It's over folks....., err well let's hope not.

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ian_house
using a Welsh to American translator

Post by ian_house »

kevinbastos wrote:
ian_house wrote:Hiatus = Cancelled.
Cancelled = cancelled.

Hiatus = PROBABLY cancelled.

Cancelled = no hope.

Hiatus = bit of hope.

I will take it.
Cancelled = Definitely lose business

Hiatus = It might come back, don't give up on DH.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Im guessing after the disappointment there are a few folks here now with finger crossed, that VEI can somehow do a deal and get the books back out with the rest of the Valiant Universe.

:hm:

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

VEI Reborn wrote:
araknospider wrote: I wrote a letter to Chris W and well read for yourselfs

On May 7, 2011, at 9:44 AM, Jason Smith wrote:
Hello I just herd the Dark Key line has been Canceled is this true? you guys were just getting back on track and things were looking up and great. what a disapointment :( Chris would you tell me how meny more books each title there will be?
and if you do just stop the line could you do an "end book" with all the covers and any unfinished meterial. please dont just do nothing and stop in mind motion allow us to get ther rest of the work that is left over. one end book for all titles or one end book for each title. with what ever stuff you have kicking around.

I am sorry it did not work out for you guys we tried to support the line at every turn and god what a huge disapointment. take care chris and hope to hear back from you. Thanks for everything
Jason Smith
[move]Reply[/move]

Hi Jason,

The books are going on hiatus, Hiatus may refer to: Recess (break); Hiatus, a small difference in pitch between two musical tones

but are not gone for good. Of the current titles, Dr. Solar will run through issue #8, and Magnus, Turok, and Samson will each run through #4, finishing off story arcs and with all the material slated to be collected in trade-paperback form. Stay tuned for future announcements.

Thanks for your support!

Chris
Someone wrote this on the DK forum. Interesting if true
Thanks VEI Reborn and Spider for sharing. It would indeed be good if they can at least wrap up the story arcs and then regroup and figure out their next steps.

I don't see any issue with Spider posting Chris's reply since nowhere in his reply did he tell you to keep it to yourself.

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

"Hiatus" is definitely a more hopeful word, but I have to agree with Ian that that pretty much means cancelled. How many other projects out there (not just comics but TV shows, movies, etc) went on "hiatus" to never be heard from again?

Yes, a glimmer of hope remains, and I'll stay latched on to it. But it's just a glimmer.

ian_house

Post by ian_house »

Heath wrote:"Hiatus" is definitely a more hopeful word, but I have to agree with Ian that that pretty much means cancelled. How many other projects out there (not just comics but TV shows, movies, etc) went on "hiatus" to never be heard from again?

Yes, a glimmer of hope remains, and I'll stay latched on to it. But it's just a glimmer.
Yeah thats my thoughts. I'd love for them to continue, or come back. The term hiatus always strikes me as being something a company will say to make sure you don't leave them.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

ian_house wrote:
Heath wrote:"Hiatus" is definitely a more hopeful word, but I have to agree with Ian that that pretty much means cancelled. How many other projects out there (not just comics but TV shows, movies, etc) went on "hiatus" to never be heard from again?

Yeah thats my thoughts. I'd love for them to continue, or come back. The term hiatus always strikes me as being something a company will say to make sure you don't leave them.
In this particular case, I'm inclined to agree. This launch has not went well by any standard. Between the lateness of the books and the low print numbers, it certainly gives the impression that DH is not fully committed to the new line. I honestly can't see them trying this again in the near future, but we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

iggy101us wrote:I don't see any issue with Spider posting Chris's reply since nowhere in his reply did he tell you to keep it to yourself.
Agree... UNLESS a Non-dis was ignored or overlooked. But then again, a guy that high up in the food chain (Warner, not Spider) should not have divulged information that could be detrimental (for whatever reason) to a complete stranger.

Nothing wrong with saying 'well, don't count the series as being 'over' yet.

I can't see JayJay as giving out bogus S2 though. Maybe it was only directed towards the Shooter/DH relationship and not the entire line.

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

There is probably alot going on that we don't know about and word is trickling in from both sides that is conflicting each other so until the dust settles I say grab hold and hang on for the ride. Hopefully the line does continue in some form.

orbitalshift
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by orbitalshift »

Knightt wrote:
iggy101us wrote:I don't see any issue with Spider posting Chris's reply since nowhere in his reply did he tell you to keep it to yourself.
Agree... UNLESS a Non-dis was ignored or overlooked. But then again, a guy that high up in the food chain (Warner, not Spider) should not have divulged information that could be detrimental (for whatever reason) to a complete stranger.

Nothing wrong with saying 'well, don't count the series as being 'over' yet.

I can't see JayJay as giving out bogus S2 though. Maybe it was only directed towards the Shooter/DH relationship and not the entire line.
No Jayjay said Dark Horse still wanted to work with Jim on "some things".

But I know Jayjay has also said she is an outsider looking in, and not directly involved and to treat her comments as such. At this point, to my knowledge there has been no direct confirmation from Dark Horse other than the removal of all solicited books. The closest thing we have to any real confirmation is the email from Chris Warner saying the books were going on "hiatus".

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Providing the quote in it's entirety would have been a good idea. :thumb:
JayJay wrote:
phillipsolar wrote:
orbitalshift wrote: Yeah, I would say at this point I am fairly concerned. Dark Horse has removed all the previously solicited Dark-Key books from their upcoming section except the two slated for this month. With the scheduling problems the line has had this may be a necessity. What I don't quite get is why, if they intend to continue to publish the line, have they not posted something saying "hey we are readjusting the dates for these books, stay tuned." I mean if you are developing a product, and you have a core group of supporters for that product, why not clue them in when you make changes to release schedules. We are the people who will most avidly be looking for these releases.

At this point if I am looking at it objectively, I have no choice but to conclude that this line must be dead after Magnus 4 and Samson 3. Now my fanboy hopes certainly are that Dark Horse will put the books back on the schedule, though for the life of me I don't understand why they couldn't have just adjusted the release dates and left them on in the first place.

If it isn't cleared up before, we should get a clue when this months solicitations hit.
Wow, you phrased it so perfectly and damn!, now you are getting me very very worried. But Roger Robinson finished drawing Solar#7 and I would be *SQUEE* if at least the origins back-up is not concluded!!! :'(

Unfortunately, Dark Horse has cancelled the books. They are doing a few more, I think to finish out enough issue to do trade PB, but because of the high price of the license from Classic Media, dropping sales figures as well as increasing interference from Classic Media into the content of the comics, Dark Horse decided to drop the books. They still like Jim and want to work with him on some things. He's still very disappointed. But Classic Media is asking too much for too little and they've caused problems as well.

I'm so sorry to have to tell you. Or to even have to say it. It's very disappointing. I was really loving the stories.
Last edited by Knightt on Tue May 10, 2011 2:26:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

As Long as Dark-Horse is aware we wont read em if they are written by anyone else than Shooter lol.

orbitalshift

Post by orbitalshift »

Knightt wrote:Providing the quote in it's entirety would have been a good idea. :thumb:
Sorry, I was just posting quickly from my iPhone.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

MoonChild wrote:As Long as Dark-Horse is aware we wont read em if they are written by anyone else than Shooter lol.
Don't know how much seriousness is in this, but I'll at least give 'em a try one way or another.

Getting back into the swing has been refreshing.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

orbitalshift wrote:
Knightt wrote:Providing the quote in it's entirety would have been a good idea. :thumb:
Sorry, I was just posting quickly from my iPhone.
I get the same thing when posting from my iPad... it is wonky like that.

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

Draco wrote:Im guessing after the disappointment there are a few folks here now with finger crossed, that VEI can somehow do a deal and get the books back out with the rest of the Valiant Universe.

Draco

Post by Draco »

hulk181man wrote:
Draco wrote:Im guessing after the disappointment there are a few folks here now with finger crossed, that VEI can somehow do a deal and get the books back out with the rest of the Valiant Universe.

iggy101us

Post by iggy101us »

Draco wrote:
hulk181man wrote:

If there are grumblings about Classic Media's perceived high licensing fees, how can VEI afford the GK characters? Perhaps if VEI had won that multi-million dollar lawsuit a few years ago, they can afford to hire Jim Shooter back and pay Classic Media's fees . . .

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

iggy101us wrote:
Draco wrote:
hulk181man wrote:

If there are grumblings about Classic Media's perceived high licensing fees, how can VEI afford the GK characters? Perhaps if VEI had won that multi-million dollar lawsuit a few years ago, they can afford to hire Jim Shooter back and pay Classic Media's fees . . . :hm:
As I understand the legend, VEI was in talks with Classic Media when Shooter jumped ship. I would imagine that VEI has a pretty good idea of the kind of money involved in licensing these properties and I am left with the impression that they were still interested in these properties.

Draco

Post by Draco »

iggy101us wrote:
Draco wrote:
hulk181man wrote:

If there are grumblings about Classic Media's perceived high licensing fees, how can VEI afford the GK characters? Perhaps if VEI had won that multi-million dollar lawsuit a few years ago, they can afford to hire Jim Shooter back and pay Classic Media's fees . . . :hm:
Without having any idea at all what the fees would likely be from CM, difficult to fathom.
Even though the right money can sometimes help, im pretty sure there will be no Shooter ever working alongside VEI, too much mud slung on that one.

DH no doubt held onto the licence for GK when VEI wanted it on the strength of DH publishing new material and of course it being successful, but now it hasnt are Dh going to want to pay for something that quite clearly isnt viable in this market place for them.

We see licensed properties changing publishers from time to time, so why not with GK4.
Valiant worked so well from the GK character start up way back when, why not let VEI have another pop. CM would want money to keep coming in surely over nothing from DH if this has gone sour.

In the current climate, VEI will struggle to get off the ground ( without all the nutjobs on here posting and re posting the info the world over), but in a year or so who knows or dares to wonder !!?!!

Heath
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

Gold Key characters back at VEI? I would think that ship has sailed. If they were planning their new universe with the hopes of getting the GK characters at any time, I would think those plans were scratched when Dark Horse won the license. I would hope that they've been planning their universe since then, are close to actually putting out material, and I would think that bringing the GK characters back would be yet another setback and cause yet more delays as they reworked their plans (again). I'd rather they just proceed with what they have worked up so far. The characters they own should stand on their own well enough without having to bring in Solar and Magnus.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

The title of this thread isn't very accurate at this point. We got two issues coming out in a couple weeks. We got two sources, one the editor of the books and the other who is in contact with Shooter, both saying that the remaining plotlines will be completed (that's 5 more comics to be released after this month). No offical announcement of any kind of cancelation and an indicaton from the editor the titles will keep going in some fashion. It doesn't sound like it's over yet.

orbitalshift

Post by orbitalshift »

Todd Luck wrote:The title of this thread isn't very accurate at this point. We got two issues coming out in a couple weeks. We got two sources, one the editor of the books and the other who is in contact with Shooter, both saying that the remaining plotlines will be completed (that's 5 more comics to be released after this month). No offical announcement of any kind of cancelation and an indicaton from the editor the titles will keep going in some fashion. It doesn't sound like it's over yet.
I really hope this all works out, forgive me I was a bit distraught when I posted that.

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
loosely based on a true story

Post by StarBrand »

orbitalshift wrote:
Todd Luck wrote:The title of this thread isn't very accurate at this point. We got two issues coming out in a couple weeks. We got two sources, one the editor of the books and the other who is in contact with Shooter, both saying that the remaining plotlines will be completed (that's 5 more comics to be released after this month). No offical announcement of any kind of cancelation and an indicaton from the editor the titles will keep going in some fashion. It doesn't sound like it's over yet.
I really hope this all works out, forgive me I was a bit distraught when I posted that.
At the time it seemed to be what was happening.

arromdee
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by arromdee »

I don't think a "hiatus" makes any sense as anything other than a cancellation. It's a licensed book, which means they're paying money for it. A real hiatus (with the possibility of restarting it later) would mean that they are still paying the money yet not putting anything out.

orbitalshift

Post by orbitalshift »

Well I guess it could mean that we are stopping now, until classic media is willing to negotiate better licensing terms or the market improves.

At this point nothing official has been said, and it all may still be in flux to some degree.