It's started

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
It's started

Post by dellamorte »

I stopped by the local shop yesterday to dig through the back issues for any new Valiant gems, pulled out a Rai 4 for $4 and Valiant Voice 1-9, 11, 12 for $1.20 each and a Shadowman #0 gold $4. I Walked up to the counter to pay and something caught my eye. There on the display wall, clear as day were two Valiant books, Magnus #0 $12 and Magnus #12 $15. And I know these aren't leftovers from the early 1990's because I worked at the store back then. These are new books, priced and displayed to sell.

It's time to buckle up because the dealers are starting to notice, dig through the back issue and quarter bins while you can, the great deals will be gone soon. If we don't find them now the dealers are going to pull 'em out and reprice them.

R Daneel
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Solar, Magnus
Favorite title: VEI Harbinger

Post by R Daneel »

Did you grab the Magnus #0 for $12?? :D

dellamorte

Post by dellamorte »

Nope, I passed. I already have it and I just can't see spending that much on a book I already have.

Zero_UK
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by Zero_UK »

dellamorte wrote:Nope, I passed. I already have it and I just can't see spending that much on a book I already have.
I bought Magnus #0 here in the UK recently (my only one) for roughly the same price when converted to dollars. I was well pleased and thought that I had been undercharged. The dealer even reduced the price (despite my protests) when I pointed out that there was no coupon!
:twisted:
Zero

dellamorte

Post by dellamorte »

I don't think either book was overpriced, if I didn't have them I would have jumped all over both. Just the sight of them on that back wall really makes me think these books are gonna start going crazy again.

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

well I guess that I need to hurry up and grab my pre-unitys that I need I think that I still need 26 of them according to my inventory, but I think that the biggies are harbinger 1-6 and magnus 0...anyway I jsut moved up 3 places in the inventory and I am feeling good...I quickly filling in runs...I am just about to complete Rai and Ninjak....I know Ninjak is not that impressive but hey Rai is not bad....I do not think that prices are going to get crazy because people still hate valiant...LCS might put them up on the wall but what does that mean...they have tons of over priced crap up there.

Samurai-Bill
2 posts down, 2 million to go
2 posts down, 2 million to go

Post by Samurai-Bill »

Well I have just bought Solar man of the Atom issues 1 and 60 so I have 58 to go .
I collect all types of comics I must be mad . Although my two grown up daughters think it's cool

dellamorte

Post by dellamorte »

LCS might put them up on the wall but what does that mean...they have tons of over priced crap up there.
True in most cases, I have been in a couple of stores lately and found Valiants on the wall faded by the light with outragous '93 prices on them. But not this store, the wall is filled with gold/silver age books and whatever is hot at the moment. I tell you somethings going to happen with these books.

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

I hope that it happens right after I complete my set though...also I hope that my 10 copies of bloodshot #6 or the dozen or so copies of XO #16 might some day be worth something....but right after I get done with my set....then I can trade all of these extras for some good fantastic fours or something...ahh the dream

dellamorte

Post by dellamorte »

I wouldn't hold my breath on Blooshot 6 or X-O 16. I think it's going to be similar to the '90's. Your best bets are going to be Pre Unity, Unity, a handful of post unity (Rai 0, Shadowman 8 ) and the low print run books at the end. Of course Golds, Reds and VVSS will always do good.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

dellamorte wrote:I wouldn't hold my breath on Blooshot 6 or X-O 16. I think it's going to be similar to the '90's. Your best bets are going to be Pre Unity, Unity, a handful of post unity (Rai 0, Shadowman 8 ) and the low print run books at the end. Of course Golds, Reds and VVSS will always do good.
GOOOOOOOOOOOO Shadowman #8!

I've got 200 frickin' copies! ;)

Still....one of the COOLEST covers in Valiant history. Yay creepy tattooed guy!

jusdb
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by jusdb »

i think xo 10 (?) is one of the best covers...the one where he digs himself up after hibernating.....

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

i agree x-o 10 is nice...but hwat about shadowman 13? tha's pretty sweet...with all those masks on the wall...striking red backround...

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Bloodshot #40 best bloodshot cover ever.

-brian

whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

dave wrote:i agree x-o 10 is nice...but hwat about shadowman 13? tha's pretty sweet...with all those masks on the wall...striking red backround...
My vote is for the mask as well.
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Eh. Shadowman #13's ok....nothing special. Partly because by that time, they'd stopped printing on the slick coverstock...AND...slick coverstock DOES make some covers look a lot cleaner. Plus, I'm not a fan of Bob Hall's linework on it.

But...Shadowman #8....mmmmmmm.....

Sweet stuff.

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

Shadowman #8, Shadowman #13...

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the cover of Shadowman #12? :wink:

BodaZoffa
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by BodaZoffa »

whetteon wrote:
dave wrote:i agree x-o 10 is nice...but hwat about shadowman 13? tha's pretty sweet...with all those masks on the wall...striking red backround...
My vote is for the mask as well.
What about Shadownman #1. Great cover that says a lot. You can just see the story unraveling before your eyes with that cover.

Boda

dave
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

what exactly is wrong with the line work? you're not being picky again are you?!

no, really what do you mean? i don't have the book in fromt of me, but whenever i'm looking thru "the bins" and i see that one i think, "nice". it's hard to compare it to other covers-like anything valuable, because you have to wonder, is it "nice" that i found this for a dollar? or is it a cool cover anyway?

are you a fan of bob hall's work in general? he is my personal favorite for shadowman. that is why i stuck with shadowman a little longer than most other books.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

dave wrote:what exactly is wrong with the line work? you're not being picky again are you?!

no, really what do you mean? i don't have the book in fromt of me, but whenever i'm looking thru "the bins" and i see that one i think, "nice". it's hard to compare it to other covers-like anything valuable, because you have to wonder, is it "nice" that i found this for a dollar? or is it a cool cover anyway?

are you a fan of bob hall's work in general? he is my personal favorite for shadowman. that is why i stuck with shadowman a little longer than most other books.
It's too....busy...to my eye. Don't get me wrong, the ONLY reason I know who 'Bob Hall' was/is was because of Shadowman, but, #8's just a more powerful cover, and #12 is VERY well designed (Darque floating and whatnot.) #13, while better than some, is just sorta...eh. Bob Hall is ok, to me. Nothing special, nothing unique. Just ok. ;)

Now, you wanna get into special....we're talking Neal, Frank, Alex, and Graham. :)

It blows my mind that, when I started, I only knew that Silver Age stuff looked 'hokey and old' (little did I know that Curts Schaffenberger and Swan were doing it on purpose!) and that the new stuff looked 'better'. Now, after 15 years and THOUSANDS of books passed before my eyes, I can see the immense style and grace of Adams, Toth, Frazetta, and Ingels....as well as the stylizations of LB Cole, Dick Sprang, and Alex Schomburg....and heck, Bill Everett's stuff is WAAYYYYY ahead of its time!

Thank god for edgumuhcashun.

lobo

Post by lobo »

Went to a small comic and toy show today in my area. Hardly any Valiants to speak of. Two of three sellers I asked didn't even know what Valiant was!
I did find Vintage Magnus 1-4 for $8. Also bought Next Men #21 for $3 from the same guy...
:twisted: