First Valiant and when did you give up?

How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

I remember, in early 1992, being HORRIFIED to see Solar #10 on the stands for $3.95, when standard books were $1.25. ;) Of course, now I gladly pay $4 for them. :)

RyanMcLelland
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: Since Super Mario SE #1
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by RyanMcLelland »

My first books were the Unity issues. My best friend had them and loved them...so we got into a comic book trade and I strongarmed him with a deal he couldn't refuse. I lost some expensive titles...and gained these Valiants. It all went downhill from there.

I must have stopped somewhere around Harbinger #29. It wasn't just Valiant...it was all comic books in general. Somehow college life...girls and beers...were more important then those comic books.

It all turned around in the end though...when I picked up a good 50% of the Valiant books for a nickel apiece.

RyanMcLelland
Valiant fan since: Since Super Mario SE #1
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by RyanMcLelland »

And oh yeah...

I did restart collecting Valiants somewhere around Quantum and Woody...13? I picked them up along with the first two Unity 2000's...then it all went downhill again.

fury143
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by fury143 »

I remember the day I bought my first valiant. I was searching for a Spawn comic and some image titles. The comic dealer said I should give Harbinger # 8 a try and I was hooked. I got the rest of the unity issues the next week. Then saved for months to get the $30++ issues forHarbingers 1-5 and Solar 1-10. Yes, I one of the idiots who spent $30 an issue I admit it. But the reads were worth it to me at the time. My last issues were the second month after birthquake. I had all the regular books until then. At birthquake I hated the stories and figured I take a year off and let these issues hit the bargin bin. But life happens and I never got around to picking them up. I just last month started to try to complete my vhi collection. I was cleaning my basement and saw a solar issue which prompted my interest in find out how it ended.

Ax
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by Ax »

thespeculatorboy wrote:I remember when i stopped reading the valiants, when magnus had that gay armor,
Gay armor? Is that what that was used for? You must have been disappointed when he stopped wearing that flaming little red skirt. :P

jordan silo
Account has been locked.

Post by jordan silo »

I remember when I stopped VALIANT collecting... It was the beginning of the year 1995. Reason why was because the value of VALIANT was getting bad :!: (back then I was for the value and for the story) So that was the reason why I discontinued! :(

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall
My Valiant Story

Post by Heath »

The first Valiant comic I bought was an issue of Shadowman. It was either #6 or #7, but I know it was right after Unity. I was in college at the time and the owner of the LCS was a big fan of Valiant already and was telling me about Shadowman. I had never even heard of Valiant before, but living in Louisiana I was interested enough in a cajun superhero to check it out. I was hooked and became a major Valiant fan. I went back and bought all of the Valiant back issues he had in stock (all at cover price including all of Unity and a few pre-Unity) and continued to buy everything Valiant put out.

Shadowman became one of my favorite comic books of all time and I remained a fan of the book until Acclaim screwed it up. I even have a tattoo of the Shadoman symbol on my ankle. I reviewed Shadowman for the Valiant Visions newsletter and Bob Hall even quoted from one of my reviews on his web site which was quite an honor.

I'm still missing some of the rarest of the early books, but at least I have the TPBs so I can read the story. I continued as a reader all the way through Unity 2000 #3. I wasn't able to buy everything later in the VH2 era, but I kept up with what was going on in the universe.

I don't need to explain how VH2 paled in comparisson to the original, and I resented the way they messed with some of my favorite characters such as X-O, and especially Shadowman, but here were still some good books. Quantum & Woody was the best of VH2.

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

welcome!
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

oldjello
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Rai (before the Future Force)

Post by oldjello »

My first was Harbinger #7 (Because the cover is one of my favorites) and I stopped around the conclusion of DeathMate.

Lately, I have been collecting pre-Unity and filling in my commons by searching the bargain bins.

OneArmedBandit
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by OneArmedBandit »

My first Valiant was X-O Manowar #1. Saw the cover at a comic shop I had never been in before on a college campus tour of Bloomington Indiana (Go Hoosiers) The shop was caledl the 25th Century Five and Dime (or something like it) I was hooked on X-O and didn't notice any other Valiant titles until Unity hit, then I was scrambling to get all the pre-unity stuff. I stuck with it until X-O final issue when it was all a dream finale. Man was I *SQUEE*!!! I almost quit comics altogether after that. I did pick up all the VH2 X-O's but that left me a bit cold. But look at me now, a comic junkie again.

SolarFan777
Valiant fan since: Harbinger 4 release
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar

Post by SolarFan777 »

My first comics were Solar #1 and X-O #1. I jumped into Harbinger about issue 3 or 4 and had to pay big bucks for the earlier issues on the wall. By the time unity was here I was getting every title except Magnus and Rai. I stopped collecting right before Chaos Effect. Cold turkey, with a couple kids in the house by then I couldn't afford it $$$. :(

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

My first issue was Solar#1.The art, the story, never seen or read a comic like this before.Saw a add for Magnus in the book, thought to myself" If that book is anything like Solar I have to have it". Next day went back to the store and picked up the first three issues of Magnus.( Went back the next day to pick up three more to cut the cards out to get #0). I collected up to the very end of VH1. Collected every "over the counter" issue of VH2 & 3, but only because I was a anal completest. Never realy got any enjoyment from those books like VH1.
I was ready to sell everything from my Valiant collection until I "discoverd" Greg's site. I'm still going to sell my VH2 & 3 junk( wast of Mylar!). But as for VH1, I'm going to re-read and enjoy each and every issue.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

First Valiant comic: Super Mario #1 or Magnus #1, depending on how you look at it.

Last "new" Valiant comic: Shadowman #31

Secret Weapons had lost me with a "direction change". The future titles had lost me with a change in creators. The other books didn't impress me enough to collect them within in the 2-8 issues I gave each of them after Shooter left.

The two titles I had left were Eternal Warrior and Shadowman , both I considered dropping to save money since I wasn't really following the rest of the books (this is just after Chaos Effect). I dropped Eternal Warrior at 27 because the change in direction/creative teams gave me an "out". I dropped Shadowman because they got rid of Master Darque (a factor in dropping EW too) and the first two issues after that didn't blow me away.

Later I got the back issues I missed of both Shadowman and EW. The funny thing is that with Eternal Warrior, it was merciful that I dropped it. I hated the next plotline. The next few issues of Shadowman were actually really good.

dantheman
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dantheman »

I already posted some of this once but my first experience with Valiant was back in 94, me and my father were in a comic shop in SA and we picked up a copy of Turok and EW. I think it was Turok #12, can't remember which EW it was... been a long time...

anyway I was hooked after that... I stayed with the VH1 universe till the bitter end... I picked back up with VH2 but was pretty dissapointed in them... but stuck with them mostly out of my love for Q+W (see my quotes at the bottom of my posts). I stayed with VH2 until Q+W dissapeared and didn't start trying to collect again until about a month or so ago, when I came across some old Nijak comics I had stored away.
:kidaround:
www.myspace.com/lysband - Someday people will see me and say "Hey, aren't you that guy who sang that song?"

poe

Post by poe »

My first Valiant was Harbinger #1 I bought through a suggestion from Westfield Comics. I really didn't start collecting though until X-O Manowar #10.

When I stopped collecting I was collecting every title from Valiant. I stopped about 2 or 3 months before Birth Quake. I heard about Birth Quake being a major shake up and Valiant ending a whole bunch of titles which I like to some degree.

I was fed up with companies not trying to stick with titles, and trying to fix them with good writing,instead they ended them or just screwed the titles up for the sake of something new.

I stopped collecting comics period at this time, it was the same with all the other companies. I had had enough.

I just started collecting again very recentally. I really am enjoying rereading the Valiants and picking up what I missed to.POE

myron
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

poe wrote:My first Valiant was Harbinger #1 I bought through a suggestion from Westfield Comics. I really didn't start collecting though until X-O Manowar #10.

When I stopped collecting I was collecting every title from Valiant. I stopped about 2 or 3 months before Birth Quake. I heard about Birth Quake being a major shake up and Valiant ending a whole bunch of titles which I like to some degree.

I was fed up with companies not trying to stick with titles, and trying to fix them with good writing,instead they ended them or just screwed the titles up for the sake of something new.

I stopped collecting comics period at this time, it was the same with all the other companies. I had had enough.

I just started collecting again very recentally. I really am enjoying rereading the Valiants and picking up what I missed to.POE
I resemble that comment...just change harb 1 to magnus, westfield to my LCS at the time and just before birthquake to just after chaos effect... :D
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

mrwoogieman
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.
All this talk of 'snipping' is making me keep my legs crossed.

Post by mrwoogieman »

I'm not sure what my first Valiant purchased new was, although if I had to guess it was after magnus 8 (I missed the whole coupon thing and scrambled to get back issues like everyone else) and before Magnus 12 because I remember buying a couple of those right off the stand and was glad to get them. So, without looking at the release dates, I believe Solar was under issue 10, the first few Rai were out, Harbinger may have had a coupon book or two to go (I traded a full set of Star Wars Dark Empire, which was a hot set, for some clipped coupon Harby issues I was missing), bought xo from the get go I believe, and shadowman too.

stuck with ALL of the titles until I started law school in summer of '93.
:hm: