Bragging rights - your best deal of late?

Quick access to important topics since 2004

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

soundoftheuniverse
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by soundoftheuniverse »

It's no Quarter bin find but it's pretty good & one of my favorite books which makes it that much more special... plus there's only 2 of em.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 24587&rd=1

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

I'LL give you FIVE dollars.

Escaflown4
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by Escaflown4 »

I think I got a good deal from an ebay auction I won a few days ago. The books arrived today and they are all around 9.6 condition. I got the following:

Solar 1-6, 10 (first printing), 12, 16, 20-22, 24, 28, 29
Solar Alpha & Omega TPB (comes with a poster)
Man of the Atom (1997 Acclaim)

All that for $16.41 including shipping. Whatcha guys think?

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

dat's a good deal! especially if you NEEDED those books-still a good deal if you're just hoarding them!!!

which is it?

how did you win a solar auction for that much anyway?
was x-o sleeping? :wink:

woosuh
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
how about this one? it included a solar 10 and condition was

Post by woosuh »

great.....even came boarded and bagged. unbelievable, i think

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

dave wrote:dat's a good deal! especially if you NEEDED those books-still a good deal if you're just hoarding them!!!

which is it?

:lol:
Alot of peopel might get better deals the next couple of months as I am saving for a vacation.
http://chrismorrillart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

woosuh

Post by woosuh »

i was one of those people who always paid cover price and 100 dollars for a magnus 12. i love valiant esp, solar and magnus but i am trying to get all the valiants i can while prices are low.

With all this demand.... i remember last year, i could get lots and full runs cheap but i think everyone is trying to hold on until it the books booms...

Thats what i think the market is doing, it's sleeping.. people holding on til they sell,,,, and buy that new boat........

you cant beat that price too but shipping was 30.. well .. let's hear more..

Escaflown4
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar

Post by Escaflown4 »

Heh no I'm not a hoarder. I dug out my comics like about a month ago and I kinda regretted thinning out my Valiant collection over the years. So I decided to recomplete my pre-unity run, but I don't wanna pay too much $$ for it either. So I've been searching ebay with a fine tooth comb until i see some good deals and bid on them. Since I'm only interested in the early VH1 issues, I been getting some VH2's and TPB's along with these lots. I see some of these TPB's and VH2's have a bit of value according Greg's price guide. When I have time later this month, I'll prolly list those in the for sale section.

dave wrote:dat's a good deal! especially if you NEEDED those books-still a good deal if you're just hoarding them!!!

which is it?

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

<---proud hoarder. After all, who's got $50,000 cash for a Fine 'Tec #27? ;)

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

Someone got a great deal on this lot!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 95092&rd=1

Eric Jackson
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Eric Jackson »

wow. that was on the market for less than 10 minutes. Wonder if those books have some defects or the seller just didn't know what he had :/

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

You just have to love those buy it now auctions.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

So....I opened the link thinking it was this some sort of steal....and thought...eh. I wouldn't EVER pay that much for these books.

Am I just crazy that I don't think this was a steal AT ALL? Or, am I just stuck in the 'I've been paying $30 for all these books for so long' mode?

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I don't think it's a good deal, either ZWH, but the person who bought them can break 'em up, turn them around and make a nice profit, easy. Those books are red-hot right now.

x-omatic

Post by x-omatic »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:So....I opened the link thinking it was this some sort of steal....and thought...eh. I wouldn't EVER pay that much for these books.

Am I just crazy that I don't think this was a steal AT ALL? Or, am I just stuck in the 'I've been paying $30 for all these books for so long' mode?
You don't think paying $80.00 for these books is a good deal?
Harbinger 0 pink
Harbinger 1-6
Unity Red

I just sold a Harbinger pink & #1 for 75.00. I could have resold the Harbinger pink & 1-6 made a profit and kept the Unity red.

So, anytime I can get a unity red fro free is a great deal to me.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

No, I don't think it's a 'good deal'. ;) Regardless of the FLIP potential, I think it's crazy.

And....'red hot'? Mmmmm....when they start showing up on the walls of local comics stores, THEN I'll think they're red hot. ;)

And...just because something sold for $75 this week don't mean it'll sell for $50 next week. ;)

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Wow! I can't believe that with the current Ebay climate you guys don't think that $80.00 was a good deal. I know that you are not going to find people clamoring for these at the local comic shops (and to people outside of our small circle these books are all but worthless) but they do seem to hold some value. The way auction prices have been lately it might be a while before you get a lot like this for $30.00.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

I think it was a great deal and I would have done it if I saw it. It is just so hard to get a Unity Red now, I think it would have been more like getting the Harby's for free.

soundoftheuniverse
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by soundoftheuniverse »

In Oct '03 I sold (BIN) a VF Unity Red w/ 5 Gold Books for $61 Shipped which I thought was a fair price at the time. Looking at the recent averages and other market factors I'm thinking at minimum a Unity Red is worth $50, Harbie Pink $30. Minimum, but more like double.

I think this auction is a fantastic "Value" if the books are NM.

Of course others disagree but remember those "others" have copies of their own and don't need to get one. If you're hunting for these books and would like to kill/own more than one bird/comic with your stone/dollars then this was a "perfect auction" for you.

If you've been in the game since Ebay's inception when Unity Reds were auctioning for whatever measly amount and you currently own 50 of em then of course you'd pass on spending another $80 for more books you don't need... hmm unless you're like me. :P I don't think anyone owns 50 do they?

Now if these are VF copies I really wouldn't be too excited because it's easy to find banged up stuff. However, if they're NM whoever won took a small risk and it paid off. Good for them.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

Five copies of Ninjak VH2 No. 1 painted cover for 10 cents each.

I CALL ON THE POWER OF NINJAK!!! .... YEEE-HAH!!

What?

You mean they suck? Ah, never mind. :roll:

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

soundoftheuniverse wrote:In Oct '03 I sold (BIN) a VF Unity Red w/ 5 Gold Books for $61 Shipped which I thought was a fair price at the time. Looking at the recent averages and other market factors I'm thinking at minimum a Unity Red is worth $50, Harbie Pink $30. Minimum, but more like double.

I think this auction is a fantastic "Value" if the books are NM.

Of course others disagree but remember those "others" have copies of their own and don't need to get one. If you're hunting for these books and would like to kill/own more than one bird/comic with your stone/dollars then this was a "perfect auction" for you.

If you've been in the game since Ebay's inception when Unity Reds were auctioning for whatever measly amount and you currently own 50 of em then of course you'd pass on spending another $80 for more books you don't need... hmm unless you're like me. :P I don't think anyone owns 50 do they?

Now if these are VF copies I really wouldn't be too excited because it's easy to find banged up stuff. However, if they're NM whoever won took a small risk and it paid off. Good for them.
I think I was the buyer of that one! I think $80 is a good price, not great but very good. I would have bin'd it in a second.

tssgery
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by tssgery »

x-omatic wrote:Someone got a great deal on this lot!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 95092&rd=1
I'm the one that got them... and I think it's a good but not GREAT deal. I've been looking for a Unity Red and I intend look over all the Harbingers and flip the ones that aren't better than what I already have.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

sotu got it right. ;) Keep in mind, us old timers who LIVED THROUGH (sonicdan, X-O, Boda, me?) Valiant from (almost) Day 1 get REALLY, REALLY leary of paying the 'crazy prices' for these books..remembering how badly some of us were burned on these books....and I know MANY folks who were burned to the tune of THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of dollars.

I know, I know, different times, different situations, totally different...but, old prejudices die hard. ;)

Hope that gives you some perspective. ;)

But..then, as far as I'm concerned, I think ANYTHING over cover price is absurd. Call me an extremist. :)

sonikgti
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by sonikgti »

well, I recently sold a sealed Rai Blue tpb for $40 shipped on the ebay...way more than I was expecting...

...my first Valiant off the rack was Bloodshot #6, then a couple of months later it was worth about $30...mem-o-ries, of the wayyy we were (you know the tune).....

The Spider
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by The Spider »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:So....I opened the link thinking it was this some sort of steal....and thought...eh. I wouldn't EVER pay that much for these books.

I didn't think it was a good deal initially, but looking at something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 55257&rd=1

Makes me think that bidder was lucky to use the Buy It Now. (But how long it remains a "good luck grab" depends on the price the books will stay at, etc)