BWS on Valiant Facebook feed

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

KenClarkson4Prez
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
BWS on Valiant Facebook feed

Post by KenClarkson4Prez »

This is how rumors get started......from the Valiant Facebook wall:

Master storyteller Barry Windsor-Smith shows us how its done in this page from Archer & Armstrong. Beautiful panel design

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

I like the close up of the dino's eye... almost a yin-yang symbol.

-slym

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

slym2none wrote:I like the close up of the dino's eye... almost a yin-yang symbol.

-slym
Leave Dino out of this! :wink:

etos45
I live to be inefficient!
Re: BWS on Valiant Facebook feed

Post by etos45 »

KenClarkson4Prez wrote:This is how rumors get started......from the Valiant Facebook wall:
I thought the same thing when I read it... like I wonder if they're trying to hint to something. I'm not really sure if BWS is even available these days, but I have to admit that the more originals they can get involved, the brighter their future will look. :thumb:

I'm sure it's just a plug for the company/HC, though.

KenClarkson4Prez
Re: BWS on Valiant Facebook feed

etos45 wrote:
KenClarkson4Prez wrote:This is how rumors get started......from the Valiant Facebook wall:
I thought the same thing when I read it... like I wonder if they're trying to hint to something. I'm not really sure if BWS is even available these days, but I have to admit that the more originals they can get involved, the brighter their future will look. :thumb:

I'm sure it's just a plug for the company/HC, though.
yeah, i am sure that is all it truly was....just a sneaky advertisement for one of the few products they have to sell us. but BWS writing new A&a stories would be my number #1 wish for the relaunch, outside of a Shooter return.

sbcomics
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by sbcomics »

I would get totally pumped if they announced a new BWS Archer and Armstrong.

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by David_Cody »

To see BWS writing and penciling A&A would be a fanboy's dream come true.

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

I'm going to play devils advocate here:

Do you not think BWS style is a bit outdated for a brand new comic company? And is he really going to be able to attract new readers? And has he done anything in the last few years?

I'd love to see some more BWS Archer & Armstrong, and so would everyone here on the board I think, BUT would anyone else?

KenClarkson4Prez

ian_house wrote:I'm going to play devils advocate here:

Do you not think BWS style is a bit outdated for a brand new comic company? And is he really going to be able to attract new readers? And has he done anything in the last few years?

I'd love to see some more BWS Archer & Armstrong, and so would everyone here on the board I think, BUT would anyone else?
I really couldn't tell you what sells these days, since I have been out of comics basically since the original decline of Valiant. I will say this though, A&A was always among the least popular Valiant titles, numbers wise, and at the top of most critics lists. BWS couldn't pull in new readers THEN, so it is completely logicalhe couldn't do it now. i think in the 90s, BWS was given free reign by Valiant because the line was so successful, the company could afford to foot the bill on a quirky "critcal favorite". could they now? dunno. but thats what i wish for.....

orbitalshift
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by orbitalshift »

BWS on any Valiant book would be great, He is a great story teller and brought alot to the original Valiant Universe. I don't know what sells in the broader market, but know what would sell to me. Outside of Shooter, BWS would probably be the guy I would want involved with anything Valiant.

David_Cody

Post by David_Cody »

I'm just wondering. Did the BWS issues of A&A sell OK or was it post A&A without BWS that sold poorly? I really didn't care much at all for the writing nor the art of A&A issue 13 on.

A&A 1-12 is probably some of my fav comics of all time for me as a consecutive run. Just magic.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

david_albuq wrote:
A&A 1-12 is probably some of my fav comics of all time for me as a consecutive run. Just magic.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

orbitalshift wrote:BWS on any Valiant book would be great, He is a great story teller and brought alot to the original Valiant Universe. I don't know what sells in the broader market, but know what would sell to me. Outside of Shooter, BWS would probably be the guy I would want involved with anything Valiant.
Agrees THEN... not sure about it now. I wonder what DIDNT work for the Dark Key comics?? Why didnt it work for Shooter? To what extend was he involved? How much power did he possess? Not sure.

I like almost everything that BSW worked on for VALIANT. It did seem that he wanted to pull the book into his own direction, especially at the end with the intro to 'Andy'. That seemed too mystical to me.. to 'magical'. Its difficult to reign in an artists ideas and have them be team players 100% of the time.

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

I agree with orbitalshift, BWS on a Valiant booked would sell me on it. Most of my favorite VH1 artwork was done by him. His Solar covers are some of my favorite EVER in comics. But my tastes aside, I can't say that new readers are going to be drawn in by his name alone. Once they see the artwork, sure. Or at leaset they SHOULD. :)

BloodShot
Guess I'll have ta' start bein' on here 25 hours a day
Guess I'll have ta' start bein' on here 25 hours a day
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Dude, seriously?
Favorite title: Yer kiddin', right?
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by BloodShot »

sbcomics wrote:I would get totally pumped if they announced a new BWS Archer and Armstrong.
Absofrigginlootlee :banana: !!!

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

I'm gonna play the opposite of the devil's advocate and say this:

The ORIGINAL VALIANT found success by doing things that no one else was doing at the time, not by copying what was already going on and doing it well. To say that BWS might not fit with today's current market then, is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

I could be wrong, but I think a BWS return to comics would be pretty huge news in mainstream comics press.

I don't know what it would cost or if he would even be interested, but getting BWS involved in any form would be a huge coup for VEI IMO.

Johnseye
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: I think it was 1991
Favorite title: Rai

Post by Johnseye »

What about Kevin VanHook? I personally liked his writing better than Jurgens or anyone else on the Solar series.

David_Cody

Post by David_Cody »

Ryan wrote:I could be wrong, but I think a BWS return to comics would be pretty huge news in mainstream comics press.

I don't know what it would cost or if he would even be interested, but getting BWS involved in any form would be a huge coup for VEI IMO.
Agreed, whole-heartedly. There's still a lot of long-in-the-so-called tooth comic readers who knows BWS' rep and probably are aware of his work on A&A. Total coup if the new VEI could get him on board with a new A&A series.

I would most DEFINITELY buy it and I haven't been in a comic store in probably over 10 years.

David_Cody

Post by David_Cody »

Johnseye wrote:What about Kevin VanHook? I personally liked his writing better than Jurgens or anyone else on the Solar series.
I'd love to see him come back, but isn't he knee-deep in the movie biz now. Loved his work on Bloodshot.

Johnseye
Valiant fan since: I think it was 1991
Favorite title: Rai

Post by Johnseye »

david_albuq wrote:
Johnseye wrote:What about Kevin VanHook? I personally liked his writing better than Jurgens or anyone else on the Solar series.
I'd love to see him come back, but isn't he knee-deep in the movie biz now. Loved his work on Bloodshot.
Yea from what I've read it's been movies recently but that would tie in nicely if Valiant ever got a title up on the big screen. I'm optimistic. :D

etos45

Post by etos45 »

So VEI is posting more BWS A&A... is this a tease to A&A or the fact that BWS is coming back?

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

etos45 wrote:So VEI is posting more BWS A&A... is this a tease to A&A or the fact that BWS is coming back?
It'd be nice if it were both, but just ONE would be awesome.

etos45

Post by etos45 »

xodacia81 wrote:
etos45 wrote:So VEI is posting more BWS A&A... is this a tease to A&A or the fact that BWS is coming back?
It'd be nice if it were both, but just ONE would be awesome.
It's funny, because when I first started reading Valiant, A&A was my least favorite title (until Turok came out :D) but it has really grown on me in the past couple of years. From the way they have been talking, it kind of looked like X-O was going to be the launch title, but maybe it'll be A&A? I like the idea of them starting off with something a little less action packed than X-O or Bloodshot, but I'm not sure how much that will draw in new readers.