OUR Questions for Valiant's Warren Simons - WARREN ANSWERS

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor
Re: OUR Questions for Warren Simons

Post by Warren Simons »

ian_house wrote:New Valiant... got goat?

Ian,

More info soon!

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

Draco wrote:Hi Warren, in a world where inter company crossovers are more easily achieved, any crossover using the characters Valiant own would be exciting news IMO.
I'm guessing it's a no brainer that you guys have considered this. If so, how far down the line would you consider this option and are there any publisher names that stand out as having great potential to do business with?

Cheers

:thumb:

Hey Draco,

I would love to see an inter company crossover down the line. Right now we are focused on restoring the prominence of the Valiant Universe. But I think we’re working in an industry that is brimming with incredibly amazing properties at many different companies. This would not be in the near future, though.

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

dino wrote:Warren, which Valiant character are you most like and why?

Hey Dino,

Love the quote under your name ;)

I would say that I am most like Bloodshot, because I have a loaded gun on me at all times. Please keep that in mind during out next conversation about scheduling.

Thanks.

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

depluto wrote:
dino wrote:Warren, which Valiant character are you most like and why?
:clap:

An older Pete Stanchek?

Hey depluto,

Or a younger Armstrong ;)

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

greg wrote:Warren - how can we help?

Hey Greg, THANKS so much for hosting the q & a. And cash bribes are always welcome

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

BruceReville wrote:
Warren Simons wrote:
BruceReville wrote:

According to a previous interview it will be a New Valiant Universe - I posted a link to this interview so we can come up with some new questions and not just rehash ones already asked.

I want to know if Acclaim character Joshua Fireseed can be used in the new Valiant as he is not a Gold Key character. :hm:
Hey, Bruce, thank you for the assist with the previous question. While Joshua Fireseed is indeed a great character, we are currently concentrating on the big guns in the Valiant Universe.
Totally understand concentrating on the big characters first, but will there ever be a chance of him appearing ever or is there a legal matter with this character and he will never appear?

Hey Bruce,

I don’t want to get into any particulars about which characters we are using until we solicit the titles. Thanks for your patience.

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor
Re: OUR Questions for Warren Simons - WARREN ANSWERS

Post by Warren Simons »

Heath wrote:Warren, are you going to ignore the radical fringe element of the Valiant fanbase that thinks there is anything redeeming/appealing with the Acclaim version of the Shadowman character and do what any sane person would do and offer that book back to Bob Hall?

Ok, so maybe I'm a little biased regarding Shadowman and Bob Hall's run on the book (which is my all-time favorite run of a comic book series). :lol: But I guess I can rephrase my question to something you might can hopefully answer...

Will any of the old Valiant talent be brought back in to work on the new Valiant?

And a totally different question: Are you focusing totally on existing characters, or are there any plans for new, original Valiant heroes/villains?

Hi Heath,

Thanks for your question. I have reached out to a number of the Valiant creators from years gone by. Some will be contributing. Others, who I’d love to have on board, are currently concentrating on other work. And while we are focused primarily on the original existing characters, there are indeed plans for new heroes and villains in the works.

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor

Post by Warren Simons »

caxiotis wrote:
greg wrote:Warren - how can we help?
So far my favorite questioN

I like this one as well ;)

Warren Simons
Valiant Executive Editor
Valiant Executive Editor
Re: OUR Questions for Warren Simons - WARREN ANSWERS

Post by Warren Simons »

jedimarley wrote:Warren.

In this tough economical time that we are in and with the majority of us on tight comic book budgets, what steps are you and VEI taking to make your comics affordable to the mass? With comics at $3-$4 an issue, it will be hard to justify dropping a title I already buy in favor of yours. I, for one, am very selective on what I purchase each month. I'm very happy with the books that I collect and also very loyal to the titles.

Some people use a discount mail order service. But to me that's not fair to the LCBS owner.
Some people will download them at a lower price. But again, that hurts the LCBS owner.

Your thoughts?

Hey jedimarley,

I happen to be a big fan of both Jedis and Bob Marley myself. I’m not sure if you’ve heard The Wailers live from The Record Plant in Sausalito – think it was 1973 – but it is a 5-star record if ever there was one. Check it out if you have the time. It’s a real gem.

Regarding your points, we are excited about the return of Valiant. We think everyone on the boards is really jazzed up to see what we’ll do, and I hope you won’t miss out. It’s obviously a very competitive economy and a very aggressive industry, and we know our consumers demand excellence. There were many, many nights when I was the last one out the door at Marvel Editorial because I wanted to make sure that the books were absolutely, positively as good as they could be before they left house. Some of the guys and gals in the Bullpen may have wanted to kill me ;) but I put everything into my work as an editor. I’m currently in 24/7 mode at Valiant, and hope that this effort translates to the quality of the titles.

My goal with Valiant, simply, is to work with the terrific roster of freelancers to create the best books in the industry. Work that’s so compelling that it can’t be missed. But ultimately, only you can determine what you want to spend your hard earned money on. As for the LCBS, I think our retail partners are the backbone of the industry. I’ve shopped at local comic book stores for more than three decades now. I’m not sure if anyone in the industry can predict how downloads and the presence of comics in national chain stores will change things, but I’d encourage you to support your local retailer. Thanks for the great questions!

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Warren Simons wrote:But I think the plans we have for Rai will be quite… controversial. He is an amazing character. I love the idea driving him. This is the one that might break the Valiant Message Board directly in half.
Let me guess... the new Rai will be a half-black, half-hispanic teenage girl named Railey Morales. :P

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

greg wrote:
Warren Simons wrote:But I think the plans we have for Rai will be quite… controversial. He is an amazing character. I love the idea driving him. This is the one that might break the Valiant Message Board directly in half.
Let me guess... the new Rai will be a half-black, half-hispanic teenage girl named Railey Morales. :P
:o How The Heck Did You Know?! --- In fact Rai will be a hermaphrodite dealing with their sexual tendencies not knowing where they belong. Issue #1 begins with Rai standing in front of a Men's & Women's restroom a struggling this epic dilemma everyone else takes for granted.
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

cplsimon
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by cplsimon »

BruceReville wrote:
greg wrote:
:o How The Heck Did You Know?! --- In fact Rai will be a hermaphrodite dealing with their sexual tendencies not knowing where they belong. Issue #1 begins with Rai standing in front of a Men's & Women's restroom a struggling this epic dilemma everyone else takes for granted.
You got it all wrong Rai will now be called Nio.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Re: OUR Questions for Valiant's Warren Simons - WARREN ANSWE

Post by kevinbastos »

Warren - Thanks for taking the time to reply. When announcements come out, I will be at ye olde comic book shop putting in the new pull list.

Please let us know how we can help. We are getting more stoked every day.

Thanks!
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

BruceReville wrote:
greg wrote:

Ha! That sounds like an issue of Q&W!!!

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

cplsimon wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
greg wrote:
You got it all wrong Rai will now be called Nio.

Ugh...don't even joke like that....

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

IanAlexavier wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
greg wrote:

My thoughts as well.... :lol:

In this issue he/she Rai eventually walks into the men's room...but can't decide whether to use the urinal or the stall. In a stunning moment of compromise Rai decides on the sink...
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

hulk181man wrote:
IanAlexavier wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
greg wrote:

My thoughts as well.... :lol:

In this issue he/she Rai eventually walks into the men's room...but can't decide whether to use the urinal or the stall. In a stunning moment of compromise Rai decides on the sink...
ah, but to sit on the sink or stand???? That's the question
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

etos45
I live to be inefficient!

Post by etos45 »

greg wrote:
I'm actually pretty excited over the concept of a revamped Rai. I'm hoping part of the revamp is to adjust the time period he's in (I mean, is there really any point in being in the 4k anymore?).

...and I think it's better if he were 1/4 black, 1/4 hispanic, 2/8 Japanese, and 4/16 robot. Make him/her a hermaphrodite, pre-teen, Beiberite dealing with all the pressures that our mixed-race, robot, hermaphrodite children really deal with in today's non-politically-correct world. This could be the real eye opener that society needs to fix our oppressive policies... whew... or he could just be a talking rabbit with a goat side-kick... y'know.. whatever... :D

(I think VEI needs to hire me as their head writer) :hope:

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

etos45 wrote:
greg wrote:
I'm actually pretty excited over the concept of a revamped Rai. I'm hoping part of the revamp is to adjust the time period he's in (I mean, is there really any point in being in the 4k anymore?).

...and I think it's better if he were 1/4 black, 1/4 hispanic, 2/8 Japanese, and 4/16 robot. Make him/her a hermaphrodite, pre-teen, Beiberite dealing with all the pressures that our mixed-race, robot, hermaphrodite children really deal with in today's non-politically-correct world. This could be the real eye opener that society needs to fix our oppressive policies... whew... or he could just be a talking rabbit with a goat side-kick... y'know.. whatever... :D

Oh I see it ---- got something against white people? Not one drop of white in your new Rai I see.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

BruceReville wrote:
etos45 wrote:
greg wrote:

Oh I see it ---- got something against white people? Not one drop of white in your new Rai I see.
Well, I mean, his skin is white... just not his ethnicity. I mean, he's from JAPAN! Now sir, that just doesn't make any sense! :P

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

etos45 wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
etos45 wrote:
greg wrote:

Well, I mean, his skin is white... just not his ethnicity. I mean, he's from JAPAN! Now sir, that just doesn't make any sense! :P
So he is a white skinned - Black Hispanic Asian with robotics and dual genitalia?

Ok I can live with that, but why no love for the Arabic people? :?

etos45

Post by etos45 »

BruceReville wrote:
So he is a white skinned - Black Hispanic Asian with robotics and dual genitalia?

Ok I can live with that, but why no love for the Arabic people? :?
Hmm... Arabic? I don't think the world is ready for that yet... :hm:

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

I'm excited about a Rai revamp that might bring him to modern time too. But what would that do to the relationship with Bloodshot? Would that mean a revamp to Bloodshot as well?

I could understand the hardcore Rai fans being upset about any major revamp. I know I'd be upset with a Shadowman revamp. The character was perfect as he was.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

Guys - please don't derail the thread. I want Warren to keep posting responses to our questions
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

caxiotis wrote:Guys - please don't derail the thread. I want Warren to keep posting responses to our questions

DJ already asked once.

:roll:

:wink:
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;