Marvel's New Universe discussion

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Re: Marvel's New Universe discussion

Post by StarBrand »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Another interesting offshoot of the NewU is a 6 book series of novels called Psi-Man by Peter David. Written in the early 90's, the timeline was set in the far off future of 2021. Anyway, the series itself is pretty good but I got an unexpected treat when I got to book 6 and the main character was looking for a place called Haven, a refuge for psionics from persecution. And who was leading this group but an older gentleman wearing purple and calling himself the Magistrate! Come to find out that he has a psionic sword in one hand shields in the other... :hm:

I loved the NewU and even liked the reboot in NewUniversal. I wish we could see a Valiant style reboot of that universe as well.

PS: If you go looking for the Psi-Man book series, you'll also find it listed with the author as David Peters in the older printings. He used a pen name originally.
Thanks very much for posting this!
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Phoenix8008 »

BruceReville wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:Another interesting offshoot of the NewU is a 6 book series of novels called Psi-Man by Peter David. Written in the early 90's, the timeline was set in the far off future of 2021. Anyway, the series itself is pretty good but I got an unexpected treat when I got to book 6 and the main character was looking for a place called Haven, a refuge for psionics from persecution. And who was leading this group but an older gentleman wearing purple and calling himself the Magistrate! Come to find out that he has a psionic sword in one hand shields in the other... :hm:

I loved the NewU and even liked the reboot in NewUniversal. I wish we could see a Valiant style reboot of that universe as well.

PS: If you go looking for the Psi-Man book series, you'll also find it listed with the author as David Peters in the older printings. He used a pen name originally.
Please help me out, as I haven't read much yet. What is the connection?
None really other than a character that is similar to Justice in book 6
I'd say that he was fully intended to be none other than Justice, with little to no ambiguity in the matter. I don't remember the last few issues of Justice perfectly, but some of the other characters that were hiding out in Haven with the Magistrate in the book series seem like they were the same as the comics.
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

Phoenix8008 wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:

I'd say that he was fully intended to be none other than Justice, with little to no ambiguity in the matter. I don't remember the last few issues of Justice perfectly, but some of the other characters that were hiding out in Haven with the Magistrate in the book series seem like they were the same as the comics.
Intended yes - is he no - Marvel owns those rights so he could not have used him in his book
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

BruceReville wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:

Intended yes - is he no - Marvel owns those rights so he could not have used him in his book
Bullcrap! It's him, and you know it Bruce! The New Universe lives!!!

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:

Accept No Imitations
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
kevinbastos wrote: Please help me out, as I haven't read much yet. What is the connection?
Accept No Imitations
:hm: :lol:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

BruceReville wrote:I loved the New Universe and am currently rereading the whole series up to the War Mini-series. The original concept was that 1 month passes in time with each issue. (That was thrown out the window quick - Just check D.P. 7 1,2 & Psi-Force 1,2 - Big Forest and Stinky Body if there is a month inbetween)
Great post on the NewU, Bruce!! I remember that attempt to make a month pass between issues [a pre-cursor to the VH1 dating system for their timeline] as part of the concept behind the 'universe outside your window' approach.
BruceReville wrote:Here is my breakdowns of each title:

Merc - Never does it tie-n with the rest of the New Universe and half of its issues take place BEFORE the White Event - still a cool read though
I like Merc now, I didn't read it at the time though. I still don't have all of them but I keep an eye out for the ones I'm missing in bargain bins.
BruceReville wrote:D.P.7 - Best of the NU Period
Agreed. Consistent creative team on the entire run is a huge plus. Feels like it petered out towards the end a bit though.

I really like it up to the few issues after The Pitt. I have particularly vivid memories of reading #18, where they head into Pittsburgh to find Jeff. The imagery still feels more movie-like in my mind than just plain sequential art. This was the first time I ever read a superhero story about people with powers that weren't always convenient or easy to use, and that resonated with me as a kid. I loved that it explored the difficult side effects for characters like Lenore & Scuzz, and that not every character even liked having special abilities, like Dave. Great stuff.
BruceReville wrote:Nightmask - Cool concept and one of the titles that should not have been cancelled when the NU contracted.
Yeah, this idea had lots of potential that maybe was untapped. I don't find it to be as great of a re-read experience now.

#1 was one of the first 6 comics I ever bought on my own when I began collecting!! I also still really like looking through the covers.
BruceReville wrote:Star Brand - flagship title that lost it sails after the Pitt - just got really weird afterwards and how can one be the father of himself and also be the man from the past to give himself the power of the Star brand?
I love the early issues of Starbrand up to the Pitt, almost as much as I love DP7. Just goes to show that maybe Shooter is a pretty good writer, no matter what you think of him. Its also a shame that John Byrne made such a mess of it, though I still enjoy those issues too. In fact I am still on the hunt for the last couple.
BruceReville wrote:Justice - Strong consistent read, but I had just wished they had kept his original origin rather than change it midstream
I didn't get into Justice originally, I had one or two early issues and didn't like the costume, with what I always thought of as a 'rainbow lightning bolt' on it :D

But I've since gone back and tracked down more issues, and I enjoy it now. I actually think the shift in his origin was particularly clever [I'm still looking for a #15], I'm a fan of Peter David's writing. It was probably a source of inspiration for the New Universal version of Justice, which I also really liked. I don't have the full set of 32, but I intend to complete it eventually through casual bargain bin perusals.
BruceReville wrote:Spitfire - One of my favorites - after it was cancelled they f**ked the character over big time.
Also one of my favourites, just behind DP7 & just ahead of Starbrand.

I remember being very shocked reading #4, when Steel Hawk killed Krotz with a steel baseball bat. That was one of my favourite issues, and I still love Macfarlane's art in it. The overall shift in the concept was great, from a scientists daughter/MIT prof. to a secret agent, and all the changes to the MAX suit design... I particularly like #13, I wish Sandy Plunkett could have done more.

I was initially pleased that the character lived on in DP7, but I agree with Bruce - that whole chrome body super power thing was just an awful developement.

I actually wrote & drew about 30 issues of a comic series about robots as a teen that had a main character that was heavily inspired by Spitfire... in fact I basically drew the initial MAX suit design as my main character, with all the other robots looking like variations of that design. [hey, I didn't say it was any good or anything, but I sure loved drawing it!]
BruceReville wrote:PSI-Force - X-Men of the New Universe and another consistently good read.
This one I completely skipped out on, and still have yet to read. I know it was a popular title, I can't explain why I never tried it. I suppose someday I will hunt some down.
BruceReville wrote:Kickers INC - quirky, yet fun.
I couldn't stand this one. Had one issue, gave it to my cousin.
BruceReville wrote:The Pitt - decent one shot that marked a turning point in the NU
Loved it. 'The Black Event' was a really cool idea, and I like that it had a big impact on the whole line of NU comics. THAT's how you handle big universal-wide stories. [That, and UNITY of course :wink: ]
BruceReville wrote:The Draft - Loved it better than the Pitt one shot - especially with the tie-in D.P.7 & Psi-Force issues
Didn't like it as much as The Pitt, personally, but still a solid idea. I also liked the DP7 tie-in to it, and seeing Nightmask again.
BruceReville wrote:The War - Good concept and if the NU would have ended on this note it would have been perfect, but alas Marvel you f**ked that up as well.
I missed out on this one, and am very interested in tracking it down to read.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

StarBrand wrote:Here's a good New Universe site.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/comics/newu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just took a quick perusal through this site. Nice!

I had a huge flood of memories hit me when I looked at the memorabilia page - I had a ton of those plastic bags with the Seinkiewicz drawing in black & red, my lcs back then carried them. Wow, I had completely forgotten about those! Wish I still had one around...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rasputin9977
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by rasputin9977 »

About the issues taking place in real time. It was explained in a DP 7 letters page that the issues one issue didn't equal one month our time but 12 issues did equal one year our time.

Also where does it state that Merc takes place before the white event?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

rasputin9977 wrote:About the issues taking place in real time. It was explained in a DP 7 letters page that the issues one issue didn't equal one month our time but 12 issues did equal one year our time.

Not sure the answer to the Merc question.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

The New Universe is returning!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/29/ ... arvel-now/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

StarBrand wrote:
rasputin9977 wrote:About the issues taking place in real time. It was explained in a DP 7 letters page that the issues one issue didn't equal one month our time but 12 issues did equal one year our time.

Got the answer - In The Official Timeline of the New Universe, it states the following;

"July 22nd, 1986 - Mercenary Mark Hazzard is in an unidentified country in the South Pacific overthrowing a military dictatorship. He mistakes the White Event for unconventional artillery fire."

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

StarBrand wrote:The New Universe is returning!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/29/ ... arvel-now/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So cool! I'm excited! And mad!

[I wanted to completely quit reading Marvel but this will suck me back in for as long as it lasts!]

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

So, I've been re-reading Justice, since I recently plugged most of the gaps I had [just missing #25 & #28 now].

I have to say, I've read most issues up to #18 before now, and I am firmly in the camp that liked the change in the character's origin that happens with #15 [even though I had never read that particular issue before this past week]. The early issues are largely pretty lame, though I still like them [more so with the knowledge of his true origin in #15].

I've now read up to #24 [#15 & 19-24 are for the first time], and I am pleasantly surprised with the continued quality of stories in the Peter David/Lee Weeks run. I've always been a fan of Peter David since his Hulk days, and this series is full of his typical good wit, humour, characterization and social commentary - with a side of great villains & story. I think that aside from a little bit of cheese & being dated firmly in the late 80's, this stuff is still well worth a read. I don't mind the 80's flavour, since I was a teen through half of it :D

My big dilemma is whether to wait on reading the last issues until I can track down #25 & #28 or not. I usually wait on reading these little 'side-quest' comic runs until I have them all...

On a broader scale of commentary on the New U, I really liked the era of stories that occurred around 'The Pitt', aka 'The Black Event'. I think these were some of the best stories told in the NU overall after Shooter left, and still stand as a good example of how to do an 'event' book with 'lasting' repercussions right and also successfully tie in all the related titles to it without overdoing the whole thing. Not quite as good as Unity, but pretty close, IMO.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

grendeljd wrote:
StarBrand wrote:

Got the answer - In The Official Timeline of the New Universe, it states the following;

"July 22nd, 1986 - Mercenary Mark Hazzard is in an unidentified country in the South Pacific overthrowing a military dictatorship. He mistakes the White Event for unconventional artillery fire."
Wow! Cool!

rasputin9977

Post by rasputin9977 »

grendeljd wrote:
StarBrand wrote:

Thanks. I guess I misunderstood the original statement because I thought he meant that the entire Hazard series took place before the white event.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

rasputin9977 wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
StarBrand wrote:

Thanks. I guess I misunderstood the original statement because I thought he meant that the entire Hazard series took place before the white event.
No problem, dude! I was re-reading my Justice comics last week, and stumbled on that factoid by fluke in the back of #24 on the universe news/timeline page.

Still interesting to note about Merc - I don't think it ever crossed over with any other NU title during its run... very isolated from the rest of the line.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

From everything I have read - not just books- MERC had no contact with any other new u character.

But I also didn't check the later stuff, either. In the 2000s.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

kevinbastos wrote:From everything I have read - not just books- MERC had no contact with any other new u character.

I read those one-shots, from 2006, I believe it was, and don't recall Merc interacting with other characters from the universe.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

StarBrand wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:From everything I have read - not just books- MERC had no contact with any other new u character.

I read those one-shots, from 2006, I believe it was, and don't recall Merc interacting with other characters from the universe.
yeah, I think I have most of those newer one-shots [at least five of them, if you include the Spitfire back-up in the Amazing Fantasy issue]... don't have a Merc one though, did they do one? I think it's actually cool that the character didn't interact with the rest of the New U despite being in it. Great idea!

Did they do a Kickers one? :lol: :lol: :lol:

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

grendeljd wrote:
Yup.

The New Avengers #16 "Untold Tales of the New Universe starring: Kickers, Inc. - Kickin' It in Hell"

according to wikipedia...

Here's a site dedicated...

http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/comics/ ... kers.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition, I'm right.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

kevinbastos wrote:
grendeljd wrote:
Yup.

The New Avengers #16 "Untold Tales of the New Universe starring: Kickers, Inc. - Kickin' It in Hell"

according to wikipedia...

Here's a site dedicated...

http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/comics/ ... kers.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cool, thanks for the link - I should have looked there myself in the first place! That Kickers 8-pager sounds just as bad as the original stuff... facepalm

I might have to track down the Merc & PSI-Force issues though!

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Joining the NewU love-in here!

Liked only half of the NewU from the get go. Never looked at an issue of Merc that I recall. I thought Kickers was an idiotic idea, Spitfire just looked silly and clunky to me, and Nightmask just seemed weird and never interested me. Loved DP7, Starbrand, Psi-Force, and Justice from the start. Seems I picked okay since those were the 4 titles that didn't get cancelled at the 1 year mark.

Starbrand was a great idea and a good springboard for some of the same idea's that got used later for Solar. DP7 and Psi-Force were great team books. Loved how the 5 Psi-Force kids could combine to make the Psi-Hawk. Neat idea for a gesalt character. DP7 was all about the right way to do a team book based on the characters and story, with the action coming second. They really acted like real people with problems who also happened to have super powers (and super power related problems!). Justice was neat at the start. But I can see why they changed the origin in order to make it fit better with the 'word outside your window' concept. How that one got off the ground at issue#1 when that was supposed to be the overriding concept of the universe, I'm not sure.

Loved the Pitt and War stories. Finally, a universe willing to actually make long lasting changes to it's world. (Unlike Marvel where New York can be demolished every month by various aliens and super villains but it is always still there and hardly ever under construction to rebuild. I think the city is a living thing with Hulk level regeneration! :rant: )

I also loved the NewUniversal stories and really wish that they had at least finished the series at the end of the arc instead of in the middle due to technical issues. I loved the way they tied all the concepts together through the Superflow that explained Nightmasks powers, telepathy, etc. Loved that the main characters were all essentially sigil bearers with a specific job to do. Really wanted to see how the characters were going to deal with Justice. Maybe Ken Connell's first chance to use his powers to heal instead of for destruction. Also really wanted to see the Psi-Force kids after the brief intro of Emmet Proudhawk. Don't know if we ever got to see any of the DP7 folks either, more the shame. I'm assuming that the football guy would have survived the building explosion. Also loved the new Nightmask and Spitfire!

Aaaaarrrgggghhhh! Gimme more New Universe done right! Shooter/Valiant style. That'll be the only thing to get me to buy more Marvel comics at this point.
Viva la Valiant!

Phoenix8008

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Well, looks like it's official. Cover of Avengers # 9 shows Hulk, Thor, and someone else attacking what appears to be Ken Connell/Starbrand! So they are weaving NewU into the current Marvel 616 it seems.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=72909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viva la Valiant!

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

Keep me in on this. Need to keep collecting...
And a Website!

In addition, I'm right.