ICV2 INTERVIEW: MATIAS TIMARCHI AND DANIELLE WARD OF ALIEN BOOKS

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool
ICV2 INTERVIEW: MATIAS TIMARCHI AND DANIELLE WARD OF ALIEN BOOKS

Post by ManofTheAtom »

:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

The Chosen 1
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Ninjak
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis Larosa
Re: ICV2 INTERVIEW: MATIAS TIMARCHI AND DANIELLE WARD OF ALIEN BOOKS

Post by The Chosen 1 »

Thats an awesome article. It's good to see Alien get some exposure

I'm guessing this puts to bed that Danielle actually works for Alien/Valiant instead of know-it-alls taking their idiotic speculation.
The Force is with Me, I am One with the Force

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Im intrigued by the new format. I like “floppies.” But I know they are of the past. The “prestige” format is interesting. I don’t care if a book has ads or not. If they are cheaper, that’s great.

I like that they aren’t giving up on HC books.

I’m interested in reading Valiant in Spanish. I am trying to learn and get books in Mexico when I can, but they are rarely things I want to read. That would be awesome.

I hope these folks can make it work. They seem innovative and not afraid to take a chance on a company like Valiant, which has had some ups and downs with licensing and kickstarters.

I hope we can reap the rewards.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The Chosen 1 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:56:02 pm

I'm guessing this puts to bed that Danielle actually works for Alien/Valiant instead of know-it-alls taking their idiotic speculation.
I've been saying that as the release approaches we'd see eye-opening interviews like this one.

I'm sure some will take issue with DMG still calling the shots on what Alien can and cannot do, but hopefully things will work out well. In an ideal world, DMG will give Alien the same kind of seeming free reign Golden/Random did Voyager in the '90s with Magnus, Solar, and Turok.
:atomic: Comics are like a Rorschach test, everyone has a different opinion on what they are and can be... :atomic:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

nycjadie wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:00:05 pm Im intrigued by the new format. I like “floppies.” But I know they are of the past. The “prestige” format is interesting. I don’t care if a book has ads or not. If they are cheaper, that’s great.

I’m interested in reading Valiant in Spanish. I am trying to learn and get books in Mexico when I can, but they are rarely things I want to read. That would be awesome.

I hope these folks can make it work. They seem innovative and not afraid to take a chance on a company like Valiant, which has had some ups and downs with licensing and kickstarters.

I've known since the '90s, when prestige format, 48-page perfect bound books like Kingdom Come were the rage at DC that they'd become the future of the format. I'm glad to see VALIANT going in that direction.

I haven't purchased Spanish reprints of American comics here in Mexico in decades. I used to get them at the corner newsstand. I have no idea where they could be sold now, especially prestige format comics like the ones Alien publishes. I must assume they're sold at comic stores, but I have no clue. I might look into it someday.

The Chosen 1

Post by The Chosen 1 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:07:36 pm

I've been saying that as the release approaches we'd see eye-opening interviews like this one.

I'm sure some will take issue with DMG still calling the shots on what Alien can and cannot do, but hopefully things will work out well. In an ideal world, DMG will give Alien the same kind of seeming free reign Golden/Random did Voyager in the '90s with Magnus, Solar, and Turok.
I wonder how it will work in this arrangement when a new character is created and introduced. Will it be like the Gold Key/Valiant relationship or if it's in a Valiant title, then DMG own the character?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

The Chosen 1 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:43:47 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:07:36 pm

I wonder how it will work in this arrangement when a new character is created and introduced. Will it be like the Gold Key/Valiant relationship or if it's in a Valiant title, then DMG own the character?
Well, Rai was first introduced in an issue of Magnus and Voyager owned him. Presumably, Alien will similarly own any new characters too.

The indicia in those VALIANT comics pointed out that characters originally appearing in comics published by Western were owned by Western Publishing Company, while especifically-named new characters like Rai were owned by Voyager. You can check it out yourself if you have those issues handy.

syzhang28
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by syzhang28 »

This interview literally confirms so many things I said my store told me. From the larger format to the higher price to the quantity of books a month to DMG calling the shots and approving the publishing plan. I've been told so much more since then but I'm not going to suffer through trying to tell people that don't want to hear it or attacks from Alien employees who try and pretend the facts aren't true when they know they are and then proof like this comes out.

Also, there's at least one flat out lie in the interview. "The retailers only get cents out of a $3.99" No they do not. They get on average 50% of that $3.99. Why lie?

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:42:24 am This interview literally confirms so many things I said my store told me. From the larger format to the higher price to the quantity of books a month to DMG calling the shots and approving the publishing plan. I've been told so much more since then but I'm not going to suffer through trying to tell people that don't want to hear it or attacks from Alien employees who try and pretend the facts aren't true when they know they are and then proof like this comes out.

Also, there's at least one flat out lie in the interview. "The retailers only get cents out of a $3.99" No they do not. They get on average 50% of that $3.99. Why lie?
It does track with some of what you've said.

daniellew61
Still Valiant after all these years.

Post by daniellew61 »

syzhang28 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:42:24 am This interview literally confirms so many things I said my store told me. From the larger format to the higher price to the quantity of books a month to DMG calling the shots and approving the publishing plan. I've been told so much more since then but I'm not going to suffer through trying to tell people that don't want to hear it or attacks from Alien employees who try and pretend the facts aren't true when they know they are and then proof like this comes out.

Prices and format were confirmed a million years ago. As well as me explaining how a licensing deal works here. it's been a pretty easy process.

So do you think I'm saving all the Company fighting, bringing back Dinesh, Gold Key reboot, and Jim Shooter returning - ??- I didn't see those in this interview lol

Don't give Alien all the credit, you also had a Valiant employee who' still working there responding to debunk some of the weirdness. Hey, we were in a position to confirm/deny - obviously, we wanted to hide the exciting conspiracy, because of the deep secrets since this goes straight to the top, top members of the world Illuminati. Wait till you hear about how much blood we all drink from sacrificed goats.

Oh but the cost thing I can clarify and want to, stores are hurting, especially right now -
About the cents thing - I was there and I know how he talks - He was using cents as a figure of speech, it didn't translate well here (English is not first language) -I'll give you that, but it wasn't intended as a lie on the actual costs, which everyone knows for themselves depending on their distribution terms - but also you can factor in the other costs besides just a comic - when you deduct the time it cost to place the order, the shipping costs of getting the product to the shop(SHIPPING PRICES ARE NUTS RIGHT NOW!), unpacking (paying staff to work moving books around), marketing it in the store - that takes huge deductions from stores to that pile on the cost of paying for the comics - so it does hurt their costs A LOT, depending on the store - they really barely make cents back on single issues when you break it down....it sucks for sure. Hopefully, people buy more of bigger issues! Support your LCS, they have it rought!

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

daniellew61 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:14:18 pm Wait till you hear about how much blood we all drink from sacrificed goats.
Poor Vincent...

daniellew61

Post by daniellew61 »

Yea we bring the characters into this reality and then kill them for real, so we can't even publish books about them anymore. Quantum and Woody were the first to go along with all animal characters. Now I need to find Jesse, Savage, and all those secret weapons kids -

daniellew61

Post by daniellew61 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:11:31 pm
nycjadie wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:00:05 pm Im intrigued by the new format. I like “floppies.” But I know they are of the past. The “prestige” format is interesting. I don’t care if a book has ads or not. If they are cheaper, that’s great.

I've known since the '90s, when prestige format, 48-page perfect bound books like Kingdom Come were the rage at DC that they'd become the future of the format. I'm glad to see VALIANT going in that direction.

I haven't purchased Spanish reprints of American comics here in Mexico in decades. I used to get them at the corner newsstand. I have no idea where they could be sold now, especially prestige format comics like the ones Alien publishes. I must assume they're sold at comic stores, but I have no clue. I might look into it someday.
Moztros did them, but not single issues, just hardcovers. I don't think they sell them in Mexcio, I'll ask around for you, but just look up Moztros - I'm honestly not sure where they distribute - I've seen some other spanish long ago in the office stuff but I don't think it was the same company

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

daniellew61 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:19:34 pm Quantum and Woody were the first to go along with all animal characters.
That's a good start, heh.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

daniellew61 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:23:26 pm

Moztros did them, but not single issues, just hardcovers. I don't think they sell them in Mexcio, I'll ask around for you, but just look up Moztros - I'm honestly not sure where they distribute - I've seen some other spanish long ago in the office stuff but I don't think it was the same company
Cool.

MartinAlien
Working for the Aliens
Working for the Aliens
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Armstrong
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong

Post by MartinAlien »

daniellew61 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:14:18 pm

Prices and format were confirmed a million years ago. As well as me explaining how a licensing deal works here. it's been a pretty easy process.

So do you think I'm saving all the Company fighting, bringing back Dinesh, Gold Key reboot, and Jim Shooter returning - ??- I didn't see those in this interview lol

Don't give Alien all the credit, you also had a Valiant employee who' still working there responding to debunk some of the weirdness. Hey, we were in a position to confirm/deny - obviously, we wanted to hide the exciting conspiracy, because of the deep secrets since this goes straight to the top, top members of the world Illuminati. Wait till you hear about how much blood we all drink from sacrificed goats.

Oh but the cost thing I can clarify and want to, stores are hurting, especially right now -
About the cents thing - I was there and I know how he talks - He was using cents as a figure of speech, it didn't translate well here (English is not first language) -I'll give you that, but it wasn't intended as a lie on the actual costs, which everyone knows for themselves depending on their distribution terms - but also you can factor in the other costs besides just a comic - when you deduct the time it cost to place the order, the shipping costs of getting the product to the shop(SHIPPING PRICES ARE NUTS RIGHT NOW!), unpacking (paying staff to work moving books around), marketing it in the store - that takes huge deductions from stores to that pile on the cost of paying for the comics - so it does hurt their costs A LOT, depending on the store - they really barely make cents back on single issues when you break it down....it sucks for sure. Hopefully, people buy more of bigger issues! Support your LCS, they have it rought!
You forgot about: "Alien has started hiring writers and artists. Mostly original Valiant creators from the 90s" (...) "Dinesh introduced them to an editor for them to hire (he didn't catch her name) and some creators who were their including Frank Miller, again he was suggesting they work with them" (...) "He only knew that other thing involved Joshua Dysart and Robert Venditti..." Among other gems.

I still crack a smile every time I read this.
Working for the Aliens

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

To the issue of whether or not Alien will own any new characters, that is an interesting question given that the VALIANT Universe is only under license.

The Chosen 1

Post by The Chosen 1 »

deleted post

nycjadie
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.

Post by nycjadie »

Valiant at one point had a deal with Kamite in Mexico. I have a few of them but they were hard to get. It also didn’t last long. They are a great company. I bought some Saga and TMNT issues they produced, but I have a hard time finding them even in Mexico City.

I do have 4 Spanish Vakiant books from 2017. Not sure if they produced more.

I’d love some Spanish books that are my speed. I see mainly manga titles when I’m in CDMX, which is just not my jam.

I am rooting for you guys to knock it out of the park. Thanks for keeping my childhood alive and kicking.

daniellew61

Post by daniellew61 »

nycjadie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:28:41 pm

Valiant at one point had a deal with Kamite in Mexico. I have a few of them but they were hard to get. It also didn’t last long. They are a great company. I bought some Saga and TMNT issues they produced, but I have a hard time finding them even in Mexico City.

I do have 4 Spanish Vakiant books from 2017. Not sure if they produced more.

I’d love some Spanish books that are my speed. I see mainly manga titles when I’m in CDMX, which is just not my jam.

I am rooting for you guys to knock it out of the park. Thanks for keeping my childhood alive and kicking.
if things pick up enough perhaps we can do multi-language release editions when it would make sense price wise aned d enough people seem interest

but thanks Jade Thanks!! It's been a battle, especially this year. I see how much it's sucked for you guys too, especially 1 book a month, it's going to start getting much better - as long as we all hang in there! I did, and Lysa did - and it's paying off so far ....but just remember one of the most important things we need right now as we start...the best thing to do - is to buy the comics please!!!

daniellew61

Post by daniellew61 »

ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:20:23 pm To the issue of whether or not Alien will own any new characters, that is an interesting question given that the VALIANT Universe is only under license.
New Valiant characters, or just any new characters in general?

The Chosen 1

Post by The Chosen 1 »

daniellew61 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:10:09 pm
ManofTheAtom wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:20:23 pm To the issue of whether or not Alien will own any new characters, that is an interesting question given that the VALIANT Universe is only under license.
I'll be buying any Valiant titles that released. So you have one confirmed buyer.

When i asked about new Valient characters, i did mean any new characters intrduced into the Valint universe. Will they be Valiant owned Characters or Alien Books owned characters?

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

daniellew61 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:19:34 pm Yea we bring the characters into this reality and then kill them for real, so we can't even publish books about them anymore. Quantum and Woody were the first to go along with all animal characters. Now I need to find Jesse, Savage, and all those secret weapons kids -
I feel a little threatened here, you guys.

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

Chiclo wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:36:33 pm
daniellew61 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:19:34 pm Yea we bring the characters into this reality and then kill them for real, so we can't even publish books about them anymore. Quantum and Woody were the first to go along with all animal characters. Now I need to find Jesse, Savage, and all those secret weapons kids -
I feel a little threatened here, you guys.
:lol:

ManofTheAtom
Deathmate was cool
Deathmate was cool

Post by ManofTheAtom »

daniellew61 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:10:09 pm
New VALIANT characters.