A good Pokemon game for DS ???

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

I am looking to buy a Pokemon game on DS for my daughter Alyssa (ya know, for Christmas). She is VERY into Pokemon right now.... and I DON'T know why, I thought we were past all this stuff when the boys grew out of it.

So, I am wondering if there are any suggestions for a good Pokemon game on DS fit for her age (she will be 8 in December) and well, if anyone has one for sale. I'm a sucker when it comes to what my girls want... haha.

I have been looking at Pokemon HeartGold (?) as it was a recommendation from one of the gals at GameStop and looked to be a throwback to an older Pokemon game that one of my boys had for his Gameboy Advanced.

I would just go buy one at GameStop but I don't want to put down $40 or so bucks on something I am not even sure she will get into.

Thoughts ? Games for sale ?

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
Re: A good Pokemon game for DS ???

Post by Drift »

Black and White are the latest versions of the series so maybe go for one of those or as recommended, Heart Gold or Soul Silver. They are updated versions of the Gold and Silver games in the same way that Leaf Green and Fire Red were updated versions of Emerald and Ruby. The cool thing about Heart Gold and Soul Silver is they come with a "PokeWalker" which is a Pokeball shaped device with a simple LCD screen and a pedometer function that allows the wearer to upload a Pokemon from the game using the infra-red (built into the game cart and the walker so don't worry about dropping $ on more extras) and pop it on a belt so that the Pokemon "inside" levels up as you walk. You can also battle other Pokemon on the walker and pick up items for use in the main DS game.

If you are looking for a cheaper option, Pearl and Diamond were the last generation Pokemon games so you should find them for a bit less but not by much as Pokemon is still such a massive franchise.

Current - Black and White
Cheaper option - Pearl and Diamond
Something a bit more special - Heart Gold and Soul Silver

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

Drift is spot on for the main Pokemon games. Black and White are where its at.

Also check out the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon franchise of games, they didn't hook me but my little sister loves them, they are more of an adventure game than the catch em all style of the coloured games and good for young 'uns.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Geez Louise, I could have sworn Pokemon died out about 8-10 years ago when I stopped seeing the darned cartoons on TV and fewer toys on the shelf. Now looking into it further I see it has lived to what appear Cult like proportions.

Didn't Pikachu turn into a demi-god and just about consume the sun at one point ? If I remember correctly, he was brain washed by Mastermi..... wwwwwaaaaaaitaminute, no I am thinking Marvel Comics again. :oops:

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

M boys are playing Black and White versions right now. These are nearly the same game with just a few differences.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

pokemon stuff is on a upswing for a year now any pokemon game ive got has been 15 or more on the classics ive sold 1000s of cards and its been selling better as the year has progressed as yu gi ho has died down

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I picked up Pokemon HeartGold for Alyssa, complete with Pokewalker for $26 shipped. Pretty psyched and so is she because I couldn't wait til her birthday to tell her. Don't have it yet but it will get here before then.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

superman-prime wrote:pokemon stuff is on a upswing for a year now any pokemon game ive got has been 15 or more on the classics ive sold 1000s of cards and its been selling better as the year has progressed as yu gi ho has died down
Do you have any cards left for sale ?

I took her to the LCS and picked up about 200 (gotta be commons) cards at $.01 cent a piece but I could always add more. Not that I know the difference between any of them, she just likes the pictures and likes them to have high power points or something, not that she knows anything about the cards or how to play the card game. I am kinda pleased that she is getting into this.

But if you have any left for sale, depending on what they are (because I can't see spending money on something she is just going to put in a binder or cardbox), I would like to get her some new cards. The auctions on ebay are over 110K auctions in number. I just can't wade through that...

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

if i ever get a huge amount of commons ill hook ya up i do 10 for a buck and run out every month net time i get a big lot ill see what i can do

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

:thumb:

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Gave Pokemon Heartgold to Alyssa for her birthday yesterday and she LOVES it. I am stoked that I got it for her AND for so cheap !!

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Awesome, the poke walker thing looks cool. Although I don't think I could get away with one on my belt in work... :lol:

Drift

Post by Drift »

ian_house wrote:Awesome, the poke walker thing looks cool. Although I don't think I could get away with one on my belt in work... :lol:
Wear it inside your belt. Problem solved.