The ‘tell Alien which Valiant book needs fixing’ poll

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Which character/team needs fixing most?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:25:23 pm

Harbinger
44%
Bloodshot
No votes
Ninjak
6%
Savage
19%
Psi Lords
31%
Someone else (say who in the comments)
No votes

Total votes: 16

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
The ‘tell Alien which Valiant book needs fixing’ poll

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

After a few disastrous years of books, Alien seem to be moving Valiant in the right direction again. XO was decent and there are interesting books on the way, including Dan Abnett back on Rai.

Ninjak wasn’t good though so it’s not all plain sailing and for reasons unknown Fred Van Lente is coming back (I can only assume Alien didn’t read Psi Lords) facepalm

Speaking of dire, the Harbinger series by Kelly and Lanzig managed to hit rock bottom in 2021, but then Max Bemis said ‘hold my beer’ and made their effort look like Alan Moore with a mind bogglingly bad Savage mini series. So for me, those characters need a top writer/artist combo to get them back on track.

Bloodshot has been constantly bad following the excellent Lemire run, with poor creative teams one after another completely failing to make the character interesting. Who can forget Tim Seeley having Bloodshot singing during a battle in one of the cringiest moments in Valiant history? Unfortunately not me :!:

So…which character or team needs intensive care the most and why?

2 options each because I’m generous like that!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: The ‘tell Alien which Valiant book needs fixing’ poll

Post by ManofTheAtom »

My question would be, what can Alien do bring notice to VALIANT.

From Saga using breastfeeding on the cover to their first issue to TidalWave making comics about certain political figures, those surely are good examples of how to rile people up to get free publicity for one's comic books, no?

What could Alien do to get that sort of notice?

They can't kill someone and expect to get the same notice DC did when they killed Superman, but surely they could do something along the lines of what Saga did to get people talking.

Alternatively, they could do something along the lines of Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns that completely changed the way comic books are made.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:24:29 pm My question would be, what can Alien do bring notice to VALIANT.

From Saga using breastfeeding on the cover to their first issue to TidalWave making comics about certain political figures, those surely are good examples of how to rile people up to get free publicity for one's comic books, no?

They can't kill someone and expect to get the same notice DC did when they killed Superman, but surely they could do something along the lines of what Saga did to get people talking.

Alternatively, they could do something along the lines of Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns that completely changed the way comic books are made.
Let’s start off with book worth reading and foremost! Since the Dinesh era ended that last thing you’d want anyone to do is read Valiant books. Imagine a new reader picking up Hallum’s XO or Van Lente’s Psi Lords and thinking that was the standard of Valiant books!
In my view, Alien needs to course correct the Valiant U which will take 12-24 months of quality books (if indeed Alien can deliver that, they’re bringing Van Lente back so if question their choices).

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:24:29 pm My question would be, what can Alien do bring notice to VALIANT.

Hiring someone like Ethan Van Sciver would get the Valiant name on many tongues.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:16:12 pm

Hiring someone like Ethan Van Sciver would get the Valiant name on many tongues.
:lol:

Well, yeah, but we don't want him, lol.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:52:26 pm

Let’s start off with book worth reading and foremost! Since the Dinesh era ended that last thing you’d want anyone to do is read Valiant books. Imagine a new reader picking up Hallum’s XO or Van Lente’s Psi Lords and thinking that was the standard of Valiant books!
In my view, Alien needs to course correct the Valiant U which will take 12-24 months of quality books (if indeed Alien can deliver that, they’re bringing Van Lente back so if question their choices).
There is truth to that, yeah.

I imagine they're bringing Van Lente back on the strength of A&A far more so than because of Psi-Lords, though, heh.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

I would be completely against hiring right-wing provocateurs just because they get a lot of youtube clicks.

Also totally against 'riling people up' with marketing stunts.

Great comics, that's it. Look at comics like Invincible, The Boys, and many others. Creators that just put their heads down and made something great. They earned their readership by making a great product for their readers month after month.

They weren't instant hits, more of a slow burn, just like pre-Unity. Investing in high quality storytelling pays off much more in the long term than the short term. Look at where Invincible, The Boys, and Walking Dead started out (as single monthly comic books) to where the franchises are now.

Marketing gimmicks for a bunch of quick clicks is less than worthless in my eyes if there isn't actually high level storytelling going on.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Ryan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:06:04 pm

I would be completely against hiring right-wing provocateurs just because they get a lot of youtube clicks.

Great comics, that's it. Look at comics like Invincible, The Boys, and many others. Creators that just put their heads down and made something great. They earned their readership by making a great product for their readers month after month.

They weren't instant hits, more of a slow burn, just like pre-Unity. Investing in high quality storytelling pays off much more in the long term. Look at where Invincible, The Boys, and Walking started (a single monthly comic book) to where the franchises are now.

Marketing gimmicks for a bunch of quick clicks is less than worthless in my eyes if there isn't actually high level storytelling going on.
That was kind of the point I was hoping to land, that there could potentially be bad publicity. MotA was talking about shock value for publicity.

TidalWave is garbage. Might as well cut a deal with slick hustlers like Nicky B if you are going to use them as an example.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Chiclo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:08:32 pm

They weren't instant hits, more of a slow burn, just like pre-Unity. Investing in high quality storytelling pays off much more in the long term. Look at where Invincible, The Boys, and Walking started (a single monthly comic book) to where the franchises are now.

That was kind of the point I was hoping to land, that there could potentially be bad publicity. MotA was talking about shock value for publicity.

TidalWave is garbage. Might as well cut a deal with slick hustlers like Nicky B if you are going to use them as an example.
Got it, completely agree.

Valiant used to stand for something that we all liked. All of the marketing shenanigans have always been a black eye for Valiant. It's the reason most normal fans dismiss Valiant. It's the complete opposite direction Valiant should go in, imo.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:15:02 pm

I imagine they're bringing Van Lente back on the strength of A&A far more so than because of Psi-Lords, though, heh.
Let’s reflect on what he’s done for Valiant…

A&A - average
Iver Timewalker - average
War Mother - average
Delinquents - average
Immortal Brothers - instantly forgettable
Generation Zero - sub par
Psi Lords - an abomination

:?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:53:17 pm

A&A - average
War Mother - average
Delinquents - average

Interesting. I thought Timewalker was good. I'm not a fan of the comedic tone in A&A, but I also thought it worked. Delinquents was just too comedic. War Mother, from what I recall, was okay. I don't think I read Immortal Brothers or Psi-Lords. Generation Zero was good too from what I recall.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:59:42 pm

A&A - average
War Mother - average
Delinquents - average

Interesting. I thought Timewalker was good. I'm not a fan of the comedic tone in A&A, but I also thought it worked. Delinquents was just too comedic. War Mother, from what I recall, was okay. I don't think I read Immortal Brothers or Psi-Lords. Generation Zero was good too from what I recall.
Not sure that track records warrants constant recalls when there’s tons of other writers.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:09:57 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:59:42 pm

A&A - average
War Mother - average
Delinquents - average

Not sure that track records warrants constant recalls when there’s tons of other writers.
Yeah, but with a body of work like that, he'd be considered an architect of the VEI Universe.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:53:17 pm A&A - average
War Mother - average
Delinquents - average

Wow, I could not disagree more. Van Lente is one of my favorite Valiant writers, especially when he's working on the Immortal Bros side of the universe.

A&A- Nearly perfect.
Ivar- Great
War Mother- Very good
Delinquents- Nothing to write home about, but very fun.
Immortal Bros one-shots- Great
Gen. Zero- Not terrible, but a mess. Just a strange direction to take these characters.
Psi-Lords- Lackluster, but also not terrible.

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:44:58 pm
War Mother - average
Delinquents - average

Wow, I could not disagree more. Van Lente is one of my favorite Valiant writers, especially when he's working on the Immortal Bros side of the universe.

A&A- Nearly perfect.
Ivar- Great
War Mother- Very good
Gen. Zero- Not terrible, but a mess. Just a strange direction to take these characters.
Agree with The Ferg, Van Lente is mostly great and it makes sense they would try and recapture that VEI glory

For me:

A&A - Nearly perfect.
Ivar - Perfection. Thought this was one of the best Valiant stories ever.
War Mother - Very good. Was excited to see a whole world of stories with her.
Delinquents - Fun. Loved the hobo code and song.
Immortal Bros one-shots - Good.
Gen. Zero - This was a mess. A mistake and a sign of things to come with DMG (even though I can't blame them for this one)
Psi-Lords - Very, very bad. But what do you expect when you take away the people that made the books great at VEI.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

syzhang28 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:52:40 pm
War Mother - average
Delinquents - average

A&A- Nearly perfect.
Ivar- Great
War Mother- Very good
Agree with The Ferg, Van Lente is mostly great and it makes sense they would try and recapture that VEI glory
Gen. Zero - This was a mess. A mistake and a sign of things to come with DMG (even though I can't blame them for this one)
Psi-Lords - Very, very bad. But what do you expect when you take away the people that made the books great at VEI.
This doesn’t make sense, :kidaround: Gen zero was squarely an issue with the writing, DMG can’t be blamed unless they employed Van Lente?
Psi Lords was peak woke DMG and Van Lente was the writer so it’s on him. Yes editors take accountability for giving him free reign but ultimately it’s his work.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:12:27 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:52:40 pm
War Mother - average
Delinquents - average

A&A- Nearly perfect.
Ivar- Great
War Mother- Very good
This doesn’t make sense, :kidaround: Gen zero was squarely an issue with the writing, DMG can’t be blamed unless they employed Van Lente?
Psi Lords was peak woke DMG and Van Lente was the writer so it’s on him. Yes editors take accountability for giving him free reign but ultimately it’s his work.
Agree! "(even though I can't blame them for this one)"

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

War Mother - average
Delinquents - average

A&A- Nearly perfect.
Ivar- Great
War Mother- Very good
Out of interest which Valiant books were worse than Psi Lords?

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by TheFerg714 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18:06 pm Out of interest which Valiant books were worse than Psi Lords?
Only a few, if we're looking at VEI: Asmus' Q&W, Unity Vol. 6, Roberts' A+A, Dead Drop.

DMG: Bloodshot Rising Spirit, Livewire Vol. 2-3, The Forgotten Queen, Seeley's Bloodshot, Hopeless' X-O, Savage: The Wild.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

TheFerg714 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52:40 pm
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18:06 pm Out of interest which Valiant books were worse than Psi Lords?
Only a few, if we're looking at VEI: Asmus' Q&W, Unity Vol. 6, Roberts' A+A, Dead Drop.

DMG: Bloodshot Rising Spirit, Livewire Vol. 2-3, The Forgotten Queen, Seeley's Bloodshot, Hopeless' X-O, Savage: The Wild.
Yeah there’s some shockers there, I’d put Psi Lords alongside them though :P

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

EVS can also turn other talent that they need from Valiant who don't want to work for a company that hires an open bigot and who regardless is not a great artist to begin with.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

Cyberstrike wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59:13 am

EVS can also turn other talent that they need from Valiant who don't want to work for a company that hires an open bigot and who regardless is not a great artist to begin with.
And has difficulty meeting deadlines.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Can they answer be Dan Ward? Did you see the incredibly rude response she just posted on Facebook?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:34:52 am Can they answer be Dan Ward? Did you see the incredibly rude response she just posted on Facebook?
Where on Facebook?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

syzhang28 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:34:52 am Can they answer be Dan Ward? Did you see the incredibly rude response she just posted on Facebook?
No, because I don't have Facebook because I am not a 14 year old girl and I don't have grandkids that I want to hear about.

Although, the 14 year old girl thing might not be the most current thing. I think they are on something else, like the instant grahams. And the tick tock. Whatever. I am still not on facebook.