Dark Horse Gold Key Release Dates

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Todd Luck wrote:BTW, there's no cancelation for the books listed with Diamond and then there's the fact that creators are still working on the books...

Posted May 3rd by the letter of Solar:

Gonna finish up SOLAR 7 for DH this morning, then I'll get the Blambot May update online if there are no surprises.
http://twitter.com/#!/blambot

Posted by the Jim Shooter May 4th responding to question about the lateness of the Dark Horse Book:

Some of it is my fault, I guess. But, generally, I've stayed ahead of the artists -- that is, they usually weren't waiting for script. It hasn't been hard to stay ahead of them. One artist took four months to draw an issue of an every-six-weeks book. At this moment, however, I have THREE artists waiting for script, so excuse me, I have to get back to work. : )

http://www.jimshooter.com/2011/05/anoth ... l#comments

Don't sound canceled to me. :?
Word of the cancellation came on Saturday May 7th after both of those posts by Shooter & Blambot - Seeing as how the Diamond offices are closed on the weekend then there wouldn't be any announcement from them yet. I wouldn't expect to see anything from Diamond until just before the next Previews is released. Before then we should hear the news from other Comic Media outlets about the situation.
From the "It's over folks....." thread.
orbitalshift wrote:In case it hasn't been posted here, Jayjay just confirmed over at the Dark-Key site that the Dark Horse Gold Key line has been cancelled.
I would say that's a pretty reliable source.
Very Reliable

dhudson1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: duh, X-O
Favorite writer: ditti
Favorite artist: all of them

Post by dhudson1 »

Wish Jim could get his own backing and nove forward with the stories. Wishful thinking, I know

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

dhudson1 wrote:Wish Jim could get his own backing and nove forward with the stories. Wishful thinking, I know
Would be nice though.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
Todd Luck wrote:BTW, there's no cancelation for the books listed with Diamond and then there's the fact that creators are still working on the books...

Posted May 3rd by the letter of Solar:

Gonna finish up SOLAR 7 for DH this morning, then I'll get the Blambot May update online if there are no surprises.
http://twitter.com/#!/blambot

Posted by the Jim Shooter May 4th responding to question about the lateness of the Dark Horse Book:

Some of it is my fault, I guess. But, generally, I've stayed ahead of the artists -- that is, they usually weren't waiting for script. It hasn't been hard to stay ahead of them. One artist took four months to draw an issue of an every-six-weeks book. At this moment, however, I have THREE artists waiting for script, so excuse me, I have to get back to work. : )

http://www.jimshooter.com/2011/05/anoth ... l#comments

Don't sound canceled to me. :?
Word of the cancellation came on Saturday May 7th after both of those posts by Shooter & Blambot - Seeing as how the Diamond offices are closed on the weekend then there wouldn't be any announcement from them yet. I wouldn't expect to see anything from Diamond until just before the next Previews is released. Before then we should hear the news from other Comic Media outlets about the situation.
From the "It's over folks....." thread.
orbitalshift wrote:In case it hasn't been posted here, Jayjay just confirmed over at the Dark-Key site that the Dark Horse Gold Key line has been cancelled.
I would say that's a pretty reliable source.
I completely missed that thread. Just kept looking over this one that just seemed to react to the false shipping dates getting yanked, hence my confusion. Yeah Jay Jay should be a relaible source. Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry to hear it.

So I wonder what will get published?

To fill out of the trades they'd need to put out Solar 7 (which we know is done), 8; Samson 4; and Turok 3, 4. And we know art's been done on the next Magnus plotline but I guess they could just take the labor costs on unpublished issues as an acceptable loss.

Typically big companies like Marvel and DC let their canceled books finish out at least the plotline they're on (sometimes a little more) so hopefully Dark Horse will too (afterall they've already sunk so much money into these books, they might as well publish as much of what they got as they can)

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

I think they will make sure its enough for the trades. I hope they do so at least being that they pulled the rug out from under us.

caxiotis
Wang, Wang, Wang, I want all of your books.

Post by caxiotis »

Just looked at the Dark Horse Website and the only Dark-Key books they show as coming up are:

May 25
Magnus 4
Mighty Samson 3

Also, DCBS is soliciting Solar #10. Too bad it won't be coming out :(

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

caxiotis wrote:Just looked at the Dark Horse Website and the only Dark-Key books they show as coming up are:

May 25
Magnus 4
Mighty Samson 3

Also, DCBS is soliciting Solar #10. Too bad it won't be coming out :(
I don't see any reason why we won't if they the titles do go on a haitus and come back.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

Dr Solar 7 is back on the Dark Horse website, though it's not listed at TFAW. The release date says May 11th, so I'm not going to list it in the top post on this thread yet.

jbtheo
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by jbtheo »

Dark Horse is listing Solar # 7 coming out on July 11th. July!!?? Man, I am sorry to see these books go, but at the same time, it's like put the line out of its misery already! It's no wonder DH is not making money on the books! Though, at this point, they probably don't care anymore. At the rate they are going, Solar 8 will probably come out in September.

I really like the books, and I enjoy Jim Shooter's writing a lot, but I COULD NOT stand the lateness these books had. The constant let down of expecting something to come out, and then you find out THAT DAY that it is delayed another two weeks (I think at one point it was delayed an additional month) is not worth it anymore. Though, Marvel and DC are guilty of this from time-to-time, as well. Image moreso. Of course, this only happens to the books that I buy. :!:

Sorry... ranted a bit. I just don't get it. If an artist takes four months to draw a story, fire him and hire someone else. Seriously.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

jbtheo wrote:Dark Horse is listing Solar # 7 coming out on July 11th. July!!?? Man, I am sorry to see these books go, but at the same time, it's like put the line out of its misery already! It's no wonder DH is not making money on the books! Though, at this point, they probably don't care anymore. At the rate they are going, Solar 8 will probably come out in September.

I really like the books, and I enjoy Jim Shooter's writing a lot, but I COULD NOT stand the lateness these books had. The constant let down of expecting something to come out, and then you find out THAT DAY that it is delayed another two weeks (I think at one point it was delayed an additional month) is not worth it anymore. Though, Marvel and DC are guilty of this from time-to-time, as well. Image moreso. Of course, this only happens to the books that I buy. :!:

Sorry... ranted a bit. I just don't get it. If an artist takes four months to draw a story, fire him and hire someone else. Seriously.
I feel your pain. 8 books in what will amount to about 14 or maybe 16 months? That is ridiculous. As for firing an artist, I will say that I have been picking up the current Flash series and Francis Manapul, who does outstanding work, has caused massive delays and needed some fill-ins. I would not mind having a regular fill-in artist on books where regular artists are known for delays. Something to keep things flowing. In terms of the DHGK books, my understanding is that Shooter had the first 8-12 scripts finished a while ago and the artists just totally screwed it all up.

jbtheo

Post by jbtheo »

xodacia81 wrote:
jbtheo wrote:Dark Horse is listing Solar # 7 coming out on July 11th. July!!?? Man, I am sorry to see these books go, but at the same time, it's like put the line out of its misery already! It's no wonder DH is not making money on the books! Though, at this point, they probably don't care anymore. At the rate they are going, Solar 8 will probably come out in September.

I feel your pain. 8 books in what will amount to about 14 or maybe 16 months? That is ridiculous. As for firing an artist, I will say that I have been picking up the current Flash series and Francis Manapul, who does outstanding work, has caused massive delays and needed some fill-ins. I would not mind having a regular fill-in artist on books where regular artists are known for delays. Something to keep things flowing. In terms of the DHGK books, my understanding is that Shooter had the first 8-12 scripts finished a while ago and the artists just totally screwed it all up.
Yeah--it's ridiculous. I would prefer a rotating art team, as you suggested, when the primary artist is having problems meeting his deadlines. I don't know. I think 22 pages a month is reasonable to complete on-time. I just never understood why some artists take so long, and I certainly don't understand why companies continue to put up with it.

You hear stories of how Kirby was able to do 5 pages a day, and people still revere his work so many years later (so it didn't suck). Someone taking 4 months to do 22 pages of art, I mean, that is like 1 page every 3.5 days. Pathetic. So it takes someone 30+ hours to do one piece of art??! No--the reality is that said artist is goofing off and not working. You can't get away with that in "the real world". You'd get fired.

I know people expect more details and more flash and glitz nowadays, but at the end of the day, you still have to meet your deadlines. And fooey on DH for putting up with it.

:!:

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Added the release date for Dr Solar 7 to the top post.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

StarBrand wrote:Added the release date for Dr Solar 7 to the top post.

Just keep in mind that the day it's solicited for (July 11) is a Monday, not a Wednesday when all their others comics are solicited for (and all new comics tend to ship). So I suspect there's a mistake there (hopefully they just meant Wednesday, July 13, but I'm sure they'll correct it at some point)

stp1503
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by stp1503 »

Can anybody give me more info about the tpb's for the Dark-Key books? I've tried to find some information but have had no luck.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

stp1503 wrote:Can anybody give me more info about the tpb's for the Dark-Key books? I've tried to find some information but have had no luck.
So far, only the Solar one has come out.

The Magnus one is on amazon, but not out yet.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

kevinbastos wrote:
stp1503 wrote:Can anybody give me more info about the tpb's for the Dark-Key books? I've tried to find some information but have had no luck.
So far, only the Solar one has come out.

The Magnus one is on amazon, but not out yet.
Here's Solar...

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Solar-Man- ... 761&sr=1-1

Here's the Magnus one...

http://www.amazon.com/Magnus-Robot-Figh ... 65&sr=8-11

It says Magnus is supposed to be out Sept. 13 but Dark Horse's release dates on tradepaperbacks tends to be squishy. So it could come out before or after that date.

The other plotlines on the current titles need to be wrapped up before they can be collected so don't expect any more trades of the new stuff until next year.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Dr Solar 7 now scheduled for July 6th. Thanks for JoneseyAz for notifying me!

caxiotis

Post by caxiotis »

StarBrand wrote:Dr Solar 7 now scheduled for July 6th. Thanks for JoneseyAz for notifying me!
That must have just happenned because I checked the Dark Horse Website this morning and it said July 11

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Thanks for the heads up on July 6th. :thumb:

Second_Death
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Second_Death »

On hiatus or not, Solar #7 appears ready to ship.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Can anyone find out if stores are expecting Dr Solar 7 next week?

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

Previews shows 7/6 next week so that's a good sign: http://www.previewsworld.com/public/shi ... leases.txt

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

iggy101us wrote:Previews shows 7/6 next week so that's a good sign: http://www.previewsworld.com/public/shi ... leases.txt
:thumb:

Second_Death

Post by Second_Death »

Doctor Solar #7 does appear to be on it's way. :thumb: