The Protectors

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino
The Protectors

Post by JonesyAZ »

Hey all,

Yes...i'm starting another thread about another random DU universe. In my thinking about the Ultraverse last week, I realized that I used to own "Protectors" #5 w/ the bullet-hole cover as a teenager. I never got any issues before or after that, but now discovering that this Malibu title only lasted 20 issues has piqued my collecting interests when I come across some cash again :)

My question: is there a discussion of this title on here somewhere, and if not...care to discuss if it is worth picking up?

I've already talked to Knightt about this and he has taken the time to obtain the variants and what-not...which I have to admit I am intrigued to do as well, if I decide to buy these books :)

Discuss!

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

The Protectors and one of it's spin-offs, The Ferret were both pretty good, if I remember.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

In the Dead Universe Checklists section, check the Malibu Genesis checklist thread.

Gravestone was another Protectors spinoff. There were a couple of one-shot spinoffs too. Arrow was definitely one. I think Airman was another, but I could be wrong.

If you really want to start driving yourself nuts, a predecessor to Malibu (Adventure? Amazing?) published a Miss Fury title and she was a character in the Protectors as well.

One thing about the Protectors - most of the issues had at least two covers, a separate Newsstand and Direct Edition cover.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

The Protectors #1-20 and Handbook #1
The Ferret vol. 1 #1
The Ferret vol. 2 #1-10
Gravestone #1-7
Man of War #1-6
Air Man #1
The Arrow #1

There is a crossover called Genesis that unites The Ex-Mutants, Dinosaurs for Hire, The Protectors, The Ferret, Gravestone, and Man of War into a single shared universe.

So you should also consider these titles:
Dinosaurs for Hire vol. 2 #1-12
The Ex-Mutants vol. 3 #1-18
Genesis #0

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

I actually found the Arrow one-shot for $0.50 at a second-hand store last night. One of my LCS is compiling me the 20 issue Protectors title as well as the specific "Genesis" tie-in issues (to complete the 6-issue arc:)).

I found the Arrow book to be interesting as a different kind of "gritty super-hero" read. Some of it was sloppy, but the way the character was handled was kind of refreshing (his frequent visits to the bar, and his amateur crime fighting mistakes).

For the moment, i'm just interested in the main title, but I may go back and get the various tie-in titles if the "need" arises...lol.
Cyberstrike wrote:The Protectors #1-20 and Handbook #1
The Ferret vol. 1 #1
The Ferret vol. 2 #1-10
Gravestone #1-7
Man of War #1-6
Air Man #1
The Arrow #1

There is a crossover called Genesis that unites The Ex-Mutants, Dinosaurs for Hire, The Protectors, The Ferret, Gravestone, and Man of War into a single shared universe.

Genesis #0

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

Lol...I am definitely interested in possibly getting both covers of the Protectors issues. Chiclo, by chance have you collected this series? If so, did you like it?

Chiclo wrote:In the Dead Universe Checklists section, check the Malibu Genesis checklist thread.

Gravestone was another Protectors spinoff. There were a couple of one-shot spinoffs too. Arrow was definitely one. I think Airman was another, but I could be wrong.

If you really want to start driving yourself nuts, a predecessor to Malibu (Adventure? Amazing?) published a Miss Fury title and she was a character in the Protectors as well.

One thing about the Protectors - most of the issues had at least two covers, a separate Newsstand and Direct Edition cover.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

I enjoyed Protectors a lot for the first 12 issues. After that they add Ex-mutants to the title and Imagey sort of villains (plus had a Cable wanna-be becomes the leader) but some of the intrigue and characterization that made the series work still remained. The ending of the series FINALLY reveals what the Great Question's plan was and what happened at Brinkstone so it's definitely worth sticking around for. Their some definitely cool stuff in the spin offs but the art was a mixed bag and Ferret was probably the best overall on the spin offs series/specials.

Remember Dinosaurs for Hire and Ex-Mutants have nothing to do with the Protectors line until the Genesis x-over when they got shoe horned into the same universe with...mixed results at best.

If you want to be thorough about every character that appears in the Protectors titles, the Miss Fury miniseries and the Rocket Ranger miniseries should be included. Cat & Mouse also appeared on a computer screen on one panel indicating that a character in the Protectors was hunting them, but the plotline unfortunately never was touched on after that. Oh and Ferret guest stars in Street Fighter #3 from Malibu.

And here's past Protectors discussions:

Protectors thread
http://valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic. ... protectors

Genesis comic checklist thread

Genesis Pog checklist

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Cyberstrike wrote:The Protectors #1-20 and Handbook #1
The Ferret vol. 1 #1
The Ferret vol. 2 #1-10
Gravestone #1-7
Man of War #1-6
Air Man #1
The Arrow #1

Genesis #0
Theres an ace Turok parody cover in those Dinosaurs for Hire issues!

tictuck
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by tictuck »

I could so hook you up with a few of these if you wanted also Jonesy. :thumb: :hm:

Tim
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

tictuck wrote:I could so hook you up with a few of these if you wanted also Jonesy. :thumb: :hm:
If Jonesy doesn't you can hook me up! :thumb:

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

JonesyAZ wrote:Lol...I am definitely interested in possibly getting both covers of the Protectors issues. Chiclo, by chance have you collected this series? If so, did you like it?

Chiclo wrote:In the Dead Universe Checklists section, check the Malibu Genesis checklist thread.

I am still short a few variants but I do have 1 - 20.

True story - I put the run of 1 - 20 on my dresser last summer with the intention of reading it. I've made it 6 issues through. Not something that really grabs me but still worth reading. I find the name of the villain "Mr. Monday" rather droll - if we are to believe Bob Geldof, nobody likes mondays.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

My buddy called me today and says that he has the #1 issues with the yellow, green, and red flap each. What was the deal with the different colored flaps?

I'll let y'all know if I score some of these books. Hoping to by next week.

My spring break is almost up :( The wife and I are having our fund-raiser on Saturday, which i'm super excited about though :)
Chiclo wrote:
JonesyAZ wrote:Lol...I am definitely interested in possibly getting both covers of the Protectors issues. Chiclo, by chance have you collected this series? If so, did you like it?

True story - I put the run of 1 - 20 on my dresser last summer with the intention of reading it. I've made it 6 issues through. Not something that really grabs me but still worth reading. I find the name of the villain "Mr. Monday" rather droll - if we are to believe Bob Geldof, nobody likes mondays.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

JonesyAZ wrote:My buddy called me today and says that he has the #1 issues with the yellow, green, and red flap each. What was the deal with the different colored flaps?
It's just what you said: the first issue had a flap on it that came in various colors just like Legends of the Dark Knight #1.

If a visual guide helps here's a site with all the covers on it:

http://www.mightycrusaders.net/mp_protectors.htm

Click on the names of the titles on the left side to see the covers for the spin off series/specials. (There's also links to who's who info off the handbook, Protectors merchandise, etc if you scroll down)

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

tictuck wrote:I could so hook you up with a few of these if you wanted also Jonesy. :thumb: :hm:
I gotta give mad props to TicTuck for hooking a brother up with many of the Protectors issues, and the Dinosaurs For Hire crossover books...and the super-surprise Ultraverse Strangers #1 Silver holo book!!!!!!!!!

You rule, my friend! I deeply, sincerely appreciate your generosity and everything!!!!!!!!!

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Those holos are so cool. Much cooler than the prices they command on eBay.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

Chiclo wrote:Those holos are so cool. Much cooler than the prices they command on eBay.
I just can't believe the amazing detail in them; it's like 3 different layers of hologram goodness!!!!

newt138
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Re: The Protectors

Post by newt138 »

I love this series. When it was coming out i bought the first 3 issues,but the artwork made me stop getting it. Well a few years ago I got the first 4 issues for free and the storyline caught my attention so I tracked down the rest of the series.

I reviewed the entire series on my blog.

http://doubletsblogofreviews.blogspot.c ... ns-01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

covers the first 10 issues

http://doubletsblogofreviews.blogspot.c ... ns-02.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Covers the rest of the series

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...
Re:

Post by leonmallett »

Chiclo wrote:

Maybe give it another try - the art improves after the first few issues and the main story started to hit a stride of sorts, until Genesis started derailing things and mixing the various teams up. Still, I really enjoy re-reading The Protectors from time to time.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

jasonahurley
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by jasonahurley »

I loved the Protectors Universe. I've got all of the issues (DM covers only) and all of the tie-ins that I feel matter (see below), and I'm planning to have the entire thing bound into two hardcovers.

IMO, the Dinosaurs for Hire issues aren't worth your time. The only issues that even vaguely tie in to the rest of the universe are the actual Genesis issues, and even those are pretty tenuous (especially the second one). Ex-Mutants really only ties in after the Genesis crossover, but does become pretty essential at that point since they trade several team members with the Protectors.

If I can find it, when I get home, I'll post my final reading/binding order if anyone's interested.

tictuck
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by tictuck »

jasonahurley wrote:I loved the Protectors Universe. I've got all of the issues (DM covers only) and all of the tie-ins that I feel matter (see below), and I'm planning to have the entire thing bound into two hardcovers.

IMO, the Dinosaurs for Hire issues aren't worth your time. The only issues that even vaguely tie in to the rest of the universe are the actual Genesis issues, and even those are pretty tenuous (especially the second one). Ex-Mutants really only ties in after the Genesis crossover, but does become pretty essential at that point since they trade several team members with the Protectors.

If I can find it, when I get home, I'll post my final reading/binding order if anyone's interested.

We are interested & please do post

jasonahurley

Post by jasonahurley »

I'll do some digging for it tonight. All of my comics are packed up after a recent move, and the only reference I have for the reading order is the order the stack of books is in.

jasonahurley

Post by jasonahurley »

This is my map of what I consider to be essential to the universe surrounding The Protectors. Rather than using absolutely everything that was branded “Genesis” after the fact, I only used books that tied pretty directly to The Protectors, and chucked the rest. I'll be binding it into two books, one pre-Genesis, one post.

Book 1

Protectors 1-4
Arrow 1
Protectors 5-6
Ferret One-Shot
Air Man 1
Protectors 7-9
Gravestone 1 (I may actually insert this issue into the middle of Protectors 9)
Man of War 1-3
Ferret 1-4
Man of War 4-8 (His Genesis crossover issues didn't actually cross over at all)
Protectors 10-12

Book 2

Ex-Mutants 11
Gravestone 2-3
Ferret 5-6
Protectors 13
Dinosaurs For Hire 8
Ex-Mutants 12
Protectors 14
Genesis 0
Ferret 7-8
Ex-Mutants 13-14
Gravestone 4-7
Protectors 15-18
Ferret 9-10
Ex-Mutants 15-18
Protectors 19-20

Please drop in with any comments or criticisms. I left out some stuff (most notably, Dinosaurs For Hire), because I didn't feel that it really effected the story of The Protectors, which is the through-line I was really trying to follow.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

I've been reading up on comic characters in the public domain, so the Protectors series has come onto my radar lately. I may be giving this series a shot soon.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

StarBrand wrote:I've been reading up on comic characters in the public domain, so the Protectors series has come onto my radar lately. I may be giving this series a shot soon.
Prepare to remember the early 90s in all the unfiltered garish glory. The characters in that comic have the most dated attire I think of any comic series I have read.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Chiclo wrote:
StarBrand wrote:I've been reading up on comic characters in the public domain, so the Protectors series has come onto my radar lately. I may be giving this series a shot soon.
Prepare to remember the early 90s in all the unfiltered garish glory. The characters in that comic have the most dated attire I think of any comic series I have read.
Apt that you say they have the "most dated attire", Chiclo. I say that and hope that memory serves me well as I think the majority of these characters from an earlier period in comic history, perhaps the WWII era (at least 1942)? The Protectors were updated public domain superheroes from Centaur Publications. I remember seeing some of these characters in some older comic books fighting against some kind of nazi-monsters and having a patriotic theme.

Here is a really nice site dedicated to a spectrum of selected books which tracks not only The Protectors back to their Golden Age roots but up to Modern Age as well.

http://www.mightycrusaders.net/mp_protectors.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately there are a good number of links that no longer work. I hope that the info formerly stored there is on someone's hard drive and not lost forever. Not that there are not other sites dedicated to these Golden Age characters but others as well. They were and are campy heroes but knowing that going into it, I think many will find them to be an endearing read even with Malibu's over the top sexuality that is rampant throughout the line.

For me, the saving grace on the Protectors books are the Direct Market covers by S. Clarke Hawbaker. I asked Tom Mason years ago, "My God man, why didn't you have S. Clarke Hawbaker draw the interiors of the books?" and he replied, "He was too slow." I think that is a bit of a shame as I would have loved to have seen The Protectors draw by Hawbaker. I definitely like his art and feel that if he were to have done the interior art, that title may have been taken more seriously then and now.

I just checked Centaur Publications ran from 1938 to 1942, putting them in business during the beginning of WWII. :thumb: So, yes their costumes are pretty dated.