What would you ask Stan Lee?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Johnseye
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: I think it was 1991
Favorite title: Rai
What would you ask Stan Lee?

Post by Johnseye »

This is the first time Stan Lee will be at a Chicago con that I attend. I got pretty excited about this event so I took part in the recent Heritage and Pedigree auctions to pick up some key books for him to sign. X-Men 1 graded at 6.0, AMG 9 graded at 9.0, FF 125 (the last one written by Stan) graded at 9.6 and an AMG 50 in Fine condition I found on Ebay. Going to crack the slabs tomorrow and prep em in bags/boards for him to sign.

So I started looking into what it takes to get a CGC SS book signed by Stan and you have to go through Desert Wind Comics, paying a hefty price. $50 per sig plus I have to submit the books through them and they charge another high fee, especially since a couple of my books are expensive and need to be insured. I got talking to Chandler at Desert Wind and he mentioned that he might be having a meet and greet with Stan. I had previously looked over the Wizard World VIP pass at the con and read some reviews on it. $500 for a quick 10 minute chat with a lot of other people, photo and done. Reviews were not positive. Chandler said his meet with Stan would be 45 minutes with no more than 10 other people around a table at a hotel. Price was $300 and included 2 signature tickets so essentially $200. I couldn't pass it up.

So, I've been thinking to myself 45 minutes talking to Stan Lee with a few other people, what are we going to talk about? I've got a few questions for him but was wondering, if there is something you would like to ask him what would it be?

OmenSpirits.com
Re: What would you ask Stan Lee?

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

How it felt to ride a career off another man's back?

....HEY you ASKED. :hm:

Johnseye

Post by Johnseye »

OmenSpirits.com wrote:How it felt to ride a career off another man's back?

Ditko's?

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Exactly :thumb:

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Johnseye wrote:

Ditko's?
And Jack Kirby
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Cyberstrike wrote:
Johnseye wrote:

Ditko's?
And Jack Kirby
Excelsior! Hey, kids, Uncle Stan here. Did you know that I made myself a fortune off of you guys in the 60's thinking I was a counterculture revolutionary when I was really a greedy capitalist pig? Who knew!

Johnseye

Post by Johnseye »

Well for what it's worth he was a real nice guy. He's just a regular person like you or I. No attitude or pretentiousness about him. It ended up being only me sitting across a table from him in a hotel room talking for about an hour. He reminded me of my grandfather. Hell, the guy's 89 years old. I don't even think I'll be alive at 89 and he's out and about. Got 6 books signed and it ended up costing me nothing for the meet and greet. Desert Wind was very cool and allowed me 4 additional books to be signed for nothing. Would I do it again? In a heart beat. Would I stand in line for 2 1/2 hours or longer like some people at the con. Never.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Johnseye wrote:Well for what it's worth he was a real nice guy. He's just a regular person like you or I. No attitude or pretentiousness about him. It ended up being only me sitting across a table from him in a hotel room talking for about an hour. He reminded me of my grandfather. Hell, the guy's 89 years old. I don't even think I'll be alive at 89 and he's out and about. Got 6 books signed and it ended up costing me nothing for the meet and greet. Desert Wind was very cool and allowed me 4 additional books to be signed for nothing. Would I do it again? In a heart beat. Would I stand in line for 2 1/2 hours or longer like some people at the con. Never.

WOW. That sounds VERY cool. Who else can say they got to talk with The Man for an hour.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Elveen wrote:
Johnseye wrote:Well for what it's worth he was a real nice guy. He's just a regular person like you or I. No attitude or pretentiousness about him. It ended up being only me sitting across a table from him in a hotel room talking for about an hour. He reminded me of my grandfather. Hell, the guy's 89 years old. I don't even think I'll be alive at 89 and he's out and about. Got 6 books signed and it ended up costing me nothing for the meet and greet. Desert Wind was very cool and allowed me 4 additional books to be signed for nothing. Would I do it again? In a heart beat. Would I stand in line for 2 1/2 hours or longer like some people at the con. Never.

WOW. That sounds VERY cool. Who else can say they got to talk with The Man for an hour.
+1. Congrats on a great experience.

/Magnus

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Even John McEnroe has mellowed in his dotage.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

xodacia81 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Johnseye wrote:

Ditko's?
And Jack Kirby
Excelsior! Hey, kids, Uncle Stan here. Did you know that I made myself a fortune off of you guys in the 60's thinking I was a counterculture revolutionary when I was really a greedy capitalist pig? Who knew!
I think that I can understand his reasoning on why he think he's the sole creator of all those characters. I think he's coming from the mindset of a pulp novelist, I mean the cover artists who drew the covers for the various The Shadow, The Spider, Tarzan, John Carter, and Conan novels are not considered the co-creators of those characters and if he had written the characters as novels then he would be sole creator.

But he didn't he write them as novels, he wrote them as comic books. Which took artists like Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Gene Colan, John Romita Sr., and many more to help get his ideas out there. I will always state that he is the co-creator of most of the Marvel Universe, but he's not and never have been the sole creator.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Cyberstrike wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Johnseye wrote:

Ditko's?
And Jack Kirby
I think that I can understand his reasoning on why he think he's the sole creator of all those characters. I think he's coming from the mindset of a pulp novelist, I mean the cover artists who drew the covers for the various The Shadow, The Spider, Tarzan, John Carter, and Conan novels are not considered the co-creators of those characters and if he had written the characters as novels then he would be sole creator.

But he didn't he write them as novels, he wrote them as comic books. Which took artists like Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Gene Colan, John Romita Sr., and many more to help get his ideas out there. I will always state that he is the co-creator of most of the Marvel Universe, but he's not and never have been the sole creator.
Indeed. One of many reasons why I don't much care for "Uncle Stan" and why I have just as much vitriol towards the people at DC that screwed over S&S.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I've seen him do several interviews where he always gives credit to the artists ... I don't think I've ever seen one where he tries to claim it was all him. I think he deserves an enormous amount of credit for what he has done with his life, though.

As for a question, probably too late, but I'd ask him "what's the best blow job you ever got?"

Johnseye

Post by Johnseye »

depluto wrote:I've seen him do several interviews where he always gives credit to the artists ... I don't think I've ever seen one where he tries to claim it was all him. I think he deserves an enormous amount of credit for what he has done with his life, though.

As for a question, probably too late, but I'd ask him "what's the best blow job you ever got?"

Funny thing that did come up in conversation, he was talking about how some girls at the con were sticking their *SQUEE* in his ear and as turned on as he was he kinda wished they got them out of his face. He also was joking about meeting Angelina Jolie and having to tell her he couldn't get involved. That comment was tongue in cheek though as we were discussing Brad Pitt being a fan.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

:clap:

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

xodacia81 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Johnseye wrote:

Ditko's?
And Jack Kirby
"You know me - I'll take any credit that's not nailed down!" -- Stan Lee

I don't have a problem with the guy. He is so mainstream that they even talk about him on the Big Bang Theory.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Chiclo wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Cyberstrike wrote:
Johnseye wrote:

Ditko's?
And Jack Kirby
"You know me - I'll take any credit that's not nailed down!" -- Stan Lee

I don't have a problem with the guy. He is so mainstream that they even talk about him on the Big Bang Theory.
I almost like some of what I've seen on BBT, but you know, it is so mainstream that at the same time, I rebel. Chuck and Reaper-all three arriving around the same time-were, I felt, better examinations of nerd/geek-dom, and in large part because they didn't define it through "oh, look, Spiderman, Superman, D&D and Star Trek" if you know what I mean.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Reaper was cursed with Bret Harrison. Poor guy can't buy a stable vehicle for television.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

depluto wrote:I've seen him do several interviews where he always gives credit to the artists ... I don't think I've ever seen one where he tries to claim it was all him. I think he deserves an enormous amount of credit for what he has done with his life, though...
He may not claim all credit, but seeing him squirm over the credit issue was very interesting and very telling in my opinion when Joanthon Ross interviewed him on In Search of Steve Ditko.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month