Blackest Night #8 *spoilers*

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Lightning Strike
Silent from '04 to '07, then he strikes!
Blackest Night #8 *spoilers*

Post by Lightning Strike »

Wow, now THAT'S a great ending to a story. I absolutely loved the 4 pg. fold out centerfold. That was cool. There's so much going on in this issue that I'm going to have to re-read it to see if I missed anything. But here's the best part--In the DCU, dead is now dead. No more characters dying and then showing back up a year later. When someone dies, it's for good. Or at least, until Nekron is brought back again. :wink:

sanman
I can feel the custom bug

Post by sanman »

I loved it—about time an event delivered on promises. I was on the fence with Brightest Day but I’m definitely in now.

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

So, DC just wants to be Valiant-Lite?

sanman

Post by sanman »

xodacia81 wrote:So, DC just wants to be Valiant-Lite?
:?

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

sanman wrote:
MOTA ref...

BloodOfHeroes
We clutch at lies 'n pray they’re truths
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Sean Chen
Re: Blackest Night #8 *spoilers*

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

Lightning Strike wrote:But here's the best part--In the DCU, dead is now dead. No more characters dying and then showing back up a year later. When someone dies, it's for good. Or at least, until Nekron is brought back again. :wink:
So--how many dead heroes got resurrected before they made that rule?

(and, yes, I noticed your wink) :thumb:

sanman

Post by sanman »

xodacia81 wrote:
sanman wrote:
MOTA ref...
Oh, got ya. :oops:

sanman

Post by sanman »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:But here's the best part--In the DCU, dead is now dead. No more characters dying and then showing back up a year later. When someone dies, it's for good. Or at least, until Nekron is brought back again. :wink:

Check this link out:

http://comicbookrevolution.net/index.ph ... &Itemid=69

Lightning Strike

BloodOfHeroes wrote:

The characters shown in that pic, plus more not shown. We won't know for a while how many exactly. The most interesting resurrection was Deadman.

BloodOfHeroes

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

Thanks for the links. I don't read GL because it's not Alan Scott and I pretty much hate Hal Jordan as a character. I am very grateful that it appears Paul Kirk hasn't been *SQUEE* in this mini. :clap:

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:Thanks for the links. I don't read GL because it's not Alan Scott and I pretty much hate Hal Jordan as a character. I am very grateful that it appears Paul Kirk hasn't been *SQUEE* in this mini. :clap:
An Alan Scott fan, eh? Oh, you'll be jealous of me, then...I have a Martin Nodell sketch of Alan Scott holding up the lantern...done on the cover of Zero Hour # 0. I didn't even ask him for it. Just spoke to him for a few minutes and he did it, then handed it over to me. Very nice guy.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

xodacia81 wrote:
BloodOfHeroes wrote:Thanks for the links. I don't read GL because it's not Alan Scott and I pretty much hate Hal Jordan as a character. I am very grateful that it appears Paul Kirk hasn't been *SQUEE* in this mini. :clap:
An Alan Scott fan, eh? Oh, you'll be jealous of me, then...I have a Martin Nodell sketch of Alan Scott holding up the lantern...done on the cover of Zero Hour # 0. I didn't even ask him for it. Just spoke to him for a few minutes and he did it, then handed it over to me. Very nice guy.
Way cool. I've got a Zero Hour #0 that Marty painted a huge lantern on, but no Alan Scott. :thumb:

BloodOfHeroes

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

xodacia81 wrote:
I am jealous. I spent some time with Mr. Nodell and his wife at a con in NY, where I had a staff badge. I really enjoyed my time talking to them both. Later the same year, I'm a fanboy at WizardWorld Chicago and they wouldn't let Mrs. Nodell into the Guest area. She was insulting them, explaining how they had no class when she spotted me. She pointed me out and said that *I* knew how to treat a guest of honor. I was flattered that she remembered me and bought her a bottle of water. I hope your sketch is in a place of honor. :thumb:

Tim

Post by Tim »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
I am jealous. I spent some time with Mr. Nodell and his wife at a con in NY, where I had a staff badge. I really enjoyed my time talking to them both. Later the same year, I'm a fanboy at WizardWorld Chicago and they wouldn't let Mrs. Nodell into the Guest area. She was insulting them, explaining how they had no class when she spotted me. She pointed me out and said that *I* knew how to treat a guest of honor. I was flattered that she remembered me and bought her a bottle of water. I hope your sketch is in a place of honor. :thumb:
Carrie was a hoot. I remember the first time I met her and Marty at Daddy Jim's in High Point, NC. They used to hang out there with Daddy Jim on Sundays sometimes and both were always fun to talk to. Her personality was the total opposite of his. Marty was always very thoughtful and softspoken whereas Carrie didn't think twice about hollering across a room at someone. "HEY! MY HUSBAND MARTY CREATED THE GOLDEN AGE GREEN LANTERN" or "YOU BOYS FIND A LOT OF NICE THINGS AT DADDY JIM'S?" or, my favorite "MARTY LEMME GET YA A SANDWICH OR SOMETHIN'....YA GOTTA EAT, MARTY!". :lol:

I had the privelege of having a nice conversation on the phone with both of them once and it was a great experience. I was trying to get a comission from Mart, but sadly, his health wasn't in such a good place and he had to turn me down. Amazing people and terribly missed. :cry:

Tim

Post by Tim »

I've posted this before I think, but here's me and Marty at Megacon in Orlando in '97, I think.

Carrie is the lady in the green shirt in the background.

BloodOfHeroes

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

Tim wrote:Marty was always very thoughtful and softspoken whereas Carrie didn't think twice about hollering across a room at someone
Or in someone's face, if she was mad. :wink:

sanman

Post by sanman »

Lightning Strike wrote:
BloodOfHeroes wrote:

The characters shown in that pic, plus more not shown. We won't know for a while how many exactly. The most interesting resurrection was Deadman.
That was very surprising, I wonder how a not so quite Deadman will play out.

I’m really psyched about the original Hawk and Dove being back too.

Prelate1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by Prelate1 »

Lightning Strike wrote:
BloodOfHeroes wrote:

As far as the resurrections go, I found this quote from Geoff Johns at Wondercon 10

"When asked if other characters were permanently resurrected as a result of DC Comics' "Brightest Day," Johns responded that the only characters resurrected were the ones in the recent "Blackest Night" gatefold spread teased on the DC Source Blog."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=25579

So it may be just those 12 in the gatefold spread.

Did anyone notice that after the 12 are resurrected, Deadman is the only one still wearing a White Lantern ring? :hm:

sanman

Post by sanman »

Completely missed that—yeah, you can see it clearly in the panel where he takes off his mask. Nice call. :thumb:

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

hella cool issue i was very happy with the whole event in BN

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Tim wrote:
BloodOfHeroes wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
Carrie was a hoot. I remember the first time I met her and Marty at Daddy Jim's in High Point, NC. They used to hang out there with Daddy Jim on Sundays sometimes and both were always fun to talk to. Her personality was the total opposite of his. Marty was always very thoughtful and softspoken whereas Carrie didn't think twice about hollering across a room at someone. "HEY! MY HUSBAND MARTY CREATED THE GOLDEN AGE GREEN LANTERN" or "YOU BOYS FIND A LOT OF NICE THINGS AT DADDY JIM'S?" or, my favorite "MARTY LEMME GET YA A SANDWICH OR SOMETHIN'....YA GOTTA EAT, MARTY!". :lol:

I had the privelege of having a nice conversation on the phone with both of them once and it was a great experience. I was trying to get a comission from Mart, but sadly, his health wasn't in such a good place and he had to turn me down. Amazing people and terribly missed. :cry:
Great stuff and from the times I met him-although that first time when he did the sketch stands out-that sounds like both of them, because I did meet her once at a convention with him.

Lightning Strike

sanman wrote:
BloodOfHeroes wrote:

Check this link out:

http://comicbookrevolution.net/index.ph ... &Itemid=69
Some of his negatives either didn't bother me as much or I just didn't agree with them at all. But I think he was dead on with his positives.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
It is :thumb:

Lightning Strike

Prelate1 wrote:
Lightning Strike wrote:
BloodOfHeroes wrote:

As far as the resurrections go, I found this quote from Geoff Johns at Wondercon 10

"When asked if other characters were permanently resurrected as a result of DC Comics' "Brightest Day," Johns responded that the only characters resurrected were the ones in the recent "Blackest Night" gatefold spread teased on the DC Source Blog."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=25579

So it may be just those 12 in the gatefold spread.

Did anyone notice that after the 12 are resurrected, Deadman is the only one still wearing a White Lantern ring? :hm:
I didn't notice that. In regards to Johns' statement, notice how he said they were the only ones "resurrected"? That doesn't mean some other characters thought to be dead can't be found alive again (re: Batman)

sanman

Post by sanman »

Lightning Strike wrote: Some of his negatives either didn't bother me as much or I just didn't agree with them at all. But I think he was dead on with his positives.
I agree—I thought the author was very nitpicky. I enjoyed this series—a lot.

I over looked his negatives when I first posted the link. What I first saw were the lengthy synopsis and pictures. :oops:
Last edited by sanman on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:51:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.