VALIANT COVER ART ON EBAY - SOLAR #5 SIGNED BY BWS

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

hillmanthe2nd
VALIANT COVER ART ON EBAY - SOLAR #5 SIGNED BY BWS

Post by hillmanthe2nd »

POSTED SOME VALIANT COVERS UP ON EBAY...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... =3&rows=50

ENDING ON SUNDAY

tssgery
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by tssgery »

I have to admit that the Solar cover looks very nice indeed. I'll have to see where the bidding goes on this one as it would be nice to add to my collection...

hillmanthe2nd

Post by hillmanthe2nd »

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

This is the color cover to the comic right? Not the trading card art?
I only ask because when I got the Solar #7 color it turned out to be from the card not the comic.
(based on size and some very subtle differences in the art)
DAN
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

riptide_soccer
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by riptide_soccer »

Sweet stuff...that Solar #5 was always one of my favorites....
I am the Fist and the Steel.....

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

thespeculatorboy wrote:is that the original art for solar 5? because i took a look at other original arts from solar 3 and some bws weapon x on this message board and they seem to be in black and white.
It was the orginal color art. Not the B&W pencil & ink art.

R Daneel
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger

Post by R Daneel »

thespeculatorboy wrote:
x-omatic wrote:
thespeculatorboy wrote:is that the original art for solar 5? because i took a look at other original arts from solar 3 and some bws weapon x on this message board and they seem to be in black and white.
whats the difference?
In general ... an artist typically draws in pencils, which ends up simply black and white. Then the colorist is given a reproduction of the finished pencils (after being inked?) to color. In this case, you have reproduced inks and pencils, which someone colored.

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

thespeculatorboy wrote:
x-omatic wrote:
whats the difference?
Orginal B&W art is the actual pencils by BWS and then Inked by Bob Layton. Normally it is done on 11x17 comic art board. (many of BWS pages are on Marvel paperby the way)

This artwork would be copied onto water color paper and mounted on a cardstock type board. It would then be colored by another person. Usually this color art is a smaller size than the orginal. Janet Jackson did the colors for this cover. She used Doc Martin water color inks mostly. Valiant was the first to do this type of coloring and it was developed by Janet Jackson and Jim Shooter.

I hope this helps.

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

I actually think that this was the color artwork for the trading card and not the comic. The background matches the card more than the comics does.

JMHO

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

thespeculatorboy wrote:
x-omatic wrote:I actually think that this was the color artwork for the trading card and not the comic. The background matches the card more than the comics does.

JMHO
if you wouldnt mind, could you send me a pic of the card?

thespeculatorboy@yahoo.com
Sent you the scan

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

I agree with xomatic, this is from the card. Most of hillmans colors are from the cards. i thought we all knew that...god i hope the buyer knows!

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

Well, I'll chime in.

The truth is that this is a stunning piece, whether it was used for the card or the cover. The BWS signiture is authentic (if it is not hillman was duped too - this is very unlikely). I was watching this auction, and my top price was very close to the selling price - and I didn't care if it was from the card or the comic.

There is evdence to suggest either view, card/cover. The "known" card art (where special coloring was done just for the cards) I have seen was on smaller stock. But, two (I assume) impartial individuals have stated their opinion, based on visual evidence (correlating the images in question) that the piece closely matches the card.

Now, they are working off a pretty small scan of the art. And, assuming the art was reused for both the cover and the card, shrinking down the 10x13 to 3x5 (or whatever the card size is) versus the comic book size shrinkage, could possibly play some tricks on the eye.

Personally, I would like for Hillman to do a visual analysis of all three pieces, since he has the art in front of him. The two individuals who have attempted it already should tell Hillman what they saw to sway their opinion.

I think Hillman's opinion on this is trustowrthy, since he really has very little to lose. The value of this piece is in its size and the provinance it came directly from a Valiant source, and is authenticly from Valiant. Not to mention his experience with dealing with this art. Further, he's likely to find a bidder near the sell price, me included (it falls below $911.12 :-).

All IMHO. By the way, do we know who the colorist was? Wasn't JJ doing almost all the coloring at this time? Can we ask her?

R Daneel
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger

Post by R Daneel »

kenshikenji wrote:The art is wonderful, but still the provenance of it being the actual color art for the solar 5 cover is important to me especially when im shelling out $400+ for the art. im about to pull out of the deal, if you were the second highest bidder, you should email him and see if you can purchase it.
I understand your take on it, I really do. Personally, it is of little difference to me. I bid, but only about half of what the winning bid was, I like it either way, as I'm sure you do. Can't we just put this all behind us, and send me the colors? Please?

:wink:

ckb

Post by ckb »

I understand as well.

I wish I could get the big art scan you are talking about - I can't find it on hillman's site, which appears down (or I am using the wrong address).

There are two other bidders who bid more than I was willing to pay, so I doubt it will fall to me. I didn't get a bid in - my snipe didn't go off since the price had already gone over my bid by the last 10 seconds.

sonicdan
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa

Post by sonicdan »

I've finally taken a good look at the card and comic and compared them
to the scan in the auction. From what I see the art in the auction is for the card.
While both are fantastic, I can see that the significance of the
cover color art would be much greater.
DAN
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart