Re-reading: Eternal Warrior #8

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

How would you rate this book?

No votes
55%
18%
9%
18%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 11

xoken
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re-reading: Eternal Warrior #8

Post by xoken »

The famous double sized issue.

(See "Re-reading: Eternal Warrior #1" for a description of this re-reading project and the voting)

Eternal Warrior #8 aka Archer & Armstrong #8
Last edited by xoken on Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:58:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

BWS casting Gilad and his brothers as the Three Musketeers in "The Man in the Iron Mask" is clever. The twists in the story are equally so. This is the type of depth, substance, and orginality that was sorely lacking from most creators at Valiant after Shooter left. BWS still had it in spades. A 9 :thumb: .

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

I thought about it slightly different from Todd. I would have preferred a story within the regular continuity ... it was still early in the series, and I felt it didn't need a Three Musketeers kind of gimmick.

So even with the re-reading I was a bit skeptical. But as I kept reading, the story kept getting better. What a great moment when Aram cold-cocks Gilad!

And the pin-ups at the end were a nice bonus.

jedimarley
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.
Evra'Ting Ire Mon.

Post by jedimarley »

Very cool to see all three brothers together.
Story+art+BWS=GREAT!
I give it a 8

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

the first time i read this book i was totally baffled...of course i had not read any of the original, and was still trying to get a grasp of who all the valiant characters were...ivar and gilad were strangers to me-and i thought that the other gilad (in unity) was geoff, and that geoff was just "the geomancer" so when this other brother came along...whew-it was a bit too much...made me thankful for bloodshot!!! (yeah that's him BIG RED SPLOTCH on his chest...gotta be...)

i like this idea more or less, but reading it now, it lacks the freshness of inserting these guys into history...archer was just hilarious though...neat angle on the geomancer's TRYING to fix everything all the time, and sometimes goofing.

definately a fun read.

xoken

Post by xoken »

Great issue - They don't rest on the idea of valiant heroes doing something famous alone, they add to it and we are constantly suprised. BWS does a fantastic job on both counts. The story has a nice gimmick, great character moments and fantastic art.

One of my favourites but I think it works better as a A&A book than an EW book. With A&A we have #0 to set things up so 1 & 2 don't feel too out of place. Then 3-7 lay a good ground work and it feels like a good point for a book like this.

EW on the other hand had #1 which was a great set up but struggled to be a unity book. #2 was trying to be two unity books and made Gilads story during unity seem hockey (the "we've been here almost a year but now which we ride this dino is the first time we get a chance to talk' moment comes to mind). #3-7 just don't lay enough of the series down for this to feel warrented. #4 is the immortal enemy but we havent seen him again yet. #5 is a bloodshot book really. #6 & 7 are nice but really should have been issues 2 and 3.

BWS panel choices, his work with color and his use of Archer are what make me love this book. As a stand alone one shot it would be a strong 9. As an A&A book its a 9. As an EW book its a 7. I guess that means its an 8 average for me

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

I thought the story was pretty good, but I agree it worked better as an A&A book than an EW book. My main problem was with word balloon placement. I often had to re-read panels after realizing the balloons were supposed to be read from bottom to top, not top to bottom. That was quite a bit distracting and really detracted from the enjoyment of the book.
I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.