Key Annual Issues

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

IMJ
I have a Quasar collection. And I love it. So there.
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O Manowar #1
Favorite character: VH1 Sting | VH2 Rai
Favorite title: VH2 Rai
Favorite writer: Kurt Busiek
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Key Annual Issues

Post by IMJ »

Our discussion in carter3175's thread got me thinking about key Annual Issues as a facet to a greater collection (sort of like what I'm doing with the Bring on the Bad Guys sub-grouping that I've been together for some time now). I'm curious as to what everyone's opinions are about what belongs on a list of key Annual issues from any publisher. Feel free to add anything you feel is relevant, but I'd like to keep the list accurate to the hobby as a whole. For example, someone might add Avengers Annual 2001 because that's where Busiek cleans up much of the mess from "The Crossing", but the truth is that book doesn't really belong on an industry wide list that most people care about. Even I would like to add Iron Man Director of SHIELD Annual #1 because that was one of the best books I had read in years as I recall, but even that doesn't really belong on the list.

I'd say that books like this might be on this list:

Superman Annual #10 | 1985
Sought after book with a classic Superman story written by Alan Moore. The story takes place in the fortress of Solitude on Superman's birthday. A visit by Batman, Robin and Wonder Woman is interrupted as a horror tale unfolds as they arrive in the arctic at Superman's home only to enter a quiet, desolate fortress finding Superman immobilized by an alien parasitic plant. Cosmic monster, Mongul appears from the shadows as the mastermind and takes everyone out in an awesome battle while Superman struggles in his mind to break free. The panels following Superman's release are awesome, and show him in rare form, incredibly PO'd about the situation he awakens too. This is seriously an awesome comic book.

Avengers Annual #10 | 1981
First appearance of Rogue. This isn't a tremendously pricey book, but it is an annual with a rare first appearance that mattered. Unarguably, Rogue is a key X-Men character and crosses the line into mainstream character use with her ties to Gambit and Ms. Marvel as well. I'd say this belongs on a list of key annuals.

Captain America Annual #8 | 1986
This is debatable, but I'd guess that most comic collectors know the image that is this classic Mike Zeck cover. This story is definitely fan service as Wolverine's adamantium claws are pitted against Captain America's indestructible shield.

Daredevil | Deadpool Annual 1997
This one is less about the story and more about the scarcity. Deadpool is arguably Marvel's most popular cult-classic character, and generally speaking the print runs on Deadpool books aren't ever very large, but usually sought after. This annual falls into that category and is a great find on a supply and demand basis, as far as I can tell.

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 | 1964
I'd say this one is definitely the real deal for a myriad of reasons. First, it's a Silver Age #1 issue from Marvel's flagship character, most collectors who can't afford ASM #1, would hunt this down as an early Silver Age substitute. Secondly, it's a product of the heyday of classic Marvel creators Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, and lastly it's the first appearance of the Sinister Six - one of Marvel's first supervillain teams comprised of Spider-man's most recognizable villains.

Dark Horse Presents Annual 1998
I'd imagine that this particular list wouldn't have very many annuals from Indy publishers. Indy books are rarely comic book keys, let alone a once-a-year indy publication. With that said though, this is the first appearance of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Not the strongest entry on the list, but still this character is a regular draw for Dark Horse readers and another cult classic through years of the T.V. show and also her regularly published books and comic series.

This is a tough list to generate because annuals are often 2nd thought publications, so to have a truly sought after annual is a bit of an achievement, I'd say. What else can we add to this list and have it stay relevant without straying into speculation books?

carter3175
Re: Key Annual Issues

Post by carter3175 »

I have been trying to think of something that I could contribute to this post. Only thing I can think of is Giant Size X-Men 1. Giant Size X-Men 2 was reprints and then official annual numbers started at #3.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

carter3175 wrote:I have been trying to think of something that I could contribute to this post. Only thing I can think of is Giant Size X-Men 1. Giant Size X-Men 2 was reprints and then official annual numbers started at #3.
Giant Sized X-Men #1.... Nice. I'm facepalm that I didn't think of that one!

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

New Mutants Annual 2 is the first US Psylocke... :?
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Definitely a rare event when an annual is significant to the hobby.

kevinbastos
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

IMJ wrote:Definitely a rare event when an annual is significant to the hobby.

It always ticked me off to pay more for a story that stunk, half filled with reprints, fill in artists, and silly.

I always thought that the company should pitch in that for free.

How about X-Men annual 10 when Lomgshot joins the X-Men? First X-Babies, too?

After Avengers Annual 10, not much of interest.

Wait. What about Giant size Avengers 2 with the death of Swordsman?

Not SO important, but that guy keeps coming back.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

The Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Annual 2012 and The Transformers: Robots In Disguise Annual 2012 these the first two American Transformers series to have annuals great stories great flashback art and OK present day art.

The three early The Fantastic Four Annuals that features the the wedding of Reed and Sue, Sue announcing that she's pregnant, and the birth of Franklin Richards. I can't remember the numbers and you think I should because I own the last one I mentioned. :!:

The Amazing Spider-Man Annual (#21 again I can't remember the number) that featues the wedding of Peter and Mary Jane.

ALF Annual #1- ALF fights in the High Evolutionary War...well kind of.

The Avengers and Marvel Two-In-One annuals (again the numbers escape me) that saw the first death of Thanos and Adam Warlock and company by Jim Starlin. Joss Whedon cited them on the commentary to Marvel's The Avengers as an influence on the film and showed him what comics could do.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

davidb
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by davidb »

New Teen Titans annual 3 from 1984. Conclusion of the Judas Contract/Terra story, and one that garnered death threats for Wolfman and Perez after Terra died.
This post has been approved by the Harbinger Foundation.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

kevinbastos wrote:How about X-Men annual 10 when Lomgshot joins the X-Men? First X-Babies, too?

After Avengers Annual 10, not much of interest.

Wait. What about Giant size Avengers 2 with the death of Swordsman?

Not SO important, but that guy keeps coming back.
These are good picks for events in Annuals, but at large I don't think anyone cares enough to support those books as back issue gems.
Cyberstrike wrote:The Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Annual 2012 and The Transformers: Robots In Disguise Annual 2012 these the first two American Transformers series to have annuals great stories great flashback art and OK present day art.

The three early The Fantastic Four Annuals that features the the wedding of Reed and Sue, Sue announcing that she's pregnant, and the birth of Franklin Richards. I can't remember the numbers and you think I should because I own the last one I mentioned. :!:

The Amazing Spider-Man Annual (#21 again I can't remember the number) that featues the wedding of Peter and Mary Jane.

ALF Annual #1- ALF fights in the High Evolutionary War...well kind of.

The Avengers and Marvel Two-In-One annuals (again the numbers escape me) that saw the first death of Thanos and Adam Warlock and company by Jim Starlin. Joss Whedon cited them on the commentary to Marvel's The Avengers as an influence on the film and showed him what comics could do.
I thought about the wedding issues in the beginning of the thread, but I'm not sure if those command any attention on the market as keys? Maybe if we see Spider-Man getting married on screen or something in the future, but Marvel made it clear years ago that in order to be successful they feel the need to de-evolve for a new continuity.

The Marvel Two-In-One Annual you mentioned is interesting though.... hmmmm..... Starlins Thanos Saga really was epic as can be - it went across SO many books and was developed over SO many years. It's basically one of comics greatest undertakings.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

IMJ wrote:I thought about the wedding issues in the beginning of the thread, but I'm not sure if those command any attention on the market as keys? Maybe if we see Spider-Man getting married on screen or something in the future, but Marvel made it clear years ago that in order to be successful they feel the need to de-evolve for a new continuity.
Well Reed and Sue are still married and have 2 kids and I have the annual where Franklin Richards was born and I consider those annuals key books. I found a TPB that collected a lot of the weddings in the Marvel Universe (I think came out when Black Panther and Storm got married) and it did reprint both The Fanastic Four and The Amazing Spider-Man wedding annuals.
The Marvel Two-In-One Annual you mentioned is interesting though.... hmmmm..... Starlins Thanos Saga really was epic as can be - it went across SO many books and was developed over SO many years. It's basically one of comics greatest undertakings.
I think Whedon referred to them as 2 of the most under-rated comics of that era.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Doorman
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by Doorman »

1st Xorn was in the New X-Men Annual

sanman
I can feel the custom bug
I can feel the custom bug

Post by sanman »

What about Superman - Batman Annual #4, the introduction of Batman (and Superman) Beyond into the regular run of titles?

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

sanman wrote:What about Superman - Batman Annual #4, the introduction of Batman (and Superman) Beyond into the regular run of titles?
After our cool discussion about underappreciated first appearances I was going to start a thread on best "one and done" issues, but many of the books in this thread would've appeared there as well. Good call on the 1st Batman Beyond too. I hadn't thought of that one back when this was a newer thread. Wanna amend the thread from Annuals only to best one and done's as well?

I'd say that Action Comics #775 should be there maybe?

greatbrandino11
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by greatbrandino11 »

X-Men Annual 14 is considered the 1st (cameo) appearance of Gambit. While not as highly sought after as X-Men 266, it's still an important issue.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Great first list and great topic.
Of the ones not on the first post id for sure add:

New mutants annual 2
Superman batman annual 4
X men 14

Possible candidates:
ASM annual #16 1st Monica Rambeau
Deadpool and death annual 1998 (based on deadpool & daredevil annual included above. In my experience this book is harder to find and more valuable )

And..... I'll drop a nugget here .....

House of mystery annual 1. 1st appearance of iZombie. ( if the TV show does well watch out! This book could really take off. )

greatbrandino11
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek (Sting)
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by greatbrandino11 »

Elveen wrote:Great first list and great topic.

New mutants annual 2
Superman batman annual 4
X men 14

Possible candidates:
Deadpool and death annual 1998 (based on deadpool & daredevil annual included above. In my experience this book is harder to find and more valuable )

House of mystery annual 1. 1st appearance of iZombie. ( if the TV show does well watch out! This book could really take off. )
High grade copies of HoM Annual 1 do not last long on eBay.
"When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth."

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

greatbrandino11 wrote:
Elveen wrote:Great first list and great topic.

New mutants annual 2
Superman batman annual 4
X men 14

Possible candidates:

High grade copies of HoM Annual 1 do not last long on eBay.
Wait to the show comes on.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Nice additions!

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

Marc Hazzard: Merc Annual #1-The Death of Marc Hazzard. This was actually a major part of the series and takes place in between the last two issues of the series #11 and #12. IIRC the series was kind of retitled for #12 and was just called Merc instead of Marc Hazzard: Merc. It's also probably the rarest of the original New Universe annuals (Starbrand, DP7, andThe PSI-Force).

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

New52 Batman Annual #1 features the first New52 Mr. Freeze. Not only was it a really good read and origin story, but it commands $25+. I think that's the hottest of all the new DC annuals.

IMJ

Post by IMJ »

Cyberstrike wrote:Marc Hazzard: Merc Annual #1-The Death of Marc Hazzard. This was actually a major part of the series and takes place in between the last two issues of the series #11 and #12. IIRC the series was kind of retitled for #12 and was just called Merc instead of Marc Hazzard: Merc. It's also probably the rarest of the original New Universe annuals (Starbrand, DP7, andThe PSI-Force).
Hm... this is a pretty deep cut. I'm not sure how much the market at large would care, but still this is a neat, rather informed pick. :thumb:

Elveen

Post by Elveen »

nycjadie wrote:New52 Batman Annual #1 features the first New52 Mr. Freeze. Not only was it a really good read and origin story, but it commands $25+. I think that's the hottest of all the new DC annuals.
Yes. That is a pricey back issue. I have not had one in a while.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Cyberstrike wrote:The Avengers and Marvel Two-In-One annuals (again the numbers escape me) that saw the first death of Thanos and Adam Warlock and company by Jim Starlin. Joss Whedon cited them on the commentary to Marvel's The Avengers as an influence on the film and showed him what comics could do.
Avengers Annual 7 and Marvel Two-In-One Annual 2.

These are the very first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Elveen wrote:
nycjadie wrote:New52 Batman Annual #1 features the first New52 Mr. Freeze. Not only was it a really good read and origin story, but it commands $25+. I think that's the hottest of all the new DC annuals.
Yes. That is a pricey back issue. I have not had one in a while.
Probably the one I traded you was your last one. :) I did not realize it was selling for that much and will have to look for this book when I am out. I agree with nycjadie, it was an excellent read. :thumb:

Mkb28

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!

Post by Cyberstrike »

IMJ wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:Marc Hazzard: Merc Annual #1-The Death of Marc Hazzard. This was actually a major part of the series and takes place in between the last two issues of the series #11 and #12. IIRC the series was kind of retitled for #12 and was just called Merc instead of Marc Hazzard: Merc. It's also probably the rarest of the original New Universe annuals (Starbrand, DP7, andThe PSI-Force).
Hm... this is a pretty deep cut. I'm not sure how much the market at large would care, but still this is a neat, rather informed pick. :thumb:
I like annuals that weren't just throw away stories but the ones that impacted the series that they were part of, and granted that are there are some annuals that were just funny, weird, off-beat stories to let creators go nuts and have fun but for the life of me I can't remember many of them.

Batwoman Annual #1-You have to give writer Marc Andreyko credit here: he had to finish a storyline that he was never involved in major creative way and resolve a bunch of plots that were probably meant for another 6-24 issues by another creative team and he had to do it in one annual and for the most part I think he did it. It did feel rushed towards the end and the whole thing with Mr. Bones' parentage was confusing (in one issue Kate's father said he thought he had a son and in this story he denies it) and the whole thing with Kate's twin sister being taken to her grandfather's private island where her and her father will "cure" of her being insane felt kind of dumb way to get rid of them for a while. It feels slightly longer, in page count, than some of the other DC New 52 annuals, I don't know if it is or not but it does feels like 40 page book as opposed to the 34-38 page books that DC (and every other publisher) puts out as an annual these days. But then again that could just be me.

Thanos Annual #1-Thanos is so powerful that he doesn't need a series to get an annual! It's more or less a retrospective look at Thanos' past adventures by Jim Starlin and Ron Lim and is more or less a primer for Thanos: Infinity Revelation graphic novel. It's an odd take on It's A Wonderful Life where Thanos from the future talks to his past self after his first defeat and gives him a preview of things to come. There are a few great one-liners in there, but Lim's art looks dodgy at best like he's dialing it in, and you get a feeling that Starlin doesn't know much and/or care Thanos' adventures since he left Marvel. It's a fun and silly look back on Thanos' past and gives you a preview of his future and maybe the future of the Marvel 616 Universe. Warlock's new costume at the end is kind of cool looking.