CGC 3 month turn around times

Discussion of all "slabbed comics" whether Valiant or not

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

BodaZoffa
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
CGC 3 month turn around times

Post by BodaZoffa »

I contacted CGC today, as I was getting close to receiveing my comics with their 2 month turn around times. I was informed that it would be a little over 3 months before I received these back.

The person on the phone also stated that they have been training new graders to keep up with the current demand.

So if you have some comics going to CGC, be prepared for this. I hope the new graders they are training are worth a darn.

I'm starting to get a little annoyed with CGC. You would think that they had this problem with turn around times worked out. I remember when it only took 20 business days to get these back.

Boda

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors
Re: CGC 3 month turn around times

Post by DawgPhan »

BodaZoffa wrote:I contacted CGC today, as I was getting close to receiveing my comics with their 2 month turn around times. I was informed that it would be a little over 3 months before I received these back.

The person on the phone also stated that they have been training new graders to keep up with the current demand.

So if you have some comics going to CGC, be prepared for this. I hope the new graders they are training are worth a darn.

I'm starting to get a little annoyed with CGC. You would think that they had this problem with turn around times worked out. I remember when it only took 20 business days to get these back.

Boda
I know that they just recently hired at least 1 member of the CGC board to be a grader...I think that depending on what you are sending in to have graded you might be getting screwed by wizard and the other companies that are sending in huge numbers of books to be graded....sorry to hear that it is taking so long though, but I thought that it was understood that cgc was way behind and not even coming close to meeting their timelines.

Shakespeare
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by Shakespeare »

I just sent a package last Saturday...don't need anything back ASAP, but I sure would like my Dark Horse Presents #24 (Aliens origin) back before AvP comes out...doesn't look good, though.

Now, it is the job of everyone here to keep CEAR prices high until my CGC copy comes back! :P

x-omatic
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?
Did someone call for a Hired Gun?

Post by x-omatic »

Shakespeare wrote:I just sent a package last Saturday...don't need anything back ASAP, but I sure would like my Dark Horse Presents #24 (Aliens origin) back before AvP comes out...doesn't look good, though.

Now, it is the job of everyone here to keep CEAR prices high until my CGC copy comes back! :P
I sent 48 books to them 3 weeks ago. One is a CEAR. You might see mine on Ebay first. :twisted:
http://chrismorrillart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Spider
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by The Spider »

I'm waiting for them to grade my X-O Manowar 1/2 Gold I submitted on the last day of Wizard World LA (back in March!)

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Re: CGC 3 month turn around times

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

DawgPhan wrote: I know that they just recently hired at least 1 member of the CGC board to be a grader...I think that depending on what you are sending in to have graded you might be getting screwed by wizard and the other companies that are sending in huge numbers of books to be graded....sorry to hear that it is taking so long though, but I thought that it was understood that cgc was way behind and not even coming close to meeting their timelines.
I would be MORE than happy to work as a grader, and I'm exceptionally qualified to, but they refuse to open any California branches.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

I'm damn humble, too.

;)

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:I'm damn humble, too.

;)
Well the guy that was on the CDC board had to move to FLA to be a grader...I guess you could always consider moving if you really wanted to be a grader, but I would not imagine that they make that much money. I would need to make a lot of money to do a job like that...

COMICKINGS
Account inactive by user's request

Post by COMICKINGS »

DawgPhan wrote:

;)
Well the guy that was on the CDC board had to move to FLA to be a grader...I guess you could always consider moving if you really wanted to be a grader, but I would not imagine that they make that much money. I would need to make a lot of money to do a job like that...
What could be so hard about grading?? CGC is making a killing right now.It's the lottery every day down there! 3-4 months backed up and they hire 1 guy?!!! Those guys down there are basically printing money down there.They can pass out a 9.6 on a Harbinger #1 and it goes for $75 or 9.8 where you can't ven tell the difference and it goes for $500.$400+ more for a minute defect you can't even see.I am just jealous that I wasn't in on that whole grading game.It's a total scam,especially for modern books.I know I have made some ridiculous $$$ on graded stuff.I submitted with the only intention of reselling.And it's an Ebay thing or internet thing only.The books won't sell in the store or at a show.Unless you are in NYC or LA maybe.It's a hot market and people with indisposable cash are looking and ready to spend.I just wish I had more high grade stuff to sell'em!

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

COMICKINGS wrote:
What could be so hard about grading?? CGC is making a killing right now.It's the lottery every day down there! 3-4 months backed up and they hire 1 guy?!!! Those guys down there are basically printing money down there.They can pass out a 9.6 on a Harbinger #1 and it goes for $75 or 9.8 where you can't ven tell the difference and it goes for $500.$400+ more for a minute defect you can't even see.I am just jealous that I wasn't in on that whole grading game.It's a total scam,especially for modern books.I know I have made some ridiculous $$$ on graded stuff.I submitted with the only intention of reselling.And it's an Ebay thing or internet thing only.The books won't sell in the store or at a show.Unless you are in NYC or LA maybe.It's a hot market and people with indisposable cash are looking and ready to spend.I just wish I had more high grade stuff to sell'em!
No offense, CK, but there IS a difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 that you CAN see. You just can't see it behind two layers of hard plastic, most of the time.

The truth is, there ARE differences that are visible in the uber high grades...it's just that *most* people don't care about those very minor problems....until there's large amounts of cash involved...then, all of a sudden, EVERYONE is interested.

But, truthfully, only a very small percentage of collectors REALLY care about uberhigh grades for the sake of uberhigh grades alone, not money. Grading IS easy....with practice, experience, and proper training.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

DawgPhan wrote:

;)
On the CDC board...? What was he, a biochemist? ;)

Seriously, I lived outside CA for 2 years...2 years I'll never, ever have back. ;) I'm never living outside this state again, for any reason.

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

Seriously, I lived outside CA for 2 years...2 years I'll never, ever have back. I'm never living outside this state again, for any reason.
WOW! Im not going near that one, anyone else from outside the US wanna tackle it?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:Seriously, I lived outside CA for 2 years...2 years I'll never, ever have back. ;) I'm never living outside this state again, for any reason.
What about when it falls into the ocean? :wink:

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

dino wrote:
Seriously, I lived outside CA for 2 years...2 years I'll never, ever have back. I'm never living outside this state again, for any reason.
WOW! Im not going near that one, anyone else from outside the US wanna tackle it?
Sorry Dino, can't help you here. The world is full of wonderful places, and it is always a gain to have experienced new places, but I lived in CA for two years and to say the least, it was not lost years. So I understand ZwH's statement. Of course, each one prefers to live where he feels at home. I've been around, but now I'm home again. Maybe ZwH feels the same?

/Magnus

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

magnusr wrote:
dino wrote:
Sorry Dino, can't help you here. The world is full of wonderful places, and it is always a gain to have experienced new places, but I lived in CA for two years and to say the least, it was not lost years. So I understand ZwH's statement. Of course, each one prefers to live where he feels at home. I've been around, but now I'm home again. Maybe ZwH feels the same?

/Magnus
Abso-friggin-lutely, Mags....I'm a 4th generation Californian, we're damn rare. Not like alla these misplaced Midwesterners, trying to change the rules. ;) CA's got lots of problems (all of them due to the PEOPLE), but no one reading this can deny that California is an immense presence, in so many ways, in the US and the world.

I could go down the list, but that would bore everyone. ;) Suffice it to say, it's where I was conceived, where I was born, it's where I will die, and where I will have my ashes spread. I LOVE visiting other places, and I treasure that other people feel the same about THEIR homes...there are some BEAUTIFUL places in the world, most of which I've yet to see....

...but they will never be home to me.

I am, first, last, and always...a California boy. My grandma would be proud. ;)

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

greg wrote:
ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:Seriously, I lived outside CA for 2 years...2 years I'll never, ever have back. ;) I'm never living outside this state again, for any reason.
What about when it falls into the ocean? :wink:
I bought a dinghy.

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

What about when it falls into the ocean?
Check out the current story line in Aquaman, San Diego has fallen into the sea in the DC Universe. I won't say more than that, but I will highly recommend this title since issue #15.

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

Brother J wrote:
What about when it falls into the ocean?
Check out the current story line in Aquaman, San Diego has fallen into the sea in the DC Universe. I won't say more than that, but I will highly recommend this title since issue #15.
They have to do something for aquaman. Unless something happens in the ocean is SOL. Bank Robbery...nah...dont call aquaman..unless the bank is REALLY close to the water and Aquamna could get some of the flying fish to beat the robbers up. Other than that...well I forgot that most cities in the the DC universe have some sort of Canal system that runs throughout the city...You know just like the in the real New York... :D

greg
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

DawgPhan wrote:They have to do something for aquaman. Unless something happens in the ocean...
Speaking of Aquaman... :wink:

On "The State" in the mid-1990s (shown on MTV) they did a skit
for the Superfriends.... (like MadTV or Saturday Night Live)...

Batman: "The volcano's exploded, we've got to act fast. "

Superman: "Right, Batman, Robin, you find some way to block future transmissions. Wonder Woman, you stop Dr. Spiker, and find out what he knows. Flash, run to the Andes Mountains, and get those plants. I'll go stop the missiles that have already been launched. Aquaman, you go... talk to some fish!"

:D

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

greg wrote:
DawgPhan wrote:They have to do something for aquaman. Unless something happens in the ocean...
Speaking of Aquaman... :wink:

On "The State" in the mid-1990s (shown on MTV) they did a skit
for the Superfriends.... (like MadTV or Saturday Night Live)...

Batman: "The volcano's exploded, we've got to act fast. "

Superman: "Right, Batman, Robin, you find some way to block future transmissions. Wonder Woman, you stop Dr. Spiker, and find out what he knows. Flash, run to the Andes Mountains, and get those plants. I'll go stop the missiles that have already been launched. Aquaman, you go... talk to some fish!"

:D
Runnng completely off topic. Was the state the show that had the "I'm gonna dip my balls in it" guy? If so I loved that show. Now that I think about it isnt the guy from "I love the 80's" one of the guys that was on that show. I think that I was also told that he is on Six Feet Under..same guy? I wonder if you can get those on DVD. Of course I always though of those guys in the same vein as Mr. Show and Kids in the Hall. Not really SNL and mad TV...either way though...

andrew
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box

Post by andrew »

The State pretty much split up into the Reno 911! cast and the comedy troupe Stella. Word is that MTV finally agreed to do the DVD's.