Gold Key characters in 2012 thread

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Gold Key characters in 2012 thread

Post by StarBrand »

There's a bit of talk about the Gold Key characters returning to Dark Horse in 2012. Please post in this thread any info or discussion about that possibility. Thanks.
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Re: Gold Key characters in 2012 thread

Post by BruceReville »

Only thing I have seen online is that the Archive Editions will be continuing in 2012, but no new stories forthcoming. :(
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

BruceReville wrote:Only thing I have seen online is that the Archive Editions will be continuing in 2012, but no new stories forthcoming. :(
There are rumblings of new stories in 2012 without big Jim.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:Only thing I have seen online is that the Archive Editions will be continuing in 2012, but no new stories forthcoming. :(
From where? I searched online - Dark Horse forums - Dark Key forums - Bleeding Cool and other sites. :?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
From where? I searched online - Dark Horse forums - Dark Key forums - Bleeding Cool and other sites. :?
I don't nescessarily want to quote other boards here, so I'll send you a link. I was hoping as time goes along we could maybe gather info here, if anything comes up.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
I don't nescessarily want to quote other boards here, so I'll send you a link. I was hoping as time goes along we could maybe gather info here, if anything comes up.
I would love to hear positive news on this, but DH's handling of the line the first time regardless of who was handling what was pretty atrocious. So unless they correct the mistakes over the last year + then it would be better for the characters if Dark Horse just loses the license go and someone else has a try at it.

Sting
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by Sting »

Such a shame , I had a great revamped enthusiasm going into this DH relaunch that I've not had for comics since the mid 90's.
Solar, Magnus and Turok monthly! Jim Shooter is writing! I was in! ...

Sadly we are back to hoping something will resurface in the future again and probably not as good.

:rant:

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
Why not? People post information from other boards all the time. If you want to gather information and you're the only one who's found any, it would probably be a good idea to post it, but if not, please shoot me the link too. All I've heard is idle fan speculation which has been going on for months (probably about a year at this point) in that direction, which doesn't sound very realistic. Shooter posted he's been unemployed for awhile on his blog and Chris Warner's only response to an email inquery I sent Dark Horse a couple weeks ago asking if any more new Gold Key comcs were coming was "All I've been told that I can say is "Watch for future announcements."" which is what he's been saying for months and months. If they had any new projects they were seriously considering with the character I think they'd probably mention it by now.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I'm not saying this is a lock, but it sounds fairly promising. Just read the entire thread.

http://dark-key.com/forum/index.php?topic=740.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Second_Death
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Second_Death »

It does appear that DH intends to publish more DK books. Unless some of the material to be published was part of the final scripts that Jim turned over some months ago, it doesn't appear the new books will feature his contributions.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

StarBrand wrote:I'm not saying this is a lock, but it sounds fairly promising. Just read the entire thread.

http://dark-key.com/forum/index.php?topic=740.0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for posting. Would've loved to have heard that conversation with Allie. Sounds like another "stay tuned for future announcements" thing like Warner keeps saying. I guess we'll see. It doesn't make any sense to me. I can't imagine why they'd not want to use the covers and plans already have for the next plotlines, dump the writer they had who at least has some name recognition, and dump the stories current readers have already invested quite a bit of money to follow. The problem with the line was that weren't getting the damn books out. Put out some comics, we'll buy them. Give fans some comics to read and they'll talk about them, instead of rumors and speculation over cancelations and firings. That's how you build a readership. It's not that hard. :!:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Todd Luck wrote:
StarBrand wrote:I'm not saying this is a lock, but it sounds fairly promising. Just read the entire thread.

Thanks for posting. Would've loved to have heard that conversation with Allie. Sounds like another "stay tuned for future announcements" thing like Warner keeps saying. I guess we'll see. It doesn't make any sense to me. I can't imagine why they'd not want to use the covers and plans already have for the next plotlines, dump the writer they had who at least has some name recognition, and dump the stories current readers have already invested quite a bit of money to follow. The problem with the line was that weren't getting the damn books out. Put out some comics, we'll buy them. Give fans some comics to read and they'll talk about them, instead of rumors and speculation over cancelations and firings. That's how you build a readership. It's not that hard. :!:
I think unreliable creators may be the bane of these smaller publishers. When the creators don't follow through with work they've agreed to do in the timeframe they're supposed to, it gets to the point it's difficult for the smaller publisher to even come out and talk about their future plans.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

StarBrand wrote:
Todd Luck wrote:

I think unreliable creators may be the bane of these smaller publishers. When the creators don't follow through with work they've agreed to do in the timeframe they're supposed to, it gets to the point it's difficult for the smaller publisher to even come out and talk about their future plans.
I gotta say - one of the biggest problems I had with comics was it always seemed like there was a 'two-party' system - even in comics. If I collected Marvel, I stayed away from DC - and vice-versa. Except for the few huge awakenings - (Valiant, of course... for about three years) it seemed like smaller guys didn't survive. Even if there was SOME success - like Dark Horse - it couldn't sustain it - or keep publishing.

Why am I a bit optimistic about Valiant? It seems like they are planning WAY in advance. If publishing won't begin until next year, we're talking about ten months in advance... :drool:
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

Second_Death

Post by Second_Death »

I think with the capital VEI seems to have secured, as long as the product is good and timely (let's hope the boys realize how important it is to have the first story arcs completed before the first issues are released), the opportunity is there for them to succeed.

Second_Death

Post by Second_Death »

Back on topic.............

Seems to me the primary reason that DH is planning to move forward without Jim is the expected print runs of new books simply won't afford them the $'s to pay him for his services. Hopefully DH has a change of heart. At the very least, perhaps DH will consider engaging him to spearhead a single title as apposed to several. Would love to see Jim write a character like Dr Spektor but that isn't likely to happen since DH is publishing the Occultist.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Second_Death wrote:I think with the capital VEI seems to have secured, as long as the product is good and timely (let's hope the boys realize how important it is to have the first story arcs completed before the first issues are released), the opportunity is there for them to succeed.
I heard or read somewhere VEI will have their first arcs finished before releasing their first issues. Can anyone confirm that?

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Second_Death wrote:Back on topic.............

Seems to me the primary reason that DH is planning to move forward without Jim is the expected print runs of new books simply won't afford them the $'s to pay him for his services. Hopefully DH has a change of heart. At the very least, perhaps DH will consider engaging him to spearhead a single title as apposed to several. Would love to see Jim write a character like Dr Spektor but that isn't likely to happen since DH is publishing the Occultist.

If they relaunch this line and it goes for beyond a few years, I think we'll see Dr Spektor too. Just a hunch, though. Maybe they'll be able to use those Dr Spektor covers they've seemingly already paid for. I did confirm with the artist's associate those were done for Dark Horse.

Second_Death

Post by Second_Death »

StarBrand wrote:

If they relaunch this line and it goes for beyond a few years, I think we'll see Dr Spektor too. Just a hunch, though. Maybe they'll be able to use those Dr Spektor covers they've seemingly already paid for. I did confirm with the artist's associate those were done for Dark Horse.
Interesting. So this was a go. Perhaps we will know eventually if the finished scripts Jim turned into DH included anything for Dr Spektor.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Second_Death wrote:
StarBrand wrote:

Interesting. So this was a go. Perhaps we will know eventually if the finished scripts Jim turned into DH included anything for Dr Spektor.
:thumb:

iwantvaliant
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by iwantvaliant »

I'd keep reading if they published more books.
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

Ross2
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Ross2 »

I missed this whole Dark Horse Gold Key relaunch. Were they interconnected? Were they worth reading?

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

Opinions are varied. If anything, you can find them relatively cheaply.
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition, I'm right.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Ross2 wrote:I missed this whole Dark Horse Gold Key relaunch. Were they interconnected? Were they worth reading?
They weren't connected at all. 3 Individual stories.

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

Ross2 wrote:I missed this whole Dark Horse Gold Key relaunch. Were they interconnected? Were they worth reading?
SOLAR I thought was excellent. Turok started GREAT, and finished terribly - I couldn't get past the art. Magnus was fair, but got worse. I thought Samson was terribly cheesy. Suited to an episode of Land of the Lost. The Occultist was just BARELY connected to Dark Key, and was fair.

The covers, though, are breathtaking.

There was also a free comic book day issue in 2010 (plus a limited variant), and an Overstreet update with covers from Dark Key.

All books had a limited variant of the first issue, (Occultist had two number ones and a variant for each), and SOLAR also had a San Diego Comiccon variant.

Shooter was involved, but I wouldn't put it in his top efforts. Worth picking up, in my HUMBLE opinion, but don't get onto the completion phase like me. You'll be buying multiple copies of Dark Horse Presents forever...
And a Website!

In addition, I'm right.

Ross2

Post by Ross2 »

Very helpful thanks!