H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: v1 X-O / v3 Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: SW:TOR

Post by Eternalwarrior68 »

I've been in two beta weekends and the large one over thanksgiving. Cant wait for my early access email! Ill be on the "Vrook Lamar" server

Rubiks-Q-Bert
Deathmate: Opinions vary. I liked it.
Deathmate: Opinions vary.  I liked it.
Favorite character: Master Darque

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

I have yet to pick a realm but that depends on where some of my other friends will be playing. I run a guild on world of warcraft and a bunch of us will form a new one on star wars.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Didn't get to play the beta sadly as despite being chosen, there were major issues with my series of graphics card (hopefully this will be sorted by release). A friend had a kin on the old SW Galaxies that are all moving over onto one server so thats where I think I'll be. I hope TOR doesn't get too much of the WOW crowd as I found that to be a very unwelcoming community (I'm sure your cool Rubiks :wink: ).

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

ian_house wrote:Didn't get to play the beta sadly as despite being chosen, there were major issues with my series of graphics card (hopefully this will be sorted by release). A friend had a kin on the old SW Galaxies that are all moving over onto one server so thats where I think I'll be. I hope TOR doesn't get too much of the WOW crowd as I found that to be a very unwelcoming community (I'm sure your cool Rubiks :wink: ).
Calling it the "WoW crowd" is a bit unfair. It's the internet crowd. WoW did not start with a bunch of whiny, elitist, *SQUEE*, immature players. It developed over the years as it brought in more and more people. I can tell you now if TOR lasts as long as WoW has and gets half the players WoW has, it will happen there too. I can also tell you that you will get a lot of WoW players. A lot of us are ready for something new, including myself. One of the top WoW guilds in the world quit recently and will be on TOR so there is the start of the elitist I am better than you crowd.

I understand what you are saying though and I hope so too. You can go to any realm on WoW and the chat is just filled with idiocy. I'd like to avoid that if just for a little while.

And yeah I am pretty much the bees knees of cool. Ask anyone! :P

ian_house
SW:TOR

Post by ian_house »

Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:
ian_house wrote:Didn't get to play the beta sadly as despite being chosen, there were major issues with my series of graphics card (hopefully this will be sorted by release). A friend had a kin on the old SW Galaxies that are all moving over onto one server so thats where I think I'll be. I hope TOR doesn't get too much of the WOW crowd as I found that to be a very unwelcoming community (I'm sure your cool Rubiks :wink: ).
Calling it the "WoW crowd" is a bit unfair. It's the internet crowd. WoW did not start with a bunch of whiny, elitist, *SQUEE*, immature players. It developed over the years as it brought in more and more people. I can tell you now if TOR lasts as long as WoW has and gets half the players WoW has, it will happen there too. I can also tell you that you will get a lot of WoW players. A lot of us are ready for something new, including myself. One of the top WoW guilds in the world quit recently and will be on TOR so there is the start of the elitist I am better than you crowd.

I understand what you are saying though and I hope so too. You can go to any realm on WoW and the chat is just filled with idiocy. I'd like to avoid that if just for a little while.

It's when things get quite that popular, I can't play FIFA or Modern Warfare for the same reasons. Just way too many kids who have found freedom through the Internet and use it to shout and swear. It's a shame as the games are all good, but Id just rather have a better community. Have you tried Lord of the Rings Online? It has a consistently mature and helpful community, which I think partially comes from the restrictions on naming (you have to use a vaguely middle earth-ish style name). Stops all the nonsense of people being called things like Noob Raper and the ensuing arguments.
Nanites at work!

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

ian_house wrote:
Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:

It's when things get quite that popular, I can't play FIFA or Modern Warfare for the same reasons. Just way too many kids who have found freedom through the Internet and use it to shout and swear. It's a shame as the games are all good, but Id just rather have a better community. Have you tried Lord of the Rings Online? It has a consistently mature and helpful community, which I think partially comes from the restrictions on naming (you have to use a vaguely middle earth-ish style name). Stops all the nonsense of people being called things like Noob Raper and the ensuing arguments.
Yeah. WoW has role playing realms where I have been told things are less crazy. I've tried other games but I am very picky. Havent found anything I would switch to up until now.

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

I'm pretty sure I'm biting the bullet on this game tomorrow... are we going to designate a ValiantFans realm for everyone to join? :thumb:

etos45

Post by etos45 »

I'm playing on the Telos Restoration Project if anyone wants to join. Name is (big shock) etos.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

I'm playing on the Telos Restoration Project if anyone wants to join. Name is (big shock) etos.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Back home for crimbo at the mo but will be picking it up early in Jan. I'm up for a VF guild!

etos45

Post by etos45 »

They have a server called "The Harbinger" that just screams Valiant Fans. :D

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Finally got around to getting the game (despite the fact I have 5-10 other games on the go). Started out as a Sith warrior (dual sabered Zabrak!) on the Red Eclipse. Yhe game is pretty stunning and Ive found myself forgetting Im playing an MMO. I love the bioware chat system and suprised it works so well in an MMO, especially group chats- awesome!
Nanites at work!

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

Got a guild on the realm Sanctum of the Exalted. A couple buddies from WoW and some of his friends. Running hard modes right now. Gonna try and get some raids together soon. In any case if anyone is interested in joining us, just look up De'trop. I'm on quite a bit and would look forward to some more company in game.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Im not sure Im a big fan of the game, feels like a watered down mass effect but with standard mmo stuff. Maybe its because Im not playing with a big guild and Im playing a million other games.
Nanites at work!

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

Too much on my plate now, Ill have to pass.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

etos45 wrote:They have a server called "The Harbinger" that just screams Valiant Fans. :D
And Mass Effect fans. :clap: :thumb: :lol:
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

etos45

Post by etos45 »

I went ahead and started another character on Mind Trick because my server is DEAD... all the time.

Gonna try playing with a trooper for awhile, it's been fun so far so we'll see.

Does anybody know, if they ever allow character transfers in game but some idiot accidentally gave both characters the same name, do I get the option to rename them? I don't want to just throw my old character away, so I'm really banking on character transfers or server mergers coming soon.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Character transfers are coming in 1.2 I think.
My friend plays a trooper, they seem pretty damn cool and hard as nails.
Ive just hit L34 (Jedi Sage) and finished the 1st chapter of my class quest - which was freaking awesome!
Nanites at work!

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

etos45 wrote:I went ahead and started another character on Mind Trick because my server is DEAD... all the time.

Does anybody know, if they ever allow character transfers in game but some idiot accidentally gave both characters the same name, do I get the option to rename them? I don't want to just throw my old character away, so I'm really banking on character transfers or server mergers coming soon.
Good choice. I quit but I did play a bounty hunter which is the same thing except they use big guns as opposed to dual wielding blasters. With the right gear they do some massive damage. Pretty easy rotation/priority. I don't recall what the spec is called for troopers but for bounty hunter the spec is arsenal mercenary.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

ian_house wrote:Character transfers are coming in 1.2 I think.
My friend plays a trooper, they seem pretty damn cool and hard as nails.
Ive just hit L34 (Jedi Sage) and finished the 1st chapter of my class quest - which was freaking awesome!
Man, I hope that's true about the character transfer. I hated leaving my Jedi Knight behind, but that server just sucked. On a night when almost every other server was heavy, mine would still be light and I'm talking maybe 10 people playing on the map I was on. So flashpoints and operations were completely out of the question.

I've only played with the trooper for about an hour so far, but I really like him. He's mowing down even the higher ranking enemies. :thumb:

etos45

Post by etos45 »

Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:
etos45 wrote:I went ahead and started another character on Mind Trick because my server is DEAD... all the time.

Good choice. I quit but I did play a bounty hunter which is the same thing except they use big guns as opposed to dual wielding blasters. With the right gear they do some massive damage. Pretty easy rotation/priority. I don't recall what the spec is called for troopers but for bounty hunter the spec is arsenal mercenary.
It's looking like I'm going to go the Commando - Gunnery Ranged DPS. I was kind of hoping for something more along the lines of a medic, but I'm having trouble finding skill tree suggestions for that which makes me think it wouldn't be a good fit. I'm just hoping this server works out better. I've been watching it and it seem to stay heavy at peak times, so I'm hopeful. That's the only really frustrating thing about TOR right now is there is no sense of community. I never had anywhere near this kind of problem with WoW. I don't want to pay $15/month for a single player game.

Rubiks-Q-Bert

Post by Rubiks-Q-Bert »

etos45 wrote:
Rubiks-Q-Bert wrote:

It's looking like I'm going to go the Commando - Gunnery Ranged DPS. I was kind of hoping for something more along the lines of a medic, but I'm having trouble finding skill tree suggestions for that which makes me think it wouldn't be a good fit. I'm just hoping this server works out better. I've been watching it and it seem to stay heavy at peak times, so I'm hopeful. That's the only really frustrating thing about TOR right now is there is no sense of community. I never had anywhere near this kind of problem with WoW. I don't want to pay $15/month for a single player game.
I understand that. On the TOR realm I was on I joined the best raiding guild but since I still run a raiding guild on WoW I could never get into any raids because of time conflicts. So I ended up playing by myself most of the time.

If gunnery is the middle tree then that would be the tree for top dps.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1049172?p=14760285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; might be good for the healing spec. I think it's actually for bounty hunter but the talents are actually the same. Just named different.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Confirmed as end of april
Nanites at work!