Does the Wii play GameCube games ?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Knightt
Master of the Dead Universes
Does the Wii play GameCube games ?

Post by Knightt »

Does the Wii play GameCube games ? If so... HOW ? Do I need an adapter, a GameCube controller ?

I say this as there are plenty of very cute games my daughter Alyssa could play (or I buy a GameCube but I would want the best graphics hooked up to a HDTV). And yes, I will readily admit that there are some COOL looking Rogue Leader Star Wars games for the GameCube that I could you know, dabble on from time to time but MAINLY for Alyssa.

Any idea on how much a GameCube runs these days, the local GameStop shot me down on the systems but have plenty of games and I figure it is time that seeing as the older kids have their consoles or computer games, that Alyssa get one as well. Now she pretty much owns the Wii but the Mario games that she loves are still very expensive for the Wii and not too bad on the GC.

Is getting one a good idea or if it plays on the Wii, go with that ?

tssgery
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by tssgery »

The Wii can play GameCube games, I think all you need is a controller. My son has done it and he did not need any kind of adapter.

You can probably get a GC for under $30 on ebay but why bother? Unless you want to use the GC and Wii at the same time... just use the Wii.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Yeah, you can play all of the GC games on the Wii. I would recommend getting a wireless GC controller if you don't already have one though. Most of the after market brands will work just fine.

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

yep it works pretty good I have to have my MC double dash

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Good info, thanks guys.

I have noticed GC used controllers for $15 (plus my Edge card 10% discount). I am assuming the GC games are discs ?

Are the graphics ok ? I would hope they look better... this is going through a HDTV.

Thoughts ?

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

The graphics are pretty good on most games (nothing like your PS3 stuff mind you). The cheapo titles can get a bit rough, but as long as you have fairly well known titles you should be ok.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

The Wii basically is a GameCube. Some of those graphics will hurt your eyes on a nice TV, but the Nintendo titles aren't so bad.

I used to have one of those wireless Wavebird controllers for my GC and really liked it. Not sure if those are still around.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

they are still out there :thumb: :thumb:

sanman
I can feel the custom bug

Post by sanman »

Anyone know how to connect a GameCube to a highdef TV? I thought it was as simple as purchasing a second HDMI cable but it’s not. At present I’m using the standard AV cables.

toddyboy
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by toddyboy »

sanman wrote:Anyone know how to connect a GameCube to a highdef TV? I thought it was as simple as purchasing a second HDMI cable but it’s not. At present I’m using the standard AV cables.
i don't think the game cube can upconvert to HD resolution. you're stuck using RCA. even the wii can only do up to 480P, and only uses component cables, not HDMI.

sanman

Post by sanman »

Some of my games like NCAA footbal offer a widescreen option, which I can't figure out out to select. It's on the list but greyed out. :?

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

I have figured out how to make all of this work (thank you to ALL for your suggestions). I now have two wireless controllers ($19 a piece new ? whew but better than the Wii getting yanked off the table) and quite a few games for Alyssa. I picked up PLENTY of games at Hastings for $3.95 a piece like

Winnie the Pooh ($3.95)
Jet Wave Racer (?) ($3.95)
Rogue Squadron II ($1.95 whoo hoo)
Mario Kart II ($3.95)
Luigi's Mansion ($14.00)
and I splurged on Alyssa today on Mario Party 4 but I know that she will LOVE this game as she plays the heck out of Mario Party 8 on the Wii.

If anyone can suggest any other good games (all ages) or would like to sell any of their GameCube games please post suggestions here and PM me offers on games. I'd love to have the box and instructions but I know how things go... I can find and print off just about any game instruction manual so that is not such a problem but the box makes it easier for Alyssa to keep track of what she has and be responsible to put them back.

I think that the Wii's ability to play GameCube games could make this a more family entertainment game system than the actual Wii games itself. I am VERY surprised at the quality of the graphics and the actual 'fun-ness' of the whole system. I may splurge for her birthday and get her a separate system that Alyssa can play in her room so as not to always take up the HDTV in the living room where the Wii resides. I think I can pick up a used GameCube for $30 at the local GameStop but I hate dealing with them on consoles, I don't think that they really check what they buy anyways. Great return policy but I don't need the hassle and who wants to buy their daughter something that is always getting 'broke'. That look of disappointment is not worth it.

I'll have to check Ebay as well...

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Oh wow, NUMEROUS consoles for $5.00 to $10.00 with shipping being the REAL price here. Well this is at least good to know.

But I would rather deal with anyone here on the board should anyone have something to offer. In the family ya know.

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

You'll probably want to get a memory card as well, as I don't believe that the games will save to the Wii's hard drive. I urge you, do not ever buy third party memory cards. Frustration is not worth the savings. I've personally had two die, and that's enough. There are several sizes, so look around if you get one.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

I finally got an adapter to hook up my gamecube to my computer monitor (I don't own a TV).

There may be a lot of cool games for gamecube, but I think I only have the Zelda games.

Every now and then I get a hankering for some Zelda. Good stuff.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Dr. Solar wrote:I finally got an adapter to hook up my gamecube to my computer monitor (I don't own a TV).

There may be a lot of cool games for gamecube, but I think I only have the Zelda games.

Every now and then I get a hankering for some Zelda. Good stuff.
They put a lot of work into all of the Zelda titles and it shows. I played Zelda: Majora's Mask last year and found the game to be just as fun as the games put out today.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

JohnnyRnR wrote:You'll probably want to get a memory card as well, as I don't believe that the games will save to the Wii's hard drive. I urge you, do not ever buy third party memory cards. Frustration is not worth the savings. I've personally had two die, and that's enough. There are several sizes, so look around if you get one.
I bought a Wii 2 gig card from Wal-mart where the guy told me that GameCube games would save just fine.

WRONG.

I have to go out and blow another 20 bucks for a GameCube memory card because yet, there is a need to save games like on Luigi's Mansion and Mario Game Party 4. grrrrrrrr it's always something and a six year old little girl doesnt understand stuff like this but she at least gave me a hug and said, 'we can do this on the weekend... now lets go play Hannah Montanna pinball'..... WHAAAAAA ? Who the hell bought THAT ?

:lol:

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Knightt wrote:Oh wow, NUMEROUS consoles for $5.00 to $10.00 with shipping being the REAL price here. Well this is at least good to know.

But I would rather deal with anyone here on the board should anyone have something to offer. In the family ya know.
Seriously, check out some pawn shops. I've seen GC's go for as little as 12 dollars. The controllers and memory cards are where you spend the big bucks.

Knightt

Post by Knightt »

Oddly enough, for a military town we do not have any pawn shops, versus three on every block in other military towns. :?

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

Yup, proprietary memory cards get you every time. Thanks Nintendo (and Sony, and Microsoft). At least the software is really cheap for almost everything worth grabbing.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

With the aftermarket GC cards, I had to physically hold the card a certain way in the slot in order for the game to actually save. If left alone, the "can't find memory card" message would invariably pop up. I thought this was just a problem with my GC, but it does the exact same thing on the Wii.

Very annoying.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

I have a external HDD for the wii games problem solved

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

superman-prime wrote:I have a external HDD for the wii games problem solved
Lots of room for games, that's for sure.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

only 250 gigs

1st Among Equals

Post by 1st Among Equals »

Am I they only one who has put the Homebrew Channel on his Wii? :?
It allows you to have any game from the old consoles for free. :thumb:
Last edited by 1st Among Equals on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:29:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.