New Universe fans...

Comic universes no longer active, Bravura, Continuity, CrossGen, Future, Malibu, Ultraverse... and others that are 'no longer with us' today (or only recently brought back).

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

davidb
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by davidb »

Todd hit the nail on the head. That brings up another point - I've heard for years that the failure of New Universe was the main thing that got Shooter pushed out of Marvel, yet now that I've gotten some of the later books, I see that they were still being published after he was gone. Is there any truth to that, or can I lay that rumor to rest?
This post has been approved by the Harbinger Foundation.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

davidb wrote:Todd hit the nail on the head. That brings up another point - I've heard for years that the failure of New Universe was the main thing that got Shooter pushed out of Marvel, yet now that I've gotten some of the later books, I see that they were still being published after he was gone. Is there any truth to that, or can I lay that rumor to rest?
He got fired from running a company that puts out 40-50 titles a month for the low sales on 8 of them? Sounds very doubtful to me.

Marvel was trying to sell itself at the time. Shooter says he got into conflict with the owners over various things related to that like sticking up for his workers when they wanted to cut benefits, etc.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

So, are the tps and fifth week event one shots worth it or should I just wait for Ellis' newuniversal monthly and ignore the rest?
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

davidb
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by davidb »

Todd Luck wrote:
davidb wrote:Todd hit the nail on the head. That brings up another point - I've heard for years that the failure of New Universe was the main thing that got Shooter pushed out of Marvel, yet now that I've gotten some of the later books, I see that they were still being published after he was gone. Is there any truth to that, or can I lay that rumor to rest?
He got fired from running a company that puts out 40-50 titles a month for the low sales on 8 of them? Sounds very doubtful to me.

Marvel was trying to sell itself at the time. Shooter says he got into conflict with the owners over various things related to that like sticking up for his workers when they wanted to cut benefits, etc.
Like I said, that was a rumor I'd heard for years and was wondering if there was any truth to it. Thanks for clearing that up for me! :thumb:

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

ManofTheAtom wrote:So, are the tps and fifth week event one shots worth it or should I just wait for Ellis' newuniversal monthly and ignore the rest?
Depends on what you mean by "worth it." It's impossible to tell for sure until they're solicted.

But I seriously doubt the trades will be worth it. The issue themselves aren't terribly hard to find and usually go for between ten cent and a dollar a pop.

The fifth week one-shots could be really good depending on who they get to do them...

davidb
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by davidb »

And All The Rage this week has the rumored creative teams for the NU specials:
Fred Van Lente and Arnold Pander are teaming on Nightmask, Jeff Parker and Javier Pulido do the honors on Star Brand, Tony Bedard and Russ Braun take their shot at Psi-Force, C. B. Cebulski and M.D. Bright are on DP7 and Peter David returns to Justice, with artist Carmine Di Giandomenico in tow. Some of the other New Universe characters will be appearing elsewhere: Merc will show up in a backup in Amazing Fantasy # 18 by Tony Lee and Leonard Kirk, followed by a Codename Spitfire (in the Mark I armor, I hear) backup in AF#19 by Justin Grey and Marshall Rogers, and Kickers Inc by Jeff Parker and Juan Santacruz. will backup New Avengers in February. From what I’ve heard, all the books are self-contained and don’t interconnect. They all take place before the events depicted in The Pitt and will most likely be the last time we see the “classic” New Universe for a long time…

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

davidb wrote:And All The Rage this week has the rumored creative teams for the NU specials:
Fred Van Lente and Arnold Pander are teaming on Nightmask, Jeff Parker and Javier Pulido do the honors on Star Brand, Tony Bedard and Russ Braun take their shot at Psi-Force, C. B. Cebulski and M.D. Bright are on DP7 and Peter David returns to Justice, with artist Carmine Di Giandomenico in tow. Some of the other New Universe characters will be appearing elsewhere: Merc will show up in a backup in Amazing Fantasy # 18 by Tony Lee and Leonard Kirk, followed by a Codename Spitfire (in the Mark I armor, I hear) backup in AF#19 by Justin Grey and Marshall Rogers, and Kickers Inc by Jeff Parker and Juan Santacruz. will backup New Avengers in February. From what I’ve heard, all the books are self-contained and don’t interconnect. They all take place before the events depicted in The Pitt and will most likely be the last time we see the “classic” New Universe for a long time…
I was sort of crossing my fingers that they could've gotten a whole 22 pages out of Shooter for Star Brand and got the dream comic master Rick Vietch for Nighmask but nothing in life is ideal.

I know Bright (on DP7) is a great artist, David (on Justice) is a great writer, and Bedard (on Star Brand) can put out a good story. Who are the rest?

davidb
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by davidb »

Some of the other names sound familiar (especially Pulido) but I can't place why. Leonard Kirk just came off a run on JSA. IIRC, Marshall Rogers was the penciller for Vertigo's Transmetropolitan.

RyanMcLelland
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: Since Super Mario SE #1
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Kevin VanHook
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by RyanMcLelland »

Woohoo! New U!!!

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

The NU onshots are solicited on the Marvel website :thumb: . I'm definately getting Justice and Nightmask.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

I think I'll wait for newuniversal. If Marvel does tps of the old stuff I can always get them later.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

ManofTheAtom wrote:I think I'll wait for newuniversal. If Marvel does tps of the old stuff I can always get them later.
I can't imagine any trades for the originals being as cheap as buying the individual issues. You can buy NU issues for mere pocket change per issue (I bought Peter David's entire Justice run for less than two dollars). If you pay over a dollar per issue for them, you're being robbed.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Only way I'd get them in single issues is if I was assured I could get them all.