OUR Questions for Valiant's Warren Simons - WARREN ANSWERS

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
Re: OUR Questions for Valiant's Warren Simons - WARREN ANSWE

Post by Daniel Jackson »

BruceReville wrote:
agent_graves wrote:My aplogies, if this has already been asked but, Warren, will Archer & Armstrong #7-12 ever be collected in Hc form?? Better yet, Valiant could just by pass that, and release a Absolute Edition with #0-12, and a whole bunch of extra goodies, like early sketches and character designs by BWS.
Be kind of hard to reprint those issues with Solar - Magnus in them as they no longer hold the publishing rights
Over the last several years, there has been a lot of discussion on the board about the GK characters and what can and can't be done with them. I don't think anyone has ever given a definite answer on the matter (at least that I'm aware of). These are just my thoughts, so don't take anything to be a solid fact. While VEI can't make new stories with the characters, I think they should be able to reprint whatever was Valiant. However, in this litigious society that we live in, it's probably not worth the hassle to test the waters.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

Considering that they said more reprints were coming this summer, and Solar is in everything, I'd guess that it's okay for them to reprint. Besides, didn't Solar show up in all/most of the HCs?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

BruceReville wrote:
agent_graves wrote:My aplogies, if this has already been asked but, Warren, will Archer & Armstrong #7-12 ever be collected in Hc form?? Better yet, Valiant could just by pass that, and release a Absolute Edition with #0-12, and a whole bunch of extra goodies, like early sketches and character designs by BWS.
Be kind of hard to reprint those issues with Solar - Magnus in them as they no longer hold the publishing rights
I have heard one opinion that said that they could reprint these appearances as long as they didn't advertise those appearances.

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

BruceReville wrote:
Oh ok, I'm new to Valiant, so I wasn't aware of those misfortunes, that kinda sucks...
#StayValiant

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Dang, I totally missed out on this thread, hopefully Warren can make time for some more Q&A soon [Make that Q&W!!] :hope:
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^

Zaphod
Zaphod's just this guy, you know?
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Zaphod »

I imagine Mr. Simons is kinda busy buuuuuuuuut....any chance of seeing Master Darque (or perhaps a less cartoony version) in the new books in 2012?
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

I don't know what types of fires and bridges may have been tossed together, but I could see everyone winning if shooter or layton or whoever were given free reign on one title that explored random titles and stories set in the vh1 universe. I could see VEI and probably most if not all of the Ex's working out on that level and perhaps stopping the flow of any bad blood that might have been spilled.

Valiant Classics Presents! Ftw. One small title that has nothing to do with the vh4 universe. Even if only us 20%ers bought it, it would be a nice little boost to VEI market share.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

After the mess Shooter made the last time around and his constant and public badmouthing of VEI, they would be an absolute fool to take him back. Just saying. I'm not sure exactly what happened with Layton though, but I hope they can work it out.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

etos45 wrote:After the mess Shooter made the last time around and his constant and public badmouthing of VEI, they would be an absolute fool to take him back. Just saying. I'm not sure exactly what happened with Layton though, but I hope they can work it out.
If I remember correctly, Layton wrote on his website that VEI had not paid him for some artwork he had done.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
etos45 wrote:After the mess Shooter made the last time around and his constant and public badmouthing of VEI, they would be an absolute fool to take him back. Just saying. I'm not sure exactly what happened with Layton though, but I hope they can work it out.
If I remember correctly, Layton wrote on his website that VEI had not paid him for some artwork he had done.
Ouch... well that's no good. Maybe a little palm greasing can fix that. :|

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Just flipped through the whole thread. Some serious info in there that I brushed by way back when...
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

kevinbastos wrote:Just flipped through the whole thread. Some serious info in there that I brushed by way back when...
Yeah, I'm still very curious to see what the deal with Rai is going to be. :thumb:

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

etos45 wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:Just flipped through the whole thread. Some serious info in there that I brushed by way back when...
Yeah, I'm still very curious to see what the deal with Rai is going to be. :thumb:
That is the most intriguing thing in there.

Also, having just read through it all myself, it is very impressive that Warren was talking about things back in October of last year that are coming to fruition now. It shows the great planning that has gone into the entire relaunch.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Zaphod
Favorite character: VH1 - Armstrong
Favorite title: VEI - Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Zaphod »

when it all boils down, it's a business and if there is $$$ to be made never say never.
What we need is innovation and even revolution—but not so much in the form of marketing ploys and doohickeys. What is needed is bold creative vision, excellent stories, and brilliant storytelling, in a word, entertainment. -- Jim Shooter

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

MoonChild wrote:Dang, I totally missed out on this thread, hopefully Warren can make time for some more Q&A soon [Make that Q&W!!] :hope:

Hello ValiantFans!!!!!!

I hope you guys and gals are all doing well! It's been a pretty amazing summer up at Valiant HQ, and I wanted to stop by and say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the extraordinary level of support you've given the books. I've had the opportunity to hang out, play poker, and chat with some super cool Valiant Fans at C2E2 and San Diego, and it's been an absolute blast talking with some of the most passionate Valiant fans in the world. It's been an an incredible few months, so thanks again, gang.

Now that A & A 1 is on the stands, I wanted to stop by the boards and answer some questions. So anything that's on your mind -- whether you're wondering about certain titles, what's coming up, or what it's like working up at Valiant -- please let me know. (I'll also twist some arms to get some new art posted.)

We've got two books leaving house this week and two next, so please be patient. But let me know if you have any questions, and thanks again!

-Warren

erwinrafael
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Favorite character: Aram
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Pere Perez

Post by erwinrafael »

Hello, Sir. Thanks for dropping by. And thanks to VEI led by your crew for not letting us down with your books. :)

I have two questions:

1) Does VEI have rights over Quantum and Woody or are there complications given the special arrangement with Priest and Doc Bright? if you do have the rights, are there plans for the characters given that there is already a "buddy" book in Archer and Armstrong?
2) Is there a regular rotation of artists for every series? Or would we see some guest interior art soon?

That's all for now. And thank you again for the wonderful work.

FormerReader
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.
I spoke with Dino and he said you can divulge all information to me.

Post by FormerReader »

Warren,

Thanks for all the great work so far! :clap: Will we see any titles set in the future? Any plans for Phil Seleski? How soon until we can expect to see a title by a new character?

kevinbastos
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Warren - humble thanks for all.

I want to ask those spoiler-y questions, but will try to stay with the business engine of things:

1. It seems from the new solicits that the 1:20 or 1:50 variants seem to be coming to a close - in some cases. What is the future long-term plan on that?

2. It seems that the shirts will be available in Baltimore. Any plans for mass marketing, and how can we get them to our own LCS?

3. Bloodshot HC - great idea. I know that Valiant is looking into the future pressings. Any idea when? Spoiling might be a problem, but do you still plan on the short new story - with perhaps involvement from old creators?

4. Quantum & Woody has been the spot of much speculation lately. Without destroying it, are the rights to the characters with VEI or limbo or somewhere between?

5. As always, how can we help?
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

Warren,

First, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions (again). It really shows how much effort VEI has made and is making to reach out to fans, old and new. It is appreciated, and should continue to contribute to VALIANT's success.

Second, I have loved all of the books so far. In most cases, my expectations have been far exceeded and I will continue to look forward to being blown away each and every month.

I have a few questions, if you can answer:

1. Based on the FCBD issue, though never confirmed by Valiant, it seemed as though Eternal Warrior was slated as the 5th ongoing title. Was that the case and the plan changed when the pitch for Shadowman was too good to pass up? Or was the plan always for Shadowman to be the 5th title and EW to make his first "full" appearance this winter? If the former, can you explain how that process occurred. If the later, you are sneaky devils.

2. Will the Geomancers be appearing soon, or at all? And if so, will any of them wear a headband?

3. When can we expect our "We Are the 20%" t-shirts?

Thanks,
Bugsy
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Hey Warren, thanks for coming back!

Is there any information you can give about Rai? After your initial comments about him and a new direction, I have been very curious to see where Valiant will be taking him. At the very least, is it possible to say if he will be part of the current time line or in a past/future timeline?

Thanks! :thumb:

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Warren, my hat is off to you and the whole crew for stepping up to bat and cranking 4 big ones out of the park ( soon to be 5 in November, from the teasers to date).

I am curious as to whether or not you will run letter columns in the books at all, or possibly publish some pin-ups from time to time? I have written two fan letters already to you guys, and Dinesh has been supremely kind in replying personally to one I wrote in to X-O.

I can also understand the need to cross promote your books right now with sneak previews at the back, but I'm an old school fan and would still love to see other peoples letters in print!!

Take care and keep up the top-notch quality work!!
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

erwinrafael wrote:Hello, Sir. Thanks for dropping by. And thanks to VEI led by your crew for not letting us down with your books. :)

I have two questions:

1) Does VEI have rights over Quantum and Woody or are there complications given the special arrangement with Priest and Doc Bright? if you do have the rights, are there plans for the characters given that there is already a "buddy" book in Archer and Armstrong?
2) Is there a regular rotation of artists for every series? Or would we see some guest interior art soon?

That's all for now. And thank you again for the wonderful work.

Hi erwinrafael,

Thank you for the kind words. I am very happy to hear that you’ve been enjoying the books. Everyone’s been putting their hearts into the titles, and doing our best to make sure that Valiant’s publishing some of the best comics on the stands every month. To answer your questions:

1) I generally avoid discussing legal questions as I'm no Saul Goodman. I can promise you that everyone upstairs loves Q & W, and we're all huge fans of the initial run.

2) You’ll see some new and guest artists appearing on the titles soon. We’re very happy to have Phil Briones joining us for the second arc of Harbinger, and Lee Garbett has been completing some amazing pages on the second arc of X-O Manowar. You’ve also already seen the brilliant Lewis LaRosa handle some of Peter Stanchek’s flashback sequences in Harbinger 2 and 3. To make sure the books ship on time, we usually have new artists joining us at the start of new arcs.

Thanks again!

Warren

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

FormerReader wrote:Warren,

Thanks for all the great work so far! :clap: Will we see any titles set in the future? Any plans for Phil Seleski? How soon until we can expect to see a title by a new character?

Hi FormerReader,

Thank you very much. Launching five titles in seven months has kept everyone upstairs busy and hard at work, and I am very happy to hear you’re digging the work. While you’ve seen – and will continue to see -- new characters popping up across all of our titles, we’re continuing to develop the Valiant library. But I wouldn’t be surprised if you see something that is, for all intents and purposes, a brand new title in the coming year…

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

kevinbastos wrote:Warren - humble thanks for all.

I want to ask those spoiler-y questions, but will try to stay with the business engine of things:

1. It seems from the new solicits that the 1:20 or 1:50 variants seem to be coming to a close - in some cases. What is the future long-term plan on that?

2. It seems that the shirts will be available in Baltimore. Any plans for mass marketing, and how can we get them to our own LCS?

3. Bloodshot HC - great idea. I know that Valiant is looking into the future pressings. Any idea when? Spoiling might be a problem, but do you still plan on the short new story - with perhaps involvement from old creators?

4. Quantum & Woody has been the spot of much speculation lately. Without destroying it, are the rights to the characters with VEI or limbo or somewhere between?

5. As always, how can we help?

Kevin,

Thank you very much. Your support is greatly appreciated. To answer your questions:

1) Our marketing and sales team consult with several dark gods each month to determine the appropriate variant ratios. I believe they sacrifice an intern to make this determination. All joking aside, you’ll be able to glean more of our future plans in this month’s solicits.

2) We should have more news on this soon, Kevin. We love the t-shirt giveaways, and have had an amazing response from our fans.

3) Our Valiant Masters Bloodshot HC will feature a brand new tale from the VH1 Universe by Kevin VanHook, Don Perlin, and Bob Wiacek.

4) Please see the answer above.

5) As always, your support is incredibly appreciated. Pre-ordering the books at your LCS is a HUGE help for us. And continuing to spread the word both online and at the shops that Valiant is back and kicking *SQUEE* is most appreciated.

Thanks!

Warren

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

BugsySig wrote:Warren,

First, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions (again). It really shows how much effort VEI has made and is making to reach out to fans, old and new. It is appreciated, and should continue to contribute to VALIANT's success.

Second, I have loved all of the books so far. In most cases, my expectations have been far exceeded and I will continue to look forward to being blown away each and every month.

I have a few questions, if you can answer:

1. Based on the FCBD issue, though never confirmed by Valiant, it seemed as though Eternal Warrior was slated as the 5th ongoing title. Was that the case and the plan changed when the pitch for Shadowman was too good to pass up? Or was the plan always for Shadowman to be the 5th title and EW to make his first "full" appearance this winter? If the former, can you explain how that process occurred. If the later, you are sneaky devils.

2. Will the Geomancers be appearing soon, or at all? And if so, will any of them wear a headband?

3. When can we expect our "We Are the 20%" t-shirts?

Thanks,
Bugsy

Hey Bugsy,

It is my pleasure. Thank you for the great questions, and I am VERY happy to hear that you’re loving the titles. To answer your questions:

1) Wow, you are correct. I forgot all about that. We did say something in the FCBD book about the Eternal Warrior appearing this winter…didn’t we? Hmmm…

2) The Geomancers played a very important role in the original Valiant Universe. It’s the kind of role that is probably too important to ignore…you’d think. Hmmm….As for the headband, it has returned in force to the NBA, which leads me to believe it might work for the Geomancer.

Again, thanks for the great questions!

--Warren