Reading "RAI"

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

slym2none
a typical message board assassin
Reading "RAI"

Post by slym2none »

I keep forgetting, but no more - during this last hiatus, I had a chance to read every issue of Rai (including the Magnus flipbooks) back to back (thanks in part to Elveen, 'cos he hooked me up with the few remaining common issues I was missing.)

I have to say, it was pretty good, although I didn't read the Magnus issues of the Malev war, so I didn't get the full story there. The "new" Rai wasn't bad, I liked how Spylocke was training him, and he seemed more in the spirit (pardon the pun) of the "real" Rai.

One thing I have to say I groaned at was the line between Obadiah and the last "real" Rai, Tohru's son Takashi, when they were children, fighting over a ninja toy. The line, IIRC, was "Obie want shinobi?" It was too bad that Takashi turned out to be such an arrogant, pompous *SQUEE*. Tohru would never have let his son act like that, had he but lived.

Overall, as a series, I'd have to give it a solid "B."

-slym (thanks again, C.C.!)

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character
Re: Reading "RAI"

Post by greg »

slym2none wrote:One thing I have to say I groaned at was the line between Obadiah and the last "real" Rai, Tohru's son Takashi, when they were children, fighting over a ninja toy. The line, IIRC, was "Obie want shinobi?"
I think he meant Old Ben Shinobi.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

greg wrote:
slym2none wrote:One thing I have to say I groaned at was the line between Obadiah and the last "real" Rai, Tohru's son Takashi, when they were children, fighting over a ninja toy. The line, IIRC, was "Obie want shinobi?"
I think he meant Old Ben Shinobi.
Obi Wan was a ninja??? If that's the case, wouldn't the "blade" of his light saber be slightly curved???

Man, Greg helping me de-rail my own thread, right out of the gate!

:cloud9: :lol: :thumb:

-slym

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

slym2none wrote:I keep forgetting, but no more - during this last hiatus, I had a chance to read every issue of Rai (including the Magnus flipbooks) back to back (thanks in part to Elveen, 'cos he hooked me up with the few remaining common issues I was missing.)

I have to say, it was pretty good, although I didn't read the Magnus issues of the Malev war, so I didn't get the full story there. The "new" Rai wasn't bad, I liked how Spylocke was training him, and he seemed more in the spirit (pardon the pun) of the "real" Rai.

One thing I have to say I groaned at was the line between Obadiah and the last "real" Rai, Tohru's son Takashi, when they were children, fighting over a ninja toy. The line, IIRC, was "Obie want shinobi?" It was too bad that Takashi turned out to be such an arrogant, pompous *SQUEE*. Tohru would never have let his son act like that, had he but lived.

It was the least I could do for you my friend.

I think a soild B is good. I remember thinking that it was too bad that the series ended at #3, I think there was some more there that they coudl have done.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Elveen wrote:
slym2none wrote:I keep forgetting, but no more - during this last hiatus, I had a chance to read every issue of Rai (including the Magnus flipbooks) back to back (thanks in part to Elveen, 'cos he hooked me up with the few remaining common issues I was missing.)

I think a soild B is good. I remember thinking that it was too bad that the series ended at #3, I think there was some more there that they coudl have done.
Heh - now I will have to track down the Magnus issues where Rai became integral to the title. And of course, I'll have to get the issues in between..... seems I'll be working on a full VH-1 set soon!

:D

-slym

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

slym2none wrote:
Elveen wrote:

Heh - now I will have to track down the Magnus issues where Rai became integral to the title. And of course, I'll have to get the issues in between..... seems I'll be working on a full VH-1 set soon!

-slym
About time. :lol:

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

Elveen wrote:
slym2none wrote:seems I'll be working on a full VH-1 set soon!

-slym
About time. :lol:
SHH! Don't tell anyone... but I had a full set up to Chaos Effect once, beautiful, 9.6 or cleaner copies of most ALL of 'em! Then I sold them.....

:oops:

-slym (still wonders what happened to VF.com userID Manowar Class)

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

So, that's all the love Rai gets? I'm hurt...

-slym (but Tohru burned)

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

slym2none wrote:So, that's all the love Rai gets? I'm hurt...

-slym (but Tohru burned)
Rai gets plenty of love. It's that whole Future Force thing. That, not so much...

turborip
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by turborip »

Coming in as a complete noob, I always thought Rai was a great character in concept. I just read the TPB, and even though certain aspects of the Valiant universe have been spoiled for me with the inclusion of Rai 0 (and the fact that every noob collection has a copy of Rai and the Future Force 9, even mine), I found it to be a very fun read and I plan on getting them all. I really liked the concept of future technology mixed with older Japanese tradition and garb.

I'm pretty sure I know this from my research, but I'll ask anyways: Was the material in the Magnus/Rai flipbboks ever reprinted? Doesn't matter in the end, as i want the Magnus books too.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

turborip wrote: I'm pretty sure I know this from my research, but I'll ask anyways: Was the material in the Magnus/Rai flipbboks ever reprinted? Doesn't matter in the end, as i want the Magnus books too.
Here ya go.

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/issue.asp?cn=945

turborip
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by turborip »

Daniel Jackson wrote:
turborip wrote: I'm pretty sure I know this from my research, but I'll ask anyways: Was the material in the Magnus/Rai flipbboks ever reprinted? Doesn't matter in the end, as i want the Magnus books too.
Here ya go.

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/issue.asp?cn=945
Oh cool, I didn't even think about the TPB! Thanks for that!

BloodOfHeroes
We clutch at lies 'n pray they’re truths
We clutch at lies 'n pray they’re truths
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

greg wrote:I think he meant Old Ben Shinobi.
With all due respect, I'm not sure you know *SQUEE* from Shinobi.

:wink:

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:
greg wrote:I think he meant Old Ben Shinobi.
With all due respect, I'm not sure you know *SQUEE* from Shinobi.

:wink:
That's even worse than the joke used between the kids...

:roll: :lol: :P

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

terreth
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by terreth »

Even though Tohru was the best and Takao was OK but I don't think is potential as a character was ever realized (and maybe it was never meant to be) Obadiah had tremndous potential.

Obadiah had energy abilities through Leeja, and though they were diffrent from the original Rai's it did give him some continuity with them. Plus they were bringing back Japan as a distinct and computerized nation.

Just imagine if the new Valiant continued with Obi and Shooter wrote him?

In conclusion, it seems to be me that Tohru was the best and needed to be because of his role in the Valiant universe. He was to be the great hero of Unity, was a type of prophesy of the hero Bloodshot would be and thus a fitting origin for the Rai's (4th dimensional foreshadowing you might say), and a Valiant's first original character he established the validity and quality of the whole universe, i.e. it was not just Gold Key again. Thus Tohru was essential and awesome but was only designed to take a fall. He also was awesome because Shooter wrote him.

Poor Takao didn't have Shooter writing him and he may have only been a bridge to his son.

Obadiah had great potential and I got the impression they were trying to merge the model for the Rais (Bloodshot) with the tradition of the Rais (Grandmother's protectors) in one global hero. Too bad he never had shooter write him.

So true to Tohru, the history of Rai comics is great but tragic.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

I always thought Spylocke was a great supporting character for Rai. I really liked how they took to him Africa, and had him teach Obi.

I remember reading this series as it came out, and I thought this was such a cool cover.

Spylocke guarding the BOH's and waiting for Obi to show up one day to complete his training.

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

Are you really on your way to another full run, Slym. If so, let me know.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

TKWill wrote:Are you really on your way to another full run, Slym. If so, let me know.
Eh?

-slym
Some people spend their whole lives believing in fairy tales, usually because they don't want to give up the fabulous prizes.

slym2none

Post by slym2none »

turborip wrote:the fact that every noob collection has a copy of Rai and the Future Force 9
Well, that, Rai #0, and X-Force #1 and X-Men #1 A-E covers are a pre-requisite for all beginner collections. Must-haves, even!

:lol: :twisted: :thumb:

-slym

turborip
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by turborip »

slym2none wrote:
turborip wrote:the fact that every noob collection has a copy of Rai and the Future Force 9
Well, that, Rai #0, and X-Force #1 and X-Men #1 A-E covers are a pre-requisite for all beginner collections. Must-haves, even!

:lol: :twisted: :thumb:

-slym
As long as it's all 4 or 5 copies of X-Force 1, sealed in the bag with the 'awesome' Liefield cards, right? :thumb: :lol: :wink:

risingspirit52
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Rai
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by risingspirit52 »

Has anybody noticed that Rai 2 and Rai 3 have the same page? I believe it's page 20. It's the fight between Commander Nakadai and Makiko.

ilzuccone
Valiant fan since: VEI

Post by ilzuccone »

risingspirit52 wrote:Has anybody noticed that Rai 2 and Rai 3 have the same page? I believe it's page 20. It's the fight between Commander Nakadai and Makiko.
:lol: :lol: whaaaaat?! pic or gtfo (my comics a buried or i would go look)

iwantvaliant
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by iwantvaliant »

ilzuccone wrote:
risingspirit52 wrote:Has anybody noticed that Rai 2 and Rai 3 have the same page? I believe it's page 20. It's the fight between Commander Nakadai and Makiko.
:lol: :lol: whaaaaat?! pic or gtfo (my comics a buried or i would go look)
I just looked and can't find it. Pics please.
My podcast reviews the Valiant trades: http://vepodcast.wordpress.com/
And my timeline on the original Valiant Universe: http://valiantfans.com/vctimeline/

omega_override
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2014

Post by omega_override »

Speaking of the Magnus flipbooks, I kind of found it rather weird that they weren't included in the Valiant Masters release. I mean if they can manage to squeeze Turok and Solar into the X-O omnibus, I'd don't know why they'd have a problem with Magnus

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

omega_override wrote:Speaking of the Magnus flipbooks, I kind of found it rather weird that they weren't included in the Valiant Masters release. I mean if they can manage to squeeze Turok and Solar into the X-O omnibus, I'd don't know why they'd have a problem with Magnus
That cannot republish any book that was based on the GK properties. If there is another book that just happens to have those characters in it, they can.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.