Dr. Solar #7

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

KenClarkson4Prez
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Dr. Solar #7

Post by KenClarkson4Prez »

just picked it up at the shop. anyone else get it?

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Wow, comics did come out today! I thought it would be tomorrow due to the holiday.
Last edited by StarBrand on Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:13:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vikingspawn
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by vikingspawn »

I haven't picked up my copy yet. Was there a letter column or a "coming soon/next issue" blurb in the issue?

KenClarkson4Prez

Post by KenClarkson4Prez »

vikingspawn wrote:I haven't picked up my copy yet. Was there a letter column or a "coming soon/next issue" blurb in the issue?
no letter column, each story has the usual "next issue" tag at the end, but nothing beyond that.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Strange. The Magnus story closed. At least this means hope for the next issue can exist.

I keep checking the Dark Horse site...

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

Well yea, solar does not end till the next issue #8. this way its 4 & 4 since they can make money off the trades.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by caxiotis »

MoonChild wrote:Well yea, solar does not end till the next issue #8. this way its 4 & 4 since they can make money off the trades.
Do you really think they make a lot of money off of the trades? They only printed a little over $1k of the Solar TPB.

JCVaughn
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by JCVaughn »

StarBrand wrote:Wow, comics did come out today! I thought it would be tomorrow due to the holiday.
Some retailers might not have informed their customers, but unless the holiday is on the Wednesday, comics should come out on Wednesday with the delivery Diamond initiated earlier this year.

JCVaughn

Post by JCVaughn »

caxiotis wrote: Do you really think they make a lot of money off of the trades?
There would be no other reason to go back to press on them if they didn't make money on them.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

JCVaughn wrote:
StarBrand wrote:Wow, comics did come out today! I thought it would be tomorrow due to the holiday.
Some retailers might not have informed their customers, but unless the holiday is on the Wednesday, comics should come out on Wednesday with the delivery Diamond initiated earlier this year.
Thanks. :thumb:

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

I don't know about you guys, but I just read this issue last night, and I found it to be an incredible read! If issues of this calibre were released first in the DH line, I feel that it would have gotten off to a MUCH better start :)

Let's hope that the remaining few issues left don't take another year to come out :(

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

JonesyAZ wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I just read this issue last night, and I found it to be an incredible read! If issues of this calibre were released first in the DH line, I feel that it would have gotten off to a MUCH better start :)

Let's hope that the remaining few issues left don't take another year to come out :(
Im still hold onto hope there will be more issues in this line beyond the current arcs. If not, at least we got an amazing new origin for Dr Solar out of it. :|

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

JonesyAZ wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I just read this issue last night, and I found it to be an incredible read! If issues of this calibre were released first in the DH line, I feel that it would have gotten off to a MUCH better start :)

I agree, this was a really excellent issue. In the first story the art by Robinson has improved a ton, the fight scenes against the super-dense metal men are especially awesome.

The origin story continues to be great. I've said it before, but if they just would have started with the origin stories instead of the attempt at light-hearted comics we might be in a different situation.

I suggest picking this up if you can, they might be in demand by hardcore fans in later years since the stories are good and the print runs have to be getting miniscule.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Ryan wrote:

I agree, this was a really excellent issue. In the first story the art by Robinson has improved a ton, the fight scenes against the super-dense metal men are especially awesome.

The origin story continues to be great. I've said it before, but if they just would have started with the origin stories instead of the attempt at light-hearted comics we might be in a different situation.

I suggest picking this up if you can, they might be in demand by hardcore fans in later years since the stories are good and the print runs have to be getting miniscule.
I think you make several good points, Ryan. If they had started off with this tremendous origin story, and the also outstanding regular story going in Dr. Solar right now, this line would've received great attention right away. Also, these books may become sought after lately, especially in view of the likely diminishing print-runs these later issues will continue to have.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

Issue 7 was great stuff as usual. At the rate Solar has been coming out issue 8 should be out sometime in the fall unless it gets delayed even more.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

I was really surprised to see that it was out already. How long was it delayed? It doesn't seem like this one was.

kevinbastos
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody
Editor's pick on darkhorse.com

Post by kevinbastos »

Wow. Thought they'd killed this.

Not too shabby a notation.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/

Dr. Solar 7

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

dave wrote:I was really surprised to see that it was out already. How long was it delayed? It doesn't seem like this one was.
This is the one title from this line that seemed to come out fairly consistently.

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

StarBrand wrote: This is the one title from this line that seemed to come out fairly consistently.
July 2010
September 2010
October 2010
December 2010
February 2011
April 2011
July 2011

:? Doesn't seem consistent to me. This is what killed my interest in the line.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote: This is the one title from this line that seemed to come out fairly consistently.
July 2010
September 2010
October 2010
December 2010
February 2011
April 2011
July 2011

It's been averaging bi-monthly status. Not as desirable as monthly, but within normal scheduling, in my view. Some titles are planned as bi-monthly.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
July 2010
September 2010
October 2010
December 2010
February 2011
April 2011
July 2011

It's been averaging bi-monthly status. Not as desirable as monthly, but within normal scheduling, in my view. Some titles are planned as bi-monthly.
I could live with a bi-monthly but that is not what these titles were billed as so expectation high - result low = disappointing. This is the same reason I dropped the Atlas line as well. In August issue 5 is suppose to be out for their titles. In June issue 2 just came out and July is a wait and see for 3.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
July 2010
September 2010
October 2010
December 2010
February 2011
April 2011
July 2011

I could live with a bi-monthly but that is not what these titles were billed as so expectation high - result low = disappointing. This is the same reason I dropped the Atlas line as well. In August issue 5 is suppose to be out for their titles. In June issue 2 just came out and July is a wait and see for 3.
I know what you mean, bro. :|

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
StarBrand wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
July 2010
September 2010
October 2010
December 2010
February 2011
April 2011
July 2011

I know what you mean, bro. :|
Hopefully 2012 shows lots of promise. :thumb:

That is until December. :atomic: