OUR Questions for Valiant's Warren Simons - WARREN ANSWERS

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that
Re: OUR Questions for Valiant's Warren Simons - WARREN ANSWE

Post by Elveen »

Chiclo wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:
Warren Simons wrote:\
You guys and gals are one of the big keys to our success

Thanks again!

Are you sure you know the demographic around here?
My wife is a registered user here.

And a co-winner of the 1st Annual Valiant Jeopardy.

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Chiclo wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:

Thanks again!

She's racking up quite the post count too...

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by SJS4 »

Warren Simons wrote:
SJS4 wrote:First off thanks for doing this Q&A.

Kind of dissappointed I haven't seen Gilad/The Eternal Warrior mentioned...I know you can't say if he will get his own title but can you tell us if he is at least in the plans of the Universe?

FWIW he was always my favorite character and I really enjoyed all the different types of stories they did with him in VHI (the yearbooks and the wings special were some of my favorites).

Thanks again and good luck in 2012. I am really looking forward to buying my first new comic in over a decade next year...and I am pretty stoked that it will be a Valiant comic!

Hey SJS4, thanks for the great question. I really dig the Eternal Warrior. I think he’s got the potential to be an amazing break out star. I’ve gotten a costume redesign in from one of the best artists in the industry, and I can’t wait to share it with you.
I edited Thor and Ares over at Marvel, and while those two characters are gods, I think EW’s got a similar vibe in a lot of ways. There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes with him, and we’ve got big plans for EW. Thanks.
Very cool, cannot wait to see it!

Thanks!
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

SJS4 wrote:
Warren Simons wrote:
SJS4 wrote:First off thanks for doing this Q&A.

Kind of dissappointed I haven't seen Gilad/The Eternal Warrior mentioned...I know you can't say if he will get his own title but can you tell us if he is at least in the plans of the Universe?

FWIW he was always my favorite character and I really enjoyed all the different types of stories they did with him in VHI (the yearbooks and the wings special were some of my favorites).

Thanks again and good luck in 2012. I am really looking forward to buying my first new comic in over a decade next year...and I am pretty stoked that it will be a Valiant comic!

Hey SJS4, thanks for the great question. I really dig the Eternal Warrior. I think he’s got the potential to be an amazing break out star. I’ve gotten a costume redesign in from one of the best artists in the industry, and I can’t wait to share it with you.
I edited Thor and Ares over at Marvel, and while those two characters are gods, I think EW’s got a similar vibe in a lot of ways. There are a lot of things going on behind the scenes with him, and we’ve got big plans for EW. Thanks.
Very cool, cannot wait to see it!

Thanks!
+1
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

havok1977
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by havok1977 »

Warren Simons wrote:
havok1977 wrote:Hello Warren, thanks a lot for taking the time to do this :)

I posted this question on your facebook page a while back, but got no response... so I'm back at it, hoping you can let us know a bit more.

I wonder if the relaunch of the Valiant line will include two timelines like the original VH1 did?

I'm getting the drift that for sure X-O, the Harbinger kids, Bloodshot etc will be in present day with Gilad and Armstrong cruising around history a la Highlander.

Yet without Magnus around, having the future timeline of the year 4000 in which Rai and others ran around might be a though thing to sustain I think; can you shed any light into this?

Hey havok1977, thanks for the great question. This is one that I’m going to save for the books, however. You’ll have some answers before you know it.
Ok fair enough; Ill for sure be preordering when the time comes for my fave titles: XO, EW, and any futuristic stuff that might pop up :) Thanks again Warren

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

Just throwing this out there.

Bob Layton appears to be free for work.

Just saying. :thumb:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

OmenSpirits.com wrote:Just throwing this out there.

Since it has already been tried and didn't work out so well, it's probably for the best not to get involved with Bob (or Jim for that matter). It would have been a dream come true for a lot of fans had things panned out, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
OmenSpirits.com wrote:Just throwing this out there.

Since it has already been tried and didn't work out so well, it's probably for the best not to get involved with Bob (or Jim for that matter). It would have been a dream come true for a lot of fans had things panned out, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.
+1
ASM Crossover Home

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

The ship on former Valiant craftsmen (for the most part) has sailed. I look forward to the experience of some (Frank) sailing this NEW ship but also look forward to separating the Valiant of the past with the Valiant of the future (Warren).

If we do not let go of what was, it will be an anchor keeping us grounded on Earth... looking at the stars instead of sailing among them.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Warren,
Could you take the cover to the first release from this launch and make it your avatar?
Thanks,

Mark

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Knightt wrote:The ship on former Valiant craftsmen (for the most part) has sailed. I look forward to the experience of some (Frank) sailing this NEW ship but also look forward to separating the Valiant of the past with the Valiant of the future (Warren).

If we do not let go of what was, it will be an anchor keeping us grounded on Earth... looking at the stars instead of sailing among them.
Had no idea you were so poetic, chris...
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

myron wrote:
Knightt wrote:The ship on former Valiant craftsmen (for the most part) has sailed. I look forward to the experience of some (Frank) sailing this NEW ship but also look forward to separating the Valiant of the past with the Valiant of the future (Warren).

Me neither, it almost made me lose my lunch. :roll:

I have one more class until I finish my BSoE in February.... maybe all these college classes are rubbing off after 45 years on the planet. I guess I am feeling edjumicated.

But I am just saying, whatever was in the past, well let it live in the past or we will be disappointed and very hard to please when the new Valiant books came out. We tore Shooter a new one when he was writing THREE former Valiant characters. It was kind of a dream team. So, with that said, I've met Warren, Frank and got reaquanted with Dinesh... I could feel their positive energy and motivation towards doing things, doing them the best they can, and that success is going to be very dependent on US looking at the new books with fresh 2012 eyes and leaving the old Valiant in the comic book boxes. I WANT these to succeed and if I hold the new books to the old standard, I think I will not be fair to the hard work that is currently going on and suggest others do the same.

:hope:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Knightt wrote:
myron wrote:

Me neither, it almost made me lose my lunch. :roll:

I have one more class until I finish my BSoE in February.... maybe all these college classes are rubbing off after 45 years on the planet. I guess I am feeling edjumicated.

But I am just saying, whatever was in the past, well let it live in the past or we will be disappointed and very hard to please when the new Valiant books came out. We tore Shooter a new one when he was writing THREE former Valiant characters. It was kind of a dream team. So, with that said, I've met Warren, Frank and got reaquanted with Dinesh... I could feel their positive energy and motivation towards doing things, doing them the best they can, and that success is going to be very dependent on US looking at the new books with fresh 2012 eyes and leaving the old Valiant in the comic book boxes. I WANT these to succeed and if I hold the new books to the old standard, I think I will not be fair to the hard work that is currently going on and suggest others do the same.

:hope:
Sounds like good advice. :thumb:

Byrneout
...and in THIS corner...
...and in THIS corner...
Location: Originally Hell's Kitchen, NY - *SKREE* that "Clinton, NY" *SKREE* - now Cincinnati, OH

Post by Byrneout »

How very, very true.

I loved the original universe. I was 50/50 on the second universe. What little I've seen here, though, looks like it's going to be spectacular.

I would do illegal things to acquire another Bob Hall run on Shadowman - but I also have to recognize that there are other artists and writers who might be able to give that book a new voice that feels as true as Bob's.

Hopefully, once I'm done writing other things, I might be one of those people. Which leads me to *my* question for Warren:

How do freelancers send in copies of their work for consideration on future projects? :D

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Byrneout wrote:How very, very true.

I loved the original universe. I was 50/50 on the second universe. What little I've seen here, though, looks like it's going to be spectacular.

I would do illegal things to acquire another Bob Hall run on Shadowman - but I also have to recognize that there are other artists and writers who might be able to give that book a new voice that feels as true as Bob's.

Hopefully, once I'm done writing other things, I might be one of those people. Which leads me to *my* question for Warren:

How do freelancers send in copies of their work for consideration on future projects? :D
I don't know how loving the first universe I was. We all tend to place it on a pedestal, but forget much of how the universe went. Shadowman was great start to finish. Archer and Armstrong began as my fave, then became a mess, then painful. SOLAR had peaks and valleys of greatness through much of its run. Same with Magnus - perhaps at its worst just after (and to some extent during) Unity.

Eternal Warrior wasn't my fave when it came out, but has held up well.

Psi-Lords, Geomancer, Dr. Mirage, and Timewalker were all relatively low points in the Valiant Universe.

Acclaim was strangely uneven. Sometimes I wonder how it didn't succeed, and other times wonder how it lasted as long as it did. Shadowman got better as it went. The last six issues were pretty darned fantastic. Armorines may have been better the second time around. Quantum and Woody was excellent through. Bloodshot may have been equivalent to its previous incantation. Trinity Angels? Ninjak? Bleach. And so on.

Of course, the Dark Horse re-launch was train-wrecky through and through. But I can remember mixed thoughts. I hated Samson, but some found greatness.

What the heck is the point of this rambling?

I'm prepared to keep an open mind. I'll judge when I see them - probably too harshly. I can't see these books as being the greatest things ever published - but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

At the core of this - these characters have been silent - or at lest pretty darned quiet - since 1999/2000. That's longer than the entire line was in existence for. This could be five years ago when the line was dormant. For that, I am grateful.
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Well said. Have you been reading philosophy books lately? :P

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

How many stories will the Valiant 2012 FCBD issue contain?

yardstick
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by yardstick »

dave wrote:

Well said. Have you been reading philosophy books lately? :P
Dave,

Your eyes look a little glazed. Have you been eating donuts?

:P :P :P

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Questions to Warren:

DC have recently relaunched, and while their characters still have super-powers, their actions seem less than heroic at times. Worse still the gratuitous sex and violence dials have been cranked up in some (many?) of their titles as they apparently reach for a 17-34 demographic in the manner they (DC) feel they will be able grab it; in that vein do you guys have a tone in mind for the VALIANT titles across the line?

Do you feel there is a line to be drawn between heroic action in comic books and increasingly visceral violence (and now sex) in the mainstream of the superhero genre in the comic book medium?

Have these kind of considerations informed plans for the VALIANT relaunch?

Thanks (hopefully) for your time. Leon.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

leonmallett wrote:Questions to Warren:

DC have recently relaunched, and while their characters still have super-powers, their actions seem less than heroic at times. Worse still the gratuitous sex and violence dials have been cranked up in some (many?) of their titles as they apparently reach for a 17-34 demographic in the manner they (DC) feel they will be able grab it; in that vein do you guys have a tone in mind for the VALIANT titles across the line?

Do you feel there is a line to be drawn between heroic action in comic books and increasingly visceral violence (and now sex) in the mainstream of the superhero genre in the comic book medium?

Great question!!
IMHO, comics should be for age 10+... The reason I stopped buying new books was that my young boys wanted to know why there were 2 girls in their underwear sleeping together :| That was one of the first 52 books.. it was the last straw for me. :mad:

I hope that Valiant will market as much as possible to all ages... or nearly all ages. Not sure what sex does for a comic other than turning it into soft porn. M2C...

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

IanAlexavier wrote:
leonmallett wrote:Questions to Warren:

Great question!!
IMHO, comics should be for age 10+... The reason I stopped buying new books was that my young boys wanted to know why there were 2 girls in their underwear sleeping together :| That was one of the first 52 books.. it was the last straw for me. :mad:

I hope that Valiant will market as much as possible to all ages... or nearly all ages. Not sure what sex does for a comic other than turning it into soft porn. M2C...
I'm all with you guys on this.

chainnball
banned on my iphone
banned on my iphone
Location: What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about??

Post by chainnball »

Chiclo wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:

Thanks again!

Jedimarley acts like a girl sometimes :?

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

chainnball wrote:
Chiclo wrote:
Blood of Heroes wrote:

Thanks again!

Jedimarley acts like a girl sometimes :?
You b!tch. :roll:

agent_graves
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

My aplogies, if this has already been asked but, Warren, will Archer & Armstrong #7-12 ever be collected in Hc form?? Better yet, Valiant could just by pass that, and release a Absolute Edition with #0-12, and a whole bunch of extra goodies, like early sketches and character designs by BWS.
#StayValiant

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

agent_graves wrote:My aplogies, if this has already been asked but, Warren, will Archer & Armstrong #7-12 ever be collected in Hc form?? Better yet, Valiant could just by pass that, and release a Absolute Edition with #0-12, and a whole bunch of extra goodies, like early sketches and character designs by BWS.
Be kind of hard to reprint those issues with Solar - Magnus in them as they no longer hold the publishing rights
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.