New May 2024 Releases announced

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
New May 2024 Releases announced

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Bleeding cool announce new books on the way. Very happy Dan Abnett back on Rai, Cloonan and Conrad on another XO arc, after a re-read of the current arc I’m enjoying it more so.
Don’t know the writers on Bloodshot and the Valiants but you can see a change in direction in terms of going back into continuity, which is good as long as they don’t f&@k it up.

THE VALIANTS #1 (of 4) Written by Ryan Cady. Art by Al Barrionuevo.
BLOODSHOT UNLEASHED: RELOADED #3 (of 4) Written by Mauro Mantella. Art by Rodrigo Rocha
FAITH RETURNS #1 (of 2) Written by Jody Houser. Art by Aleta Vidal.
RAI: THE BOOK OF THE DARQUE #1 (of 2) Written by Dan Abnett. Art by Emilio Utrera.
X-O MANOWAR: INVICTUS #1 (of 4) Written by Becky Cloonan & Michael W. Conrad. Art by Fernando Heinz Furukawa.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Re: New May 2024 Releases announced

Post by ManofTheAtom »

They look very interesting. Darque in the 41st Century is intriguing.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

For someone who is only buying trades and hardcovers from Valiant, I think I am going to miss out on all these one-shot or two-shot issues. :(

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

This looks promising. My hope for Valient is renewed.

Ize
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Antonius Axia
Favorite title: Britannia
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Ize »

Very promising! Looks like they've adapted to the feedback and want to build some momentum.
Liking the reduced page count, good to see that they're introducing more new titles as well - that are trying to keep with continuity.
Just hope that these stories are on point now. If so, by the summer i'd have bought more Valiant titles than i have in years.
Kudus to Alien team for the effort :thumb:

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Ize wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:18:26 am Very promising! Looks like they've adapted to the feedback and want to build some momentum.
Liking the reduced page count, good to see that they're introducing more new titles as well - that are trying to keep with continuity.
Just hope that these stories are on point now. If so, by the summer i'd have bought more Valiant titles than i have in years.
I thought Alien just printed the books, are they making publishing decisions about stories/content?

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

mkb28 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:04:36 pm For someone who is only buying trades and hardcovers from Valiant, I think I am going to miss out on all these one-shot or two-shot issues. :(
Just change your approach :?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:31:25 am
Ize wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:18:26 am Very promising! Looks like they've adapted to the feedback and want to build some momentum.
I thought Alien just printed the books, are they making publishing decisions about stories/content?
ICV2 INTERVIEW: MATIAS TIMARCHI AND DANIELLE WARD OF ALIEN BOOKS

VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT AND ALIEN BOOKS PARTNER TO EXPAND PUBLISHING PLAN FOR THE VALIANT UNIVERSE
On this monumental partnership Timarchi says: “Being able to collaborate on the creation of new stories with Valiant, the third largest connected superhero universe, is truly a dream come true. As a lifelong superhero fan and self-professed geek, the opportunity to work with these incredible characters fills me with boundless enthusiasm. Our goal is to expand the entire Valiant universe by crafting new books that will delight longtime fans while also innovating to engage a new generation of readers interested in webtoons, manga, and digital storytelling experiences. We are immensely proud that Valiant has selected us as their new partners for this thrilling venture, and we are excited to embark on a new chapter in Valiant’s illustrious history.”
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:13:24 am

VALIANT ENTERTAINMENT AND ALIEN BOOKS PARTNER TO EXPAND PUBLISHING PLAN FOR THE VALIANT UNIVERSE
On this monumental partnership Timarchi says: “Being able to collaborate on the creation of new stories with Valiant, the third largest connected superhero universe, is truly a dream come true. As a lifelong superhero fan and self-professed geek, the opportunity to work with these incredible characters fills me with boundless enthusiasm. Our goal is to expand the entire Valiant universe by crafting new books that will delight longtime fans while also innovating to engage a new generation of readers interested in webtoons, manga, and digital storytelling experiences. We are immensely proud that Valiant has selected us as their new partners for this thrilling venture, and we are excited to embark on a new chapter in Valiant’s illustrious history.”
Very interesting to know. Cause for optimism :thumb:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:43:11 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:13:24 am

Very interesting to know. Cause for optimism :thumb:
Yeah.

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:32:03 am
mkb28 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:04:36 pm For someone who is only buying trades and hardcovers from Valiant, I think I am going to miss out on all these one-shot or two-shot issues. :(
Yep, I might have to change it up.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Some nice talent on these books.

aj583
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by aj583 »

Abbot finishing his Rai run with that Darque story is great news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

mkb28 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:30:59 am
I definitely think people should pick up the single issues and not trade-wait for these. If the single issues do well I'm sure it will help them to keep building and doing more series.

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

aj583 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:31:07 am Abbot finishing his Rai run with that Darque story is great news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the solicit:
RAI: THE BOOK OF THE DARQUE #1 (of 2)
Written by Dan Abnett. Art by Emilio Utrera. Cover by Toby Willsmer. Variant cover by Diego Giribaldi.
SADDLE STITCH (STAPLED) 32 pages plus cover. In Shops: May 29, 2024 SRP: $4.99
Hold onto your seats as Rai and Raijin face off against their ultimate nemesis—the sinister Darque! Brace yourselves as the storytelling maestro, Dan Abnett (Nova, the Guardians of the Galaxy), returns triumphantly to conclude his epic run on Rai in this miniseries.
I am pretty much the eternal optimist around here but I have to admit I am surprised that Abnett's big Darque-related event and conclusion to his whole run is only two issues. Hopefully that 32 pages in the solicit means 32 story pages, not including ads. 64 pages at least gives him a shot at a satisfying story. I can't say either of those covers do anything for me. That's one area where Alien could def up their game, at least considering what I've seen so far. I hadn't heard of the interior artist before but he looks more than capable. https://www.artistgo.cl/emilio-utrera/ I am stoked to see Abnett's take on Master Darque! (Or Sandria? Both of them? Their descendants?)

Great to see multiple books and such a nice cross section of characters all in one month!

mkb28

Post by mkb28 »

mkb28 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:30:59 am
The more I read the “Just Not Feeling it Anymore” thread, the more I think I am done buying single issues. I don’t want to mess with bags and boards, storing them in short boxes, and waiting 2 or 4 months to read a complete story. :!:

Finally, with limited resources due to my youngest attending an out of state university, I have to draw the line somewhere. Maybe they can take the Faith 2 shot series and combine them with the other Faith stories that have not been collected in a hardcover format. I would buy that hardcover edition. Punk Mambo, not so much.