What series or runs haven't you read that you want to

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Jersen
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Re: What series or runs haven't you read that you want to

Post by Jersen »

One series run that I don't own but would really like to obtain and read is Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol. Actually, I'd like to have that entire Doom Patrol series, but especially the Morrison run, as I've been slowly completing a collection of Morrison's mainstream DC titles (yes, I know DP is a Vertigo title, but much like Swamp Thing and Animal Man, I regard them as mainstream DC characters). I was inspired by a CBR article a couple years back that discussed Morrison's particular Superman continuity and thought that the idea expanded conveniently into a Morrison-centered overall DC continuity. I believe that Doom Patrol is the last major piece that I am missing, and then I can start a major reading project of taking on Morrison's DC Universe.

I think there are definitely other writers that this approach would be very appropriate for, like perhaps Bendis' Marvel Universe, or Johns' DCU.

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

I read Morrison's Doom Patrol earlier this year and enjoyed most of it quite a bit. Read his Animal Man and was kind of Eh about it. But Doom Patrol I would definitely read again. It was crazy enough to be fun, but not quite Invisibles crazy. And more humor than Animal Man, imo.
This post has been carefully constructed so as to add absolutely nothing to any discussion or topic.

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

Last edited by robb77 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Jersen wrote: Now that I'm using DCBS for getting new books, I've been saving alot of money and keeping up with things much better now. Glamourpuss is the only book that I can't seem to find on their site, though. I don't think it's distributed through Diamond, so that may be why I can't find it on their site. I've been ordering it as back issues on MyComicShop.com, but would like to get them as they are released. Does anybody know if Glamourpuss is available through DCBS and I'm just missing it?
I used to buy it through DCBS. It's listed in the "other comics" section, then if you use the publisher drop down menu, you will see Aardvark-Vanaheim if a new issue is available for pre-order. On the current order form for DCBS, it is not there, which likely means this is the off-month for Glamourpuss as it is a bi-monthly title.

Jersen

Post by Jersen »

Brother J wrote:
Jersen wrote: Now that I'm using DCBS for getting new books, I've been saving alot of money and keeping up with things much better now. Glamourpuss is the only book that I can't seem to find on their site, though. I don't think it's distributed through Diamond, so that may be why I can't find it on their site. I've been ordering it as back issues on MyComicShop.com, but would like to get them as they are released. Does anybody know if Glamourpuss is available through DCBS and I'm just missing it?
I used to buy it through DCBS. It's listed in the "other comics" section, then if you use the publisher drop down menu, you will see Aardvark-Vanaheim if a new issue is available for pre-order. On the current order form for DCBS, it is not there, which likely means this is the off-month for Glamourpuss as it is a bi-monthly title.
OK, that's what I've been checking and I've never seen Aardvark-Vanaheim listed there. I thought I was checking every month, but maybe I missed it. When the new stuff comes up in November I'll check it again. Thanks for the heads up!

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Brother J wrote:
Ok, what is the big deal about Glamourpuss?

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

robb77 wrote:just started on preacher. I have already read issue 1-7 and am a quarter of the way through the saint killer tpb. So far it is a pretty good read, a bit mad at times but not a bad read.
I enjoyed Preacher. Probably in the minority in these parts, but while it wasn't perfect, I think it was never less than entertaining if only because GE wrote some wicked insane segements.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

xodacia81 wrote:
robb77 wrote:just started on preacher. I have already read issue 1-7 and am a quarter of the way through the saint killer tpb. So far it is a pretty good read, a bit mad at times but not a bad read.
I enjoyed Preacher. Probably in the minority in these parts, but while it wasn't perfect, I think it was never less than entertaining if only because GE wrote some wicked insane segements.
'Go F yourself' :wink: That line was horrifying yet humorous at the same time....enjoyed Preacher but thought it got weaker as it went on.
"Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts...?"

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

xodacia81 wrote:
Brother J wrote:
not really any kind of big deal, as the miniscule print run on the book might attest to. It's probably only of interest to those who were fans of Cerebus and Dave Sim and just want to follow whatever it is he's doing currently. Story-wise, it's unusual in that it's a parody of fashion magazines and the fashion industry, combined with a history of photo-realistic comic art and artists. I think Sim just wanted to draw pretty ladies after years of drawing a gray aardvark. :P

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

hulk181man wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
'Go F yourself' :wink: That line was horrifying yet humorous at the same time....enjoyed Preacher but thought it got weaker as it went on.
Yes, although the part with the meat factory...I will never forget it. Oh, and Starr was quite the character from start to finish.

Drift
...and I am a Valiantoholic.
...and I am a Valiantoholic.

Post by Drift »

My sister is reading Preacher at the moment. She is up to vol. 8. My dad has just finished the series. They both love it and neither is a big comic reader.

Sure it got weaker but when you start that strong, how can it not? Also while the end was a bit poor, it was the only logical way to do it when you think about it.

As for series I want to read; I have L.E.G.I.O.N., R.E.B.E.L.S. and The Legion sat in a box, ready to go. Just killing of a few random minis before I hit those bad boys up.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

xodacia81 wrote:
I quite enjoyed the parts I've read...at some point will pick up the rest of the tpb's
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Jersen

Post by Jersen »

Brother J wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Brother J wrote:
not really any kind of big deal, as the miniscule print run on the book might attest to. It's probably only of interest to those who were fans of Cerebus and Dave Sim and just want to follow whatever it is he's doing currently. Story-wise, it's unusual in that it's a parody of fashion magazines and the fashion industry, combined with a history of photo-realistic comic art and artists. I think Sim just wanted to draw pretty ladies after years of drawing a gray aardvark. :P
Yeah, it's not like it's the best thing I've ever read or a revelation or anything. However, I do think it's an interesting art study that combines Sim sharing history and research on photo-referenced/realistic cartooning along with him exemplifying putting those techniques into practice.

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

I have a stack of Morrison's Doom Patrol run i've been meaning to tackle and New X-Men.