Reading my bound Ninjak book...

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...
Reading my bound Ninjak book...

Post by IanAlexavier »

Although Im enjoy the books a little.. the stories dont seem to really have the VALIANT feel to them. Sure Bloodshot shows up near the end of the series but ... meh...

It seems to have a James Bond feel to it, which is fine. Maybe there werent enough crossovers with other characters?? Not sure..

What does everyone else think?

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
a typical message board assassin

Post by slym2none »

I read Ninjak from #1 up to Chaos Effect. I don't remember a thing about it.

:?

-slym

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

I don't consider Ninjak to be a Valiant or even ACk-lame character.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.

Post by IanAlexavier »

Right.. there seems to be very little tie-in to the rest of the Valiant U. The only thing I can think of is that both of Colin Kings parents were injected with some sort of Nanite laden formula in an attempt to build a super soldier, maybe like they are trying to reproduce harbinger abilities.

I will read it through to the end.. see if anything else pops up :?

:thumb:

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I didn't care for either version of Ninjak, but I did like the way Acclaim used Colin as a James Bond type of character (without the lame ninja stuff). Actually, that probably would have fit better into the VU than the version we got.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.

Post by IanAlexavier »

I read through a later issue where Colin works with Bloodshot. At the end of the story arc, it is revealed that Bloodshot and Colin exchanged blood or more acuurately Bloodshot placed some nanites in Colins blood to keep track of him. I thought that wa a bit of good writing.

HaloReach2010
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by HaloReach2010 »

IanAlexavier wrote:I read through a later issue where Colin works with Bloodshot. At the end of the story arc, it is revealed that Bloodshot and Colin exchanged blood or more acuurately Bloodshot placed some nanites in Colins blood to keep track of him. I thought that wa a bit of good writing.
Im on the bandwagon as well....I feel that the story progressed as the issue number went up....hows that for irony in the VU - AC debacle?

I have read up almost the last issue (still looking for that one....)

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant fan since: VH1 Ninjak #1!
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Emanuela Lupacchino

Post by JonesyAZ »

I just started re-reading Ninjak on Monday. So far, i've read issues 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3.

I can honestly say i've enjoyed this session of Ninjak reading the most so far. The 0 and 00 issues are quite good in quality when it comes to origin stories :)

I really dig the James Bond-meets-Batman feel of Colin's character :) Plus, you can't go wrong with Joe Quesada's artwork in issues 1-3 :)

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the title to see how well it flows from beginning to end.

Interesting tidbit...in issues 0 and 00, there are a couple characters named "Abnett" and "Lanning." Lol...

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

JonesyAZ wrote:I just started re-reading Ninjak on Monday. So far, i've read issues 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3.

I can honestly say i've enjoyed this session of Ninjak reading the most so far. The 0 and 00 issues are quite good in quality when it comes to origin stories :)

I really dig the James Bond-meets-Batman feel of Colin's character :) Plus, you can't go wrong with Joe Quesada's artwork in issues 1-3 :)

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the title to see how well it flows from beginning to end.

Interesting tidbit...in issues 0 and 00, there are a couple characters named "Abnett" and "Lanning." Lol...
:screwy:

Just sayin'..

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

Unblessed wrote:
JonesyAZ wrote:I just started re-reading Ninjak on Monday. So far, i've read issues 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3.

:screwy:

Just sayin'..
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

I read some more Ninjak over the weekend; now up to issue 10.

I definitely might be crazy, but I am really enjoying this book! I'm looking forward to seeing how Ninjak takes down Dr. Silk in the later issues :)

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Guys! We need to do an intervention here guys before we lose Jonesy!

chisumwomack
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by chisumwomack »

Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a magician!

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

dave wrote:Guys! We need to do an intervention here guys before we lose Jonesy!
Next thing you know, he'll be liking Deathmate....

iggy101us
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart
I bought my first comics at Kwik-E-Mart

Post by iggy101us »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
dave wrote:Guys! We need to do an intervention here guys before we lose Jonesy!
Next thing you know, he'll be liking Deathmate....
I blame it on Valiant Vision. Jonesy has been wearing those glasses for months. That's got to have an effect on him.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You guys rule!

The thing is, my first Valiant books when I was a wee child were Ninjak #1, Deathmate, Valiant Vision Starter Kit, and X-O Manowar 0. While I now certainly realize how horrid V.V. and Deathmate are, I really do still dig Ninjak. I think it is because Batman is my all-time favorite superhero next to Vertigo's Sandman, and Ninjak is definitely a knock-off of bats (the wealthy playboy superhero aspect anyway).

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

JonesyAZ wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You guys rule!

The thing is, my first Valiant books when I was a wee child were Ninjak #1, Deathmate, Valiant Vision Starter Kit, and X-O Manowar 0. While I now certainly realize how horrid V.V. and Deathmate are, I really do still dig Ninjak. I think it is because Batman is my all-time favorite superhero next to Vertigo's Sandman, and Ninjak is definitely a knock-off of bats (the wealthy playboy superhero aspect anyway).
So, if Batman is your favorite, then what did you think of the punch Hal landed on Bruce in Rebirth? Me, I thought it was the least Bruce deserved, at the time.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

xodacia81 wrote:

So, if Batman is your favorite, then what did you think of the punch Hal landed on Bruce in Rebirth? Me, I thought it was the least Bruce deserved, at the time.
Same here.

JonesyAZ
Valiant...it moved.
Valiant...it moved.

Post by JonesyAZ »

xodacia81 wrote:

Oh, it was absolutely deserved :) I like reading characters even when they may not be the greatest incarnation. For example, i've gone back to re-read Zero Hour and Reing of the Supermen and it's cool to see how Hal Jordan was different back then, and how Johns has developed Green Lantern back into a heroic stance :)

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

JonesyAZ wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:

Oh, it was absolutely deserved :) I like reading characters even when they may not be the greatest incarnation. For example, i've gone back to re-read Zero Hour and Reing of the Supermen and it's cool to see how Hal Jordan was different back then, and how Johns has developed Green Lantern back into a heroic stance :)
Likewise. Coincidently, I have my biggest love/hate comic character pegged...as Batman. Some versions I really like the way they deal with him and other's, it's not about being multidimensional, he's just a *SQUEE*. I agree about what GJ has done with Hal. 90% of what he's done with GL has been gold. Back when the Gerard Jones era of GL ended, the editors had stopped caring and the series had become one big pile of bland. Marz, I think, actually did much to improve the book, for a while at least.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart
Re:

Post by mkb28 »

Now that I am binding my VH1 collection and the new "Ninjak" will be coming out soon, I decided to read the Ninjak 0-26 issue run. I am only a few issues in and so far the first 0 issue was pretty good, but I was lost in the double 00 issue. facepalm Issues 1-2 were an interesting read and I am curious to see where it goes from here. I am very excited to see what Kindt has in store for the new "Ninjak" series. :P

mkb28

mkb28
Re: Reading my bound Ninjak book...

Post by mkb28 »

I just finished issues 3-20 of "Ninjak" and it has been a fun read. I like when Ninjak is narrating the story from his perspective. With Acclaim fully in charge, the remaining issues will probably go down hill from here. facepalm Issues 21-26, plus the Yearbook and this one is wrapped up.

mkb28

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

mkb28 wrote:I just finished issues 3-20 of "Ninjak" and it has been a fun read. I like when Ninjak is narrating the story from his perspective. With Acclaim fully in charge, the remaining issues will probably go down hill from here. facepalm Issues 21-26, plus the Yearbook and this one is wrapped up.

mkb28
I finished these last 7-8 issues and I kept hoping that Ninjak would just jab his sword into Dr. Silk's big eye and then move onto another villain. :hope: It never happened, but it was still a fun read overall. I could have done without Ninjak smoking. :? What kind of message to send to kids for heaven's sakes!

I am already into the first 9 issues of "Bloodshot" and I really love this old series. :cloud9:

mkb28

NinJZA
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: Magnus RF vs. Predator
Favorite title: Divinity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt

Post by NinJZA »

My graphic novel book club is actually reading the Ninjak '94 hardcover this month, at my suggestion. I did get that it didn't seem tied into much of the Valiant universe, but I think this is good for my club since this is really the only Valiant title that's been pitched so far. When I pitched the title as "a ninja James Bond", I was surprised that the group nearly unanimously voted to read it, I thought that was really cool, but I'm hoping that it won't let them down!

Personally, I thought the title was pretty good, although the XOM crossover was a bit hokey. The action was top notch, and it was cool seeing the story introduce elements that were actually going on in the world at the time (i.e., CIA-issued Stingers going missing from Afghanistan was actually happening at the time) Take a look at some of the discussion questions I came up with here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0iB34 ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UPDATE: Read through to the end of the Ninjak run all the way to issue #26. The whole arc wasn't perfect, but fairly solid with some minor art quibbles (with Chris Sprouse on some of those issues, suprising because I like his Tom Strong art). The Abnett and Lanning overarching plot was great in the teen issues, although they stopped writing the book I think Jorge Gonzalez wrote a pretty good script from the A&L plots. The spy stuff against Webnet and White Wolf was cool, but I really got interested when it introduced Sister Gabriela, the Vatican intelligence agent/nun, I wish that arc would have continued! She could have even had her own title and become the Black Widow of Valiant! :rant:
mkb28 wrote:
mkb28 wrote:I just finished issues 3-20 of "Ninjak" and it has been a fun read. I like when Ninjak is narrating the story from his perspective. With Acclaim fully in charge, the remaining issues will probably go down hill from here. facepalm Issues 21-26, plus the Yearbook and this one is wrapped up.

mkb28
I finished these last 7-8 issues and I kept hoping that Ninjak would just jab his sword into Dr. Silk's big eye and then move onto another villain. :hope: It never happened, but it was still a fun read overall. I could have done without Ninjak smoking. :? What kind of message to send to kids for heaven's sakes!

mkb28
Also read the yearbook too, and it was a bit weird how both Silk and Ninjak both had opportunities to kill each other throughout the series, and just didn't.