Legacy Numbering

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
Legacy Numbering

Post by ManofTheAtom »

If Alien used legacy numbering in their issues of VALIANT that began with the release of the first issue of the first volume of each of the original 18 series Voyager published in the '90s, next year would see the release of X-O Manowar #400. That would be cool.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...
Re: Legacy Numbering

Post by leonmallett »

How do you get to 400 issues of X-O Manowar?
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

leonmallett wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:04:02 am How do you get to 400 issues of X-O Manowar?
It debuted in February of 1992.

11 issues in 1992, plus 12 issues for each consecutive year to the present.

1993 to 2023 is 372 months = 372 issues + 11 from 1992 = 383.

Another 12 for 2024 = 395 issues.

Think Quantum & Woody #32.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:04:50 am
leonmallett wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:04:02 am How do you get to 400 issues of X-O Manowar?

So not actual legacy numbering, but speculative numbering (since publishing could be biweekly, monthly, bimonthly, quarterly etc.). :thumb:
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

A bunch of bad assumptions. 400 months is equal to 33 years, 4 months. It would be a pretty big deal for a comic to be consistently printed for 400 months. Several indy books have made a big deal about hitting 300 - Cerebus, Spawn, Gold Digger.

I’d think the stronger case for legacy numbering is where the issue number adds up all issues of previous volumes, which puts X-O closer to 150, which would still be a pretty good number for any indy book and certainly the longest of the Valiant titles.

But hey, they could do an issue 400 spectacular celebrating the 400th month of X-O in mid 2025. If it gets people talking and buying, that’s the goal. Better still if it was a good issue. Get some previous X-O creators to work on it, maybe written by V-ditti and drawn by Bart Sears?

corey
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Valiant fan since: 1st turok
Favorite character: x-o manowar
Favorite title: x-o manowar

Post by corey »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:23:45 am
A bunch of bad assumptions. 400 months is equal to 33 years, 4 months. It would be a pretty big deal for a comic to be consistently printed for 400 months. Several indy books have made a big deal about hitting 300 - Cerebus, Spawn, Gold Digger.

I’d think the stronger case for legacy numbering is where the issue number adds up all issues of previous volumes, which puts X-O closer to 150, which would still be a pretty good number for any indy book and certainly the longest of the Valiant titles.

But hey, they could do an issue 400 spectacular celebrating the 400th month of X-O in mid 2025. If it gets people talking and buying, that’s the goal. Better still if it was a good issue. Get some previous X-O creators to work on it, maybe written by V-ditti and drawn by Bart Sears?
That would be very neat

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:23:45 am

Exactly.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

leonmallett wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:16:57 am
ManofTheAtom wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:04:50 am

So not actual legacy numbering, but speculative numbering (since publishing could be biweekly, monthly, bimonthly, quarterly etc.). :thumb:
Point.

Ryan
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by Ryan »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:23:45 am A bunch of bad assumptions. 400 months is equal to 33 years, 4 months. It would be a pretty big deal for a comic to be consistently printed for 400 months. Several indy books have made a big deal about hitting 300 - Cerebus, Spawn, Gold Digger.

I agree doing a 400th issue of X-O wouldn't feel the earned achievement it was with Cerebus, Spawn, etc. Now doing a 35th year anniversary special or something like that would be cool.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

I despise legacy numbering, it's what makes impossible to keep track of titles, in any format print or digital, single issue, trades, and hardcovers.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Cyberstrike wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:19:57 pm I despise legacy numbering, it's what makes impossible to keep track of titles, in any format print or digital, single issue, trades, and hardcovers.
It can be preferable to multiple volumes, though. How many number ones does a character need?

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:22:36 pm
Cyberstrike wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:19:57 pm I despise legacy numbering, it's what makes impossible to keep track of titles, in any format print or digital, single issue, trades, and hardcovers.
It can be preferable to multiple volumes, though. How many number ones does a character need?
All of them.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I agree, except in the case of reboots that are in a new continuity. I'm glad that VH2 Donovan Wylie X-O was a new number one instead of being X-O #69.

In my mind, all the VEI X-O's should be Volume 3 since it's the same continuity. So X-O Unconquered #5 would be X-O #90 by my count. Almost to #100 with legacy numbering. The new format might throw this off though. :?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I think it's not the legacy numbering that makes it hard to keep track of, it's the constant flip-flopping between starting new volumes for number ones and then flipping back to legacy numbering when a milestone number comes up. It sucks, but it's how the comic book business is done now.

Ever since Mcfarlane Spm #1 and Jim Lee's X-Men #1 the publishers figured out they can always get a sales spike when they restart the numbering on their major characters. And when the titles are close to 500 or 600 or whatever they switch back to milk the milestone number sales spike. It sucks for the long-term readers and the fans, but it makes a little more money, so fck em right? Welcome to comics.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:56:31 pm
I agree, except in the case of reboots that are in a new continuity. I'm glad that VH2 Donovan Wylie X-O was a new number one instead of being X-O #69.

In my mind, all the VEI X-O's should be Volume 3 since it's the same continuity. So X-O Unconquered #5 would be X-O #90 by my count. Almost to #100 with legacy numbering. The new format might throw this off though. :?
When DC rebooted Superman in the '80s, they renamed "Superman" to "Adventures of Superman" but kept the same numbering despite it being about a different version of the character.

When they rebooted again after Infinite Crisis, they restored the title's name but still kept the numbering despite it still being about a different version of the character.

Then when they rebooted again after Rebirth, they brought back the title and numbering despite it again being about yet another version of the character.

Keeping the title and numbering can work regardless of continuity/content.

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:08:42 am

When DC rebooted Superman in the '80s, they renamed "Superman" to "Adventures of Superman" but kept the same numbering despite it being about a different version of the character.

When they rebooted again after Infinite Crisis, they restored the title's name but still kept the numbering despite it still being about a different version of the character.

Then when they rebooted again after Rebirth, they brought back the title and numbering despite it again being about yet another version of the character.

You just want DC Lite. Great taste, less filling.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Sure anything can be done in any number of ways. I'm just saying I generally don't like when ongoing series relaunch at a number 1, except in the case of a reboot that takes place in a new continuity. Then I don't mind a new volume starting. Just my preference, dude.

daniellew61
Still Valiant after all these years.
Still Valiant after all these years.

Post by daniellew61 »

The need for #1s is because the ordering drops as series go on
You can have it labeled with legacy numbering and still have a new arc start at number 1, like Marvel just did..recently-ish. I can't remember.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

A part of it is that the comics business has changed a lot since the 80s. Back then, a large number was desirable because it showed to the readers that the series/character must be good because it's been going for so long. At some point, people started to think that the large numbers were intimidating to new readers. :? Not sure which is more true, I think something is lost in either case.

I think it was Dark Horse in the early 90s that started to do some of their ongoing series as 'a series of mini-series'. I remember Nexus being like that. Then they added dual numbering, with the ongoing # on the inside in the indicia. There's pros and cons to both approaches. I like older comics though, so for me I usually prefer just sticking with one ongoing continuing number.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

daniellew61 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:52:37 am The need for #1s is because the ordering drops as series go on
You can have it labeled with legacy numbering and still have a new arc start at number 1, like Marvel just did..recently-ish. I can't remember.
Yeah.

Just make the legacy number smaller and, essentially, make the number one bigger with the first issue of a new story arc. Arcs run for four to six issues, so that's between two and four number ones in a year, while retaining the overall legacy number on the cover.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Ryan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:52:02 pm
A part of it is that the comics business has changed a lot since the 80s. Back then, a large number was desirable because it showed to the readers that the series/character must be good because it's been going for so long. At some point, people started to think that the large numbers were intimidating to new readers. :? Not sure which is more true, I think something is lost in either case.

I think it was Dark Horse in the early 90s that started to do some of their ongoing series as 'a series of mini-series'. I remember Nexus being like that. Then they added dual numbering, with the ongoing # on the inside in the indicia. There's pros and cons to both approaches. I like older comics though, so for me I usually prefer just sticking with one ongoing continuing number.
Top Cow did it too for a while, having dual numbers on the cover.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

I do think that VALIANT needs to embrace its legacy because it will make it stronger, not weaker.

As I see it, that is a two-prong process; first, having a robust collection of trades and hardcovers that collect everything VALIANT, Acclaim, and VEI ever published (with the understanding that it would be missing the single issues from the Solar, Turok, and Magnus series -- I'd be curious if that applies to the two-issues Chaos Effect Epilogue mini-series with Magnus in the present, though).

Second, whether it's legacy numbers that give X-O Manowar 150 issues or speculative numbers that give it 400. Either or, neither hurts, it only helps. It makes it clear that these are characters with a history, that they didn't just show up.

Within that history there's US, the fans who have been here from the start.
Last edited by ManofTheAtom on Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:19:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Someone once said in reference to numbering something to the effect of "Dark Phoenix Saga didn't happen in 'X-Men #1, it happened in X-Men #129!'"

Ultimately, it's what's on the inside that matters, even if and when a lower issue number might be preferable for some.

As I mentioned above, that really can be achieved by simply putting more emphasis on the story arc numbering than on the overall issue numbering.

Every time a new arc begins, just make that the most important part of the cover in terms of numbering and title, but still keep the legacy/speculative number around below it, just smaller (though not unnoticeable).

GammaJosh
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite artist: Barry Kitson

Post by GammaJosh »

Legacy numbering would be a draw for me but only if it's done Marvel style summing up all the published issues. Assigning numbers for months when nothing was published actually offends me as a collector. If there's legacy numbering that means you should be able to put all the issues in a box in order with no gaps. I feel like part of my brain would be forever searching for non-existent issues.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

GammaJosh wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:01:12 pm Legacy numbering would be a draw for me but only if it's done Marvel style summing up all the published issues. Assigning numbers for months when nothing was published actually offends me as a collector. If there's legacy numbering that means you should be able to put all the issues in a box in order with no gaps. I feel like part of my brain would be forever searching for non-existent issues.
Because of DC's New 52, we'll never have about five years-worth of issues of Action Comics, Detective Comics, and other titles they cancelled when they did that stunt.

When they brought those series back, they restarted the numbering from what would have been the regular issue of those series released that month. So, instead of continuing Action Comics from where it left off before The New 52 (#904 being the last issue and #905 being the one that should have followed) they restarted it with #957.