Valiant/Alien Books - what’s the best that can happen?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Dallow Spicer1
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: Mid 90's
Favorite character: X-O
Favorite title: X-O
Favorite writer: V-Ditti & Dysart
Favorite artist: Larosa
Valiant/Alien Books - what’s the best that can happen?

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Am wondering what the strategy is for Valiant/Alien books is? What’s the business model? Whose job is it to get the existing fans excited and to bring in new fans?

There’s no Dinesh type person to tell us why we should care about the books or whet our appetites about what the future might hold. There’s virtually zero promotion of the books.

XO unconquered is a big step up from the Hallum run but that’s not saying much. It’s still only a so-so read. Ninjak Superkillers is a dud and I see there doing a Valentine’s special….I wonder precisely who Valiant bosses think are the fan base and are they still chasing the (as yet) mystical new fan base??

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Re: Valiant/Alien Books - what’s the best that can happen?

Post by Ryan »

Movies. VEI has been about finding a way to repackage these characters for Hollywood since day 1.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Ryan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:41:23 am Movies. VEI has been about finding a way to repackage these characters for Hollywood since day 1.
Day 1 they had Dinesh (who did deliver a decent film in Bloodshot), since he was ousted it’s been a downward spiral. But all that is old news.

What’s the publishing strategy here and now?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:12:25 am Day 1 they had Dinesh (who did deliver a decent film in Bloodshot), since he was ousted it’s been a downward spiral. But all that is old news.

I'm not saying movies are bad. You just have to put all the publishing decisions in the context that just publishing comics has never been the end goal. The comics are and have always been (since VEI) a means to an end (movies). Why else would anyone invest the many millions that have been invested into Valiant? Certainly not to try and make that back in the comic book business.

Dallow Spicer1

Post by Dallow Spicer1 »

Ryan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:37:06 am
Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:12:25 am Day 1 they had Dinesh (who did deliver a decent film in Bloodshot), since he was ousted it’s been a downward spiral. But all that is old news.

I'm not saying movies are bad. You just have to put all the publishing decisions in the context that just publishing comics has never been the end goal. The comics are and have always been (since VEI) a means to an end (movies). Why else would anyone invest the many millions that have been invested into Valiant? Certainly not to try and make that back in the comic book business.
I get what you’re saying, but there still has to be a publishing strategy. Presumably it helps film investors if they can sell the fact that the characters ‘are based on a popular comic book’?

What’s the directive for Lysa Hawkins the Valiant editor, keep cranking out instantly forgettable product and reduce the readership?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:04:14 pm
I get what you’re saying, but there still has to be a publishing strategy. Presumably it helps film investors if they can sell the fact that the characters ‘are based on a popular comic book’?

What’s the directive for Lysa Hawkins the Valiant editor, keep cranking out instantly forgettable product and reduce the readership?
Yeah that's a valid question, and it's been valid since DMG took over (and even before IMO but that's a different discussion). But yeah it's 2024 so it's been 6 years(!) of DMG so to me the stuff coming out now seems the same as it's been.

I agree with your point though, the ironic thing about trying so hard to make everything like Marvel movies and ultra-accessible is that you end up with bland material that has no readers, no fans, and thus no films.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Dallow Spicer1 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:12:25 am Day 1 they had Dinesh (who did deliver a decent film in Bloodshot), since he was ousted it’s been a downward spiral.
Ninjak vs. the Valiant Universe? facepalm