looking for The Maxx.

Non-VALIANT items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

JohnnyRnR wrote:Was Rainbow Brite part of the Star line? I hope not. I already feel goofy having Care Bears and Barbie last issues on my very casual Marvel last issue project list. That said, got any Beauty and the Beast?
I've got at least the first issue of that Beauty and the Beast series, the one with the Deodato art, I forget the company at the moment.

Rainbow Brite was DC, I'm pretty sure.

GGSAE
Getting that sauce across the border ain't easy.
Re: maxx

Post by GGSAE »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
Equalizir wrote:
Squirrel wrote:
Equalizir wrote:
GGSAE wrote: They can be had pretty easily...just stay away from the ashcans, got enough damn competition for them!
whats so great about the ashcans?
nothing thier all crap, stick to the regular run....nope, all poo...you don't want them...keep moving :hi:
maybe ill just get all the ashcans lol
Haha, you'll be shelling out a lot more cash than you ever thought you would for The Maxx if you go after the aschans. Image released 4 different colored versions of number 1, 2 and 3. The colors represent different print runs with respective demand for each. There's a few of us here that collect the ashcans. I'd pay 2k right now if someone had a NM set for sale.
All 12? ;)

$2,000?

(yer dreamin'...:))

I figure it this way:

Blues -

#1 - $50
#2 - $50
#3 -$100

Reds -

#1 - $100
#2 - $150
#3 - $200

Yellows -

#1 - $75 (I think this price is wrong, but it's "typical" at the moment.)
#2 - $200
#3 - $250

Blacks -

#1 - $500
#2 - $500
#3 - $500

That's for actual raw NM copies, books that would grade 9.4 at CGC.

For slabbed books 9.4 or better, you can double the number for the blacks, and add 50% for the rest.

It is my opinion...after watching these books for well over a decade....that the blacks do not exist in any quantity in 9.4 or better. I'm guessing maybe 2-3 copies, tops. My best #2....out of 10....was an 8.5. Maybe there's one that could grade 9.0, depending on the grader, but certainly nothing better.
You didn't need to break it down like that :lol:...and besides just because i have money to afford a full set doesn't mean i should just throw my money away, not that a NM complete set will ever show up...i do remember reading about someone finding a full set on ebay years back...

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

GGSAE wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
Equalizir wrote:
Squirrel wrote:
Equalizir wrote: whats so great about the ashcans?
nothing thier all crap, stick to the regular run....nope, all poo...you don't want them...keep moving :hi:
Haha, you'll be shelling out a lot more cash than you ever thought you would for The Maxx if you go after the aschans. Image released 4 different colored versions of number 1, 2 and 3. The colors represent different print runs with respective demand for each. There's a few of us here that collect the ashcans. I'd pay 2k right now if someone had a NM set for sale.
All 12? ;)

$2,000?

I figure it this way:

Blues -

#1 - $50
#2 - $50
#3 -$100

Reds -

#1 - $100
#2 - $150
#3 - $200

Yellows -

#2 - $200
#3 - $250

Blacks -

#1 - $500
#2 - $500
#3 - $500

For slabbed books 9.4 or better, you can double the number for the blacks, and add 50% for the rest.

It is my opinion...after watching these books for well over a decade....that the blacks do not exist in any quantity in 9.4 or better. I'm guessing maybe 2-3 copies, tops. My best #2....out of 10....was an 8.5. Maybe there's one that could grade 9.0, depending on the grader, but certainly nothing better.
You didn't need to break it down like that :lol:...and besides just because i have money to afford a full set doesn't mean i should just throw my money away, not that a NM complete set will ever show up...i do remember reading about someone finding a full set on ebay years back...
Really?? :bigeyes:

Wow.

I wonder how I missed that!

Hey, look, *I* don't have a full set, and I've been searching for these little basturds for well over a decade now.

:thumb:

I am genuinely surprised at how few have been driven out of the woodwork by the Black sales.

Here's the breakdown so far this year, keeping in mind that there were probably TEN Maxx Ashcan sales....total....last year, the year before, and the year before that:

#1 Blue - by far the most common Maxx ashcan. At least 7 sales, including 1 of mine, since January.

#1 Red - FOUR sales since January; 1 in Jan, 2 in May (both mine, one Second Chance) and 1 a week or so ago for $125 BIN.

#1 Yellow - THREE sales, including 1 from UK, one $50 BIN from Grunt Splatter, and one $50 private sale to me from Grunt Splatter

#1 Black - no sales in 5 years (to my knowledge); 2 on the census in 9.0. Last sale for $210 in 2003.

#2 Blue - 3 sales (including one pending); 1 on eBay in Feb to me, 1 last week, and 1 still up.

#2 Red - no sales in 10 years that I know of

#2 Yellow - no sales in 10 years that I know of

#2 Black - 4 offered for sale on eBay, 2 closed early for unknown reasons. 1 in Jan (closed), my 8.5 in April, my raw F/VF in May, and another one in April 8.0 which was yanked. These four are the ONLY four I have EVER seen offered on eBay. Two (2) copies on the census, one in 8.5 (highest) one in 8.0

#3 Blue - no sales in 10 years that I know of

#3 Red - 1 sale that I bought back in Feb.

#3 Yellow - no sales in 10 years that I know of

#3 Black - no sales in 10 years that I know of. One (1) copy on the census, 7.5 (mine.)

So, yeah, just insanely, insanely rare. Combine that with the fact that everyone DESPISED Image AND their lateness AND their endless variants AND their endless ashcans, and the books did not have a high surviveability rate. Outside of the hoard I bought 5 years ago, I think I've bought....maybe....5 ashcans total, and I've been looking....HARD.

Like I said, it surprises me on one level that the $500 and $311 sales of Maxx Blacks have not brought more out of the woodwork, but on another level, it doesn't surprise me at all.

When you think about it.....we have already had THREE of the 12 that had never (to my knowledge) appeared on eBay appear in the last 5 months (#1 Yellow, #2 Blue, #2 Black) that weren't mine, so I guess that's the "drawing out" that there is to be done.

Let's be honest, here....when a 1993 Image book sells for $510...in 8.5 no less!...that's headline making newsworthy.

Frankly, I expected a flood....they were NOT produced in numbers one could consider "rare"....but, it appears that myself, Grunt Splatter, and MAYBE the "Grails" guy on the CGC board are the only people with ashcans in any significant amounts.

So, whether people just tossed them, or there's a bunch hidden in storage somewhere (not likely, given their original printruns) they're just rare, rare, rare books of one of the most popular Image series of all time.

:cloud9:

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

JohnnyRnR wrote:Was Rainbow Brite part of the Star line? I hope not. I already feel goofy having Care Bears and Barbie last issues on my very casual Marvel last issue project list. That said, got any Beauty and the Beast?
I SO shouldn't say this, but the later Star issues (1988-89) are INCREDIBLY rare, especially in high grade.

whovianone
...it hurts so much ...my brain hurts!

Post by whovianone »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
I SO shouldn't say this, but the later Star issues (1988-89) are INCREDIBLY rare, especially in high grade.

Ya know, I've been looking to pick those up whenever I see them in VF or better. I see them all the time beat up, but not so much in high grade. I figure it will be good investements for my daughter. :thumb:

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:

Unfortunately, I know. Even before I had branched out in stupidity, I was working on the MotU and Thundercats books. [/end loser]

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

Jay Tomio wrote:
JohnnyRnR wrote:Right there with you Jay, but the hunt continues!
I find no solace in shared losership :cry:

*goes to look for Rainbow Brite*
Haha! Loser! Ooh.. me too :(

Equalizir
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
black books

Post by Equalizir »

I dont think people would chuck ashcans I think however many of the black ones are out there some people are just hoarding them.

GGSAE
Re: black books

Post by GGSAE »

Equalizir wrote:I dont think people would chuck ashcans I think however many of the black ones are out there some people are just hoarding them.
Yeah there's a real d0chebag that found a stash of number 2 blacks!

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
Equalizir wrote:
Squirrel wrote: nothing thier all crap, stick to the regular run....nope, all poo...you don't want them...keep moving :hi:
All 12? ;)

$2,000?

I figure it this way:

Blues -

#1 - $50
#2 - $50
#3 -$100

Reds -

#1 - $100
#2 - $150
#3 - $200

Yellows -

#2 - $200
#3 - $250

Blacks -

#1 - $500
#2 - $500
#3 - $500

Really?? :bigeyes:

Wow.

I wonder how I missed that!

:cloud9:
I can't remember where but i'm sure it was a forum and to paraphrase, 'i got a set one wonderful night on ebay', from what i remember this person bought a whole set one night, i'm guessing with a BIN. I'll look around to see if i can find the source.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

GGSAE wrote:
Equalizir wrote:I dont think people would chuck ashcans I think however many of the black ones are out there some people are just hoarding them.
That guy's such a doosh...

But he's SUPER hot, so I give him a pass....

Plus, he's a great kisser....

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Well....except, before now, there really wouldn't be an INCENTIVE to hoard them.

After all...they were Image books from 1993. It doesn't get much more death-knelly than that.

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting

Post by JohnnyRnR »

GGSAE-I've googled my way to that same blog before. It seemed to be a female if I recall correctly.

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
GGSAE wrote:

Where's that barfing emoticon...? Perhaps you could apply these skills to the post below, otherwise i may be tempted too....it wouldn't be the first time i ended up in the shower eating soap after committing a disgusting act.
Johhny find where this broad lives!

dbostejano
Here's my not so custom custom.
Here's my not so custom custom.

Post by dbostejano »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
GGSAE wrote:

Does he go by "Valiantboy"?

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

dbostejano wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
GGSAE wrote:

only to one of his enemas... :P
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

myron wrote:
dbostejano wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
GGSAE wrote:

only to one of his enemas... :P
That's not an enema! That's my SON!

Equalizir
books

Post by Equalizir »

sdhgf hsadfsaf jgsajdf jasfsafjsj

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Re: books

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Equalizir wrote:sdhgf hsadfsaf jgsajdf jasfsafjsj
Someone hit the power button and reset him....

whovianone

Post by whovianone »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
Nah, I think he just needs a de-frag.

:P

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

whovianone wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
Nah, I think he just needs a de-frag.

:P
That certainly was an odd post after stomping off in a huff a few days ago.... :?

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

if youre selling these for 500 boys how much are the issue 1's worth in this condition a grand? or more

GGSAE

Post by GGSAE »

robb77 wrote:if youre selling these for 500 boys how much are the issue 1's worth in this condition a grand? or more
ummmm what? :?

robb77
nice one
nice one

Post by robb77 »

GGSAE wrote:
robb77 wrote:if youre selling these for 500 boys how much are the issue 1's worth in this condition a grand? or more
zwh is aelling an issue 2 for $500 which is good price but how much is a issue 1 black ashcan worth

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

robb77 wrote:
GGSAE wrote:
zwh is aelling an issue 2 for $500 which is good price but how much is a issue 1 black ashcan worth
The same.

There should be no difference in price for the blacks, except under the following conditions:

1. It is discovered that one of the books is rarer than the other two, in absolutely numbers.

2. Condition rarity.

It is my contention that Black #2 and #3 may be worth MORE than #1, because people tend to save #1s moreso than others, even #1 variants.