How did you become a VALIANT collector?

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

cshepard81
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
My story

Post by cshepard81 »

Great stories here so far. Here’s mine:

I got hooked on comic books at an early age, as I'd read my grandfather's massive collection every time I'd go to visit. He had lots of old Turok comics, and when Magnus, Solar, and Turok resurfaced as Valiant characters, I knew I wanted to read those, too. When I was about 11 or 12, I picked up my first Valiant comic at a local comic convention, Solar #22. I couldn't make much of the story from that one issue, but at the time, that was one of the only back issues I could afford. I read lots of Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man comics back then, and soon I started making a spot for Valiant each month as well.

I don't remember why, but for a while I stopped collecting comics, and then when I was a sophomore in high school I noticed how dramatically the prices of old Valiant comics had dropped. Now aided by the Internet (I actually think it was the old “Bridge to the Future” Geocities site that sparked my interest again) I was able to collect every single non-premium Valiant comic (and one excellent buy in a comic shop where I bought several long boxes of Valiants for a total of $20). I was able to go back and read each story from the beginning.

After achieving my goal, I stopped collecting again, and in 2000, I was living with my girlfriend (now wife) and we were short on cash. I sold all my comics on eBay, save the old Turok ones from my grandfather's collection (which had sentimental value, but were also too worn to command any value otherwise). So, it was a heroic act on my part at the time, but it was heartbreaking to lose all those comics that I had worked so hard to gather.

Anyway, fast forward to this past summer. We had moved from MA to FL, and for the first time I considered starting my collection over again. This time I focused more on CGC graded Valiants, because I had never owned any the first time around. I'm a long way from 100%, and since we'll probably move again in the next year or so, I think I'd prefer to wait until we're settled down a little more before trying to gather comics that could easily be damaged during the moving process, but right now I'm having fun picking up all the cool variants that I didn't bother with the first time (Harbinger Pink, gold logos, and graded Valiants in general).

I browse the forums just about everyday, and this is my new favorite Valiant site on the web. I’ve bought a few books from board members and I know I’ve seen some of you on eBay, so I hope I can be more active here in the future. Thanks for reading!