Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #25

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

No votes
No votes
No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #25

Post by xoken »

I thought we could do a book a day (that way people can read one every day or catch up on weekends), talk about it on its own, in the context of whats next, in regards to what expectations it creates and vote on how good it is. I don't have to be the one that posts everyday. If I miss a day or if someone wants to take over please do

For voting think of your single favourite comic book (not just VALIANT) as the benchmark - thats a 10 - and grade according to that.

Make sure to mention what you like'd about the book, what you didn't, what you wish they would have done, your favourite panels, lines of dialogue, little bits of trivia etc.

Magnus Robot Fighter #25

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #25

Post by magnusr »

A well crafted book. Also yet another possible step-on point for new readers, as it mostly is about mentioning previous events. The gimmic cover also indicates that it's made to attract new readers. Mekman is handled correctly, both in regards to his Gold Key and Valiant occurences. The inker's strong influence is obvious when comparing to the previous Valiant issue with Mekman. The contrast and parallel between the emperor and Mekman is well used. We get to see how closely the Rai and Magnus books interact. The backgrounds and colors are nicely used to emphasize the story and pencils. Connecting Magnus' white boots to Nancy Sinatra is a nice touch. We get to see a visual connection between the Malevs and the creture in Solar's VR world. The ease with which robot minds can survive later on is established here. The retcon of the Asylum story is completed here. We get a Rai 0 tie-in and an emotional moment for Magnus, giving us another comparison between human and robot emotions. The ongoing unfortunate distancing from Gold Key's Magnus is further emphasized with a new costume. The last panel acknowledges clearly that this is as intended.

All and all a well crafted story with intelligence both in story and art. Almost too much craft and not as much creation. Judged in itself it should be rather good. I liked it better when I first read it, than I do now, since now I have gotten to know and love the classical Magnus better. As a side-note this actually also means I now love the first Magnus stories even more than the first time I read them. With the possible exception of some aspects of the Asylum story, that was a Magnus that both respects the old Magnus and builds new wonderful stories. That magic is gone now and what we have has to be judged by itself.

/Magnus

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...
Re: Re-Reading: Magnus Robot Fighter #25

Post by magnusr »

Seaborn's synopsis:

The Malev Emperor expresses her/its hatred of Magnus. Mekman offers his services to the Emperor and it decides to use Mekman as a Malev-Human interface. After the Malevs fail in an attempt to destroy Rai, Magnus and Rokkie travel to 1-A’s undersea base at the Geomancer’s request so Magnus might learn his true origin. There, they encounter 1-A and learn how he/it escaped the destruction of Grand One. 1-A, who has changed appearances drastically and is now composed of two units, asks to be called 1-AB. At Rokkie’s insistence, Magnus is given a letter his mother wrote to him years after she gave him up. In it, she tells him that they met in the Unity conflict, that he held his younger self there, that Torque was his father and that she both loves him and is proud of him. 1-AB tells Magnus that he is a second-generation Harbinger and that is why he can punch through steel barehanded. Magnus then receives the uniform that 1-A had originally designed for him. Malevs attack almost the instant Magnus dons the new “armor”. He, 1-AB and Rokkie make their escape, destroying the undersea base in the process. Magnus is elated to realize that he is human and now knows who his parents were.

/Magnus

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

thanks...I thought that this was the one with the silver cover...what is that 20?

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

DawgPhan wrote:thanks...I thought that this was the one with the silver cover...what is that 20?
24. I guess xoken copied and pasted the initial post in this thread from the previous issue. Must be the best method for creating so many similar threads.

/Magnus