Dave Sim's Glamourpuss-anyone read it?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

JohnnyRnR
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Dave Sim's Glamourpuss-anyone read it?

Post by JohnnyRnR »

What a bizarre book. Typical Sim gorgeous art, demented humor, not exactly a story, with a sexy combination of art history, comics deconstruction, and an experiment in seeing how much he can get away with and have us come back for seconds. That wasn't much of a sentence, but it's a tough book to write about. It's interesting, that much is certain, started slow, but once he hit his example of why a story wouldn't work (by telling a story, with serious Christopher Guest-esque humor) by telling a story, I was hooked. I think. If you've got three bucks to burn, burn it. At the worst, you get some quite pretty pictures.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Re: Dave Sim's Glamourpuss-anyone read it?

Post by Brother J »

JohnnyRnR wrote:What a bizarre book. Typical Sim gorgeous art, demented humor, not exactly a story, with a sexy combination of art history, comics deconstruction, and an experiment in seeing how much he can get away with and have us come back for seconds. That wasn't much of a sentence, but it's a tough book to write about. It's interesting, that much is certain, started slow, but once he hit his example of why a story wouldn't work (by telling a story, with serious Christopher Guest-esque humor) by telling a story, I was hooked. I think. If you've got three bucks to burn, burn it. At the worst, you get some quite pretty pictures.
Got two copies coming from DCBS, can't wait to check it out.

Tim
Confession... I liked Psi-Lords.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Tim »

Mine should be here tomorrow.

Seriously looking forward to seeing it as I think Sim is absolutely brilliant. Can't wait to see his "Judenhast" graphic novel next month either.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Tim Petty wrote:Mine should be here tomorrow.

Seriously looking forward to seeing it as I think Sim is absolutely brilliant. Can't wait to see his "Judenhast" graphic novel next month either.
Here's a website preview of Judenhass, which I think does a much better job of describing it than I could do in a message board post. Powerful stuff.

http://www.judenhass.com/

frater f
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by frater f »

I was strangely interested by this book. Sim's definitely pushing the limits of comicbook storytelling and, perhaps, pushing the limits of what his audience will accept. At an every-other month rate I'm onboard as long as it continues to be interesting.

Tim

Post by Tim »

I liked all of it except for the Glamourpuss section. The framing was much better.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Brother J wrote:

Here's a website preview of Judenhass, which I think does a much better job of describing it than I could do in a message board post. Powerful stuff.

Thank you for posting that link. I would have never seen that.

I think I will have to get that.

I wonder if I can convince my school's library to get a few copies.

A very silly question. Does Dave Sim wirte and draw the book?

Tim

Post by Tim »

Elveen wrote: A very silly question. Does Dave Sim wirte and draw the book?

Yes.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Tim Petty wrote:
Elveen wrote: A very silly question. Does Dave Sim wirte and draw the book?

Yes.

thanks..... :oops:

the only Dave Sims work I've been exposed to was the one Spawn issue. :lol: :lol:

I think I am going to get that TPB.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

I've got Glamourpuss sitting in a stack of stuff I've gotten recently to read, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Veen - Cerebus is pretty epic. Not always good, but epic. It's worth checking out. Skip the first trade, go straight to the second.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Dr. Solar wrote:Skip the first trade, go straight to the second.

Yeah, and pick up the #0 issue.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Tim Petty wrote:
Dr. Solar wrote:Skip the first trade, go straight to the second.

Yeah, and pick up the #0 issue.
Why skip the first trade, you don't like humor? :?

...and some of the later stories start to get that High Society feel in that you start to get introduced to the politics of Estarcion. I personally think you need to read the early stories if for no other reason than to give you insight into Cerebus and some of his motivations. Why is he infatuated with Jaka? Who the hell is this Bran Mak Mufin guy that comes back as an advisor to Cerebus in High Society and Church and State? What are some of Astoria's motives and what the heck is a Kevillist? (sp?)

EDIT: ah, never mind, you're telling him to skip the first one ond go to the second to kind of get a better idea of what to expect with the book as it goes on. I'd still pick up the first one, though.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Glamourpuss is good, but not in the traditional way you think a comic story is good. Basically, it's Dave Sim discussing the photo-realist art style used by some of the best cartoonist of our time, focusing mainly in this issue on Alex Raymond. Sim actually does a lot of tracing in this book, but still manages to make the work look like his own.

It also somewhat mocks the fashion industry, not sure why that has become an interesting topic to Dave, but some of the commentary is pretty funny.

Basically what the book is about and why it exists can be stated clearly in this quote from Sim: "When people ask me if I have anything planned after Cerebus this is about all that comes to mind: cute teenaged girls in my best Al Williamson photo-realism style." He later admits that since most fashion magazines use older models, that it's more like "cute girls in their 20's"

He also says "If I think of anything story-wise (which isn't likely to happen), I'll let you know"

Dr. Solar
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

Brother J wrote:EDIT: ah, never mind, you're telling him to skip the first one ond go to the second to kind of get a better idea of what to expect with the book as it goes on. I'd still pick up the first one, though.
Yup.

If somebody just read the first strade, they would probably enjoy it, but get the wrong impression of the series. I don't think anybody would want to read 300 comics of a conan parody featuring an aardvark.

The second trade gives a better feel for what the series really is about. Sure, go back and read the first trade after the second.

High Society/Church & State/Jaka's Story is, in my mind, one of the most ambitious and well done runs of comics ever.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Brother J wrote: It also somewhat mocks the fashion industry, not sure why that has become an interesting topic to Dave, but some of the commentary is pretty funny.
I think everything becomes interesting to Dave at some point. It was a while after he gave up television (he gave all of his possessions except, I assume, art supplies and a bed to the poor to be more like Christ) that he started becoming obsessed with reading about Survivor. He'd talk about this show he'd never seen but was fascinated with in Cerebus' letters pages all the time.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Sim.

No "s" at the end.

:thumb:

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:Sim.

No "s" at the end.

I think "Sims" only came up once in this thread and it was from Sim newbie Elveen, so I think we can cut him some slack...this time. :P

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Brother J wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:Sim.

No "s" at the end.

I think "Sims" only came up once in this thread and it was from Sim newbie Elveen, so I think we can cut him some slack...this time. :P
Newbie???

PFFFFFFFT....

andrew
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by andrew »

first issue was interesting. some of the stuff i could have done without as the humor has just been done before, like the sections on glamourpuss' tips, skanko, dr. norm, etc. i suppose i'll keep picking it up if it's bimonthly

Tim

Post by Tim »

Brother J wrote:

It was ok. I find Dave's photo-realistic style a bit lacking. It might have something to do with his mentioning the guys he's trying to emulate all the time. It's hard not to compare drawings in that style to the old masters, and it's even more difficult when you're being reminded of them.

The information presented was well researched and pretty damned shocking. Citations were thorough. I would have never pictured some of the comments regarding Jews leaving the lips of some of the people quoted here.

Reading about the long history of anti-semitism really drives home Dave's theory that he states early in the book. The Shoah was horrible, unspeakable and was pretty much inevitable.

The lettering was top flight as Sim's always is.

I miss Gerhard. People sometimes sleep on his importance to the feel and spirit of Cerebus, but he really added to tremendously to that series.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Tim wrote:
Brother J wrote:

It was ok. I find Dave's photo-realistic style a bit lacking. It might have something to do with his mentioning the guys he's trying to emulate all the time. It's hard not to compare drawings in that style to the old masters, and it's even more difficult when you're being reminded of them.

The information presented was well researched and pretty damned shocking. Citations were thorough. I would have never pictured some of the comments regarding Jews leaving the lips of some of the people quoted here.

Reading about the long history of anti-semitism really drives home Dave's theory that he states early in the book. The Shoah was horrible, unspeakable and was pretty much inevitable.

The lettering was top flight as Sim's always is.

I miss Gerhard. People sometimes sleep on his importance to the feel and spirit of Cerebus, but he really added to tremendously to that series.
Didn't know this came out, guess I need to get to the LCS pronto.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Brother J wrote:

Thought you had one coming from DCBS?

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

Tim wrote:
Brother J wrote:

Thought you had one coming from DCBS?
That was Glamourpuss.

I only used DCBS for the one month to get the low price on the X-O hardcover. I really should stick with them, but there is something about going to the local comic shop I would miss if I stopped going there altogther.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Brother J wrote:
I only used DCBS for the one month to get the low price on the X-O hardcover. I really should stick with them, but there is something about going to the local comic shop I would miss if I stopped going there altogther.
Heh. Your local comic shop is probably not a lot like the ones around here. I rejoiced the day I never had to set foot in one of them again.

:lol: