Re-reading: Eternal Warrior #5

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book

No votes
10%
30%
20%
20%
10%
10%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 10

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-reading: Eternal Warrior #5

Post by xoken »

Heres the latest

Eternal Warrior #5

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I wanted to rate it higher (I gave it an 8) for the first full appearance of such a key guy, but Bloodshot's character wasn't really fleshed out enough. He gave a one-panel rundown of what he could do, he knocked a few people around and that was it. Could have been anybody.

Nice, crisp read. Not too much history in this one (Grenada reference ... now that's dated).

xoken

Post by xoken »

Intersting prologue and nicely tied it with the issue.

I found it hard to buy the initial exchange between Bloodshot and Gilad. It didn't seem like Bloodshot really had a plan and how does Gilad move fast enough to take the gun away from a croutching position? Bloodshot also was way to quick to give it information for someone who doesn't know anything and too easy to believe that Gilad didn't know anything.

Interesting development that Gilad was on the list of potentials for Rising Spirit.

Awesome action set pieces. Well done Van Hook.
Nice art by Dixon too. Some nice compisitions here. Unlike the unity issue his vertical panels work well here. Especially in the last fight.

Still feel like I don't know enough about Gilad, where does he get his money for instance.

Dep, you think the grenada reference is old, check out Jessica's hair cut :o

Seemed a little to cliched for me. The ending was a let down. I wish there were more 'dung head' Gilad moments. Still a fun issue, a nice intro and some cool action. I give it a 6

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

solid...keeps in line with what has come before...no surprises or letdowns...another 7
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I always thought the beginning of the book was a little hokey, with Bloodshot storming into Gilad's room and then letting his gun get taken away so easy. I think they could have written a little better scene than that. The rest of the book was pretty good though.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

This issue nailed Bloodshot for me. The calculating computerized mind, the hunter/hunted thing, the lack of memory. This was the whole reason I bought the first 5 issues of Bloodshot. I found it too jarring when they took a complete change in direction by issue 3 of that series but that's for another poll on another day :wink: .

Anyway another "immortal Rambo" issue that was very good :) . Great chemistry between Bloodshot and Gilad which ofcourse would be revisited again and again. A good solid 8 :thumb: .

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

I thought this was one of the weaker issues so far. It reads like the plot to a Van Damme / Dolph Lundgren movie - a lot of action, not much real story behind it. The initial meeting between Bloodshot and Gilad just didn't work for me. After that, however, what's there is good. I liked that the source of Gilad's income isn't specified, just understood. Someone who's been alive thousands of years could figure out a way to amass a fortune.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

xoken

Post by xoken »

Heath wrote:I liked that the source of Gilad's income isn't specified, just understood. Someone who's been alive thousands of years could figure out a way to amass a fortune.
Yes, but what a fun thing to explore, or just hint at. Does he have stacks of old valuable relics hidden away? Some knowledge long lost? Did he invent something like tabasco?

Heath
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

xoken wrote:Yes, but what a fun thing to explore, or just hint at. Does he have stacks of old valuable relics hidden away? Some knowledge long lost? Did he invent something like tabasco?
All of the above? :D I'm sure he was quite diversified. I would certainly think he had some valuable relics stashed somewhere (or knew where they were still laying waiting to be "discovered"). And I'm sure he knew a good business opportunity when he saw one - or at least knew the people to trust with his money. And even a modest investment in the stock market would have a hefty return over the length of time available to him. Personally, I think those are the kind of details that are best left to the imagination. :)
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I'm sure Ivar could have given him a good stock tip or two.