Gold Key characters license

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Gold Key characters license

Post by StarBrand »

If Dark Horse loses the license to the Gold Key characters, would there be any clues to that on the Dark Horse website, or would we just gave to wait for an announcement?
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Re: Gold Key characters license

Post by BruceReville »

I doubt they would announce something like that on their site - we would find out through a secondary source such as bleeding cool or CBR
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I dont think they would announce it there either. I meant would we find any clues there, such as no Gold Key archives being listed at their site when usually there are some listed.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

When it comes to Dark Horse less is better

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I wish they'd use the Gold Key license for new books or let it go or lose it.
Last edited by StarBrand on Mon May 28, 2012 7:33:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Dark Horse still lists the Magnus/Predator crossover, too.

I think if they PUBLISHED it - it still can be referenced.

Future, though...
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

StarBrand wrote:I wish they'd use the Gold Key license for new books or let it go or lose it.
Why let it go when they can reprint material they never had to create for profit - seriously what has Dark Horse came up with on their own that has been a success in the last few years? If it wasn't publishing licensed property the company would have folded years ago. Nothing original comes from Dark Horse anymore.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:I wish they'd use the Gold Key license for new books or let it go or lose it.
Why let it go when they can reprint material they never had to create for profit - seriously what has Dark Horse came up with on their own that has been a success in the last few years? If it wasn't publishing licensed property the company would have folded years ago. Nothing original comes from Dark Horse anymore.
The license obviously costs them money. At some point selling the same archives over and over has to lose momentum.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
The license obviously costs them money. At some point selling the same archives over and over has to lose momentum.
Yes it does cost, but not that much to where some profit isn't made - if it wasn't for Star Wars - Conan - Predator - Aliens - Buffy/Angel - Manga - Gold Key licensed/reprint products what does Dark Horse have to keep the company afloat? Hellboy? Nope that is a creator owned product. Dark Horse has nothing original that could keep the company going if it ever lost all these licensed products and if something starts to lose money Dark Horse is real quick to drop it and wipe their hands clean - especially if it is one of their original ideas. Dark Horse uses licenses like a crutch - no original thinking anymore.

TheVisitor
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by TheVisitor »

Dark Horse has not solicited any Gold Key Archives (Turok, Boris Karloff, Space Family Robinson, etc...) in 4 months. Sales of these volumes are well under 1000 copies. Maybe they did pull the plug...

--Phil

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

TheVisitor wrote:Dark Horse has not solicited any Gold Key Archives (Turok, Boris Karloff, Space Family Robinson, etc...) in 4 months. Sales of these volumes are well under 1000 copies. Maybe they did pull the plug...

--Phil
VikingSpawn alluded to this. I didn't realize it had been four months. :hm:

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

I hope they lost all Gold Key properties :hope:

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote: The license obviously costs them money. At some point selling the same archives over and over has to lose momentum.
Yes it does cost, but not that much to where some profit isn't made - if it wasn't for Star Wars - Conan - Predator - Aliens - Buffy/Angel - Manga - Gold Key licensed/reprint products what does Dark Horse have to keep the company afloat?
Huh? Just look at the sales charts - I'd recon that the Gold Key stuff is at the BOTTOM of those licensed materials in terms of sales numbers. As StarBrand points out, it's not profitable if it loses momentum. I think not publishing any Gold Key books for four months means they've lost momentum. For the last four months, they've technically paid a licensing fee, and have done NOTHING to recoup that cost.

In short, StarBrand is 100% right. Yes, licensed properties are DH's bread and butter, but their not going to PAY A FEE for something that gives no return on that investment.

That being said, I don't see Valiant paying that fee for these properties. I don't remember where I'd heard it mentioned, but I swear I saw that the Gold Key license was actually fairly expensive...

Aram
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
I'm just glad it was pretty good, long and drawn out. (that's what she said.)
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite character: Tie between Flo and Andy
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite writer: The ones that wrote 4 Valiant.

Post by Aram »

The Beyonder wrote: That being said, I don't see Valiant paying that fee for these properties. I don't remember where I'd heard it mentioned, but I swear I saw that the Gold Key license was actually fairly expensive...
I could be wrong but it seems to me that VEI has always answered licensing questions by stating that they want to focus on the fully owned Valiant original properties. I have a feeling that the idea of re introducing those characters as part of their own new Universe is something that they have completely decided against even if the licensing was cheap.

There is a fan bas and demand... But not enough to warrant long term risks to continuity. I Dont see Goldkey characters ever coming back unless somehow Valiant was able to outright purchase the rights to them, or unless they created a secondary line... Like dcs vertigo or marvel's 2099 or something.
It's not that I don't have an avatar... I've just been working on it for the last few hundred years.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Aram wrote:I don't see Goldkey characters ever coming back [to Valiant] unless somehow Valiant was able to outright purchase the rights to them
This.

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

greg wrote:
Aram wrote:I don't see Goldkey characters ever coming back [to Valiant] unless somehow Valiant was able to outright purchase the rights to them
This.
+1
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

+2! :)

And you know the price tag to buy them outright would be far more expensive than you could reasonably recoup. I'm fine with this universe excluding Solar, Turok and Magnus.

BugsySig
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

The Beyonder wrote:+2! :)

And you know the price tag to buy them outright would be far more expensive than you could reasonably recoup. I'm fine with this universe excluding Solar, Turok and Magnus.
It is going to be tough for fans of the original for a while, but the universe is coming together nicely thus far, and new readers won't know the difference.

And I figure: A) If there is no future timeline (as has been rumored/suggested) then Magnus wont be missed, B) If another character, such as Ivar, can fill the Deus Ex Machina role Solar often played, then his loss is diminished, and C) The man-out-of-time role of Turok is easily filled (and done better IMHO) by XO.

I know it's a bit more complicated than just that, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :twocents:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Funny how times change... I remember when the consensus here was that they just couldn't relaunch the Valiant universe without Solar, Magnus, and Turok. Now it seems a lot of people, myself included, would prefer they not even bother licensing those characters (but an outright purchase would be OK).
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

The Beyonder wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote: The license obviously costs them money. At some point selling the same archives over and over has to lose momentum.
Yes it does cost, but not that much to where some profit isn't made - if it wasn't for Star Wars - Conan - Predator - Aliens - Buffy/Angel - Manga - Gold Key licensed/reprint products what does Dark Horse have to keep the company afloat?
Huh? Just look at the sales charts - I'd recon that the Gold Key stuff is at the BOTTOM of those licensed materials in terms of sales numbers. As StarBrand points out, it's not profitable if it loses momentum. I think not publishing any Gold Key books for four months means they've lost momentum. For the last four months, they've technically paid a licensing fee, and have done NOTHING to recoup that cost.

In short, StarBrand is 100% right. Yes, licensed properties are DH's bread and butter, but their not going to PAY A FEE for something that gives no return on that investment.

That being said, I don't see Valiant paying that fee for these properties. I don't remember where I'd heard it mentioned, but I swear I saw that the Gold Key license was actually fairly expensive...
I guess you just ignored this line in my original post - "if something starts to lose money Dark Horse is real quick to drop it and wipe their hands clean" - which is essentially what Dark Horse has done with the Dark Key property - I mentioned the Gold Key properties with those others as that is what 90% of DH's material is - Basically Other People's stuff.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

Heath wrote:Funny how times change... I remember when the consensus here was that they just couldn't relaunch the Valiant universe without Solar, Magnus, and Turok. Now it seems a lot of people, myself included, would prefer they not even bother licensing those characters (but an outright purchase would be OK).
That just says something about what Valiant is doing. Originally, I only wanted a relaunch that kept the old continuity which would mean the GK3 had to be there. Now, I can see how terrible that would have likely turned out. I know we haven't seen a lot from the new line, but so far everything looks great and I'm really excited that they chose to reboot. If you would have told me I'd be saying that a year ago I would have thought you were nuts. I also agree that as much as I love Solar and Magnus, I think Valiant is better off leaving them alone. Licensing just seems like a major pain. I will miss Solar, though.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

etos45 wrote:
Heath wrote:Funny how times change... I remember when the consensus here was that they just couldn't relaunch the Valiant universe without Solar, Magnus, and Turok. Now it seems a lot of people, myself included, would prefer they not even bother licensing those characters (but an outright purchase would be OK).
That just says something about what Valiant is doing. Originally, I only wanted a relaunch that kept the old continuity which would mean the GK3 had to be there. Now, I can see how terrible that would have likely turned out. I know we haven't seen a lot from the new line, but so far everything looks great and I'm really excited that they chose to reboot. If you would have told me I'd be saying that a year ago I would have thought you were nuts. I also agree that as much as I love Solar and Magnus, I think Valiant is better off leaving them alone. Licensing just seems like a major pain. I will miss Solar, though.
:thumb:

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Agreed, would love to Have new books but they dont have to be incorporated into Valiant anymore and of course if Valiant could purchase them outright that'd be great. It's just not necessary anymore. We've all seen the proof in the pudding so to speak :thumb:
Click the Sig, Hear Something Different!
http://www.reverbnation.com/lexmoon
Also, Check my reverbnation page^