See-Through Chromium Errors

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
See-Through Chromium Errors

Post by Chiclo »

I have been on a bit of a kick picking up cheap VH1 error Chromium covers. I am not sure what to call them, "see-through?" or Chormium-less?

First up was this Bloodshot, from Hawaii.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/355358620876

The interesting thing is, this guy put up another auction with the same picture, so he might have multiples?

Then I got this Ninjak - I have seen Ninjaks where you can see through the orange panel in the large N in Ninjak but never one where it was so see-through as this one. I think it has seen some hard use over the years and some of the colour has come off from inside the cover.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404241497416

There are a few Ninjak 1s with the see through N panel on eBay right now but they are all $20 or more, more than I am wanting to spend.

And this seller of the Ninjak 0 had this Shadowman 0. I was not totally sure if this was see-through or not but what finally convinced me was the dark bar over the big Jack face's shoulder.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404241490992

I remember the topic of these errors has come up before but I just remember the Ninjak? Has there been any wider discussion of these on the board that anyone can remember?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

THEWGZK
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: BWS
Re: See-Through Chromium Errors

Post by THEWGZK »

Those are super fun to collect. It's interesting to see all the varying levels of missing chromium on those covers. I don't think I have a Psi-Lords, but I have different Bloodshot's, Ninjak's, Shadowman's and even a Geomancer.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

THEWGZK wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:11:02 am Those are super fun to collect. It's interesting to see all the varying levels of missing chromium on those covers. I don't think I have a Psi-Lords, but I have different Bloodshot's, Ninjak's, Shadowman's and even a Geomancer.
Have you got a pic of a Geomancer? Are they easy to tell apart, like around the logo?

daniellew61
Still Valiant after all these years.

Post by daniellew61 »

I wonder if so many of these came out because of the extras the printer was skimming for themselves (Jim Shooter mistakenly likes to tell the story about this as "Bootleg comics" lol) or if it was just a genuine lack of quality control at the time since soo much was coming out! Chromium is super pricey.

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

Cool idea to collect these. :thumb:

/Magnus

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

daniellew61 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:48:53 am I wonder if so many of these came out because of the extras the printer was skimming for themselves (Jim Shooter mistakenly likes to tell the story about this as "Bootleg comics" lol) or if it was just a genuine lack of quality control at the time since soo much was coming out! Chromium is super pricey.
These books had print runs in the mid-to-high six figures and the same type of error is found in several different books that use the same gimmick cover. That doesn’t sound like a likely candidate for skimming to me? Maybe so, using overrun and erroneous covers? Were these skimmed comics that common during the early 90s boom? Is it a problem still? I had only heard about this skimming in the context of pre-Unity comics, which were sort of valuable once upon a time.

daniellew61

Post by daniellew61 »

Oh it’s allllll possible

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I've noticed these far more on Ninjak. Slightly fewer on Bloodshot. None on Shadowman and very few on Geomancer and X-O.

I love them all and keep every on I find. :)

THEWGZK
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite artist: BWS

Post by THEWGZK »

Chiclo wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:55:57 am
THEWGZK wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:11:02 am Those are super fun to collect. It's interesting to see all the varying levels of missing chromium on those covers. I don't think I have a Psi-Lords, but I have different Bloodshot's, Ninjak's, Shadowman's and even a Geomancer.
Have you got a pic of a Geomancer? Are they easy to tell apart, like around the logo?
I will dig it out and get pictures. The one I have isnt super noticeable, almost skipped over it in a dollar bin.

As for skimming, there was no need to skim these books in such high print runs(I agree with another response). Its chromium acetate, low print ink and bad QC are likely the culprit.

I dont think I've ever seen an X-O one though.