Worldsbestcomics Gallery

Users can share photos of their VALIANT collections, your own museum for everyone to tour. No comments allowed by visitors in the gallery threads, just your own space to show and describe your own collection. Free admission for everyone to "The VALIANT Gallery".

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

worldsbestcomics
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set? Done.
A CGC 9.8 pre-Unity complete set?  Done.
Worldsbestcomics Gallery

Post by worldsbestcomics »

Pre-Unity

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by worldsbestcomics on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:38:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

worldsbestcomics

*SQUEE* wrote::bugeyed:
Thanks, Squee. Your reply will probably get deleted but I appreciate the thought because you know first-hand how difficult it is to complete a pre-Unity run in CGC 9.8 condition.

My passion for Valiant comics began shortly after they first began publishing. A friend of mine (the artist Cat Kenney) who worked at a comics store told me about the books and suggested that I get extra copies because they would probably become valuable. Boy was she right about that. I started buying/reading Valiants around the release of Magnus 5 with the Rai flipcover and I was hooked.

I have always been very picky about the condition of my comics. My LCS would frequently let me "cherry pick" my copies from the distributor's boxes and when I couldn't do that, Cat chose "perfect" copies for my file and handled them carefully.

I was planning on selling my books during the "boom" in the mid-90s but life intervened and my comic collection sat neglected (but meticulously stored) in a closet for many years. I started collecting again in 2004 and my Valiant collection really came to life again in 2006 when I sent a PM to "ValiantMan" on the CGC Boards for some advice on selling "mint" pre-Unity Valiants. Greg convinced me that the best way to get true value for the books if they were as nice as I said, would be to get them graded. So I did. :thumb:

I also joined the Boards here and reread the books. That was it, I was hooked all over. And when I saw that nobody had yet completed a CGC 9.8 run of pre-Unity books, the collector in me rose to the challenge.

Most of the books in this run came from my original owner collection. I used some extra 9.8 copies to trade for some of the books that I didn't have so Greg and Rico and Shin all deserve some credit for helping me complete the first CGC 9.8 pre-Unity Valiant set.

worldsbestcomics

Variants

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by worldsbestcomics on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:35:07 am, edited 9 times in total.

worldsbestcomics

Valiant really gave birth to the variant craze back in the 90s. But, I thought that they went about it in the right way for the most part. The gold issues were initially giveaways for promoting Valiant comics in some way, not just a gimmick to get completist collectors to buy multiple copies of the same book. My LCS ordered enough Valiants that they always got a gold book to use as a promo and they knew that they could count on me to come up with something.

I created a giant Rai 0 poster with art only (no logo) because I thought that cover was the most beautiful comic I had ever seen. Anybody who saw that poster, asked the LCS owner about it if they weren't already familiar with Valiant books. :thumb: I made a Rai 0 sweatshirt and a "ValiantVision" Ninjak 1 sweatshirt that looked like Ninjak was jumping out of my chest if you were wearing the goggles. Those were fun times.

Valiant was also the first to publish the "zero" issues. I wish I hadn't needed to cut coupons or cards out of my Magnus and Harbinger books in order to get the zero issues. But at least Valiant later did a wide re-release of both zero issues so that everybody could get an affordable copy to read.
Last edited by worldsbestcomics on Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:39:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

worldsbestcomics

This was the first piece of original art that I ever purchased - the color cover to the Rai Companion by Sean Chen & Ralph Reese with colors by Eric Lusk. I use this as my avatar.

worldsbestcomics

I always admired the Valiant "style" of art and how they maintained a consistent look and feel throughout all their books - at least all the pre-Unity stuff. The cover to Rai 0 is one of my favorite comic covers of all time.

I originally had some cover art posted in the spot but I sold it to finance the shipping for a project I was working on. Eventually, I would love to have a cover from each of the core Valiant titles.
Last edited by worldsbestcomics on Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:24:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

worldsbestcomics

Unity

ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by worldsbestcomics on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:55:14 am, edited 7 times in total.

worldsbestcomics

I loved the way Unity brought continuity to the Valiant Universe when it was released. The use of free comics to get readers to try something new was a brilliant marketing move and I have to admit I was amazed at the number of new Valiant readers that seemed to pop up overnight at my LCS.

George was the first to complete a CGC 9.8 collection of Unity books. My run is the second.
Last edited by worldsbestcomics on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:59:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

worldsbestcomics

Deathmate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by worldsbestcomics on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:31:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

worldsbestcomics

Deathmate was a series that I had mixed feelings about when it was first published. I liked the idea of a crossover with Image because I wanted to see some of my favorite Valiant characters drawn by some of my favorite comic artists. But, the story failed to hold my interest, particularly when there was such a delay in getting the Red issue published.

The 9.9 copy of the Comic Defense Preview is the first (and currently only) comic that I have submitted to CGC myself and received a mint grade. There is not currently a spot on the CGC Registry for the Epilogue white printing error variant.

I named this set "Deathmate: Opinions vary. RQB liked it." on the CGC Registry and dedicated it to Rubik's Q-Bert.
Last edited by worldsbestcomics on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:51:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

worldsbestcomics

Board Projects

One of the things that make the Valiant boards special is the projects. Here are my copies.

ImageImageImage

worldsbestcomics

Harbinger

ImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage
Last edited by worldsbestcomics on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:49:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

worldsbestcomics

I thought Valiant comics were interesting until I read Harbinger 1. Then, I thought they were amazing. This is the first complete run of Harbinger in CGC 9.8 condition.

worldsbestcomics
Re: Worldsbestcomics Gallery

Art Covers

Clayton Crain painted this recreation of his Shadowman 16 Glow-in-the-Dark variant with fluorescent acrylic paint.

I got this painting of my son Robbie as a souvenir of us going to Emerald City ComiCon together earlier this year.