Just not feeling it anymore

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: Just not feeling it anymore

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:12:25 pm
nycjadie wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:03:03 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:53:32 am Arguably, one of the most important examples of how the tone of VALIANT's comics differed from that of DC and Marvel and made them more grounded was that Phil Seleski -- an energy God struggling to retain his humanity -- regularly met with a psychologist.

That sort of anchor kept him grounded because it made him more human. It showed that the series was not about a man with God-like power, it was about a God with man-made neuroses.

Then you had Magnus trying to understand whether he was man or machine, a very valid question given he was brought up by a robot and he could made his hands strong as steel.

Those sorts of questions are not found in average comic books. Byrne's Superman tackled similar themes as Magnus. Is he Clark or is he Kal-El? That sort of thing.

The contrast to that is slop like All Star Superman and VH-2, urgh.
'
As I read this, I thought 90s Valiant is the The Sopranos of comic books!
For sure. They both grounded genre fiction with realistic elements and realistic characters, while still doing the fun things that people like about the genres.

As opposed to deconstruction (like Alan Moore), who's goal is to tear down the genre tropes and reveal why they're unrealistic and stupid. It's not about enjoying anything, but feeling smarter and superior to those that do.
Indeed, heh.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:08:15 pm This thread is amazing.

Sometimes the better friend is the one who tells you how they see it instead of telling you what you want to hear. That's the kind of friend the more critical members of this board can be to Alien. The blunt, straightforward friend who won't sugarcoat what they think. That can be very valuable if the goal is to learn and grow.
Indeed.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:45:18 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:29:41 pm Literally the whole point of the Valiant Solar book is that despite people thinking that its not true. You need to separate the rhetoric from the text.
The accident turned Phil and Erica into Gods, and whereas he struggled to retain his humanity, she reveled in her godhood, hence her becoming Mothergod.
Nothing in the book is him struggling to retain his humanity. Plenty in the book is the fact that he has humanity creating complicated consequences to also having god like powers. A god struggling to retain his humanity wouldn't accidentally kill his girlfriend, emotional meltdown, destory the universe and remake it filled with his own human flaws. That's someone who very much has their humanity and very much struggles with the powers. Not the other way around as you are proposing.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:26:19 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:45:18 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:29:41 pm Literally the whole point of the Valiant Solar book is that despite people thinking that its not true. You need to separate the rhetoric from the text.
The accident turned Phil and Erica into Gods, and whereas he struggled to retain his humanity, she reveled in her godhood, hence her becoming Mothergod.
Nothing in the book is him struggling to retain his humanity. Plenty in the book is the fact that he has humanity creating complicated consequences to also having god like powers. A god struggling to retain his humanity wouldn't accidentally kill his girlfriend, emotional meltdown, destory the universe and remake it filled with his own human flaws. That's someone who very much has their humanity and very much struggles with the powers. Not the other way around as you are proposing.
Erica had the same exact powers, and she didn't *SQUEE* up as often as Phil did. The only difference between the two was that he didn't embrace the power like she did because he was still struggling to retain his humanity. Had he discarded it, like she did hers, he wouldn't have been as careless with his power.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:13:49 pm Indeed, heh.
This is one of my problems with modern comics writing (including SOME of the VEI writing). Too much deconstruction just because it's 'cool'.

Deconstruction is 'cool' because Alan Moore and Grant Morrison do it, it's always cool to be smug and superior and laugh at the rubes who actually like super hero comics.

Vh1 was full of super hero tropes. Super armor, alien invasions, super karate guy with magic weapons, etc etc. They embraced the genres but just tried to make it more realistic and logical, 'make it make sense', so someone with an adult brain could read it and enjoy it.

That's a big reason why Valiant has never been seen as 'cool' within comic circles. It was too sincere and straightforward. It's always much cooler to be like Grant Morrison and deconstruct/subvert the genres so the readers can feel superior to the guy who reads Spider-man :roll:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:32:43 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:13:49 pm Indeed, heh.
This is one of my problems with modern comics writing (including SOME of the VEI writing). Too much deconstruction just because it's 'cool'.

Deconstruction is 'cool' because Alan Moore and Grant Morrison do it, it's always cool to be smug and superior and laugh at the rubes who actually like super hero comics.

Vh1 was full of super hero tropes. Super armor, alien invasions, super karate guy with magic weapons, etc etc. They embraced the genres but just tried to make it more realistic and logical, 'make it make sense', so someone with an adult brain could read it and enjoy it.

That's a big reason why Valiant has never been seen as 'cool' within comic circles. It was too sincere and straightforward. It's always much cooler to be like Grant Morrison and deconstruct/subvert the genres so the readers can feel superior to the guy who reads Spider-man :roll:
Morrison's a hack. I'm glad he's never written for VALIANT.

Phantom
I will call my mum and ask what the *SQUEE* is going on.
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

I am not going to say - let me just say, or in my opinion. this is the internet, so even if I was not I could say it anyway.

In my opinion, let me just say - comics are dying and new readers are the key. It a consistently slowing market comics are overshadowed my computer games, films, online videos via youtube, and other online stuff I have never used ( tick tock, instagrame, twitter).

This is instant, in a world where now I get annoyed when my computer or phone sleeps and I have to type in my code to have access to all the information in every library in the world, or clash or clans wants to update. All this 'free' sources at hidden expense via cost of broadband and computer devices is cheap in compared to a comic book.

How many comics books have been printed and reprinted, all available much cheaper than the original purchase price?
Complete runs of great books on ebay, much cheaper than buying a few new books.

Comic book publishers are not just competing with all the new technology outside the industry, or related to it. Competing not just with each other on the store front, but competing with all their old stock held by people who are no longer interested in reading their comics and selling them via ebay.

This is a difficult market, and even with deep pockets like David Steward II with Loin Forge Comics and catalyst comics, and previously crossgen with Mark Allessie, both have disappeared.

Yes we want new readers of valiant, otherwise it will die. Dying in a dying market. But if you want to sell comics, new readers will not come to valiant. They will go to DC marvel or image. But most likely not, due to cover price.

I am fortunate enough not having to look at cover price of a comic to decide if I will purchase it. When I saw alien ninjak issue 1 and 2 in prestige format I thought HELL YEAH, awsome - but then I flicked through them for 3 or 4 minutes ( I did not read it, just trying to get a feel for the book), and thought I am not buying that ( actually don't even look at the price).

Could not be bothered with a mini, which I hated during the relaunch, I want consistent numbering, probably the few left that do.

SO let me just say, in my opinion the following quote from nycjadie (which after all these years I just realised is nyc newyorkcity Jadie is that correct?)
nycjadie wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:59:59 pm This is why so many have stated (sometimes unproductively) that the publisher should appeal to the hard core fans and not the new readers. I think they have a point to a large degree. You can’t get new readers without an active community and following. You can’t publish books without an active fan base.
Parts of the relaunch did not appeal to me, the majority of it did. How many readers where their? The community member here, Dinesh restarted with a fresh take, and the community members (hard core fans) brought comics. How many NEW readers came on to read the valiant books, members and non members? it slowly dwindled? did it? - I don't have data. But it was a hard slog, falling readers in a falling market. But their was a market and it was sustainable? (only Dinesh would know). Was it sustainable? With more films and interst, and Valiant pushing hard for readership maybe so.

Let me just say, in my opinion - consistency sells comics. Constantly on the shelf, a presence in the market place, that has not been so over the last few years with change DMG, now alien. Good luck to Alien, but its hard, second change. Start stop, change, stop start in whatever order you put it. NYC JADIE - you cannot sell books without a fan base, but this chop change has destroyed the fan base.

My fizzle out - not feeling anymore - started under relaunch with all the alternate covers on pretty much every issue released ( some I really liked, individually) but every issue all the time had an alternate cover. Also the constant mini series, sorry I keep on about that, I have said in many times in the past.

I read them, and enjoyed them.

Are you still even reading this?

In my opinion, let me just say - Greg (and Daniel Jackson unsung hero moderator) , have done more for Valiant since acclaim than anyone else. Greg kept this message board going, and still does. Through thick and thin. People may speak of Dinesh, relaunch and the investment of time and money.

For me, honestly I would have probably stopped reading during relaunch. Or most likely, not have read every issue. But being part of this community kept me going. I enjoyed the comics more, being part of this community.

So why quit now? Is it financial? No, but also yes. Why spend money to continue something just to have a complete collection, if you don't enjoy it? Habit? Complete collection, relaunch killed that for me, not way that is possible, and I couldn't be bothered even if the books where cheap. To many covers to remember, to old to invest the time, just for a different covers.

To many comics books? No I have moved into a new house, just around the corner from my old house. It is much larger, so space is not a problem. I am just not reading my comics like I used to. I had boxes by my bed, and also downstairs by the sofa, unbag and read, put back _ over and over. Its just I have so many, I could re read them all, and it would be years? before I would get bored. But as I said in first post, a novel is just easier _ I may bring a trade paperback on holiday, but its a quick read. Novels are much better, and I would never bring comic books on holiday, to much space for such quick reads.

Rather than keep writing, I'll just stop. I will looks out for valiant comics here on the boards, maybe pick up a few here and their - pending the character and content, as it will not be stocked in my local comic shop.

WOW, how to end it? Good luck alien, wish you the best. I will still visit the best website on the internet. Maybe Greg should contact his website launch day friend. two website debuts on same day! Must be a connection their. Hit him up to buy Valiant.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

I posted this in another thread: The more I read the “Just Not Feeling it Anymore” thread, the more I think I am done buying single issues. I don’t want to mess with bags and boards, storing them in short boxes, and waiting 2 or 4 months to read a complete story. :!:

Finally, with limited resources due to my youngest attending an out of state university, I have to draw the line somewhere. Maybe they can take the Faith 2 shot series and combine them with the other Faith stories that have not been collected in a hardcover format. I would buy that hardcover edition. Punk Mambo, not so much.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Phantom wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:12:17 am I am not going to say - let me just say, or in my opinion. this is the internet, so even if I was not I could say it anyway.

In my opinion, let me just say - comics are dying and new readers are the key. It a consistently slowing market comics are overshadowed my computer games, films, online videos via youtube, and other online stuff I have never used ( tick tock, instagrame, twitter).

This is instant, in a world where now I get annoyed when my computer or phone sleeps and I have to type in my code to have access to all the information in every library in the world, or clash or clans wants to update. All this 'free' sources at hidden expense via cost of broadband and computer devices is cheap in compared to a comic book.

How many comics books have been printed and reprinted, all available much cheaper than the original purchase price?
Complete runs of great books on ebay, much cheaper than buying a few new books.

Comic book publishers are not just competing with all the new technology outside the industry, or related to it. Competing not just with each other on the store front, but competing with all their old stock held by people who are no longer interested in reading their comics and selling them via ebay.

This is a difficult market, and even with deep pockets like David Steward II with Loin Forge Comics and catalyst comics, and previously crossgen with Mark Allessie, both have disappeared.

Yes we want new readers of valiant, otherwise it will die. Dying in a dying market. But if you want to sell comics, new readers will not come to valiant. They will go to DC marvel or image. But most likely not, due to cover price.

I am fortunate enough not having to look at cover price of a comic to decide if I will purchase it. When I saw alien ninjak issue 1 and 2 in prestige format I thought HELL YEAH, awsome - but then I flicked through them for 3 or 4 minutes ( I did not read it, just trying to get a feel for the book), and thought I am not buying that ( actually don't even look at the price).

Could not be bothered with a mini, which I hated during the relaunch, I want consistent numbering, probably the few left that do.

SO let me just say, in my opinion the following quote from nycjadie (which after all these years I just realised is nyc newyorkcity Jadie is that correct?)
nycjadie wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:59:59 pm This is why so many have stated (sometimes unproductively) that the publisher should appeal to the hard core fans and not the new readers. I think they have a point to a large degree. You can’t get new readers without an active community and following. You can’t publish books without an active fan base.
Parts of the relaunch did not appeal to me, the majority of it did. How many readers where their? The community member here, Dinesh restarted with a fresh take, and the community members (hard core fans) brought comics. How many NEW readers came on to read the valiant books, members and non members? it slowly dwindled? did it? - I don't have data. But it was a hard slog, falling readers in a falling market. But their was a market and it was sustainable? (only Dinesh would know). Was it sustainable? With more films and interst, and Valiant pushing hard for readership maybe so.

Let me just say, in my opinion - consistency sells comics. Constantly on the shelf, a presence in the market place, that has not been so over the last few years with change DMG, now alien. Good luck to Alien, but its hard, second change. Start stop, change, stop start in whatever order you put it. NYC JADIE - you cannot sell books without a fan base, but this chop change has destroyed the fan base.

My fizzle out - not feeling anymore - started under relaunch with all the alternate covers on pretty much every issue released ( some I really liked, individually) but every issue all the time had an alternate cover. Also the constant mini series, sorry I keep on about that, I have said in many times in the past.

I read them, and enjoyed them.

Are you still even reading this?

In my opinion, let me just say - Greg (and Daniel Jackson unsung hero moderator) , have done more for Valiant since acclaim than anyone else. Greg kept this message board going, and still does. Through thick and thin. People may speak of Dinesh, relaunch and the investment of time and money.

For me, honestly I would have probably stopped reading during relaunch. Or most likely, not have read every issue. But being part of this community kept me going. I enjoyed the comics more, being part of this community.

So why quit now? Is it financial? No, but also yes. Why spend money to continue something just to have a complete collection, if you don't enjoy it? Habit? Complete collection, relaunch killed that for me, not way that is possible, and I couldn't be bothered even if the books where cheap. To many covers to remember, to old to invest the time, just for a different covers.

To many comics books? No I have moved into a new house, just around the corner from my old house. It is much larger, so space is not a problem. I am just not reading my comics like I used to. I had boxes by my bed, and also downstairs by the sofa, unbag and read, put back _ over and over. Its just I have so many, I could re read them all, and it would be years? before I would get bored. But as I said in first post, a novel is just easier _ I may bring a trade paperback on holiday, but its a quick read. Novels are much better, and I would never bring comic books on holiday, to much space for such quick reads.

Rather than keep writing, I'll just stop. I will looks out for valiant comics here on the boards, maybe pick up a few here and their - pending the character and content, as it will not be stocked in my local comic shop.

WOW, how to end it? Good luck alien, wish you the best. I will still visit the best website on the internet. Maybe Greg should contact his website launch day friend. two website debuts on same day! Must be a connection their. Hit him up to buy Valiant.
Good read. A lot of truth in what you say, I'm sure many can relate.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

NYC is my old home town. Jadie is my middle name. I adopted an email with these two words about 25 years ago for use on websites like this. :)

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

I’m still feeling it, I’m just feeling less of it lately.

One element of that is certainly the aging effect. I like to continue to grow & learn from my life experiences as I go along, and actively engage in change when I feel that need as well (which is not necessarily often, I do tend to be comfortable with who I am most of the time and despise change just for the sake of change). I did turn 50 last year and I’ve been reflecting on where I’m at in life quite a bit over the last few months. I have felt an urge to refresh and update a little as a result, and I’ve been thinking about my connection with comics among other things.

Comics remain a massive passion for me personally, much more so than just as a collectible hobby or for the sake of nostalgia (although I like those aspects of it too!). My lifelong dream was to become a famous comic book artist. I didn’t quite land that dream, but I can say I have done some published indie-level work, and continue to have opportunities to produce work at that level where and when I can make time for it. I’m proud of getting that far at least. I don’t want to blow this out of proportion, but I often feel depressed about not achieving that dream more fully as well. I live a little vicariously through my wife’s career as a professional illustrator, which does help a little with that :lol:

Since I began maturing as a teenager, I have seen comics more & more as a storytelling medium that has vast potential beyond just one genre (aka the typical superhero genre), and I’ve always been inspired to try to make them as well as immerse myself in reading my favourites over and over. I continue to enjoy following new series and new publishers that do other exciting things with stories in genres beyond what has become a bit of a tired one in superheroes, but I do less of that exploring lately as well.

Don’t get the wrong idea here, I do still enjoy the superhero genre and all (and I’m not criticizing anyone out there who enjoys them as much or more than I do) - but as one example, complaining about the quality of the latest Spider-Man stories when there is a 60+ year long soap opera over hundreds if not thousands of comics about him seems a little bit silly to me anymore. That kind of title (and all comics) is there for entertainment and I don’t knock it for that - but it’s not always going to appeal to everyone anymore and I’ve long since stopped expecting it to. I think of Valiant in a similar manner these days - it has less decades of that back-log of stories than Marvel or DC, but it does still have decades worth of stories already told… and I just don’t expect everything they do to appeal to me. They don’t have to.

I also had a bit of a personally traumatic experience at the start of the year that dovetailed with that already growing urge to go through my personal belongings and collections, and trim it all down a bit. I needed a bit of psychological reset/mind clearing activity as the physical clutter felt tied to some mental clutter. I needed to clear out things that I no longer feel a connection to.

As far as my comic collection goes - I think I’ve got about 5 long boxes-worth of books set aside now that are gonna go out the door. That is the single largest purge of comics I have ever done, and instead of being a painful or traumatic experience of letting go, it felt like a weight lifted and my brain de-fragged a little. It felt like a healthy choice. It cleared up some mental *and* physical space (I do still have about 20 long boxes or so remaining, so it wasn’t *that* big of a purge, lol). There is some 90’s Valiant & some VEI Valiant in that mix of books I’m letting go of - but I still have kept plenty of both eras that give me joy to read (probably about 3 long boxes worth).

I want to move towards making even more digital comic purchases over printed books in order to keep enjoying my favourite hobby without accumulating excess piles of physical objects that I do not feel strong passion for. Modern comics look just as good on a tablet screen as they do in print, to me. I will continue to buy modern print books, but only the ones that do make me very happy & feel compelled to read over and over again, and enjoy doing that with the comic book there in my hands. There are less modern comics that appeal to me as much lately, but I really enjoy the ones that I choose to keep up with &/or most of the ones that I take a chance on and try out. I also tend to enjoy the feeling of not overdoing it or making poor, unrewarding compulsive choices that I’ll regret later.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phantom
Location: I would rather be under the stars in a tent, or on a park bench.

Post by Phantom »

grendeljd wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:06:18 am
I also had a bit of a personally traumatic experience at the start of the year that dovetailed with that already growing urge to go through my personal belongings and collections, and trim it all down a bit. I needed a bit of psychological reset/mind clearing activity as the physical clutter felt tied to some mental clutter. I needed to clear out things that I no longer feel a connection to.
Glad you are into digital comics, it doesn't do it for me.

But I agree with you , physical cutter really affects / effects my mental state. It really does. It upsets and stresses me.

My father has gone through this and got rid of everything ( well almost). He actually buys individual screws and bolts etc, rather than a box (at more expense) to save having stuff around. He lives in a big house, with a workshop.

Sometimes I feel my possessions own me, rather the other way arround. Maybe thats why I am in this mess.

Latter in life I just want to sit down and read and re- read my collection. Enjoying all the stories. But my mind set is that its a waste of time. even though retired I will always work - I love what I do. Or should I say did. But still do all the time, I get great enjoyment form my work that I do. I cannot see myself stopping , just to read comics.
I wish their was a Spinal Tap comic, and I had a copy CGC graded at 11.

grendeljd
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Phantom wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:56:13 pm
grendeljd wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:06:18 am
Glad you are into digital comics, it doesn't do it for me.

But I agree with you , physical cutter really affects / effects my mental state. It really does. It upsets and stresses me.

My father has gone through this and got rid of everything ( well almost). He actually buys individual screws and bolts etc, rather than a box (at more expense) to save having stuff around. He lives in a big house, with a workshop.

Sometimes I feel my possessions own me, rather the other way arround. Maybe thats why I am in this mess.

Latter in life I just want to sit down and read and re- read my collection. Enjoying all the stories. But my mind set is that its a waste of time. even though retired I will always work - I love what I do. Or should I say did. But still do all the time, I get great enjoyment form my work that I do. I cannot see myself stopping , just to read comics.
Wow, I’m surprised anyone read that long ramble of mine (written in the middle of a long nightshift at work no less!), let alone respond to any part of it, haha! Thanks man!

For me the idea of buying digital is a huge relief as a viable alternative option when considering the pros and cons of accumulating unwanted physical clutter. It only works for me in terms of modern comics though - as I mentioned before, the production value of current comics is such that there’s no wide gulf between looking at an electronic copy vs. a print copy, in my mind. I have *zero* interest in digital versions of old newsprint/4-colour era comics though. The full joy of the experience requires tactile interaction, and electronic formats cannot recapture the vibe of the simpler process of those ink tones printed on newsprint.

As to your other statements - no judgement from me here, but I would make the observation that it seems you are standing in the way of your own happiness to some extent, by worrying about justifying how you spend your time on earth. It is good that you enjoy the work that you choose to do, that’s a perfectly healthy mindset. But other than causing harm to others, I do not personally believe that there is a right and a wrong way to spend your time - there is no meaning to anything we do as a species on earth other than the meaning we *choose* to attach to things.

So choose to enjoy whatever you want to enjoy and find happiness and joy in whatever that happens to be while you are here (again, other than things that cause harm to others :lol: )
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

grendeljd wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:06:18 am As far as my comic collection goes - I think I’ve got about 5 long boxes-worth of books set aside now that are gonna go out the door. That is the single largest purge of comics I have ever done, and instead of being a painful or traumatic experience of letting go, it felt like a weight lifted and my brain de-fragged a little. It felt like a healthy choice. It cleared up some mental *and* physical space (I do still have about 20 long boxes or so remaining, so it wasn’t *that* big of a purge, lol). There is some 90’s Valiant & some VEI Valiant in that mix of books I’m letting go of - but I still have kept plenty of both eras that give me joy to read (probably about 3 long boxes worth).
I had to declutter a lot of my comics a few years ago, after ebaying the stuff of higher value I bulk sold 4 long boxes for I think 20 each. It does feel good to go through everything and see what still holds personal value.

I trimmed my Valiants down to mostly pre-Unity and a handful of others, although discussions on this board over the last few years has led me to appreciate post-Unity more and I've re-bought a number of post-Unitys on ebay. There are some things I came to regret selling, but mostly they can easily be re-bought in back issues or newer collections. Also the way that digital media is never really 'owned', some people are moving back to more physical media. Overall I think its always good to occasionally declutter for mental health reasons, but I'll always love real books and real physical media.

grendeljd

Post by grendeljd »

Ryan wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:42:03 pm
grendeljd wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:06:18 am As far as my comic collection goes - I think I’ve got about 5 long boxes-worth of books set aside now that are gonna go out the door. That is the single largest purge of comics I have ever done, and instead of being a painful or traumatic experience of letting go, it felt like a weight lifted and my brain de-fragged a little. It felt like a healthy choice. It cleared up some mental *and* physical space (I do still have about 20 long boxes or so remaining, so it wasn’t *that* big of a purge, lol). There is some 90’s Valiant & some VEI Valiant in that mix of books I’m letting go of - but I still have kept plenty of both eras that give me joy to read (probably about 3 long boxes worth).
I had to declutter a lot of my comics a few years ago, after ebaying the stuff of higher value I bulk sold 4 long boxes for I think 20 each. It does feel good to go through everything and see what still holds personal value.

I trimmed my Valiants down to mostly pre-Unity and a handful of others, although discussions on this board over the last few years has led me to appreciate post-Unity more and I've re-bought a number of post-Unitys on ebay. There are some things I came to regret selling, but mostly they can easily be re-bought in back issues or newer collections. Also the way that digital media is never really 'owned', some people are moving back to more physical media. Overall I think its always good to occasionally declutter for mental health reasons, but I'll always love real books and real physical media.
Totally agree, I have a very strong preference for print books & comics over digital. It’s as I said elsewhere/earlier - only with modern era comics do I feel more comfortable with having digital editions for anything that I enjoy but am not especially inspired by or attached to. Reading a “meh” comic digitally saves me from having to store it somewhere after while still having access to it, and I appreciate that more now. They look virtually the same on screen or on paper to me.

I also agree with you about feeing regrets over selling stuff I may want to look at again later - I’m always concerned about that too. I don’t think I cleared out anything particularly valuable that would be hard to track down later on with this particular purge though if I do regret it later on (although I do have some VEI variants & sketch cover copies I’m letting go of that I have pondered offering up to the boards here before I take it all to the comic shop).

gynta
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by gynta »

The past weeks I've been reading the Valiant books that were published the last 2 or 3 years, starting with Harbinger #1 and ending with A Very Valiantine Special. There were good things like Bloodshot Unleashed by Jon Davis-Hunt or Shadowman, and not so good things like X-O Manowar Unconquered where I sometimes could barely recognize the content of some panels (I think there was some depth lost in the printing process, or Liam Sharpe needs to turn down the brightness of his computer screen so he sees how the panels will look in print), but the book that surprised me the most (maybe because I didn't expect much of it) was A Very Valiantine Special. The stories have depth, there is a stories-spanning element and even a twist in the end. Seeing that this is the first real ValienT book (X-O Manowar Unconquered and Ninjak Superkillers were announced over a year ago by VEI) I an excited and to a degree I am feeling it again!

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

gynta wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:27:02 pm to a degree I am feeling it again!
Glad to hear.

/Magnus

gynta

Post by gynta »

What I want to say is: Give it a chance! Early Valiant was never about great pencillers, flashy images were the domain of Image, appropriately named. Early Valiant was about the writing, the story, and you don't see that be flipping through a book, you have to read it.

aj583
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version

Post by aj583 »

I had mixed feelings about the Valentine’s Day Special. I liked the Dr. Mirage story. Solid artwork and good story. I liked the Aric story throughout each storyline and think they did a good a job peaking my interest on some of the mysteries. I thought the stories and art got progressively weaker from start to finish. I didn’t enjoy the Archer/Faith story and thought the tone of the Bloodshot story was off. But in the end, I loved revisiting what I sensed was the story lines pre-DMG. Great to see Bloodshot characters from the Lemire run and loved Dr Mirage revisited. Overall, it got me hopeful so let’s see where things go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk