A new story angle I haven't seen mentioned...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
A new story angle I haven't seen mentioned...

Post by jmatt »

The Vine didn't create the armor and they appear to know little about it.

That means that somewhere out there is a civilization that did create it. Possibilities abound.
Last edited by jmatt on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:25:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
Re: A new story angle I haven't seen mentioned...

Post by etos45 »

jmatt wrote:The Vine didn't create the armor and they appear to know little about it.

That means that somewhere out there, somewhere, is a civilization that did create it. Possibilities abound.
The Spider Aliens aren't dead after all.... :hm:

Sven
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by Sven »

No, we just misplaced the blueprints
always watching you...

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Sven wrote:No, we just misplaced the blueprints
OMG!! :funnypost: ROTFLMAO!!
***Support your local farmers!***

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

jmatt wrote:The Vine didn't create the armor and they appear to know little about it.

That means that somewhere out there, is a civilization that did create it. Possibilities abound.
I don't think the original Valiant stories had the Spider Aliens as the creators... as far as we know, they were only "users".

etos45

Post by etos45 »

greg wrote:

That means that somewhere out there, is a civilization that did create it. Possibilities abound.
I don't think the original Valiant stories had the Spider Aliens as the creators... as far as we know, they were only "users".
Hm, I was always under the impression that they made (or grew) them because they had so many different classes of armor. If they didn't, then I guess that opens Valiant up to a new story they can tell.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

etos45 wrote:
greg wrote:

Hm, I was always under the impression that they made (or grew) them because they had so many different classes of armor. If they didn't, then I guess that opens Valiant up to a new story they can tell.
Yeah, XO #0 shows them waiting for shanhara as though it was a fruit falling from tree, then returning to their home (?) world with it. I always got the impression they were grown over thousands of years and had different types like there are types of apples or grapes.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Paradigm38
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Paradigm38 »

Kind of a Phyrexian (sorry, Fanboys!) kinda deal... interesting...

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:Yeah, XO #0 shows them waiting for shanhara as though it was a fruit falling from tree, then returning to their home (?) world with it. I always got the impression they were grown over thousands of years and had different types like there are types of apples or grapes.
True for VH1 but we don't know what the new storyline holds.

I would think that if the Vine knew anything about the armor, we wouldn't see the security captain claiming it was a fraud the clergy maintain to keep the troops in line. With that in mind, I don't think they've ever seen an X-O class entity in action.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

BugsySig wrote:
etos45 wrote:
greg wrote:

My take away was always that they were more or less the ones that learned how to develop and unlock the power of the seeds. I don't think they created it, but they at the very least recognized, if not helped it along after they discovered what it could do.

Yeah, XO #0 shows them waiting for shanhara as though it was a fruit falling from tree, then returning to their home (?) world with it. I always got the impression they were grown over thousands of years and had different types like there are types of apples or grapes.

zoso20
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by zoso20 »

greg wrote:

Go take a peek at the first couple of pages of the X-O Database..........it lays out how they made it........

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

zoso20 wrote:Go take a peek at the first couple of pages of the X-O Database..........it lays out how they made it........
That thing kind of reads like Axe Cop. :P

zoso20

Post by zoso20 »

greg wrote:
zoso20 wrote:Go take a peek at the first couple of pages of the X-O Database..........it lays out how they made it........

I used to love the tech manuals like that one and ones they did for Iron Man and other tech heroes/villians............guess thats why it stuck in my head........ Axe Cop facepalm

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

greg wrote:

I like your line of thinking, jmatt. Another species out there? Coolness.

The Vine definitely appear to be worshippers, not creators... however, they may have created the thing so long ago that they've forgotten how to do it... or it could still retain some similarity to the VH1 concept, where it 'grows' a new one every 2000 years or so [timed conveniently for the story in 11-13]. If it has been around 2000 years since the VEI x-o came along, it makes sense that it could have become a cult of worship...

I do love The Vine so far, just read an interview with Venditti where he mentions spending a lot of time revising the old Spider Aliens into The Vine... but that also doesn't mean there can't be other aliens too.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56402#.T ... E.facebook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm also vaguely recalling that somewhere in the VH1 X-O #1, #2, or #3 the spider aliens have some dialogue about the x-o suit as if they created it...
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zoso20

Post by zoso20 »

grendeljd wrote:
greg wrote:

I like your line of thinking, jmatt. Another species out there? Coolness.

The Vine definitely appear to be worshippers, not creators... however, they may have created the thing so long ago that they've forgotten how to do it... or it could still retain some similarity to the VH1 concept, where it 'grows' a new one every 2000 years or so [timed conveniently for the story in 11-13]. If it has been around 2000 years since the VEI x-o came along, it makes sense that it could have become a cult of worship...

I do love The Vine so far, just read an interview with Venditti where he mentions spending a lot of time revising the old Spider Aliens into The Vine... but that also doesn't mean there can't be other aliens too.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56402#.T ... E.facebook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm also vaguely recalling that somewhere in the VH1 X-O #1, #2, or #3 the spider aliens have some dialogue about the x-o suit as if they created it...

The X-O Database issue that came with the TPB details the creation of the armor by the Spider-Aliens.....

Ah......here..... this is the exact text from the Database........case closed....

http://wiki.valiantentertainment.com/in ... lass_Armor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

zoso20 wrote:Ah......here..... this is the exact text from the Database........case closed....
We're not debating where the armor came from in 1992. Everyone knows that from X-O #0. We're just speculating about what may lay ahead in the current version. I sincerely hope it doesn't follow what came before.

Gimme new! :lol:

Ross2
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Ross2 »

That means that somewhere out there is a civilization that did create it. Possibilities abound.
Could it be the Psi-Lords from the future?

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Only the Shadow knows for sure....

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

it was built by the engineers.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Brother Darque wrote:it was built by the engineers.
Oh god. Don't even start that :bigeyes:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

grendeljd wrote:
Brother Darque wrote:it was built by the engineers.
Oh god. Don't even start that :bigeyes:
it was an invitation.

Xtianhardy
Valiant fan since: 1995
Favorite character: Pete Stanchek
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Xtianhardy »

zoso20 wrote:
greg wrote:

I used to love the tech manuals like that one and ones they did for Iron Man and other tech heroes/villians............guess thats why it stuck in my head........ Axe Cop facepalm
My favorite part of the X-O tech manual are the see-through overlays in the middle of the book detailing the layers of the armor. I wish there were more special issues with neat stuff like that in modern superhero/tech books. Very cool.
"We are what we imagine ourselves to be" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

Xtianhardy wrote:
zoso20 wrote:
greg wrote:

My favorite part of the X-O tech manual are the see-through overlays in the middle of the book detailing the layers of the armor. I wish there were more special issues with neat stuff like that in modern superhero/tech books. Very cool.
Ditto. That was a cool aspect.

Brother Darque

Post by Brother Darque »

it was made by The Space Monoliths!!!!

The Dirt Gang
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Unity #1
Favorite writer: Shooter/Dysart
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by The Dirt Gang »

Could the XO Armor come from the same place as The Boon in A&A#1? The Faraway?
Multum In Parvo