Alien Books: "I told you"

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Alien Books: "I told you"

Post by syzhang28 »

Haven't seen the news here (maybe because it's so underwhelming) so at the risk of promoting something people here should care about because of the characters but who knows if they do, I'm posting this. Also, at the risk of some Alien employee jumping down my throat to do damage control.

BRITANNIA: THE GREAT FIRE OF ROME (One shot)
LIVEWIRE & THE SECRET WEAPONS (One shot)
BLOODSHOT UNLEASHED: RELOADED (Book one of two)

Price - I told you they were going to charge this much.
SRP: $12.99
SRP: $9.99

Writers - I told you they were going back to the same old creators. Watch for Fred Vane Lent next.
Written by Peter Milligan.

Artists - I told you they were going for bargain basement names on much of the books who haven't been heard of by the most readers.
Art by Alvaro Papagiani
Cover by Agustin Alessio
Variant Cover by Nico Di Mattia

This one is worrying. They are already needing multiple artists or worse just doing short story collections.
Art by Various Artists

The art looks so mediocre at best. The taglines are tired ("where there is smoke, there is fire", come on. I hope someone was paid for that one). My guess is they are going straight by the profit and loss accounting on these books. Whatever the least number of copies they think they can sell is what the budget is made from. 1,500 copies? Okay, you can hire these guys from overseas, nobody better.

Size - I told you they were going to do this weird thing where they try and package multiple issues into one thing like ibooks did. It never works. No one wants this.
64 pages
56 pages
48 pages

And this is the launch. Where they put their best foot forward. Or should I say this is where they unleash, but also somehow :reloaded, (that name was so bad it made me laugh. Like was it thought up in Spanish and then mistranslated to English?) their best.

Let the damage control begin

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris
Re: Alien Books: "I told you"

Post by Chiclo »

Could syzhang have been right all along?

No. No, it is the children who were wrong.

I am having a hard time here.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Sincerely, thank you. It's been hard. I understand why everyone would believe someone inside Alien rather than me but its been hard being the target they need to destroy to damage control.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Found another possible lie on facebook:

Josh Schwartz: Yeah, it's basically a whole mini-series in one book. I assume DMG Valiant originally intended to publish it as singles.
Danielle Ward: nope about DMG, you're seeing the new-new - story didn't exist yet.

But then:

Judah Radd: I begged Peter Milligan on twitter for this years ago
Lysa Hawkins: This WAS suppose to happen years ago...

So these are all books from DMG or at least pitches from DMG times that are being finished in Alien times and Alien is trying to pretend these are new stories they created...

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:25:57 pm Found another possible lie on facebook:

Josh Schwartz: Yeah, it's basically a whole mini-series in one book. I assume DMG Valiant originally intended to publish it as singles.
Danielle Ward: nope about DMG, you're seeing the new-new - story didn't exist yet.

But then:

So these are all books from DMG or at least pitches from DMG times that are being finished in Alien times and Alien is trying to pretend these are new stories they created...
It can be both. Something that was pitched then but wasn't produced until now.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:35:02 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:25:57 pm Found another possible lie on facebook:

But then:

If that was true you wouldn't say "new-new" or "story didn't exist yet." unless you were trying to cover your *SQUEE* while tricking people into thinking these are all-new from scratch (or new-new as they say)

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:37:45 pm

But then:

If that was true you wouldn't say "new-new" or "story didn't exist yet." unless you were trying to cover your *SQUEE* while tricking people into thinking these are all-new from scratch (or new-new as they say)
I'm pretty sure what Ward is saying is that the comic as it exists now didn't exist then, meaning lettered and colored art pages and such, which was the case with many of the other comics Alien's published, like X-O and Ninjak.

This comic was clearly produced at the behest of Alien. The best way to discern that for sure is to look at the names of the artists, which you yourself disparaged as "bargain basement names who haven't been heard of by the most readers".

In the case of the artist for this comic, Alvaro Papagiani, we see that he works for Altercomics, which only became involved with VALIANT after Alien acquired the license.

https://altercomics.net/portfolio-item/ ... papagiani/

Consequently, this comic would not exist were it not for Alien Books, even if Milligan pitched it to DMG before AB acquired the license.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

While I'm pretty sure the person that lied multiple times about me and caused undue stress and pain is doing it once again.

MartinAlien
Working for the Aliens
Working for the Aliens
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by MartinAlien »

syzhang28 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:01:31 pm Haven't seen the news here (maybe because it's so underwhelming) so at the risk of promoting something people here should care about because of the characters but who knows if they do, I'm posting this. Also, at the risk of some Alien employee jumping down my throat to do damage control.

Writers - I told you they were going back to the same old creators. Watch for Fred Vane Lent next.

Artists - I told you they were going for bargain basement names on much of the books who haven't been heard of by the most readers.
Art by Alvaro Papagiani
Cover by Agustin Alessio

This one is worrying. They are already needing multiple artists or worse just doing short story collections.
Art by Various Artists

The art looks so mediocre at best. The taglines are tired ("where there is smoke, there is fire", come on. I hope someone was paid for that one). My guess is they are going straight by the profit and loss accounting on these books. Whatever the least number of copies they think they can sell is what the budget is made from. 1,500 copies? Okay, you can hire these guys from overseas, nobody better.

Size - I told you they were going to do this weird thing where they try and package multiple issues into one thing like ibooks did. It never works. No one wants this.
64 pages
56 pages
48 pages

And this is the launch. Where they put their best foot forward. Or should I say this is where they unleash, but also somehow :reloaded, (that name was so bad it made me laugh. Like was it thought up in Spanish and then mistranslated to English?) their best.

Thanks for the support, man. :thumb:
Working for the Aliens

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:53:17 pm

But then:

I'm pretty sure what Ward is saying is that the comic as it exists now didn't exist then, meaning lettered and colored art pages and such, which was the case with many of the other comics Alien's published, like X-O and Ninjak.

This comic was clearly produced at the behest of Alien. The best way to discern that for sure is to look at the names of the artists, which you yourself disparaged as "bargain basement names who haven't been heard of by the most readers".

In the case of the artist for this comic, Alvaro Papagiani, we see that he works for Altercomics, which only became involved with VALIANT after Alien acquired the license.

Consequently, this comic would not exist were it not for Alien Books, even if Milligan pitched it to DMG before AB acquired the license.
Also, technically, she is saying the "story didn't exist yet." If it was a pitch of script then that statement would be a lie. If, as you are saying, she meant learring and coloring etc or even art, then "story didn't exist yet." is just not true.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

MartinAlien wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:06:19 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:01:31 pm Haven't seen the news here (maybe because it's so underwhelming) so at the risk of promoting something people here should care about because of the characters but who knows if they do, I'm posting this. Also, at the risk of some Alien employee jumping down my throat to do damage control.

Art by Alvaro Papagiani
Cover by Agustin Alessio

Art by Various Artists

64 pages
56 pages
48 pages

Thanks for the support, man. :thumb:
The comments section on facebook is littered with fans telling you that you're doing this wrong. Don't stick your head in the sand and plow forward. You still have time to get this right. If you do right by these characters I will be as big a supporter as I am a truth teller against it now.

The art is not good enough. I'm sure they are nice people.
The prices are too high.
No one wants this weird format.
Do right by these characters. VEI did and were rewarded. DMG did not and were punished.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:08:24 pm

But then:

Also, technically, she is saying the "story didn't exist yet." If it was a pitch of script then that statement would be a lie. If, as you are saying, she meant learring and coloring etc or even art, then "story didn't exist yet." is just not true.
You need to see things in context. If the art is being done by an artist that works for the studio that is producing the art for the publisher that licensed the characters from DMG, then it did not exist before that.

The worst you can ding Ward for is calling it a story instead of a comic.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:12:45 pm
syzhang28 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:08:24 pm

But then:

You need to see things in context. If the art is being done by an artist that works for the studio that is producing the art for the publisher that licensed the characters from DMG, then it did not exist before that.

The worst you can ding Ward for is calling it a story instead of a comic.
We can agree to very strongly disagree.

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

Bloodshot unleashed reloaded IS a ridiculous title.

I AM already tired of the varying prices and page counts.

Ize
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Antonius Axia
Favorite title: Britannia
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Trevor Hairsine

Post by Ize »

Britannia was a series i really enjoyed at the time and even if it isn't a 'new story', i really look forward to it being released. I'm happy that they're trying to release more monthly books than recently - hopefully the quality will improve with time.
After purchasing Hero Trade 2, Megalith 0 and Save Now 0 from Bad Idea for £32 each plus delivery for an 8 page comic, one won't complain about price / page count :? 8-)

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

I look forward to giving the books a shot. I look forward to the next set of material that will be fully under Alien editorial control. We've had some stinkers before, but maybe if folks buy the format and books we'll see better and better talent in the future.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

syzhang28, you seem invested in being angry about books you haven't had the opportunity to read or judge yet.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

leonmallett wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:27:57 am syzhang28, you seem invested in being angry about books you haven't had the opportunity to read or judge yet.
But is he wrong?

leonmallett
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

Chiclo wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:17:38 am
leonmallett wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:27:57 am syzhang28, you seem invested in being angry about books you haven't had the opportunity to read or judge yet.
But is he wrong?
Until the books are printed, then in reader hands, and people then know what they are paying for how many pages, and ultimately what they think of the content, then he is neither right nor wrong, simply angry.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

Chiclo

Post by Chiclo »

leonmallett wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:03:05 pm
But is he wrong?
Until the books are printed, then in reader hands, and people then know what they are paying for how many pages, and ultimately what they think of the content, then he is neither right nor wrong, simply angry.
The world makes sense again.

aj583
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Eternal Warrior V1 Version
Favorite title: Harbinger

Post by aj583 »

I’m very much looking forward to giving Alien a shot. I do hope the stories and art are of strong quality. That will be the decider as the bar has been set high from the 2012 VEI days.

For me, I totally welcome the longer prestige formats. I’d love to move away from floppies. Like the idea of reading more content in one go round. And better chance that my son will read these longer, contained stories in this cool format.

Also, I appreciate @MartinAlien and Danielle being on these boards as they prepare for launch. More than we got in the past. Makes me feel like we have a potential avenue for constructive dialog on what the fan base is interested in that could help get the fans back in the long term.

As for me, Alien team, I truly hope your creative teams emerse themselves in the 2012-2018 run of books from all the previous great artists and writers. I’d love to finally see some continuity with the valiant books that brought me back to collecting after a long hiatus. Plan out stories 12-18 months in advance…have a master plan with Valiant universe and let's get those annual cross-overs back.

I hope many others on this board will give them a shot too and let the quality of the books be the ultimate decision maker on our support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

Ize wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:41:39 am Britannia was a series i really enjoyed at the time and even if it isn't a 'new story', i really look forward to it being released. I'm happy that they're trying to release more monthly books than recently - hopefully the quality will improve with time.
After purchasing Hero Trade 2, Megalith 0 and Save Now 0 from Bad Idea for £32 each plus delivery for an 8 page comic, one won't complain about price / page count :? 8-)
The quality difference is sizable between Alien and Bad Idea, who just might be making the best comics right now.

syzhang28
Re: Alien Books:

Post by syzhang28 »

aj583 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:00:23 pm
Also, I appreciate @MartinAlien and Danielle being on these boards as they prepare for launch. More than we got in the past. Makes me feel like we have a potential avenue for constructive dialog on what the fan base is interested in that could help get the fans back in the long term.
I think it's rinky dink and (the way they attack fans with dissenting views) unprofessional. You didn't see Dinesh posting here much during VEI, you don't see the heads of Marvel or DC posting in message boards often. You don't see heads of movie companies or video game studios posting either. There's a reason for that.

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

leonmallett wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:03:05 pm
But is he wrong?
Past is prologue. These books will be just as bad as the other DMG and just as bad as the other Alien books. Especially now that we see the scattershot approach, the low rent creators and the lack of attention to quality have persisted. You can disagree with me but it's just another 'I told you so' post from me in the making...

syzhang28

Post by syzhang28 »

But is he wrong?
QFT