Magnus 1 Reviews

The "Gold Key Three" from publications outside of the Valiant universe.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

eternalwarrior
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by eternalwarrior »

+1
Maybe Shooter can still populate this new world with characters that are cool enough to have their own series. I wonder if he still owns the rights to the broadway and defiant characters. It would be frakkin awesome to have Fatale pop up in an issue of Solar.

eternalwarrior

Post by eternalwarrior »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
eternalwarrior wrote:yeah. makes sense. I just want the old valiant back so bad i can taste it lol
It's a shame VEI couldn't secure the GK rights, cause it would have been great to have all of the characters in one universe again. At least Shooter is behind the helm with the Dark Horse versions, so that's something at least.
Speaking of the old Gold Key, i wonder why samson never appeared in the Valiant universe...Redundant maybe with Aram and gilad kicking around. I'm not really familiar with Gold Key's samson.

jbtheo
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by jbtheo »

eternalwarrior wrote:+1
Maybe Shooter can still populate this new world with characters that are cool enough to have their own series. I wonder if he still owns the rights to the broadway and defiant characters. It would be frakkin awesome to have Fatale pop up in an issue of Solar.
I could be wrong, but I think the Broadway and Defiant properties were owned by Golden Books, which was later acquired by Random House.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

eternalwarrior wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
eternalwarrior wrote:yeah. makes sense. I just want the old valiant back so bad i can taste it lol
It's a shame VEI couldn't secure the GK rights, cause it would have been great to have all of the characters in one universe again. At least Shooter is behind the helm with the Dark Horse versions, so that's something at least.
Speaking of the old Gold Key, i wonder why samson never appeared in the Valiant universe...Redundant maybe with Aram and gilad kicking around. I'm not really familiar with Gold Key's samson.
He may have had plans to bring more GK characters into the fold, but since he was booted so early on we'll never know now.

JCVaughn
Valiant fan since: 1991

Post by JCVaughn »

jbtheo wrote: I could be wrong, but I think the Broadway and Defiant properties were owned by Golden Books, which was later acquired by Random House.
You could be wrong, but you aren't. :atomic:

JCVaughn

Post by JCVaughn »

Daniel Jackson wrote: He may have had plans to bring more GK characters into the fold, but since he was booted so early on we'll never know now.
I asked him about this a long time back, but I don't actually remember the answer. I think there were some other Gold Key characters that they had locked up, but I don't think Samson was one of them.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

JCVaughn wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote: He may have had plans to bring more GK characters into the fold, but since he was booted so early on we'll never know now.
I asked him about this a long time back, but I don't actually remember the answer. I think there were some other Gold Key characters that they had locked up, but I don't think Samson was one of them.
If you get that the chance to interview Jim again, that would be a good question to ask.

JCVaughn

Post by JCVaughn »

eternalwarrior wrote: Speaking of the old Gold Key, i wonder why samson never appeared in the Valiant universe...Redundant maybe with Aram and gilad kicking around. I'm not really familiar with Gold Key's samson.
Mighty Samson is very different than those characters (I put together a full fun of the original series and the single issue of Gold Key Champion he appeared in when the new books were announced), though given their long lifespans future versions of them could have interacted with him. That actually might have been very cool.

Chuck64
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by Chuck64 »

One thing that I've wondered about is if Shooter has to police himself a bit with these books. I know it's been a bunch of years since the original Valiant stuff but considering the thought and effort that he put into re-birthing these characters at Valiant I wonder if he's mentally had any problems keeping the Valiant stuff out of this re-birthing.

Of course I guess DOCTOR Solar is a really a completely different character than Solar, but Magnus seems pretty much the same other than not being Kris and Torque's son.

jbtheo

Post by jbtheo »

Chuck64 wrote:One thing that I've wondered about is if Shooter has to police himself a bit with these books. I know it's been a bunch of years since the original Valiant stuff but considering the thought and effort that he put into re-birthing these characters at Valiant I wonder if he's mentally had any problems keeping the Valiant stuff out of this re-birthing.

Of course I guess DOCTOR Solar is a really a completely different character than Solar, but Magnus seems pretty much the same other than not being Kris and Torque's son.
Probably. But even if Jim Shooter did accidently or otherwise re-hash a Valiant idea and was called on it, VEI certainly couldn't do anything about it. They never owned the characters to begin with, and I am sure any stories during that time were done under license, so if anything, Random House actually owns the stories (much like Transformers, which is why IDW can reprint old Transformer stories done during the time it was licensed to Marvel--they can reprint the Dreamwave stuff, too, if they so wished). The only reason no one can reprint anything from that time is because there are Valiant characters thrown in the mix, and VEI certainly wouldn't sign off on that, because it wouldn't really help them sell comics. .... well, maybe it would, but it would all have to be timed really well and with no hard feelings on either end.

MoonChild
I HAVE NO INTENT ON BEING PATIENT!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

I would expect Magnus and Turok to be exatly the same minus interaction with valiant characters. Solar would be the only one Shooter would have to drastically change from the valiant solar.

MoonChild
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: BloodShot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by MoonChild »

I recall an interview where Shooter did confirm that he planned to use more gold key stuff during valiant, Doctor Spector in particular, if I recall correctly.

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes

Post by Knightt »

Does anybody have an extra Magnus Robot Fighter #1 Dark Horse VARIANT that they could sell me ? My LCS screwed me on this one (AND I bent up my Solar #1 regular cover :!: )

I am looking to buy or trade not asking for free swag.

JCVaughn

Post by JCVaughn »

Knightt wrote:Does anybody have an extra Magnus Robot Fighter #1 Dark Horse VARIANT that they could sell me ? My LCS screwed me on this one (AND I bent up my Solar #1 regular cover :!: )

I probably do, old bean, and will confirm.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

eternalwarrior wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
Exactly, speaking of the old Gold Key, I wonder sy SamohmyGOD, I love your avatar. Thats the checkout girl from 'Jizz in my Pants'. She can ask me "Cash or Credaitho8ieanh0g[a89030swgf98ag a'paerlkindgfa;lk;zbf;f'aggggggggggijukp;olkm,/.s...... oh geez. That $hit really works.

CLEAN UP, ISLE THREE !!!!!

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

JCVaughn wrote:
Knightt wrote:Does anybody have an extra Magnus Robot Fighter #1 Dark Horse VARIANT that they could sell me ? My LCS screwed me on this one (AND I bent up my Solar #1 regular cover :!: )

Old bean... dude, you made me laugh out loud. Bud, We've GOTTA talk this weekend. I have lots of new, uh NEWS !!! Shoot err... me your number again.

(ok my cleverness is spent for the day... I'm SPENT)

OOOOOH, that one is going to the cheap seats !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JCVaughn

Post by JCVaughn »

Knightt wrote:
JCVaughn wrote:

Old bean... dude, you made me laugh out loud. Bud, We've GOTTA talk this weekend. I have lots of new, uh NEWS !!! Shoot err... me your number again.

(ok my cleverness is spent for the day... I'm SPENT)

OOOOOH, that one is going to the cheap seats !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Comrade!

Left a msg on your cell. Working on tomorrow's sermon (it's been that kind of week; I've only known for a month that I was speaking tomorrow) and on the other project I mentioned, but I will be around tomorrow afternoon. Shoot me a PM or email if you need my cell # again.

Oh, and I do have a spare Magnus #1 variant if you didn't snag one already. Do you have a spare San Diego Solar #1. I got one, but wouldn't mind grabbing one for my buddy Rob.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

JCVaughn wrote:Do you have a spare San Diego Solar #1. I got one, but wouldn't mind grabbing one for my buddy Rob.
I think I might, if not I think I can find one and yes, please send me your number again although I think I can pull it off your cell phone message. It was good to hear your voice again my friend.

KenClarkson4Prez
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by KenClarkson4Prez »

haven't seen anyone mention it, but whats with Magnus' black boots? :o
other than the ugly wardrobe change, i am happy with issue one!

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

KenClarkson4Prez wrote:haven't seen anyone mention it, but whats with Magnus' black boots? :o
other than the ugly wardrobe change, i am happy with issue one!
Yeah, same here I noticed the black books... GOTTA be a colorist error. I'd say the white go go boots were infamous !!!

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I hope at some point they go back to white boots cause the black boots just ain't working.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

na too morbid go white boots go like space goast coast to coast

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Daniel Jackson wrote:I hope at some point they go back to white boots cause the black boots just ain't working.
Well knowing Shooter, there might be a reason behind the boot color or a plan to change it later (story side-plot) or just a straight up coloring error, wouldn't you think ?

Jim respects these characters and will ensure they are handled with care.

Or maybe an update, time for new boots kind of thing... I can't really tell at this point.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Knightt wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:I hope at some point they go back to white boots cause the black boots just ain't working.
Well knowing Shooter, there might be a reason behind the boot color or a plan to change it later (story side-plot) or just a straight up coloring error, wouldn't you think ?

Jim respects these characters and will ensure they are handled with care.

Or maybe an update, time for new boots kind of thing... I can't really tell at this point.
Manning made the boots black in the early days of Magnus, but I always thought it looked clunky (like he was wearing combat boots). To me, it detracts from the futuristic look of his battle tunic. Hopefully Shooter is just paying homage to that and makes the switch to the white boots soon.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Yeah gotta go with the white boots. Not sure why they changed that when everything else looks the same. Issue 2 out yet? Feels like a long wait