Best Case Scenario...

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa
Re: Best Case Scenario...

Post by The Chosen 1 »

Ryan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:21:37 pm
leonmallett wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:09:57 pm
Ryan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:10:49 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:52:46 am I mean, to the board. It could be great if Ward and MartinAlien came back, but who knows if they will after the way they keep being harassed.
Harrassed is a pretty strong word. Anybody is always welcome to post here, but this has been a fan board since 2001, it should remain that way.
Objectively, it appeared toi me that they were subject to harassment here.
Harassment is a serious allegation to throw around. To make an accusation that serious, you should have to show a specific example.

This is a fan message board, so there's plenty of examples of people saying rude things or trolling each other, but being rude does not equal harassment.

Claiming people were harassed on this board without showing any proof is reckless and harmful to this community. If you can't back it up, then don't say sh!t like that.

syzhang28 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:14:22 pm Wow. Really, really bad anatomy. Every head is too small. Livewire's boobs are bigger than her head. The forearms are too short. X-O's right arm doesn't make any sense and what's up with his green face? Glass? Okay, but why? This looks so C grade. Remember when Lewis LaRosa used to draw these characters...
Is this harassment to you? If so you need to check your dictionary.
I'm not speaking on behalf of Leonmallet, but i understand what he means. I'm not going to get pedantic, but telling people who work for Alien that they don't know what they are talking about, that maybe they don't actually work at Alien or they are a nobody at Alien (i'm paraphrasing here), it was extremely idiotic, immature and rude. Maybe not dictionary definition Harrassment, but after the way they were attacked, i'm suprised Danielle & Martin even make the occassional comments on here. I haven't got time to copy the posts, but look for any thread started by syzhang28. He has a history of cheering for failure.

The post you quoted isn't the harrassment that Leonmullet is talking about. There are planty of examples that can be easily found and you chose a pretty poor example. There are plenty to choose from.

I really enjoy seeing them interact with us on here and would love it if they did drop in from time to time and give us some teasers or just chat with us.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

The Chosen 1 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:21:20 pm
I'm not speaking on behalf of Leonmallet, but i understand what he means. I'm not going to get pedantic, but telling people who work for Alien that they don't know what they are talking about, that maybe they don't actually work at Alien or they are a nobody at Alien (i'm paraphrasing here), it was extremely idiotic, immature and rude. Maybe not dictionary definition Harassment, but after the way they were attacked, i'm suprised Danielle & Martin even make the occassional comments on here. I haven't got time to copy the posts, but look for any thread started by syzhang28. He has a history of cheering for failure.
Cool, then just call it that. My only issue is with the use of the word harassment, it's too heavy of an accusation to be throwing around lightly without supporting it. If it's really that serious it should be reported and he should be banned.

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:25:49 pm
leonmallett wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:08:15 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:05:57 am
leonmallett wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:22:18 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:55:24 am ...creators like Layton, Hall, etc. should be given the chance to wrap up the stories of the VH 1 iterations of X-O Manowar and Shadowman (as detailed in Rai #0) in either mini-series form (like Q2) or graphic novels.

The true death of Shadowman need not be a massive line-wide crossover. It can be contained within the boundaries of a Shadowman-centric series.

Ideally, this should be done sooner rather than later. I do wish VEI had allowed Hall to do that rather than done Q2.
Why is that the best case scenario? Other than personal preferences what is the compelling case for looking backwards?
It's not looking backwards, it's putting a pin on VH 1 and ending it the way that it should be ended; not by turning it into a knock-off of Silver Age DC like Nicieza did, but by telling the stories previewed in Rai #0.
Returning to a milieu defunct for over 25 years to give it a capstone ending is the definition of looking backwards.
Meh. I'd argue that it's really not. We've seen that sort of closure in other mediums. Look at Picard.
Can you perhaps find a better example? Next Gen didn’t need closure and the first two seasons of Picard were hot garbage. The third season was only so well regarded for the many shortcomings of the other two.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:24:24 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:25:49 pm
leonmallett wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:08:15 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:05:57 am
leonmallett wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:22:18 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:55:24 am ...creators like Layton, Hall, etc. should be given the chance to wrap up the stories of the VH 1 iterations of X-O Manowar and Shadowman (as detailed in Rai #0) in either mini-series form (like Q2) or graphic novels.

The true death of Shadowman need not be a massive line-wide crossover. It can be contained within the boundaries of a Shadowman-centric series.

Ideally, this should be done sooner rather than later. I do wish VEI had allowed Hall to do that rather than done Q2.
Why is that the best case scenario? Other than personal preferences what is the compelling case for looking backwards?
It's not looking backwards, it's putting a pin on VH 1 and ending it the way that it should be ended; not by turning it into a knock-off of Silver Age DC like Nicieza did, but by telling the stories previewed in Rai #0.
Returning to a milieu defunct for over 25 years to give it a capstone ending is the definition of looking backwards.
Meh. I'd argue that it's really not. We've seen that sort of closure in other mediums. Look at Picard.
Can you perhaps find a better example? Next Gen didn’t need closure and the first two seasons of Picard were hot garbage. The third season was only so well regarded for the many shortcomings of the other two.
After Nemesis, yeah, it did, heh. I liked all three.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:52:46 am I mean, to the board. It could be great if Ward and MartinAlien came back, but who knows if they will after the way they keep being harassed.
Harrassed is a pretty strong word. Anybody is always welcome to post here, but this has been a fan board since 2001, it should remain that way.
Harassment is a serious allegation to throw around. To make an accusation that serious, you should have to show a specific example.

This is a fan message board, so there's plenty of examples of people saying rude things or trolling each other, but being rude does not equal harassment.

Claiming people were harassed on this board without showing any proof is reckless and harmful to this community. If you can't back it up, then don't say sh!t like that.

syzhang28 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:14:22 pm Wow. Really, really bad anatomy. Every head is too small. Livewire's boobs are bigger than her head. The forearms are too short. X-O's right arm doesn't make any sense and what's up with his green face? Glass? Okay, but why? This looks so C grade. Remember when Lewis LaRosa used to draw these characters...
I'm not speaking on behalf of Leonmallet, but i understand what he means. I'm not going to get pedantic, but telling people who work for Alien that they don't know what they are talking about, that maybe they don't actually work at Alien or they are a nobody at Alien (i'm paraphrasing here), it was extremely idiotic, immature and rude. Maybe not dictionary definition Harrassment, but after the way they were attacked, i'm suprised Danielle & Martin even make the occassional comments on here. I haven't got time to copy the posts, but look for any thread started by syzhang28. He has a history of cheering for failure.

The post you quoted isn't the harrassment that Leonmullet is talking about. There are planty of examples that can be easily found and you chose a pretty poor example. There are plenty to choose from.

I really enjoy seeing them interact with us on here and would love it if they did drop in from time to time and give us some teasers or just chat with us.
Would love to see some examples of harassment too. You won't find any. The quoted post is an opinion. And a correct one for anyone that has any taste in art. Meanwhile the accusation of harassment is defacto defamation...

If anything the only harassment as been the posts directed at me.

Alien refuse to post here because they know I will keep calling it like it is. Remember when they refuted my claim that they were bringing back old creators. I notice nobody likes to bring that up now that its proven correct with Fred Van Lente, Peter Milligan, James Asmus and Jody Houser all back.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

syzhang28 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:58:13 am

Would love to see some examples of harassment too. You won't find any. The quoted post is an opinion. And a correct one for anyone that has any taste in art. Meanwhile the accusation of harassment is defacto defamation...

If anything the only harassment as been the posts directed at me.

Alien refuse to post here because they know I will keep calling it like it is. Remember when they refuted my claim that they were bringing back old creators. I notice nobody likes to bring that up now that its proven correct with Fred Van Lente, Peter Milligan, James Asmus and Jody Houser all back.

Here you go:
MartinAlien wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:58:47 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:24:43 pm Nobody. He's just saying stuff to make his point. MartinAlien already posted in this very thread, and you couldn't get Danielle to stop posting on fan boards if it was her job.

It's true. After you kept calling me unprofessional and recommended me to get media training, I realized I was just wasting my time and decided to stop posting on this message board. I read every thread because I do care what fans think, but I stopped interacting since my replies only encouraged you to be a louder bully.

Collins dictionary:
(hærəsmənt)
UNCOUNTABLE NOUN [oft adjective NOUN]
Harassment is behaviour which is intended to trouble or annoy someone, for example repeated attacks on them or attempts to cause them problems.
Cambridge dictionary:
harass
verb [ T ]
UK /ˈhær.əs/ /həˈræs/ US /həˈræs/ /ˈher.əs/
Add to word list
to continue to annoy or upset someone over a period of time:
See it, don't see it, that is your choice.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

"Nobody. He's just saying stuff to make his point. MartinAlien already posted in this very thread, and you couldn't get Danielle to stop posting on fan boards if it was her job."

This is not harassment. Martin made claims not based in facts. He was and is trying to distract from the fact that my shop is right about what they are doing.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

leonmallett wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:52:14 am Here you go:
syzhang28 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:24:43 pm Nobody. He's just saying stuff to make his point. MartinAlien already posted in this very thread, and you couldn't get Danielle to stop posting on fan boards if it was her job.

It's true. After you kept calling me unprofessional and recommended me to get media training, I realized I was just wasting my time and decided to stop posting on this message board. I read every thread because I do care what fans think, but I stopped interacting since my replies only encouraged you to be a louder bully.

Collins dictionary:
(hærəsmənt)
Harassment is behaviour which is intended to trouble or annoy someone, for example repeated attacks on them or attempts to cause them problems.
Cambridge dictionary:
harass
verb [ T ]
Add to word list
Cool man, this is your big nasty harassment:
Wow, how could anyone survive after that? I can't believe people can say such horrible things on the internet. :roll:

So basically if it's a Valiant employee anything that isn't 100% obsequious praise is considered harassment, but if it's just a regular Valiant fan anybody can say whatever they like to them? Much much worse things were said the other way.

I don't agree with everything syzhang says and sometimes he might even be a little rude, but I like that he keeps it real, says what he thinks, and defends his viewpoints.

If you just want to interact with Valiant employees so you can get insider information or try to impress them so they'll give you a job, please just do that on facebook or twitter.

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:00:43 am
leonmallett wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:52:14 am Here you go:

Collins dictionary:
(hærəsmənt)
Cambridge dictionary:
harass
verb [ T ]
Add to word list
Cool man, this is your big nasty harassment:
Wow, how could anyone survive after that? I can't believe people can say such horrible things on the internet. :roll:

So basically if it's a Valiant employee anything that isn't 100% obsequious praise is considered harassment, but if it's just a regular Valiant fan anybody can say whatever they like to them? Much much worse things were said the other way.

I don't agree with everything syzhang says and sometimes he might even be a little rude, but I like that he keeps it real, says what he thinks, and defends his viewpoints.

If you just want to interact with Valiant employees so you can get insider information or try to impress them so they'll give you a job, please just do that on facebook or twitter.
I think you will find syzhang posted many more comments than the isolated one you pulled out. In addition, you are choosing to read into my comments. You have your biases, and that is on you.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

leonmallett wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:33:18 am I think you will find syzhang posted many more comments than the isolated one you pulled out. In addition, you are choosing to read into my comments. You have your biases, and that is on you.
I've read all of syzhang's posts and none of them come anywhere close to harassment for me. But if they do for you, that's your opinion, fair enough.

My bias is that we should treat everyone the same? Just because someone asks blunt and borderline rude questions to Valiant employees doesn't make me want to tar and feather him. :?

It all seems like pretty harmless bluntness to me. If anything it's good training for the Valiant employees. Anyone who works in media or wants to work on established properties will have to learn how to deal with unhappy fans. Can you imagine some of the things people say to the people who make Star Wars media? You have to learn how to handle it or you won't make it in media.

Or you can just make your own comic and do a kickstarter? Maybe no one will buy it, but then no one will criticize you either. Working on established properties comes with money because there's a built in audience, that has advantages and disadvantages. Anything that gets a lot of attention will attract both positive and negative responses. Just the facts of life. :?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:01:57 am I've read all of syzhang's posts and none of them come anywhere close to harassment for me. But if they do for you, that's your opinion, fair enough.
It's not just his opinion. They come off as harassment to me too. Not discourse, but outright attacks. And mainly unprovoked and directed at the wrong people. He is attacking Alien Books over DMG's bs with the Kickstarter, when AB had NOTHING to do with it.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:40:06 pm
Ryan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:01:57 am I've read all of syzhang's posts and none of them come anywhere close to harassment for me. But if they do for you, that's your opinion, fair enough.
It's not just his opinion. They come off as harassment to me too. Not discourse, but outright attacks. And mainly unprovoked and directed at the wrong people. He is attacking Alien Books over DMG's bs with the Kickstarter, when AB had NOTHING to do with it.
Got it, you guys are seriously offended. Maybe ask greg or Daniel Jackson to ban him? Harassment is a pretty serious offense.

Just so we're clear, this is what you're considering harassment?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:10:43 pm
Got it, you guys are seriously offended. Maybe ask greg or Daniel Jackson to ban him? Harassment is a pretty serious offense.

It is not just that. That is just an example of it.

I have no interest in getting anyone banned. I'm interesting in seeing the board grow by having people that read VALIANT and make VALIANT take part in the conversation here.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:40:29 pm
Ryan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:10:43 pm

It is not just that. That is just an example of it.

I have no interest in getting anyone banned. I'm interesting in seeing the board grow by having people that read VALIANT and make VALIANT take part in the conversation here.
I know what crosses the line. What's harassment. I haven't done it. No one can provide an example. And I haven't been banned. MOTA on the other hand doesn't know. That's why he got banned. Loving all the accusations without evidence. The constant finger pointing and unsubstantiated accusing has me feeling something. Not quite sure how to describe it. I guess I would say, I'm feeling harassed.