Creating a VH1 reading order by release date.. whos in? Or has it been done?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...
Creating a VH1 reading order by release date.. whos in? Or has it been done?

Post by IanAlexavier »

Greg has a very nice chart that shows release dates but it doesn't show reading order. I know there is a 'Chronological Reading Order' but I was hoping for more of a 'read it like it was revealed the first time' order. So many neat things happened and things were revealed at a later time that gave you that 'Aha!' moment. Re-reading it like it was the first time :)

Thoughts?
Last edited by IanAlexavier on Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:50:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Re: Creating a reading order by release date.. whos in? Or has it been done?

Post by Ryan »

IanAlexavier wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:32:12 pm Greg has a very nice chart that shows release dates but it doesn't show reading order. I know there is a 'Chronological Reading Order' but I was hoping for more of a 'read it like it was revealed the first time' order. So many neat things happened and things were revealed at a later time that gave you that 'Aha!' moment. Re-reading it like it was the first time :)

Thoughts?
:thumb: The first couple years should be easy to figure out, there weren't that many books. I'll work on putting together an order of how they came out week-by-week through Unity.

TheFerg714
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Creating a reading order by release date.. whos in? Or has it been done?

Post by TheFerg714 »

Yes, I made that. At least... I think I kind of did what you're looking for.
https://imgur.com/a/lLSpFcK

My intention was to follow the universe, from beginning to end, while taking into account original release dates, TPB's, as well as alternating between series as much as possible. It's probably not perfectly "in release order," but it's probably as close as possible.
Last edited by TheFerg714 on Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:38:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Re: Creating a VH1 reading order by release date.. whos in? Or has it been done?

Post by IanAlexavier »

Hey, sorry.. Im more interested in VH1 😁

TheFerg714
Valiant fan since: July 2014
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Re: Creating a VH1 reading order by release date.. whos in? Or has it been done?

Post by TheFerg714 »

IanAlexavier wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:51:04 pm Hey, sorry.. Im more interested in VH1 😁
Ugh I'm an idiot, sorry. I got excited to show off my reading order.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

IanAlexavier wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:51:04 pm Hey, sorry.. Im more interested in VH1 😁
Got you man http://www.valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54532

I still need to clean it up a bit, but all the way through Unity is there. I think the week by week gets less important later, even Unity came out a bit out of order if you go by the weeks. Really fun to see how it builds month by month though.

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.

Post by IanAlexavier »

Ryan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:06:39 pm
I still need to clean it up a bit, but all the way through Unity is there. I think the week by week gets less important later, even Unity came out a bit out of order if you go by the weeks. Really fun to see how it builds month by month though.
I will check this out. I completely understand that there are certain inconsistencies but maybe we can see if we can put together a list based on the way they WANTED the story to be read.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

IanAlexavier wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:32:23 pm
Ryan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:06:39 pm
I will check this out. I completely understand that there are certain inconsistencies but maybe we can see if we can put together a list based on the way they WANTED the story to be read.
We just need to figure where the major events and crossovers are and figure out the intended order for those. The issues that don't deal with crossovers or events that affect other books won't need to have a strict order (other than the month of release).

One exception is Magnus 0, which is stated as being the first Valiant Universe comic produced. I do remember getting my mail order version was quite a few months after #8 came out. It was fun to go back and fill in the gap in the story but it would probably read best as the first book in the order.

Harbinger 0 is different, I think it was produced after Unity.