Is It A Good Time To Buy?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2
Is It A Good Time To Buy?

Post by Dr. Solar »

This is something I've never really paid attention to, but is there a general trend of when it is a good time to buy books?

I figure that people are selling stuff now to make money for the holliday's, but people aren't buying as much to save money for the hollidays. I've never paid attention to the trends though to really confirm this.

I have always heard that February - April is a good time to sell, because folks are spending their tax returns.

Any trends that people have noticed? I'm thinking about buying some higher dollar books right now.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

This time of year is usually the best time to get a better price on Valiants. I think the majority of people tend to concentrate on Christmas and not so much buying books. I doubt you will see a substantial decrease on most of rarer books though, but a little.

Around tax time is usually one of the better times for selling.

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

OK, thanks for corroborating my thoughts.

I guess I'll see what happens. I think my Christmas present to myself this year might be a Unity red.

Draco
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Well I think I talked enough poop...
Valiant fan since: preordered vh1 from start
Favorite character: X-O from vh1
Favorite title: X-O vh1
Favorite writer: Good question?
Favorite artist: ooooh another good question

Post by Draco »

Definitely this time of year to buy dude.
also January which is a bit obvious.
Bets times to sell i find are march to april and september october.
Sure there might not be alot of keys for sale right now butthat could change according to the xmas list i believe.
My wife wants a nintendo ds as does her mother so i might drop a few books in the next day or so. I wont get what i want but as they are keys they will sell so its all good.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Re: Is It A Good Time To Buy?

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Dr. Solar wrote:
I have always heard that February - April is a good time to sell, because folks are spending their tax returns.
I've never really understood why people think this...I suppose it's true on SOME scale....but I think most people manage their money well enough so they neither OWE NOR get a refund...because it's not a "refund"...it was YOUR MONEY to BEGIN with...the government just kept it as an interest free loan to them upon which THEY drew interest.
Any trends that people have noticed? I'm thinking about buying some higher dollar books right now.
I think the BEST time to buy is Sept-Oct, as the people who buy comics (high school, college) are busy with other things.

The best time to sell, I think, is summer.

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Dr. Solar wrote:OK, thanks for corroborating my thoughts.

I guess I'll see what happens. I think my Christmas present to myself this year might be a Unity red.
Sounds like a nice Christmas present to me.

Dr. Solar

Post by Dr. Solar »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:I've never really understood why people think this...I suppose it's true on SOME scale....but I think most people manage their money well enough so they neither OWE NOR get a refund...because it's not a "refund"...it was YOUR MONEY to BEGIN with...the government just kept it as an interest free loan to them upon which THEY drew interest.
It would be nice to think that, but in reality, it seems, not so much.

thePike
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by thePike »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote: I've never really understood why people think this...I suppose it's true on SOME scale....but I think most people manage their money well enough so they neither OWE NOR get a refund...because it's not a "refund"...it was YOUR MONEY to BEGIN with...the government just kept it as an interest free loan to them upon which THEY drew interest.
This is only a small sample frame of the population to garner perspective from; but my mother is a district manager for H&R block and according for her figures for Kentucky 67% (mind you thats 2/3rds) of the people who use H&R block tax services OWE money to the government.

Now that could be just because it's Kentucky, or becuase people who tend to owe money use tax services, but I thought it an interesting statistic to share none-the-less

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Dr. Solar wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:I've never really understood why people think this...I suppose it's true on SOME scale....but I think most people manage their money well enough so they neither OWE NOR get a refund...because it's not a "refund"...it was YOUR MONEY to BEGIN with...the government just kept it as an interest free loan to them upon which THEY drew interest.
It would be nice to think that, but in reality, it seems, not so much.
Let me revise that....

I think most people who MANAGE THEIR MONEY do it well enough so that they owe nothing and get nothing.

;)

Everyone else just doesn't give a sh!t.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

thePike wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote: I've never really understood why people think this...I suppose it's true on SOME scale....but I think most people manage their money well enough so they neither OWE NOR get a refund...because it's not a "refund"...it was YOUR MONEY to BEGIN with...the government just kept it as an interest free loan to them upon which THEY drew interest.
This is only a small sample frame of the population to garner perspective from; but my mother is a district manager for H&R block and according for her figures for Kentucky 67% (mind you thats 2/3rds) of the people who use H&R block tax services OWE money to the government.

Now that could be just because it's Kentucky, or becuase people who tend to owe money use tax services, but I thought it an interesting statistic to share none-the-less
Tis better to OWE the government (though that arsewipes have managed to tax even THAT) than for the government to OWE you.

:thumb:

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

I dont mind letting the gov hold on to some extra cash for me throughout the year and then utilize in in the summer for some fun home projects. Sure its a mind game and the gov gets to use it for free. It doesn't bother me so much. I dont think I would set aside that extra $40 a month to use against my current debt which consists of only my vehicle and house payment, nor do I think I would put it into a high yield savings account long enough to actually make money.

So, when June comes and I get a little check from the gov reimbursing me for money that should have been mine in the first place I see it as a little money I put aside to use on building a deck, bricking a new sidewalk, or paying off a little more off of that vehicle loan.

Works for me;) and almost debt free :thumb:

superman-prime
scratch 1 for the coog guys

Post by superman-prime »

everyone i know gets their money back some or all of it due to tax credits and such so i think its a little higher percentage

caniac
the hole just keeps getting deeper
the hole just keeps getting deeper
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: XO Manowar
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by caniac »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote: Tis better to OWE the government (though that arsewipes have managed to tax even THAT) than for the government to OWE you.
That is true (making interest on the taxes that you have not payed yet so when you do pay you keep the interest) but honestly how many people do that. To me, people that can or do that are well set in there finances. Unfortunately, I'm not there yet.

And it might just be me, but it seems like the going rates for VALIANTS are up now... I've seen two harby 1s go for over 40 bones this week... crazy

iccarus
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by iccarus »

IanAlexavier wrote:I dont mind letting the gov hold on to some extra cash for me throughout the year and then utilize in in the summer for some fun home projects. Sure its a mind game and the gov gets to use it for free. It doesn't bother me so much. I dont think I would set aside that extra $40 a month to use against my current debt which consists of only my vehicle and house payment, nor do I think I would put it into a high yield savings account long enough to actually make money.

So, when June comes and I get a little check from the gov reimbursing me for money that should have been mine in the first place I see it as a little money I put aside to use on building a deck, bricking a new sidewalk, or paying off a little more off of that vehicle loan.

Works for me;) and almost debt free :thumb:
I prefer this as well. Mainly because I suck when it comes to saving money and I hate that if you miscalculate, they stick you with a penalty.

This will be our first tax year owning a home, so I have to adjust to that as well.

superman-prime

Post by superman-prime »

mrgages suck but, the tax brake from them is a great 10k deduction :thumb:

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

superman-prime wrote:mrgages suck but, the tax brake from them is a great 10k deduction :thumb:
wanna try that again without all the keys getting in the way??? :?

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

:lol:

Yep, mortgages hurt.. but I enjoy my home :thumb: Put a little money into it, finish the basement, cement the drive, build a deck and viola.. its a castle;) And if I ever sell, hopefully I can pull out some capital to put towards a nicer home..