religion, etc.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

Blood of Heroes

Post by Blood of Heroes »

JustinJordan wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:
MarkRoseHFX wrote:
Shut your mouth!
I'm just talkin' bout Shaft.
I can dig it.

cavemold
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by cavemold »

Liked the first issue at a lot set up in this issue.
The art was very good. Patch really did well here. Going pick up issue 2 today :banana: