North Carolina Comic Shop To Boycott Action Comics

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator
North Carolina Comic Shop To Boycott Action Comics

Post by ian_house »

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/08/ ... on-comics/

Gotta be honest I read it as a grunt... this dude seems a little highly strung.

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham
Re: North Carolina Comic Shop To Boycott Action Comics

Post by 400yrs »

I don't think a boycott is necessary, but GD is pushing it. Grant morrison is seeing what he can get away with by doing that. The shop is trying to make sure the answer to that isn't that he can do "anything". A "damn" or "dammit" would've been adequate. To bring God into it is just pushing the envelop in ways that it doesn't need to be pushed.
Last edited by 400yrs on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:40:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASM Crossover Home

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

posto doble.
ASM Crossover Home

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Good for him. Probably not the decision I'd make personally, but I would much rather see someone sacrifice business for the sake of their values than sacrifice their values for the sake of their business.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

I dont get it?
I trade as Dead Universe Comics in the UK, which is no surprise to those who know of my legendary Dead Universe habit.
140 boxes and counting !!!

Follow us on facebook :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dead-Uni ... 1695270458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

Ok his christian values are getting the better of him because of GD. Not God D*mn, but GD. And not really because of that as he could see other characters saying it and be ok with it, but not Superman. Now if GD does mean God D*mn then with his christian values it should be offensive all the time and not acceptable any of the time regardless of character.

Selective Faith - either you believe with them all the time or they will sometimes side with you aside from their faith because whatever it is, is cool.
Everybody Is Right Until Someone Else Disagrees.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

He's probably one of those religious guys who takes Superman as a Jesus metaphor. What's funny is Morrison likely wasn't having the "GD" stand for "*SQUEE*," but rather as a grunting noise from being hit.

Regardless, I don't like the risque approach to Superman Morrison is going for. It would be one thing if this was an Elseworlds........But, even if the comic owner's suspicions are correct, putting a ban on all of Morrison's writings is a bit much.

I like how he made an issue with the gay characters thing in comics, btw. lol.......It was all boiling up inside, and Supes saying "GD" was the last straw.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Savant wrote:He's probably one of those religious guys who takes Superman as a Jesus metaphor. What's funny is Morrison likely wasn't having the "GD" stand for "*SQUEE*," but rather as a grunting noise from being hit.

Regardless, I don't like the risque approach to Superman Morrison is going for. It would be one thing if this was an Elseworlds........But, even if the comic owner's suspicions are correct, putting a ban on all of Morrison's writings is a bit much.

I like how he made an issue with the gay characters thing in comics, btw. lol.......It was all boiling up inside, and Supes saying "GD" was the last straw.
Actually he said he had no problem with gay characters in comics and the two comics he did mention are extreme over the top violence - including one that has a child molesting father in it, and he had no problem with those either.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

I didnt even think of anything but a grunt when I read this part of the issue. I agree that Supes wouldn't say g*d d*mn (or curse at all), but this guys reaction is ridiculous.
Pull List: I only buy TPB's, HC's and Hellboy comics

Savant

Post by Savant »

BruceReville wrote:
Savant wrote:He's probably one of those religious guys who takes Superman as a Jesus metaphor. What's funny is Morrison likely wasn't having the "GD" stand for "*SQUEE*," but rather as a grunting noise from being hit.

Actually he said he had no problem with gay characters in comics and the two comics he did mention are extreme over the top violence - including one that has a child molesting father in it, and he had no problem with those either.

He didn't say he has no problem with gay characters. He said he "accepted" it, immediately followed with, "I however am getting very tired of having comic writer’s liberal agendas force fed to me."

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Savant wrote:
BruceReville wrote:

He didn't say he has no problem with gay characters. He said he "accepted" it, immediately followed with, "I however am getting very tired of having comic writer’s liberal agendas force fed to me."
If you accept something then you have no problem with it -- either way I think his selective christianity is a farce and only there when it is convient for him.
Last edited by BruceReville on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:08:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Does he still sell X-Men?

Wolverine's cameo in the First Class movie wasn't exactly the most Christian thing ever uttered... and he didn't just use the initials.

OmenSpirits.com

Post by OmenSpirits.com »

My post didn't show? :hm:
Last edited by OmenSpirits.com on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:05:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

I haven't been to Comic Conspiracy in years. It's a good shop that's always been run by folks who are in it for the love of comics and will cut you a good deal. Been pretty much the only comic shop in Randolph County since it opened in 1978 (!). The guy who used to run it was an immensley talented inker (whose done a ton of published comics) and a huge longtime Superman fan, who is now a preacher. The guy who is listed as the owner now, I don't know him as well, but I've seen him at the shop on and off for years and he's a great guy too.

Are they overreacting? Absolutely. But don't judge people you don't know over a little thing like this. I can assure you it's a comic shop like any other. Nintey percent of the conversations that go on in there are about comics and how your job/life is going just like any other shop. They'll order for you just about anything you want just like any other shop. If they've ever done anything like this before I'm not aware of it (though it wouldn't surprise if it may have happened at some point, afterall Savage Dragon did have God himself appear on panel and saying "Don't f*** with God!")

Someone with authority there read the issue, took that one panel a certain way, got offended and decided not to order one book out of 500 comics published every month. Is it silly? Sure. Is it a big deal? Not really. I've got a long list of comics I haven't been able to get from various comic shops I've ordered them from over the years for a lot less reason than this (hell, usually no reason) so it doesn't seem that unusual to me (mom and pop stores order what they want).

And I would be very, very shocked in this case if a customer doesn't talk some sense into the owner and he starts honoring their orders on Action Comics in a few months.

Savant

Post by Savant »

BruceReville wrote:
Savant wrote:
BruceReville wrote:

If you accept something then you have no problem with it -- either way I think his selective christianity is a farce and only there when it is convient for him.

No, accepting something isn't the same as having no problem with it. It simply means he let it slide, much like he has let other things slide in comics he doesn't agree with.

Unless, of course, you're trying to claim he has no problem with child molesting fathers.

But, you must be right. Someone with enough of a religious slant to boycott Action Comics for that one blurb (Which may not even be what he thinks it means) would certainly have no problem with homosexuality. After all, Christianity, as a whole, is known for embracing homosexuality with open arms.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Savant wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Savant wrote:
BruceReville wrote:

No, accepting something isn't the same as having no problem with it. It simply means he let it slide, much like he has let other things slide in comics he doesn't agree with.

Unless, of course, you're trying to claim he has no problem with child molesting fathers.

But, you must be right. Someone with enough of a religious slant to boycott Action Comics for that one blurb (Which may not even be what he thinks it means) would certainly have no problem with homosexuality. After all, Christianity, as a whole, is known for embracing homosexuality with open arms.
I thought we embraced the homosexuals but not the homosexuality?

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

Savant wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Savant wrote:
BruceReville wrote:

My biggest issue over the whole thing is that christian values are slapped in the face because Superman said GD, but it is ok if Green Lantern or Green Arrow said it. I guess if they say it then it is a pat on the back for christian values. It is just pulling the C-Card when it best benefits a point someone is trying to make and for no other reason. If it is wrong for one, it is wrong for all - you don't get to pick n choose when or what from the word of God when it is convenient.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

greg wrote:Does he still sell X-Men?

Wolverine's cameo in the First Class movie wasn't exactly the most Christian thing ever uttered... and he didn't just use the initials.
I haven't been there in years but my guess is "yes" they have X-Men on the shelf since the movie doesn't have anything to do with the comic(s), and according the the aticle linked to at the beginning of the post, they were offended cause it was Superman and another character for wouldn't have gotten that reaction. Also, they aren't refusing to sell Superman, all comics with Superman in it or backissues of Action Comics since they have nothing to do with the issue that offended them. They were offended by the current writer on the current series of Action Comics and that's what they're refusing to order. That's it. Like I said in my previous post, this is really unusual for them and I've never seen them do anything like this. It'd shock me if they haven't changed their mind and aren't filling their customers orders of Action Comics in a few months.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

Off-specific subject, but God-related...

Have any of you read Savage Dragon issue 31 before? The "God vs. the Devil" issue? There was this full page splash that I remember people making a big stink about years back. Personally, I found it kind of cool.

To not break any profanity rules, I couldn't find the censored version of the page, but if you use Google Images and type "don't f with God Savage Dragon" you'll find it :)
The "Unity Suite" ... in progress ...

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Savant wrote:What's funny is Morrison likely wasn't having the "GD" stand for "*SQUEE*," but rather as a grunting noise from being hit.
After thinking about it, I think you're 100% right.

I think there's a 0% chance it was anything other than a sound someone makes when they get hit because...

1) In comics, you don't have a character say abbreviations that aren't words themselves (like SHIELD or AIM) unless they're literally saying each letter of the abbreviation separately (like FBI and NSA).

2) Or if it's a series of letter that's not a word and not an abbreviation, then it's a sound a character is making (like kik, zzz, hm, and nnngh).

3) If a character curses in a comic and the creator doesn't want to show the word itself, they either partly or completely mark out the word or replace it with symbols (like @%&$ and $%#@kers). They don't abbreviate it (I've never seen MF or GD used that way in a comic).

4) And if you say "g" and "d" real low, real fast together in one sylable in one breath it makes the exact sound someone who's been hit or is experiencing sudden paid would make (which is exactly what happening in that panel).

It's just a simple case of someone misreading a panel (which judging from the reation online wasn't hard to do) and overreacting. I'll email the shop and let them know. Hopefully they'll think about it and reverse their decision.

cplsimon

Post by cplsimon »

Todd Luck wrote:
Savant wrote:What's funny is Morrison likely wasn't having the "GD" stand for "*SQUEE*," but rather as a grunting noise from being hit.
After thinking about it, I think you're 100% right.

I think there's a 0% chance it was anything other than a sound someone makes when they get hit because...

1) In comics, you don't have a character say abbreviations that aren't words themselves (like SHIELD or AIM) unless they're literally saying each letter of the abbreviation separately (like FBI and NSA).

2) Or if it's a series of letter that's not a word and not an abbreviation, then it's a sound a character is making (like kik, zzz, hm, and nnngh).

3) If a character curses in a comic and the creator doesn't want to show the word itself, they either partly or completely mark out the word or replace it with symbols (like @%&$ and $%#@kers). They don't abbreviate it (I've never seen MF or GD used that way in a comic).

4) And if you say "g" and "d" real low, real fast together in one sylable in one breath it makes the exact sound someone who's been hit or is experiencing sudden paid would make (which is exactly what happening in that panel).

It's just a simple case of someone misreading a panel (which judging from the reation online wasn't hard to do) and overreacting. I'll email the shop and let them know. Hopefully they'll think about it and reverse their decision.
Haha *SQUEE* that's funny

Savant

Post by Savant »

Let's all hold hands and rejoice!!!!!

Morrison made a statement on the DC website:

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/09/09 ... ntroversy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“It should go without saying that the offending panel and caption, a mere ‘GD’, is a sound effect grunt – to suggest Superman’s breath being forced through gritted teeth – much like ‘DHH’, ‘GNUHH’ or the many others used throughout this book and in general in the comics business. It’s not in any way representative of God or a curse.”

And the owner of The Comic Conspiracy responded:

"Thank you Grant Morrison. The boycott is lifted. Once again my apologies to Grant for the unwarranted name calling. Thank you to those who supported my stance. To those who didn’t… I respect your opinions. To those who only posted to bash Christians and people with opinions different from yours… grow up and get a life."

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Savant beat me to the punch on Grant Morrison pointing out to them that they misread the panel and their WILL BE NO BOYCOTT. Told you they'd change their mind.

The owner was getting trolled like crazy on facebook (probably in other places too) so I don't blame him for telling them to get a life. I'm glad the silliness is cleared up so the costumers can get their Action Comics. I have no idea how just a comic shop owner misreading something and doing something silly in reaction to it can be "news" on the internet. I wish they could get the same attention for providing a service to their community as the only comic shop in that area for most of their 33 year exsistance (it's the oldest comic shop in the state!).

At least all the strangeness has reminded me to go down there to say "hi" and what's in their back issues and discount bins at some point.

Tim
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Todd Luck wrote: After thinking about it, I think you're 100% right.

5) A new, improved DC that finds it appropriate to publish a full page like the one that graced the last page of Detective Comics #1 wouldn't be compelled to censor that expression if the writer wanted to use it. Especially if that writer is Grant Morrison.

steverino
Account deactivated by administrator.

Post by steverino »

Well, if GD was exactly what the owner thought it was, I'd say his reaction was just fine. I completely agree that Superman saying 'God D#$m' would've been totally out of character and inflammatory. Superman was raised by good, farm folk that are mostly Christian. If nothing else, he'd have respect for the religion and never utter God's name in vain.

I easily can see why he'd take offence to this considering one other book called The Boys, that openly mock Christianity. Garth Ennis literally goes out of his way to ridicule anyone with Christian beliefs should they have the misfortune reading that series. Yeah, I used to read it, but I dropped it like a bad habit when it kept offended me. There are probably other examples, but that's the only one I'm sure of.

And I'm not sure if there is a thing such as overreacting for a Christian anymore. I've been doing a very small amount of research and found a whole lot of disturbing things from Christian haters. Go to any YouTube video that is Christian related, whether it be Christian bashing gays, or Christians being persecuted in India and you'll find the most hateful and vile comments towards Christians I've ever read. It seems as if the intensity is increasing too. The department of homeland security even profiles a homeland terrorist as 'Christian'.

At 1st, I was wondering if it was in my head, Christians and their beliefs being mocked and persecuted. Now I know it isn't and I need to be very wary. :(