Re-Reading HARD Corps #7

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Score?

No votes
No votes
33%
67%
No votes

Total votes: 3

The Harbinger
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Re-Reading HARD Corps #7

Post by The Harbinger »

Thoughts?

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Re-Reading HARD Corps #7

Post by magnusr »

Good conclusion to last issue. Also setting up the internal disputes at Omen (which I believe turned out bad, but for now it works, the weakness of the Corps were always their lack of discipline and organization). Some moral points about how the government treats soldiers. A bit overdone. Only real problem with this issue is seeing spider aliens that don't aren't the least careful with trees. Weak 4.

/Magnus

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

magnusr wrote:Good conclusion to last issue. Also setting up the internal disputes at Omen (which I believe turned out bad, but for now it works, the weakness of the Corps were always their lack of discipline and organization). Some moral points about how the government treats soldiers. A bit overdone. Only real problem with this issue is seeing spider aliens that don't aren't the least careful with trees. Weak 4.

/Magnus
:thumb: ...always had an issue with that last part...

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

My problem with this two issue arc was that it severely dated the characters by making them Viet Nam veterans.

I would have much prefered them to be Gulf War vets or something. They just came off as being real old.

Hopefully a revival will address that problem. Just how old would the characters be today? It be quite the leap to expect Viet Nam vets to carry their own series in 21st Century.

Just look at how much damage that has done to characters like the Punisher, who start out as Viet Nam vets but then become DEA agents to remain "fresh".

I wouldn't mind if Gunslinger and the other HARD Corps remained Viet Nam vets long as they're dead by now and replaced by Gulf War I vets.

I rather have new characters than retcons, you know?

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam

Post by xodacia81 »

Given what was happening with Omni by the end of the series, maybe Gunslinger and crew aren't dead but merely in charge? Perhaps they could even start a story to explain where the threads that wound up creating the cloth of the-shudder-Psi Lords came from. Wait, scratch that. DO NOT bring in the PsiLords. Forget them. please. No, really. Please.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

xodacia81 wrote:Given what was happening with Omni by the end of the series, maybe Gunslinger and crew aren't dead but merely in charge? Perhaps they could even start a story to explain where the threads that wound up creating the cloth of the-shudder-Psi Lords came from. Wait, scratch that. DO NOT bring in the PsiLords. Forget them. please. No, really. Please.
I liked the Psi-Lords, heh.

It be interesting to see Omen under new management, specially given the fact that VALIANT continuity says that the Corporate Wars began two years ago or so.

Omen is supposed to be in the side of the good guys.

BloodOfHeroes
We clutch at lies 'n pray they’re truths
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Sean Chen

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

ManofTheAtom wrote:I would have much prefered them to be Gulf War vets or something. They just came off as being real old.

Hopefully a revival will address that problem. Just how old would the characters be today? It be quite the leap to expect Viet Nam vets to carry their own series in 21st Century.
Well, they were Harbingernetically enhanced, let us not forget.

And 'Nam vets in the '90s were still VERY plausible.

Just think--in 2028 someone'll be saying, "Gulf War veterans? That's SOOO dated!"

But a real-time comic runs onto those problems. If you're popular enough to be around for a while, you'd better have an exit strategy and rotation plan... Would Colin King still be as Ninjastic in 2007? Would Zephyr still be as hot?

BoH

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:Well, they were Harbingernetically enhanced, let us not forget.

Just think--in 2028 someone'll be saying, "Gulf War veterans? That's SOOO dated!"

But a real-time comic runs onto those problems. If you're popular enough to be around for a while, you'd better have an exit strategy and rotation plan... Would Colin King still be as Ninjastic in 2007? Will Zephyr still be as hot?

BoH
Well, in VALIANT's 2028 we'd have Corporate Wars veterans... or at least Corporate Wars I veterans. And Rai #0 showed that the Corps will have a rotating membership.

Colin could still credibly be Ninjak in 2007 given the genetic manipulation he experienced.

As for Zephyr, we see her in the Harbinger Wars trilogy and she was much older.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:I would have much prefered them to be Gulf War vets or something. They just came off as being real old.

Well, they were Harbingernetically enhanced, let us not forget.

But a real-time comic runs onto those problems. If you're popular enough to be around for a while, you'd better have an exit strategy and rotation plan... Would Colin King still be as Ninjastic in 2007? Would Zephyr still be as hot?

BoH
I always imagined that Faith would age like a fine wine.

BloodOfHeroes

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

ManofTheAtom wrote:Well, in VALIANT's 2028 we'd have Corporate Wars veterans... or at least Corporate Wars I veterans. And Rai #0 showed that the Corps will have a rotating membership.
See? In just a few seconds' time you show how easily it can be done. Maybe some of the original 'Corps members are now the "Nick Fury" of the new(er) team or sumpin'.

Although I suspect a H.A.R.D.Corps relaunch will be even further down the road than (hopefully!) a Bloodshot one, no?

BoH

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:Well, in VALIANT's 2028 we'd have Corporate Wars veterans... or at least Corporate Wars I veterans. And Rai #0 showed that the Corps will have a rotating membership.
See? In just a few seconds' time you show how easily it can be done. Maybe some of the original 'Corps members are now the "Nick Fury" of the new(er) team or sumpin'.

Although I suspect a H.A.R.D.Corps relaunch will be even further down the road than (hopefully!) a Bloodshot one, no?

BoH
Most likely, yeah.

If I had to choose a Corps vet that was still alive, it have to be Hammerhead... but just how old would he be today?

BloodOfHeroes

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

ManofTheAtom wrote: If I had to choose a Corps vet that was still alive, it have to be Hammerhead... but just how old would he be today?
Younger than Aric, Gilad, Aram and, most likely, Ivar. TOTALLY plausible!

BoH

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
BloodOfHeroes wrote:

BoH
Most likely, yeah.

If I had to choose a Corps vet that was still alive, it have to be Hammerhead... but just how old would he be today?
Probably about my dad's age. Upper 50s, pushing 60.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote: If I had to choose a Corps vet that was still alive, it have to be Hammerhead... but just how old would he be today?
Younger than Aric, Gilad, Aram and, most likely, Ivar. TOTALLY plausible!

BoH
:lol:

I'm pretty sure those four have an excuse to still be alive.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:
BloodOfHeroes wrote:

BoH
Most likely, yeah.

Probably about my dad's age. Upper 50s, pushing 60.
How old were they when they fought in Nam?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Now that I think about it, you could have something similar to the current arrangement in JSA.

You have the old Flash, the old Green Lantern and Wildcat mentoring some younger heroes. Hammerhead would make a really good analogue to Wildcat, and old guy whose used to getting into the action, but old age is starting to set in and he's not used to having to let up as a concession to his age.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote:Now that I think about it, you could have something similar to the current arrangement in JSA.

You have the old Flash, the old Green Lantern and Wildcat mentoring some younger heroes. Hammerhead would make a really good analogue to Wildcat, and old guy whose used to getting into the action, but old age is starting to set in and he's not used to having to let up as a concession to his age.
Sounds good.

BloodOfHeroes

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

ManofTheAtom wrote:How old were they when they fought in Nam?
My dad was 20 when he shipped out. He turns 59 this year and is in pretty good shape. All due to work, not "working out."

BoH

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:
ManofTheAtom wrote:How old were they when they fought in Nam?
My dad was 20 when he shipped out. He turns 59 this year and is in pretty good shape. All due to work, not "working out."

BoH

How old did these guys look in 93?

BloodOfHeroes

Post by BloodOfHeroes »

ManofTheAtom wrote:How old did these guys look in 93?
Abs o' Steel on Shakespeare, at least.

I'd say he's the same age as Justin Timberlake today, but in better shape.

In all seriousness, he might have been as young as 41 (or even a bit younger) in '93, without any stretch of the imagination. That'd make him 55 today, right?

BoH

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

BloodOfHeroes wrote:

In all seriousness, he might have been as young as 41 (or even a bit younger) in '93, without any stretch of the imagination. That'd make him 55 today, right?

BoH
Sure. Would he still be a capable soldier at 55, or would they just be more like Generals behind a desk?

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
BloodOfHeroes wrote:

BoH
Sure. Would he still be a capable soldier at 55, or would they just be more like Generals behind a desk?
My thoughts as well.

The Harbinger

Post by The Harbinger »

ManofTheAtom wrote:
BloodOfHeroes wrote:

BoH

I think 55 year olds could still work. Not much longer than that, however. If there is a Corps relaunch, the members will more than likely be Gulf War, or maybe even veterans from the War on Terror :hm:

TKWill
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!
Don't squeeze the Deathmate!

Post by TKWill »

The Harbinger wrote:Image

Thoughts?
Hey Doc, better get used to this cover.

Torque
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Story Going Down Hill From Here

Post by Torque »

Torque

Issue #7 Has Great Cover Art by Leek & Ryder again, which shows a cool action sequence. I like the detail of seeing the two Spider Alien Drivers in the Armored Attack Vehicle on the cover. Unfortunately this is the only piece of art work in this issue that even comes close to the art work from 5 of the first 6 issues.

In general this issue is short on great art, and after page 13 there’s a slight additional de-grade in art quality even more. Some of the individual art cells are cool to look at in this issue, especially images showing gun shots, and Softcore powers blasting through Spider Alien’s Bodies, but the difference is in the details that are missing and that were seen in previous issues. These lack of details can be seen in the flatness of the character’s faces and their clothing, along with week background images showing where the characters are located.

I’ve included below some of my random notes from re-reading this issue:

Mission in issue #7: Rescue their friend and team member from a new unknown enemy, the Spider Aliens.

You should note that for others who didn’t like seeing Spider Aliens destroy trees, that the Operator of the Spider Alien Attack Vehicle is visually impaired by Hammerheads “Strobe Mode Power,” so the Spider Alien’s Attack Vehicle goes on auto pilot and does a “Random Target Acquisition” to try and shoot Hammerhead, but Hammerhead ducks behind a tree and the Vehicle shoots the tree not the Spider Alien.

Three New H.A.R.D. Corp Powers were introduced into this issue. It was interesting to note that these powers were previously seen by specific characters in the first six issues of the “Harbinger” Comic Series. These previously seen characters who had these powers, must have been kidnaped by Omen to copy their powers.

Strobe Mode
Power Lift Mode
Tsetse Power Mode (Sleeping Power) Note: Tsetse Fly = Large African Biting Fly whose Bites Cause Sleeping Sickness.

Overall the story was ok, but I didn’t like how the 3 new H.A.R.D. Corps agents were introduced into the story line. It interesting the story line details that I noted from the previous issue's reviews are less for this issue, telling me the story is getting weaker. Weak on art 3/5
<br><br>