Re-reading Eternal Warrior "Mortal Kin" Story Arc

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

HaloReach2010
My posts can all fit in a short box
Re-reading Eternal Warrior "Mortal Kin" Story Arc

Post by HaloReach2010 »

I enjoyed this arc very much. The last issue was the "may be unsuitable for all ages" cover where Gilad's arm was dismembered by a speeding subway car. Never really thought it was all that graphic....maybe just hyped to sell more books.

Most interesting was that Gilad has to kill his offspring. It is told that he has done this throughout his lifespan....was this ever touched in A&A or other EW books?

Also, part 3, issue 35 (i think) has the Birthquake imprint on the cover....but doesnt seem to me that it was anything other than the conclusion to Mortal Kin....I havent really read much of the Birthquake books. What was the promotion really for? Valiant re-inventing their universe?

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Re-reading Eternal Warrior "Mortal Kin" Story

Post by magnusr »

HaloReach2010 wrote:was this ever touched in A&A or other EW books?
There were some other references like that.
I havent really read much of the Birthquake books. What was the promotion really for?
Nothing, just new artists...

/Magnus

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

I don't think it's graphic either. In Unity, dinosaurs ripped people into pieces and poor Aric got bitten in half with his guts spilling out.

Birthquake is not a crossover event like Unity. It's just a marketing gimmick where Valiant hired some hot artists and reduced the number of titles.

HaloReach2010

Post by HaloReach2010 »

iggy101us wrote:I don't think it's graphic either. In Unity, dinosaurs ripped people into pieces and poor Aric got bitten in half with his guts spilling out.

Birthquake is not a crossover event like Unity. It's just a marketing gimmick where Valiant hired some hot artists and reduced the number of titles.
Gotcha...thanks for the info!

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Two things spring to mind with regard to Gilad killing his offspring before EW 35.

One of the Eternal Warrior Yearbooks (probably the second one - was that published before EW 35?) featured a story where Gilad has to hunt down one of his sons possessed by General Chen (you like that, Elveen? I remembered to call him General) on a pirate ship around the 17th century or so.

The other instance is around EW 27 or 29 when he is searching for the new Geomancer. Geoff's parents ask Gilad if he has any children and he responds "None living".

HaloReach2010

Post by HaloReach2010 »

Chiclo wrote:Two things spring to mind with regard to Gilad killing his offspring before EW 35.

One of the Eternal Warrior Yearbooks (probably the second one - was that published before EW 35?) featured a story where Gilad has to hunt down one of his sons possessed by General Chen (you like that, Elveen? I remembered to call him General) on a pirate ship around the 17th century or so.

The other instance is around EW 27 or 29 when he is searching for the new Geomancer. Geoff's parents ask Gilad if he has any children and he responds "None living".
I'll have to pull those and follow up. Did Armstrong ever refer to this as well? I seem to remember him being married atleast once.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Chiclo wrote:The other instance is around EW 27 or 29 when he is searching for the new Geomancer. Geoff's parents ask Gilad if he has any children and he responds "None living".
Yep, 27.

31 is also an example
HaloReach2010 wrote:Did Armstrong ever refer to this as well? I seem to remember him being married atleast once.
Nope, and he was married several times. And had a kid in Eternal Warrior 25.

Issue one btw tells us that Gilgamesh is a descendant of Gilad.

/Magnus

HaloReach2010

Post by HaloReach2010 »

magnusr wrote:
Chiclo wrote:The other instance is around EW 27 or 29 when he is searching for the new Geomancer. Geoff's parents ask Gilad if he has any children and he responds "None living".
Yep, 27.

31 is also an example
HaloReach2010 wrote:Did Armstrong ever refer to this as well? I seem to remember him being married atleast once.
Nope, and he was married several times. And had a kid in Eternal Warrior 25.

Issue one btw tells us that Gilgamesh is a descendant of Gilad.

/Magnus
Interesting that Gilad was the only one that went through this.

iwantvaliant
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by iwantvaliant »

Don't forget that the Gilad kills Jack the Ripper, who is revealed to be his daughter.

HaloReach2010

Post by HaloReach2010 »

iwantvaliantcomics wrote:Don't forget that the Gilad kills Jack the Ripper, who is revealed to be his daughter.
Yes I just read that....he dresses up like an old lady to do it. (Funny that she doesent notice that he is like 6'6''....!)